1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 469 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

"This is a Beautiful Vehicle, my personal opinion is that it was designed for a man verses a woman (the seating and the front of the vehicle designed for tall individuals). It has a great engine. The interior is nice. Only complaint, since I am original owner- THE RUST on the door. Mercedes products are suppose to be high quality and for the price why????? The trunk is very roomy and back seat has lots of room for a child seat and passenger. Totally love this vehicle, just wish the body did NOT have RUST and that the company would stand by product. Thanks"

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

If a 30mpg ,who would need any other car?

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Cons: "20 mpg"

"This is the finest car I have ever driven. Not that I would not like to have driven a Lamborghini, I still have use for an off road vehicle, this car is just not the do all nor be all that one could need. Still, if you go to the opera or finer resturants, you are given proper attention. Just don't go off road."

best vehicle

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

"Good runner"

Near-perfect family vehicle, with style, too!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Road-trip comfort, capacity, fuel efficiency."

Cons: "Not great in muddy or snowy conditions"

"I have loved this model for many reasons, including its comfort on long road trips; its adaptability to a range of situations, including hauling surfboards, backpacks, kids, and arriving in style at a fancy hotel; and its fuel efficiency (for a robust gasoline engine). I would buy a similar model again in a heartbeat, but I'd go for the AWD version."

My 6th E-Class

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "build quality, durabilty and engine reliabilty."

Cons: "cheaper components than those used in older Mercs."

"To me the Mercedes Benz E-Class is one of the best "all around" cars you can buy. I typically have owned mostly V8 E-Class sedans. They are extremely quiet, powerful yet still achieve very good gas mileage. My E420 with the 4.2L V8 consistently gets 26-26 mpg. even when cruising between 75-85 mph. Not bad for a car that gets 300Lb.Ft of torque and has 275 h.p. The chassis is very well built and handles like a car half its size. Its not as big as an S-Class but still has enough room for my wife and 3 kids if needed. My next car will definitely be a W211 E-Class (like my wifes!) Salute to Daimler Benz for getting it right all these years!"

Was engineered for the Autobahn.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Rock soild and safe"

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy"

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

Rock solid ride

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Was designed for the Autobahn."

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy."

""Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes. ""

Rock solid ride

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Was designed for the Autobahn."

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy."

Cons: "People will think you are rich."

A wonderful car! Comfortable, reliable, fun.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

"This wagon has hauled people, luggage, groceries and provided comfortable, reliable service to us all. It is beautiful, comfortable and the best car I have ever owned. I have kept it for 15 years because it has been such a good car. Would like to keep it for more, but it is time to upgrade. Sad to let it go."

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE, COMFORTABLE, SAFE"

Cons: "cup holders break"

"Purchased this car at 13K miles, it has had maintenance at a certified mbz garage and it has been very reliable for my family, have taken it on long 2000 plus trips with all 7 seats filled and a cargo case on the top and it stills get 25 plus mpg...it runs and looks great...one complaint, can't our car makers get the cup holder thang figured out...."

Drives like brand new!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "handles extremely well under bad driving condition"

Cons: "expensive maintenance"

"Beautiful ride. This car drives just as well as when it came off the lot! I wouldn't drive any other car but the Mercedes Benz. Passing it down to my daughter. It's a keeper!"

I have driven it rides good and I want it.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I don't own this car

"Can't review because I'm trying to buy it."

E300 Diesel, one of the classics

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Steering, Reliabilty, Fuel Mileage (36 hwy),classy"

Cons: "Glow plugs"

"What an amazing car. When driving my E300 I never worry about any problems. The engine runs so smooth. This is a serious do it yourselfer car. I can take this car apart with basic to moderate skills. The amount of detail that went into this car is amazing. Every bolt I've turned is a nice product. One problem for this car is Glow plugs getting stuck so be careful other than that It's a solid car that'll go as far as you want with oil 5,000-7500mi changes."

comfort, power, reliability

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

"An MBZ with a bonus. From day one, 12 years ago, a pleasure"

junk

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Looks, handleing (except in snow), power & ride"

Cons: "front suspension wears out FAST ex tie rods"

"Expect to spend on average $875for repairs ever 6 months after warranty is up. I wanted this style from the first time I saw it. Looks are great in and out. Quality on major parts garbage."

Wonderful car - best ever

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "a real workhorse"

"Have driven this car for 11 years with no major problems, just routine maintenance. This is a tank - would keep it but need something "newer" for my business vehicle. They don't make them like this anymore!"

Constant $1,000+ repairs

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Great comfort and handling compared to a van or SU"

Cons: "Not worth the price paid new."

"Rust all the time despite washing and garaged. Noticed same rust on other MB wagons. Left rear fender and tail gate especially. Shock towers in front constantly break. Light bulbs always burning out."

My, my, my!!! What an awesome car to own.

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "Build, timelessness, power, speed, solidarity, mpg"

Cons: "No open roads in U.S.A. to realize it's true power"

"In all the years I've been driving, and all the cars I've owned, not one of them has ever come as close to pleasing me in every single aspect as this 2002 E55 AMG. The later AMGs have these ridiculously powerful engines that boast around 500 HP, but for what?! My 2002 is rock solid at 355 horses, and the one or two times I've had it up to about 125 mph, the thing was still biting to get ahead before I had to pull on the pony reigns. As for the look, build and solidarity? At 12 years old it continues to turn heads, the engine and drivetrain are as solid as any car on the road (when well maintained), and squeaks, rattles and noises are non-existent at any speed. If you're looking to buy a car that runs and turns heads like any on the road valued north of $80,000, you can easily pick up one of these that's been well taken care of for less than $14,000 in 2014. Like any car, do your due diligence in researching the background and history on one of these street-legal race cars. Seldomly does anyone ever buy a car like this to drive slowly in the right-hand lane. As with every Mercedes I've ever owned, this one like all Mercedes automobiles persists in having the same nuance I've always complained about, which is the Cruise Control Lever that pushes forward to cancel, and pulls toward you to engage. Humanistically, it seems more natural to be just the opposite. HAPPY MOTORING!!!, and keep up on those scheduled maintenance requests."

Drives and looks like new even after 155K miles

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "most comfortable ride. Totally quiet for a diesel"

Cons: "Wish I had ordered heated front seats"

There she is

"She is my 4th diesel MB. Every one of them went beyond 300K with no trouble. I take good care of them and serviced regularly every 5k miles. Though expensive, each one was worth the price. Once you experience its ride, you will never like another type of car. My 1999 TD has no bad qualities. The engine and transmission are flawless. Retiring, and moving overseas, where I cannot take her. Sad to part with my friend for 14 years. She still looks like just came out of the showroom! A beautiful car."

There she is