1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 500 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Saved my life

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Extremely safe. Very comfortable. Heated seats!"

Cons: "No coffee cup holder"

"The earlier E-Series saved my life when I was rear-ended at high speed twice (Two cars each misjudged and slammed into the back of my stopped Mercedes). Middle driver in a Lexus SUV very badly injured. I had not even a bruise. This car at 100,000 miles is just as nice a ride as when I bought it used at 30,000 miles. I have driven it in snow, sleet, driving rains, etc. Handles all well. Very comfortable interior. This is not a sports car, it is a car to get you from A to B -- wherever you drive -- and do so safely and in luxury. I buy my Mercedes used and I am very loyal since my previous E class saved my life. I own many cars, since I have a large family and many American cars. The Mercedes are always in a class by themselves. My only complaint for the 2002 Mercedes is that it needed more coffee holders. Thank you Mercedes Benz."

Great Value for what you get.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Value vs Luxury"

Cons: "Cost of repair/parts"

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

"Better know a mechanic or reasonable priced repair facility or do-it-yourself. The parts can be expensive. I have replaced both exhaust catalytic converters (fortunately the now make remanufactured converters). The crankshaft position sensor wil need replacing at some point. The outside mirrors will change colors (buy used). Some other minor stuff. But the car drives great and has great fuel economy."

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

saved my life

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Good reliability and value"

Cons: "flimsy cupholders"

"I had an 2002 E-320 4matic with 158,000 miles on it, I rear ended somebody and it got totaled, but the safety features saved my life, the hood folded up and the engine mount went downwards, I was able to find another 2002 E-320 RWD with 84000. miles on it and it drives like new, I definitely would recommend this line of Mercedes Benz."

E-320

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"Bought this car as a used car, which had been reasonably well mainteined over the years. Very minor cosmetic issues. The engine is very reliable and the transmission very smooth. It is comfortable, although sometimes I would wish for an extra inch at the well (I'm 6.2" and have long legs). I am happy with it and will invest in some issues which have come up (after all, it does have 117,000 miles) and bring it up to snuff. The gas mileage is good (av. 20 mpg 18 city/24 road - although premium, which offsets the good mileage, lower cost issue) and should last a few more years with a relatively modest investment in repairs."

the car has been constantly in the shop

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I purchased the car used with only 50,000 .The car has not been very reliable.The break lights are out every 6mon's.I have to start the car in N,not in park..I have replaced the A/C compressor,Motor Mounts, Blower Motor Regulator,constants electrical problems and the engine lights keeps coming on. The car in now park in the driveway.. The car only has 78,000miles now and $6,000plus in repairs...I'm not happy because this was to be my retirement car...."

They just don't make them like this anymore....

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "$ has come down recently. Built like a tank."

Cons: "Front cup holder, rear window regulators."

"What a great car. Even though mine is (almost) 15 years old, I still get compliments and questions at gas stations and in parking lots all the time. Classic Mercedes look and built like a tank. You can really get a feel for how well the car is built the moment you start it. I looked at a 2010 E-class a few weeks ago and thought about trading mine in, until I drove the new one. This car has so many advantages to the newer ones. ($$, too) Great on twisty roads (don't treat it like a small two-door though) good mileage for a strong V-8 and a wonderful highway ride. Again, build quality is great, but remember, it is a car, and let's face it, cars break sometimes. Mine has only been in the shop twice, and both times hurt. Finding a small repair shop to fix these things can be tough so you may be stuck with returning to the dealer for repairs. OUCH! If you buy one, keep it maintained and I bet you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine."

I love my wagon!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"We bought the 1999 E320 wagon used for $11K, in 2005 and it had 105,000 miles on it. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband. At 115,000 miles, we had to have some transmission work done to the tune of $1700. Since then, we have not any additional issues other than a few small things. Like, the back passenger window motor went out about 2 years ago. The auto locks don't work (but the alarm does). The AC went out at about 130K miles, but we replaced with a private mechanic for $750. Don't take this car to a MB dealer - you will pay top dollar for repairs. We have also replaced the oxygen sensor at 175K - bought the part for $80 and my hubby put in it. It now needs an oil sensor - again, the part is under $100. I have never been stranded in this car and told my hubby when we got it that I would keep it until the odometer read 200K. We're there and as long as she'll run, I'll drive her! My only complaint is that our boys are getting bigger and that big seat isn't growing any. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband."

