1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 500 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Saved my life

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Extremely safe. Very comfortable. Heated seats!"

Cons: "No coffee cup holder"

"The earlier E-Series saved my life when I was rear-ended at high speed twice (Two cars each misjudged and slammed into the back of my stopped Mercedes). Middle driver in a Lexus SUV very badly injured. I had not even a bruise. This car at 100,000 miles is just as nice a ride as when I bought it used at 30,000 miles. I have driven it in snow, sleet, driving rains, etc. Handles all well. Very comfortable interior. This is not a sports car, it is a car to get you from A to B -- wherever you drive -- and do so safely and in luxury. I buy my Mercedes used and I am very loyal since my previous E class saved my life. I own many cars, since I have a large family and many American cars. The Mercedes are always in a class by themselves. My only complaint for the 2002 Mercedes is that it needed more coffee holders. Thank you Mercedes Benz."

Great Value for what you get.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Value vs Luxury"

Cons: "Cost of repair/parts"

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

"Better know a mechanic or reasonable priced repair facility or do-it-yourself. The parts can be expensive. I have replaced both exhaust catalytic converters (fortunately the now make remanufactured converters). The crankshaft position sensor wil need replacing at some point. The outside mirrors will change colors (buy used). Some other minor stuff. But the car drives great and has great fuel economy."

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

saved my life

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Good reliability and value"

Cons: "flimsy cupholders"

"I had an 2002 E-320 4matic with 158,000 miles on it, I rear ended somebody and it got totaled, but the safety features saved my life, the hood folded up and the engine mount went downwards, I was able to find another 2002 E-320 RWD with 84000. miles on it and it drives like new, I definitely would recommend this line of Mercedes Benz."

E-320

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"Bought this car as a used car, which had been reasonably well mainteined over the years. Very minor cosmetic issues. The engine is very reliable and the transmission very smooth. It is comfortable, although sometimes I would wish for an extra inch at the well (I'm 6.2" and have long legs). I am happy with it and will invest in some issues which have come up (after all, it does have 117,000 miles) and bring it up to snuff. The gas mileage is good (av. 20 mpg 18 city/24 road - although premium, which offsets the good mileage, lower cost issue) and should last a few more years with a relatively modest investment in repairs."

the car has been constantly in the shop

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I purchased the car used with only 50,000 .The car has not been very reliable.The break lights are out every 6mon's.I have to start the car in N,not in park..I have replaced the A/C compressor,Motor Mounts, Blower Motor Regulator,constants electrical problems and the engine lights keeps coming on. The car in now park in the driveway.. The car only has 78,000miles now and $6,000plus in repairs...I'm not happy because this was to be my retirement car...."

They just don't make them like this anymore....

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "$ has come down recently. Built like a tank."

Cons: "Front cup holder, rear window regulators."

"What a great car. Even though mine is (almost) 15 years old, I still get compliments and questions at gas stations and in parking lots all the time. Classic Mercedes look and built like a tank. You can really get a feel for how well the car is built the moment you start it. I looked at a 2010 E-class a few weeks ago and thought about trading mine in, until I drove the new one. This car has so many advantages to the newer ones. ($$, too) Great on twisty roads (don't treat it like a small two-door though) good mileage for a strong V-8 and a wonderful highway ride. Again, build quality is great, but remember, it is a car, and let's face it, cars break sometimes. Mine has only been in the shop twice, and both times hurt. Finding a small repair shop to fix these things can be tough so you may be stuck with returning to the dealer for repairs. OUCH! If you buy one, keep it maintained and I bet you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine."

I love my wagon!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"We bought the 1999 E320 wagon used for $11K, in 2005 and it had 105,000 miles on it. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband. At 115,000 miles, we had to have some transmission work done to the tune of $1700. Since then, we have not any additional issues other than a few small things. Like, the back passenger window motor went out about 2 years ago. The auto locks don't work (but the alarm does). The AC went out at about 130K miles, but we replaced with a private mechanic for $750. Don't take this car to a MB dealer - you will pay top dollar for repairs. We have also replaced the oxygen sensor at 175K - bought the part for $80 and my hubby put in it. It now needs an oil sensor - again, the part is under $100. I have never been stranded in this car and told my hubby when we got it that I would keep it until the odometer read 200K. We're there and as long as she'll run, I'll drive her! My only complaint is that our boys are getting bigger and that big seat isn't growing any. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband."

Best Car Yet!

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"I purchased this car about a year ago with 209,000 and 15,000 miles later I didn't have to do anything to it except New Tires and Routine Service. Most people are turned away from a car that has high mileage but as most people know Mercedes run forever as long as they are well taken care of. Make sure that before you do buy a car with High Mileage make sure that you have it checked by someone who knows what to look for especially invisible problems that you cant see with the naked eye. I know I got a great deal because I bought this car for 4,400 and the Kelly blue book at the time was I believe around 7,500. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone and that just because a car has high mileage doesn't mean its a piece of junk!"

Best car I have ever own for the money.

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Costly repairs but not that often."

"I've owned several high end cars and usually trade them in before I get close to +80k miles. But this car even now drives and performs like a newer car. I often wondered why I would see several older models on the road now I know why they don't quite. Repairs are on the high end but not as often. Well worth the money I paid new."