• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 489 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Super Reliable Diesel

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, comfort, reliability, parts"

Cons: "underpowered"

"Love this car! A bit underpowered, but I'm claiming 30-38 mpg :). Cruising down the highway is a comfort at any speed, it enjoys 75 beautifully. I couldn't be happier with my 300."

best car

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

"very good"

Great bang for the buck (if you can find one)

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun, comfortable, and very safe."

Cons: "Not very well suited for cold weather, snow/ice."

"E55's are great cars. Powerful, fast, handle great, very comfortable and quiet. I bought this car mainly due to its safety. Definitely one of the safest vehicles built, out rank almost every other car out there. These cars are quite fast from the factory. They're hot-rods disguised as a family sedan. They run 13.0-13.5 bone stock from the factory. They corner like they're on rails, and stop on a dime due to the humongous brakes. Surprisingly, some parts are REALLY cheap right from the dealer (mainly suspension parts), other parts aren't quite as cheap. Front brakes cost $1k to do, however, you do them only once every 100k. The ride is firm yet doesn't jar you like a sports car does. The ride is further enhanced by the air filled seats (super comfortable). The interior layout is fairly simple and aesthetically pleasing with the dark wood finish. The only drawback for some people may be the COMAND (nav/radio) unit. It will take some getting used to. The ride is VERY quiet. The loudest thing on the car are the tires, which aren't really all that loud. The activated charcoal filters filter out any undesired smells, allergens and so forth. You can drive behind a truck spewing diesel smoke and not smell it. They have very few issues mechanically, however, if you can't fix it yourself, it may cost you a pretty penny to get it repaired (shops see the MB star and immediately want to charge you an arm and a leg). Being a professional mechanic, the more I work on this car, the more I realize the beauty of its simplicity to repair. It's actually quite easy to work on. All in all, a great car for the money."

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

I love my car

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"I have owned this turbo-diesel for several years now. It is my first car besides hand-me-down loaners from family and it has been and is a great car. It drives great, is like a tank and gets surprisingly good mileage for how heavy and old it is (25-28 mpg). I love the quirky features like the pop-up cup holder and the keypad radio buttons that allow you to type in a particular station. There is even a button to drop all three rear seat headrests; so random. I even like the tape deck because it allows me to use a tape converter for my iPhone that has greater sound fidelity than the over the radio adapters. It has a comfortable ride and handles great even at 15 years old."