• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 481 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Love this car

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Was designed to run 100+mph.It's a solid safe ride"

Cons: "People will think you are rich."

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

A wonderful car! Comfortable, reliable, fun.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

"This wagon has hauled people, luggage, groceries and provided comfortable, reliable service to us all. It is beautiful, comfortable and the best car I have ever owned. I have kept it for 15 years because it has been such a good car. Would like to keep it for more, but it is time to upgrade. Sad to let it go."

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE, COMFORTABLE, SAFE"

Cons: "cup holders break"

"Purchased this car at 13K miles, it has had maintenance at a certified mbz garage and it has been very reliable for my family, have taken it on long 2000 plus trips with all 7 seats filled and a cargo case on the top and it stills get 25 plus mpg...it runs and looks great...one complaint, can't our car makers get the cup holder thang figured out...."

Drives like brand new!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "handles extremely well under bad driving condition"

Cons: "expensive maintenance"

"Beautiful ride. This car drives just as well as when it came off the lot! I wouldn't drive any other car but the Mercedes Benz. Passing it down to my daughter. It's a keeper!"

I have driven it rides good and I want it.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I don't own this car

"Can't review because I'm trying to buy it."

E300 Diesel, one of the classics

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Steering, Reliabilty, Fuel Mileage (36 hwy),classy"

Cons: "Glow plugs"

"What an amazing car. When driving my E300 I never worry about any problems. The engine runs so smooth. This is a serious do it yourselfer car. I can take this car apart with basic to moderate skills. The amount of detail that went into this car is amazing. Every bolt I've turned is a nice product. One problem for this car is Glow plugs getting stuck so be careful other than that It's a solid car that'll go as far as you want with oil 5,000-7500mi changes."

comfort, power, reliability

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

"An MBZ with a bonus. From day one, 12 years ago, a pleasure"

junk

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Looks, handleing (except in snow), power & ride"

Cons: "front suspension wears out FAST ex tie rods"

"Expect to spend on average $875for repairs ever 6 months after warranty is up. I wanted this style from the first time I saw it. Looks are great in and out. Quality on major parts garbage."

Wonderful car - best ever

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "a real workhorse"

"Have driven this car for 11 years with no major problems, just routine maintenance. This is a tank - would keep it but need something "newer" for my business vehicle. They don't make them like this anymore!"

Constant $1,000+ repairs

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Great comfort and handling compared to a van or SU"

Cons: "Not worth the price paid new."

"Rust all the time despite washing and garaged. Noticed same rust on other MB wagons. Left rear fender and tail gate especially. Shock towers in front constantly break. Light bulbs always burning out."

My, my, my!!! What an awesome car to own.

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "Build, timelessness, power, speed, solidarity, mpg"

Cons: "No open roads in U.S.A. to realize it's true power"

"In all the years I've been driving, and all the cars I've owned, not one of them has ever come as close to pleasing me in every single aspect as this 2002 E55 AMG. The later AMGs have these ridiculously powerful engines that boast around 500 HP, but for what?! My 2002 is rock solid at 355 horses, and the one or two times I've had it up to about 125 mph, the thing was still biting to get ahead before I had to pull on the pony reigns. As for the look, build and solidarity? At 12 years old it continues to turn heads, the engine and drivetrain are as solid as any car on the road (when well maintained), and squeaks, rattles and noises are non-existent at any speed. If you're looking to buy a car that runs and turns heads like any on the road valued north of $80,000, you can easily pick up one of these that's been well taken care of for less than $14,000 in 2014. Like any car, do your due diligence in researching the background and history on one of these street-legal race cars. Seldomly does anyone ever buy a car like this to drive slowly in the right-hand lane. As with every Mercedes I've ever owned, this one like all Mercedes automobiles persists in having the same nuance I've always complained about, which is the Cruise Control Lever that pushes forward to cancel, and pulls toward you to engage. Humanistically, it seems more natural to be just the opposite. HAPPY MOTORING!!!, and keep up on those scheduled maintenance requests."

Drives and looks like new even after 155K miles

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "most comfortable ride. Totally quiet for a diesel"

Cons: "Wish I had ordered heated front seats"

There she is

"She is my 4th diesel MB. Every one of them went beyond 300K with no trouble. I take good care of them and serviced regularly every 5k miles. Though expensive, each one was worth the price. Once you experience its ride, you will never like another type of car. My 1999 TD has no bad qualities. The engine and transmission are flawless. Retiring, and moving overseas, where I cannot take her. Sad to part with my friend for 14 years. She still looks like just came out of the showroom! A beautiful car."

