1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 498 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Saved my life

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Extremely safe. Very comfortable. Heated seats!"

Cons: "No coffee cup holder"

"The earlier E-Series saved my life when I was rear-ended at high speed twice (Two cars each misjudged and slammed into the back of my stopped Mercedes). Middle driver in a Lexus SUV very badly injured. I had not even a bruise. This car at 100,000 miles is just as nice a ride as when I bought it used at 30,000 miles. I have driven it in snow, sleet, driving rains, etc. Handles all well. Very comfortable interior. This is not a sports car, it is a car to get you from A to B -- wherever you drive -- and do so safely and in luxury. I buy my Mercedes used and I am very loyal since my previous E class saved my life. I own many cars, since I have a large family and many American cars. The Mercedes are always in a class by themselves. My only complaint for the 2002 Mercedes is that it needed more coffee holders. Thank you Mercedes Benz."

Would buy again in a heartbeat (and plan to)

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "reasonable mileage, few maintenance issues"

"I bought this 99 E320 in 2007 with ~110k on it. Drove it for the past 5 years with fewer problems than its American counterparts with fewer miles. No major mechanical problems, no failures of major components in the 5 years. Replaced tires and serpentine belt only. Strongly considering replacing it with a newer E320 just due to age of the vehicle. Still beautiful to look at and fun to drive...100% Mercedes."

Great

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Great Vehicle,I bought one with a blown transmission for a steal,replaced it and have never had to replece anything after that.I have always wanted to own a Benz and love the German engineering.Awesome vehicle.Very affordable maintanence.Average price for a tune -up $185/Brakes $150/Oil change $45."

Great bang for the buck (if you can find one)

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun, comfortable, and very safe."

Cons: "Not very well suited for cold weather, snow/ice."

"E55's are great cars. Powerful, fast, handle great, very comfortable and quiet. I bought this car mainly due to its safety. Definitely one of the safest vehicles built, out rank almost every other car out there. These cars are quite fast from the factory. They're hot-rods disguised as a family sedan. They run 13.0-13.5 bone stock from the factory. They corner like they're on rails, and stop on a dime due to the humongous brakes. Surprisingly, some parts are REALLY cheap right from the dealer (mainly suspension parts), other parts aren't quite as cheap. Front brakes cost $1k to do, however, you do them only once every 100k. The ride is firm yet doesn't jar you like a sports car does. The ride is further enhanced by the air filled seats (super comfortable). The interior layout is fairly simple and aesthetically pleasing with the dark wood finish. The only drawback for some people may be the COMAND (nav/radio) unit. It will take some getting used to. The ride is VERY quiet. The loudest thing on the car are the tires, which aren't really all that loud. The activated charcoal filters filter out any undesired smells, allergens and so forth. You can drive behind a truck spewing diesel smoke and not smell it. They have very few issues mechanically, however, if you can't fix it yourself, it may cost you a pretty penny to get it repaired (shops see the MB star and immediately want to charge you an arm and a leg). Being a professional mechanic, the more I work on this car, the more I realize the beauty of its simplicity to repair. It's actually quite easy to work on. All in all, a great car for the money."

Great Value for what you get.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Value vs Luxury"

Cons: "Cost of repair/parts"

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

"Better know a mechanic or reasonable priced repair facility or do-it-yourself. The parts can be expensive. I have replaced both exhaust catalytic converters (fortunately the now make remanufactured converters). The crankshaft position sensor wil need replacing at some point. The outside mirrors will change colors (buy used). Some other minor stuff. But the car drives great and has great fuel economy."

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

Love it!!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Secure feeling when driving"

Cons: "do not realize how fast you are going"

"I bought a 1999 E320 AWD and have loved this car! My car has over 281100 miles on it and has only needed an alternator and a water pump. Great gas mileage and comfort! I will have a tear in my eye when I trade it in we have done a lot of road time together!!"

saved my life

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Good reliability and value"

Cons: "flimsy cupholders"

"I had an 2002 E-320 4matic with 158,000 miles on it, I rear ended somebody and it got totaled, but the safety features saved my life, the hood folded up and the engine mount went downwards, I was able to find another 2002 E-320 RWD with 84000. miles on it and it drives like new, I definitely would recommend this line of Mercedes Benz."

Last of the best

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "extremely reliable, comfortable for long rides"

Cons: "routine maintenance commitment"

"I don't consider myself a big car person, having owned two other Mercedes (C and SLK class), but when my C class life ended, I found this one. Handling is amazing, and it's saved my life literally twice, but what I chuckle at weekly is the gas mileage - I get much better than even smaller classes below mine, at 25 city and up to 35mpg highway! This particular car is very high quality - it is so roomy that I have put quite a number of DIY projects in it, without a problem (of course, careful to not scratch the leather). This was the last year the E430s were made, and many of the E and even S class cars (500 ) are smaller in room and overall size. Anyone with a Mercedes will tell you that the scheduled maintenance is the key to enjoyment - some consider this a minus, but I don't. This keeps costs low and out of the shop overall. Find a great mechanic, and stay on top of your scheduled A and B maintenance, and you'll have a car for many many years beyond other cars, and without headaches."

E-320

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"Bought this car as a used car, which had been reasonably well mainteined over the years. Very minor cosmetic issues. The engine is very reliable and the transmission very smooth. It is comfortable, although sometimes I would wish for an extra inch at the well (I'm 6.2" and have long legs). I am happy with it and will invest in some issues which have come up (after all, it does have 117,000 miles) and bring it up to snuff. The gas mileage is good (av. 20 mpg 18 city/24 road - although premium, which offsets the good mileage, lower cost issue) and should last a few more years with a relatively modest investment in repairs."