1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 503 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Solid Family Car

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I bought a 2001 E320 with 120,000 miles in 2004. Drove it for nearly 4 years and had no major maintenance problem. Had to change both catalytic convertors ($1200 ea) and replaced both rear windows regulators. I followed the "A" and "B" maintenance schedules using a local MB mechanic. I really enjoy driving the car, and I do a lot of driving. I feel safe with two kids in the rear seat. It has 186,000 miles now, and still runs great and is as comfortable as my living room chair. Safe car for mothers with small children."

Stay Away

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Worst car I have ever owned, constantly in the shop. Right rear taillight panel gone out...had to be totally replaced, MB dealer said this is common, entire driveshaft snapped in two during rush hour on interstate...took forever to get fixed because parts are hard to get, sunroof has quit working twice now, opens but won't close. Constant electrical problems that can't seem to be fixed, ABS, EAS other numerous idiot lights come on and go off at random. I hate the fact you can't even buy a replacement bulb for taillight, etc at AutoZone or any other parts store, must get from dealership. Cost of oil change has gone from $49.99 to $79.99 in past year. VERY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN."

You've lost that lovin feelin'

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"This car is my third and last MB. The 85 and the 92 MB were shining examples of excellent engineering but the 2000 is junk. I can't even start to list all of the problems. Not only have there been annual repeated mechanical problems with the car but it started rusting through after only four years. Mercedes Benz USA told me I was out of warranty! I spent $5000 in 2005 to fix the rust and this spring (07) it started rusting through in other spots. In june of this year the cat converters started going and I was told by the dealer that I was not covered ($2200 repair) and the front end needed another $1000 because it rattled worse than my first 1960 Chevy! I've called MBUSA many times but they won't do anything and forget about even getting a call back if you leave a message. I think their "customer care" people learned how to treat customers at the motor vehicle department. Most of my friends that owned MBs have sold theirs and gone to other more reliable brands. As one of them said "well I got the German car bug out of my system the hard way" Rather than fix the cats, the rust and the front end I traded the car for a Japanese lux sedan. I'd rather be audited be the IRS than own another MB. Mercedes: "Expensive and built to stay that way""

I love this car

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Acceration, comfort, handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Dealer repairs can be pricey."

"Every time I think I want a new car I ask myself why I would want to get rid of this one? Is very quick with the V-8, get 24mpg+ on the highway, handles very well. Is comfortable, quiet, and a great long distance runner. If I trade it, it will be for another one."

One of the best values for money in a used car.

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Quality, MPG, Luxury, Price, Reliability."

Cons: "It's not an S-Class?"

"I have owned this car for quite a few years. The first thing i am going to say is, what a great car! The interior layout is very conducive to comfort. The controls are placed in all the logical places. And the quality in craftsmanship is top notch. This is the last year before MB and Chrysler merger. And the quality is pure MB. My 320 is a de-badged SPORT model. So there are a few upgrades from the standard equipment model. And for a mid sized sedan it handles beautifully. With 161k on the trip you would think there would be some normal wear and tear items needing repair. But the truth is that there really isn't anything mechanically wrong with this car. My plan is to definitely replace this one down the road with a newer C300 SPORT. But I cant see myself ever getting rid of this one. Bottom line, great car. And for the money i don't think there is a better deal out there."