There she is

Best buy for my money

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "well made, intuitive design, comfortable ride"

Cons: "no seat warmers, no lrg cups, should be garaged"

"I had a 1993 S420 which, by far, is the best car I've ever had. The E320 is not that car, but it is a very good vehicle for my purposes. It takes the road at the drop of a hat, & even if I miss a maintainence date it so well engineered that it does not make me pay a higher than usual price to get the necessary work done. This is a solid vehicle that takes better care of me than I have of it. That being said, I would definitely own another E320, and certainly would recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a M-B."

E 430 SPORT 1999, HAS 150000 MILES ON IT.

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

"E 430 SPORT 1999, HAS 150000 MILES ON IT. $ FOR $ THIS IS THE BEST CAR AND CLASS THAT MERCEDES HAS TO OFFER IT DRIVES LIKE A DREAM AND I AM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. LOVE THIS CAR. AMAZING"

without a doubt the best car I ever owned

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

"This MB E320, inline six, was purchased new in Jun '97 with 3 miles on it, now has 135000 trouble free miles, very minor repairs over the years I have owned it. The car still drives and rides like new, even the original factory installed battery lasted 14 years. Can you believe it? I have owned Cadillac, 2 prior MB's, 2 Audi's, Volkswagen, Ford and GM, and still own another MB. Interior spotless, Exterior no nicks or damages. Excellent all the way around. And, no the car is not for sale."

Still bank-vault solid after 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "smooth quiet ride, intuitive controls and handling"

Cons: "cracks in dash, minor wheel-well rust"

"I've driven many other makes/models (including newer models of this car)and nothing compares to the smooth high quality driving experience that my '99 E320 sedan provides. Repairs have been as expected for a car this age/mileage but definitely not excessive or unreasonably expensive. Still no interior rattles/squeaks and the car tracks quietly down the highway with precision. Ride is almost as smooth and quiet as the air suspension found in the S-Class (without the expensive maintenance issues). I expect to keep this car for several more years and many more miles to come."

Best vehicle for the city and freeway driving.

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfort and luxury"

"I have owned many Mercedes Benz cars and SUVs, to be exact 17 vehicles. In my opinion, 2002 E320 is great for compact parking spaces, is comfortable, quiet, reliable and fuel efficient. Thanks"

Nice car but too expensive for what you get

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "great fuel economy"

Cons: "very expensive to repair/maintain. Freq repairs"

"Really like car but you can get something just as good for thousands less. The car is not bullet proof like the older Mercedes. It was frequently in the shop and repair cost are out of this world.Even if you can afford the car why, the dealers rip you off every time they see you. Save some grief and cash, buy a Chevy or Ford."

It is clean, runs good, inside looks clean

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

"The car is very neat and drives good"

Great car.

By on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pros: "Drives like a sports car, with a 4 door sedan body"

Cons: "None...this car does everything."

"This car is very reliable. It is very fast for a 4 door luxury car. Even though it has a V-8 engine, this car gets excellent gas mileage (27-31 mpg hwy) It is extremely comfortable on long trips. Repair costs are slightly higher than a normal car, as long as you know where to take it. Some garages will try to rake you over the coals for labor charges. If they say that your labor charges are going to be a higher rate than an average car, do not have it fixed there....that only means that thay do not know how to work on German cars...or they are crooks because they think you can afford more."

Benz '02 E320

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Great drive"

Cons: "Stereo system is not up to par"

"After 10+ years of owning the car, I've changed the tires 4 times (Bridgestone Serinity are my favs), dash electronics (ie-temp and time led out), CD player doesn't work, and the roof liner has a noise. Simply things that could drive one crazy but..I love this car and I'd buy it again knowing what I know."

Has been a great car

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Still a great cruiser. Classic look. Turn radius +"

Cons: "Radio and sound needs som work. Body needs some wk"

"This is a low mileage E320 with 98,000 miles I bough new in '98. Obsidian with beige interior. I yr old tires. Need body work for a few small dents and some paint. Headlight need to be re finished or replaced. Sound system needs some work on volume. Regular service with records. Clean title"

Great car

By on Monday, February 11, 2013

Pros: "Rides great"

"I couldn't ask for a better car I have had it for many years now, and its my favorite car I have ever owned, if I sale this car I would just get one a few years newer"

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and handles well"

Cons: "No good cup holders the only bad thing i can say"

"This is my second car my first is a 240d but this one is awesome as it handles great good acceleration as well as reliable. I would recommend this car to anyone love love love this car."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "Excellent ride, solid feel, great performance"

Cons: "Price new"

"This car was my second Mercedes. The first one was excellent but a little too small for my liking. It was sold with 246,000 miles and still running and driving well on original drive train. The E Class W210 rides excellent, has good power and gets decent miliage especially on the highway. It still looks only a couple of years old and people are amazed when they learn it's a 1999! The most important fact is the safety of a Mercedes Benz. They are the leaders in safety and innovation for well over 100 years. Trust your family in nothing else! Will buy another one someday, but for now I feel I have another 100,000 miles to go in this one."