1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 500 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

A great car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Quality, nimble handling, reliability."

Cons: "I can't think of any."

"I bought this car new in 1998 and have loved it ever since. I'm considering getting a newer car for the more recent safety and technology advances, and it will have to be another Mercedes E-class!"

Great Car 197,000 miles and counting

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "This is a car for the long haul"

"I love me E320, I keep thinking ok something is about to go wrong and then it doesn't. People talk of the horror stories they've had but I have had great luck with mine. I've replaced a sensor or two and will admit that bulbs blow way to quickly and the oil changes are more expensive. However I consider it a good trade off since its paid off and still running after 12yrs. TAKE CARE of these cars and they won't leave you stranded. I know people with chevy's and such that are barely making it out of the driveway at 70k miles. My little E just keeps on crusing."

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I bought this car with 248k on it had it checked out by a MB dealer and the only thing wrong with it was a slight oil leak. Which we replaced the seal on it. Everything else the mechanic said it was excellent! I couldn't believe that an 11 yr. old car (MY1999) with that kind of mileage would still have such a strong engine and transmission! The tech said if I didn't want to buy it he would!"

Affordable Luxury Car

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"My E320 is a 1998. Very roomy inside and quiet, no major problems so far. Would be better to have the 4matic(AWD) specially with bad weather. Other than that excellent car, decent fuel economy and elegant drive.This particular model doesn't show age at all. If you want an E320 make sure the electrical components are ok."

Nothing but problems

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I purchased a 1999 E300TD new and have had problems with the car ever since I drove it out of the dealership. Most of the problems were electrical, but there were many mechanical problems as well. Rear windows that needed multiple repairs, headrest that wouldn't go up and down, glow plugs that needed to be replaced prematurely, transmission problems, and even had to have the radio replaced. The car also had problems with a security thing in the engine that kept the car from starting - it seems no one else had ever had such a problem and the part was almost impossible to find. In short, I'll never buy another Mercedes again."