• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 476 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

great, comfortable, powerful cruiser

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "classy, comfortable, powerful, safe, practical."

Cons: "mileage isn't great, good shops aren't always easy"

"A great car with fantastic value on the used market."

Super Reliable Diesel

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, comfort, reliability, parts"

Cons: "underpowered"

"Love this car! A bit underpowered, but I'm claiming 30-38 mpg :). Cruising down the highway is a comfort at any speed, it enjoys 75 beautifully. I couldn't be happier with my 300."

best car

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

"very good"

Great bang for the buck (if you can find one)

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun, comfortable, and very safe."

Cons: "Not very well suited for cold weather, snow/ice."

"E55's are great cars. Powerful, fast, handle great, very comfortable and quiet. I bought this car mainly due to its safety. Definitely one of the safest vehicles built, out rank almost every other car out there. These cars are quite fast from the factory. They're hot-rods disguised as a family sedan. They run 13.0-13.5 bone stock from the factory. They corner like they're on rails, and stop on a dime due to the humongous brakes. Surprisingly, some parts are REALLY cheap right from the dealer (mainly suspension parts), other parts aren't quite as cheap. Front brakes cost $1k to do, however, you do them only once every 100k. The ride is firm yet doesn't jar you like a sports car does. The ride is further enhanced by the air filled seats (super comfortable). The interior layout is fairly simple and aesthetically pleasing with the dark wood finish. The only drawback for some people may be the COMAND (nav/radio) unit. It will take some getting used to. The ride is VERY quiet. The loudest thing on the car are the tires, which aren't really all that loud. The activated charcoal filters filter out any undesired smells, allergens and so forth. You can drive behind a truck spewing diesel smoke and not smell it. They have very few issues mechanically, however, if you can't fix it yourself, it may cost you a pretty penny to get it repaired (shops see the MB star and immediately want to charge you an arm and a leg). Being a professional mechanic, the more I work on this car, the more I realize the beauty of its simplicity to repair. It's actually quite easy to work on. All in all, a great car for the money."

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

I love my car

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"I have owned this turbo-diesel for several years now. It is my first car besides hand-me-down loaners from family and it has been and is a great car. It drives great, is like a tank and gets surprisingly good mileage for how heavy and old it is (25-28 mpg). I love the quirky features like the pop-up cup holder and the keypad radio buttons that allow you to type in a particular station. There is even a button to drop all three rear seat headrests; so random. I even like the tape deck because it allows me to use a tape converter for my iPhone that has greater sound fidelity than the over the radio adapters. It has a comfortable ride and handles great even at 15 years old."

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

"This is a Beautiful Vehicle, my personal opinion is that it was designed for a man verses a woman (the seating and the front of the vehicle designed for tall individuals). It has a great engine. The interior is nice. Only complaint, since I am original owner- THE RUST on the door. Mercedes products are suppose to be high quality and for the price why????? The trunk is very roomy and back seat has lots of room for a child seat and passenger. Totally love this vehicle, just wish the body did NOT have RUST and that the company would stand by product. Thanks"

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

If a 30mpg ,who would need any other car?

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Cons: "20 mpg"

"This is the finest car I have ever driven. Not that I would not like to have driven a Lamborghini, I still have use for an off road vehicle, this car is just not the do all nor be all that one could need. Still, if you go to the opera or finer resturants, you are given proper attention. Just don't go off road."

best vehicle

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

"Good runner"

Near-perfect family vehicle, with style, too!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Road-trip comfort, capacity, fuel efficiency."

Cons: "Not great in muddy or snowy conditions"

"I have loved this model for many reasons, including its comfort on long road trips; its adaptability to a range of situations, including hauling surfboards, backpacks, kids, and arriving in style at a fancy hotel; and its fuel efficiency (for a robust gasoline engine). I would buy a similar model again in a heartbeat, but I'd go for the AWD version."

My 6th E-Class

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "build quality, durabilty and engine reliabilty."

Cons: "cheaper components than those used in older Mercs."

"To me the Mercedes Benz E-Class is one of the best "all around" cars you can buy. I typically have owned mostly V8 E-Class sedans. They are extremely quiet, powerful yet still achieve very good gas mileage. My E420 with the 4.2L V8 consistently gets 26-26 mpg. even when cruising between 75-85 mph. Not bad for a car that gets 300Lb.Ft of torque and has 275 h.p. The chassis is very well built and handles like a car half its size. Its not as big as an S-Class but still has enough room for my wife and 3 kids if needed. My next car will definitely be a W211 E-Class (like my wifes!) Salute to Daimler Benz for getting it right all these years!"

Was engineered for the Autobahn.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Rock soild and safe"

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy"

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

Rock solid ride

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Was designed for the Autobahn."

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy."

""Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes. ""

Rock solid ride

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Was designed for the Autobahn."

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy."

Cons: "People will think you are rich."

A wonderful car! Comfortable, reliable, fun.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

"This wagon has hauled people, luggage, groceries and provided comfortable, reliable service to us all. It is beautiful, comfortable and the best car I have ever owned. I have kept it for 15 years because it has been such a good car. Would like to keep it for more, but it is time to upgrade. Sad to let it go."

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE, COMFORTABLE, SAFE"

Cons: "cup holders break"

"Purchased this car at 13K miles, it has had maintenance at a certified mbz garage and it has been very reliable for my family, have taken it on long 2000 plus trips with all 7 seats filled and a cargo case on the top and it stills get 25 plus mpg...it runs and looks great...one complaint, can't our car makers get the cup holder thang figured out...."

Drives like brand new!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "handles extremely well under bad driving condition"

Cons: "expensive maintenance"

"Beautiful ride. This car drives just as well as when it came off the lot! I wouldn't drive any other car but the Mercedes Benz. Passing it down to my daughter. It's a keeper!"

I have driven it rides good and I want it.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I don't own this car

"Can't review because I'm trying to buy it."

E300 Diesel, one of the classics

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Steering, Reliabilty, Fuel Mileage (36 hwy),classy"

Cons: "Glow plugs"

"What an amazing car. When driving my E300 I never worry about any problems. The engine runs so smooth. This is a serious do it yourselfer car. I can take this car apart with basic to moderate skills. The amount of detail that went into this car is amazing. Every bolt I've turned is a nice product. One problem for this car is Glow plugs getting stuck so be careful other than that It's a solid car that'll go as far as you want with oil 5,000-7500mi changes."