Best Car Yet!

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"I purchased this car about a year ago with 209,000 and 15,000 miles later I didn't have to do anything to it except New Tires and Routine Service. Most people are turned away from a car that has high mileage but as most people know Mercedes run forever as long as they are well taken care of. Make sure that before you do buy a car with High Mileage make sure that you have it checked by someone who knows what to look for especially invisible problems that you cant see with the naked eye. I know I got a great deal because I bought this car for 4,400 and the Kelly blue book at the time was I believe around 7,500. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone and that just because a car has high mileage doesn't mean its a piece of junk!"

Best car I have ever own for the money.

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Costly repairs but not that often."

"I've owned several high end cars and usually trade them in before I get close to +80k miles. But this car even now drives and performs like a newer car. I often wondered why I would see several older models on the road now I know why they don't quite. Repairs are on the high end but not as often. Well worth the money I paid new."

Great Car 197,000 miles and counting

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "This is a car for the long haul"

"I love me E320, I keep thinking ok something is about to go wrong and then it doesn't. People talk of the horror stories they've had but I have had great luck with mine. I've replaced a sensor or two and will admit that bulbs blow way to quickly and the oil changes are more expensive. However I consider it a good trade off since its paid off and still running after 12yrs. TAKE CARE of these cars and they won't leave you stranded. I know people with chevy's and such that are barely making it out of the driveway at 70k miles. My little E just keeps on crusing."

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I bought this car with 248k on it had it checked out by a MB dealer and the only thing wrong with it was a slight oil leak. Which we replaced the seal on it. Everything else the mechanic said it was excellent! I couldn't believe that an 11 yr. old car (MY1999) with that kind of mileage would still have such a strong engine and transmission! The tech said if I didn't want to buy it he would!"

Affordable Luxury Car

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"My E320 is a 1998. Very roomy inside and quiet, no major problems so far. Would be better to have the 4matic(AWD) specially with bad weather. Other than that excellent car, decent fuel economy and elegant drive.This particular model doesn't show age at all. If you want an E320 make sure the electrical components are ok."

Nothing but problems

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I purchased a 1999 E300TD new and have had problems with the car ever since I drove it out of the dealership. Most of the problems were electrical, but there were many mechanical problems as well. Rear windows that needed multiple repairs, headrest that wouldn't go up and down, glow plugs that needed to be replaced prematurely, transmission problems, and even had to have the radio replaced. The car also had problems with a security thing in the engine that kept the car from starting - it seems no one else had ever had such a problem and the part was almost impossible to find. In short, I'll never buy another Mercedes again."

Was engineered for the Autobahn.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Rock soild and safe"

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy"

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

Best Car Ever!

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "Great pleasure in driving it. Safety."

Cons: "Leather seats are a little hard."

"Incredibly comfortable, secure handling and great feeling of quality. My wife also loves our E320 Station Wagon for the same reasons. I spend a good deal of time maintaining it but I thoroughly enjoy working and admiring its sophisticated engineering and design. The key to this car is MAINTENANCE. We get 23.5 MPG in town and 28 MPG on highway trips. Love it!"

E-300 Diesel Review

By on Thursday, May 01, 2008

"Super dependable, however just about everything outside of the drive trian and brakes has broken. My wife's Pontiac's sunfire has a better track record. Electrical switches are all failing one by one, suspension has had several costly issues, and the AC components constantly fail. All are documented issues online. Good to great fuel economy, have reached 38 Mpg traveling at 70 Mph, but don't expect this to be a worry free fuel-up-and-go car."

Great car!

By on Friday, April 04, 2008

"I love my MB E320. I live on a budget and I purchased this car pre-owned and have had no problems whatsoever. I get oil changes and have a great mechanic. I change cars every 3 years, but I can't find a reason to buy a new car; this one may very well last forever. You can't go wrong."

