• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $45,261 - $46,592.

Invoice N/A

10/7.8

Based on 13 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

9.7/10

Not happy with vehicle - hesitates when downshifts

By on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pros: "New features - had a lot of learning to do"

Cons: "Hesitates when downshifting is required"

"Vehicle is hard riding and noisy, especially with the low-profile 'run flat' tires. I'm extremely unhappy that the vehicle hesitates when it is suppose to downshift and when it does, it will suddenly accelerate very rapidly - must be careful if an object is in front of you. Fuel mileage per gal is better than a Mercedes GLK350 I previously owned. A lot of new features to learn and I had to read and re-read the operators' and command manuals."

Excellent car w/ a beautiful design

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "Everybody will love it is wonderful"

Cons: "No for big families is small in the back"

"Every body look at this car because is a beautiful model and it feels very reliable too, is a powerful turbo accelerator sometimes I got a little scared because it goes from 0 to 60 mph in only 4 seconds it has a lot of features for the price."

money well spent

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "Build quality, driving dynamic, mileage, VALUE"

Cons: "DCT takes some time to get used to"

"Owned the car since Sep 2013 (yup i was told mine was the very first CLA the dealership delivered). I am very pleased with its interior quality and driving dynamic as you would expect from a MB. Gas mileage is almost as good as advertised (I got low 20s in city and mid-low 30s on hwy). A lot people don't but personally I absolutely love the stop/start. The DCT transmission sometimes feels reluctant to shift (eg. when you push it too hard), which took me a while to get used to. Mine CLA got the sports suspension which is super fun through corners but can be too stiff as a family car. Overall I'd definitely recommend this car to anybody."

Not your grandpa's Benz

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pros: "The hippest 3 pointed star in the US thus far."

Cons: "No cup holders in the back"

"Best bang for the buck ever for the three pointed star. I couldn't afford the AMG45 but my CLA250 4Matic is still plenty of fun. For a base model-- bottom of the line, it still has many more features than many $30K 'loaded' cookie cutter cars. Auto start/stop, auto hold, collision avoidance, paddle shifter, auto wipers, auto tilt down mirror as well as all the usual accoutrements you would expect from the Teutons. The mileage is good too. I was averaging 38.5MPG during a 3 hours trip on the highway. However,the gas cap is on the wrong side!!! Don't they know German cars are supposed to fill up on the right side? If you're looking for cupholders in the back, stop looking. It isn't there. The start/stop function works well but it's a little crunchy. Also I wish I would have splurged a bit more on the uber cool options. Fortunately, sleek styling, cool interior and wonderful drive dynamic makes up for most of its inadequacies."

Outstanding performance/economy with a few hiccups

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "Power, handling and economy with 4-door utility"

Cons: "Abysmal audio controls; DCT neither smooth nor fun"

"My CLA45-AMG meets or exceeds all my requirements for a high-performance, 4-door sedan. I use the car primarily for long-distance trips and prefer back roads over the interstate highways. Strengths include exceptional engine performance and brakes. I've owned two C7 Corvettes, and for all practical purposes the AMG can accelerate and pass as well as they could on public roads. More surprisingly, the fuel economy has been significantly better than I anticipated. When driven normally I get about 26 MPG in town and over 32 MPG on the open road. Obviously, when pushed hard the mileage suffers accordingly, but that is to be expected. The car is comfortable although the ride is firm which is what I prefer. I deliberately stayed with the standard equipment 18"wheels rather than the optional 19". Likewise, I choose standard, non run-flat tires which I detest. Dislikes include the audio system, which sounds fine, but is ridiculously complex to operate. The controls on my 2009 Cobalt work just as well and are infinitely simpler to use. What I can do with one push of a button on the Cobalt requires three and sometimes four button actions on the Mercedes. Just stupid! Likewise, the display screen in the middle of the dashboard works OK, but simply looks like an "add-on". The electronic steering is "over-assisted" in my opinion and doesn't provide the feedback I like/expect from a performance car. Also, this is the first car I've owned that had the dual clutch transmission. I'm not impressed. It's not as smooth as an automatic and no where near as fun/engaging as a manual. Likewise, the "stop/start" engine feature works as advertised when the "ECO" mode, but has a slight delay after brake release before the engine starts, which can be disconcerting when turning left across traffic. Bottom line: I'm satisfied. It does what I needed it to do, but I miss my Corvette!"