2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 833 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

C230K Sport coupe - love it!

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"I have owned this car for 5.5 years and put over 100K miles on it. I love driving it - it is sporty, fast, and well built, and the gas mileage is good (reliably 25 mpg mixed highway/city with steep hills). The climate control panel was replaced under warranty when I first got it, otherwise no major issues. The tires do need to be replaced about every 35K miles (I'm on my 3rd set), but my original brakes were good for over 65K miles ($1800 for a brake job, ouch). Minor issues that have cropped up: (1) the auto up on the windows sometimes stops working for a while, then comes back, (2) around 85K miles the hatch release wire got loose and I couldn't open the hatch from the outside, (3) around 92K miles the driver's side lock got out of whack and wouldn't open with the remote (fixed under warranty). I would love this car even more if it were FWD, had a hand emergency brake, and had auto-close on the sunroof. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing!"

If you live in Snow...you've got to own this car..

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"This was our 1st MB, but definitely not our last. We have had this 2005 MB C320 4matic for 3 years now ---excellent vehicle and dealer service is superb. Last Valentine's Day in NE PA all the Interstate's were closed down; we drove 2 hours on a closed unplowed and unsalted I-81 to Harrisburg airport from Wilkes-Barre PA. We were the only vehicle on the road. Most SUV's were getting off the highway as with the winds, they were all over the road. The autumn's in NE PA also can cause slippery roads with the wet falling leaves and wind...no problems as well. I'm 6'-2" so I do get alittle cramped after 4 hours of driving, but overall the car is very comfortable. The car not too shabby to drive on dry pave was well, real fun on a Sunday mornning tour. The only maintenance problem was an oil smell in the car due to a bad o-ring on the oil filler cap; MB service took care of this quickly. It is nice to get a MB loaner for service visits as well. Oh, we get 30 mpg on the highway as well. Great unit for a long term relationship!"

2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan

By on Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Excellent car, haven't had any problems since purchase. I enjoy the zippy, supercharged 4cyl and my only regret is not getting a manual transmission. There is a little bit of lag from the engine; going from a dead stop to full throttle that can be frustrating at times, but overall the engine is extremely free revving with loads of pickup throughout the powerband. When you approach the redline, the power sort of tapers off, but it shifts relatively quick, so keep an eye on what gear you are in! As for the Autostick feature, I found it to be more useful in downshifting than upshifting because the car simply wont allow you to ride first gear in redline at all. Not that you would want to do that but if it approaches the redline in first and you haven't shifted into second yet, it will automatically shift for you. So, if you shift into second shortly after it already performed that function for you, it will go directly to third, thus voiding the functionality of the Autostick altogether. That being said, I like to use it to downshift when I have to brake hard. Perhaps it will extend the life of my brake pads. I have yet to experience the snow with this vehicle and I'm not looking forward to it with rear wheel drive. Luckily I live in colorado and I will be using fully studded snowtires in the upcoming months. The supercharged 4cyl really shines when you drive through the mountains, it feels as if there is no struggle to ascend the steeply graded hills. The sport suspension rips through the sharp, banked corners with very minimal body roll. I am glad I have the 1.8L, 4cyl instead of the 2.3L V6, my weight distribution is much more balanced because my engine weighs 200-300lbs less than the V6. I must say that the high spirited motor and sport tuned suspension work very well together for being a BONE STOCK package from Mercedes. The back seat really isn't suitable for 6 foot adults, probably best left for children, especially if you are over 6ft and driving the vehicle. The driver's seat is capable of nearly touching the backseat when you extend it all the way, thus leaving no room for a passenger behind you. I am absolutely amazed at how quiet the interior is, I can barely hear emergency vehicles pass by with the windows closed. Some people might consider that to be a bad trait, but I am pleased with it. Oil changes (mostly once a year) will run you $100, Alignment is $160, A-Service is about $200 and B-Service is around $350 in the Denver area. I would recommend finding an independent service tech so you can avoid trips to the STEALERship for servicing your vehicle. Most of my reviews are based on things I do not like and so far (for my taste) I have yet to find anything that I truly dislike about this car! Hope this helps some of you who might be researching this car ."

I love this car!

By on Friday, August 9, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "not cheep to maintain"

"It is a sports car in a soccer mom's body. Handles great with plenty of get-up and go power. I love all the extras and the sound system is the best I have ever heard in a factory install. I have owned mine for almost 3 years and I plan on keeping it for years to come."

Quick,quality,relaible, luxurious and comfortable

By on Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pros: "Really fun to drive. So much less $$$"

Cons: "She needs premium fuel"

"Quality German engineering in a smaller package. Quick as can be - extremely comfortable with none of the luxuries of the larger cars left out. Great in corners and on long highway trips. Never get tired of driving her. From climate control to cruise control to the moon roof and stereo, the car operates as a luxury auto should. Very smooth and quiet. Operating costs a bit higher with premium gas and an average of city/hwy fuel consumption a real 25 mpg. Remember - this is the BIG engine with lots of horses. Don't let the outside size fool you. Very comfortable for 4 people and a good sized trunk. Unless you need or want the larger E or S class - this size car really fills the bill. You will not be disappointed!"

Great value, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Awesome handling."

Cons: "Tire burner"

"We bought this 2004 car in 2008 in anticipation duaghter driving it. My wife decided to drive it instead and gave her car to my daughter to drive. When I finally gave it to ny daughter, she immediately fell in love with the car. It's fun to drive, economical, can jump when you push it, and rides smooth at autobahn speeds. Been reliable, runs great - biggest downside: we have the sport model (which is like driving on rails) but the low-profile, high performance tires we kept on that car were not cheap. Upside, better gas mileage than reported."

Great car.

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, 13000 miles between services."

Cons: "When the 13000 miles are up, expect $200.00 bill"

"I did alot of research before making my purchase and found a few negative issues which seemed to occur in regaurds to the car. Of these the only one I have experienced was the interior handle on the driverside door breaking loose. I fixed it myself. I average 25.5-28 mpg depending on the time of year and how agressive I feel like driving. I drive 29 miles to and from work every day and to the gym 18 miles each way three times a week for an average of 398 miles. To do this on one tank or less of fuel is important to me. I also have ran the car with midgrade fuel and never had a problem 50,000 miles without any so far. I love this car and would reccomend it to anyone who wants a sporty car with all the comforts of a Benz, and in my oopinion also gets above average gas milage."

great performance but lots going wrong

By on Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Many thing have gone wrong with this car over the years that I would never have expected based on my Infiniti and Toyota. Replacing lights is a monthly routine. The electrical system shorts easily and drains the battery. Many of the interior trim components have cracked , broken and/ot fallen off, (Geershift shroud, specker covers, pop up cup holder, AM reception) Brake and tire replacement are about twice what is required on my other cars (not to mention the excessive brake dust) Recently the AC and sunroof have stopped working. This is all par for the course with this car. On the plus side the engine power and handling have been excellent. Overall, if this is what all Mercedes are like then I wouldn't get one."

Electronic problems

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"Suprisingly good gas mileage for a fairly high-performance car. Very comfortable and quiet. Has had problems with electronics since day-1. Still running well after 8 years and 140,000 miles."

Great car

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"THIS AUTOMOBILE has all the E-Class bells and whistles but in a more managable size. Gets 30 mpg on the highway and 18 in city driving, solid as a bank vault."