Solid Family Car

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I bought a 2001 E320 with 120,000 miles in 2004. Drove it for nearly 4 years and had no major maintenance problem. Had to change both catalytic convertors ($1200 ea) and replaced both rear windows regulators. I followed the "A" and "B" maintenance schedules using a local MB mechanic. I really enjoy driving the car, and I do a lot of driving. I feel safe with two kids in the rear seat. It has 186,000 miles now, and still runs great and is as comfortable as my living room chair. Safe car for mothers with small children."

You've lost that lovin feelin'

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"This car is my third and last MB. The 85 and the 92 MB were shining examples of excellent engineering but the 2000 is junk. I can't even start to list all of the problems. Not only have there been annual repeated mechanical problems with the car but it started rusting through after only four years. Mercedes Benz USA told me I was out of warranty! I spent $5000 in 2005 to fix the rust and this spring (07) it started rusting through in other spots. In june of this year the cat converters started going and I was told by the dealer that I was not covered ($2200 repair) and the front end needed another $1000 because it rattled worse than my first 1960 Chevy! I've called MBUSA many times but they won't do anything and forget about even getting a call back if you leave a message. I think their "customer care" people learned how to treat customers at the motor vehicle department. Most of my friends that owned MBs have sold theirs and gone to other more reliable brands. As one of them said "well I got the German car bug out of my system the hard way" Rather than fix the cats, the rust and the front end I traded the car for a Japanese lux sedan. I'd rather be audited be the IRS than own another MB. Mercedes: "Expensive and built to stay that way""

I love this car

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Acceration, comfort, handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Dealer repairs can be pricey."

"Every time I think I want a new car I ask myself why I would want to get rid of this one? Is very quick with the V-8, get 24mpg+ on the highway, handles very well. Is comfortable, quiet, and a great long distance runner. If I trade it, it will be for another one."

One of the best values for money in a used car.

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Quality, MPG, Luxury, Price, Reliability."

Cons: "It's not an S-Class?"

"I have owned this car for quite a few years. The first thing i am going to say is, what a great car! The interior layout is very conducive to comfort. The controls are placed in all the logical places. And the quality in craftsmanship is top notch. This is the last year before MB and Chrysler merger. And the quality is pure MB. My 320 is a de-badged SPORT model. So there are a few upgrades from the standard equipment model. And for a mid sized sedan it handles beautifully. With 161k on the trip you would think there would be some normal wear and tear items needing repair. But the truth is that there really isn't anything mechanically wrong with this car. My plan is to definitely replace this one down the road with a newer C300 SPORT. But I cant see myself ever getting rid of this one. Bottom line, great car. And for the money i don't think there is a better deal out there."

True german engineering

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "30 mpg in highway, smooth and powerful, dependable"

Cons: "Weak center cupholder, don't ever use it."

"Have had this car since new in 1997. This was my 3rd MB and this model has been the most reliable of all the cars I have ever had. I am still on original battery from 14 years ago. Most of the driving is on the highway where it still gets close to 30 miles per gallon. Smooth, powerful, and handles like a sports car. The only things that needed changing during the last 273,000 miles are blower motor regulator, air pump, transmission speed sensor, and few front suspension parts. Also being a MB, this car is very easy to work. Once a year oil changes are a breeze since oil filter is located on top of engine and can just suck up the oil from dipstick with a Mityvac. Brake pads are as easy as with any other model and they last forever but that could be because most of my driving is on the highway. One of the best models MB every built."

love it

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "fun, gorgeous, powerful enough"

Cons: "suspension is subpar"

fresh

"love it, but unfortunately i have to sell it. at this mileage its turned into a money pit, but its going to be hard to let go"

fresh

I love my 2002 E320!!

By on Friday, May 13, 2011

"I bought this car 5 years ago, with 30,000 miles on it and I've been smiling ever since. I have 78,000 miles now and it is still like new to me. I get regular maintenance. I've had no major problems. I've just replaced the brakes and light bulbs. I'm planning to drive it until the bumper falls off in the street."