• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

Based on 300 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Great car, above average cost to own

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, well built, very classy and stylish"

Cons: "Takes premium fuel and maintenance is expensive"

"This is the most fun, and the most well built car we have ever owned. It is solidly built, very fun to drive and very comfortable. Most of the miles we have put on this car have been on 6 hour road trips and it has been great. It rides quiet and the seats are very comfortable. There are a few cons to this car. First of all, a car like this is expensive to own. It takes premium gas and although it gets 25 - 28 mpg on the highway, you pay 20 cents more a gallon for gas. Maintenance (at the dealer) is VERY expensive. Recently took it in for a scheduled maintenance. It cost $568 for an oil change and to replace the brake fluid. I declined other scheduled maintenance because it was just too expensive. ($700 to replace the fuel filter, $200 to replace air filters). I long for the days when I took my previous car (a Lexus) to Jiffy Lube for a $29 oil change. Another con is the navigation system. This is a 2005 model and GPS systems were just coming out. The user interface is very awkward to use. No touch screen. You have to use a "joy stick" on the console and it is tedious to enter destination information. Also, the Navtec platform is really poor. I paid $200 for the upgrade DVD and frequently, it cannot find destinations. We find ourselves taking our portable Garmin along, just so we can find destinations. The rear wheel drive is great for performance, but we live in Chicago and take road trips back and forth to Ohio and I am terrified of finding myself in a snow storm with this car. I'll take front wheel drive any day and skip the performance a little for the peace of mind. On the plus side, this is a great car for a mid life crisis (or two or three). You turn heads when you drive down the street. There are no posts between the front and back side windows and so when you have the moon roof open and the side windows down, it is the next best thing to driving down the road in a convertible, without all of the fuss of having the top down. The back seats fold down giving you a really remarkable ability to haul things. We have made many trips to IKEA and was able to get stuff home in the car."

great car around town or on a road trip

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun, sporty, good looking, superb driving"

Cons: "for only 2 adults with the top up."

"Next to a Ferrari 250 GT that i owned decades ago, this is by far the best I have ever owned, of more than 2 dozen including other luxury brands. Comfortable, remarkably quiet, steady at high speed, agile enough to be fun on curvy mountain roads, robust engine. Runs like a top with minimal service. Very sveldt look with top down [a little boxy, top up]. Remarkably good mileage [25+] at highway speeds above 80mph. Will keep it until it dies or I do. Cramped back seat not suitable for adults. Ok for luggage, golf clubs, pets, groceries and children under 12."

clk 500

By on Sunday, August 09, 2009

"have a 2004 clk 500 and it's too fast/sporty for me, almost burns the tires when you start, also if passing and you floor it, it makes it so fast it's almost too much to control..I'd look at the small 6 cylinder engines because it would be safer to drive...also the low profile tires are almost $260 each and they only last about 15,000 miles...if you want a sports car maybe this works for you but for me it is much too much power"

My Mercedes CLK550 experience

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reason: It was time for something new

Pros: "FASSSSST, V8, good looks, fun to drive"

Cons: "Little bit of a pain to get to rear seats"

"I bought my 2007 Mercedes CLK550 new at the very end of 2006. It was white with tan premium leather. I got heated front seats, premium sound, premium package 1 and XM radio. I sold it December, 2012 and bought a 2012 GL550. I miss the convertible a lot! I miss going from 0-60 in 5 seconds! The CLK550 has some engine! 5.5 liter V8 engine with I think just under 400 HP!!!!! The car lost value fairly quick, I paid about $68,000 for this car and when I traded it for my '12 GL550 I only got about $23,000. That's only 1/3 of the value and the car was only 5 years old (5 and a half now, I think). I got 1/3 of the value back on another one of my old cars that was 9 years old. I'm just getting 1/3 and this car is 5 years old. It was a great car! I wish it was slightly easier to get to the back but, I learned to deal with it. I think this car would be a good extra summer car for me. I might consider buying it back from the dealer to keep as an extra car along with my GL550. Oh well."

car runs and runs and runs

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "awesome speed and handling. love the look"

Cons: "gas hog, lots of small material flaws"

"love driving the car. gas consumption is rough going with today's"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class near Honolulu. See local deals