• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 481 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

I love my car

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"I have owned this turbo-diesel for several years now. It is my first car besides hand-me-down loaners from family and it has been and is a great car. It drives great, is like a tank and gets surprisingly good mileage for how heavy and old it is (25-28 mpg). I love the quirky features like the pop-up cup holder and the keypad radio buttons that allow you to type in a particular station. There is even a button to drop all three rear seat headrests; so random. I even like the tape deck because it allows me to use a tape converter for my iPhone that has greater sound fidelity than the over the radio adapters. It has a comfortable ride and handles great even at 15 years old."

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

"This is a Beautiful Vehicle, my personal opinion is that it was designed for a man verses a woman (the seating and the front of the vehicle designed for tall individuals). It has a great engine. The interior is nice. Only complaint, since I am original owner- THE RUST on the door. Mercedes products are suppose to be high quality and for the price why????? The trunk is very roomy and back seat has lots of room for a child seat and passenger. Totally love this vehicle, just wish the body did NOT have RUST and that the company would stand by product. Thanks"

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

If a 30mpg ,who would need any other car?

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Cons: "20 mpg"

"This is the finest car I have ever driven. Not that I would not like to have driven a Lamborghini, I still have use for an off road vehicle, this car is just not the do all nor be all that one could need. Still, if you go to the opera or finer resturants, you are given proper attention. Just don't go off road."

best vehicle

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

"Good runner"

Near-perfect family vehicle, with style, too!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Road-trip comfort, capacity, fuel efficiency."

Cons: "Not great in muddy or snowy conditions"

"I have loved this model for many reasons, including its comfort on long road trips; its adaptability to a range of situations, including hauling surfboards, backpacks, kids, and arriving in style at a fancy hotel; and its fuel efficiency (for a robust gasoline engine). I would buy a similar model again in a heartbeat, but I'd go for the AWD version."

My 6th E-Class

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "build quality, durabilty and engine reliabilty."

Cons: "cheaper components than those used in older Mercs."

"To me the Mercedes Benz E-Class is one of the best "all around" cars you can buy. I typically have owned mostly V8 E-Class sedans. They are extremely quiet, powerful yet still achieve very good gas mileage. My E420 with the 4.2L V8 consistently gets 26-26 mpg. even when cruising between 75-85 mph. Not bad for a car that gets 300Lb.Ft of torque and has 275 h.p. The chassis is very well built and handles like a car half its size. Its not as big as an S-Class but still has enough room for my wife and 3 kids if needed. My next car will definitely be a W211 E-Class (like my wifes!) Salute to Daimler Benz for getting it right all these years!"