2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 818 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Why buy a cookie cutter car ?

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Quality Looks Sport performance Big trunk"

Cons: "Low stance Back seat room"

07 c230 sport

"When my wifes 01 Cherokee broke, I started looking at cars I felt fit her personality, gorgeous looks and driving style. I looked here at kbb.com for info and reviews of many, many cars. I reviewed for a month or so and couldn't find a fit. Someone here in the neighborhood owns, and drives by the house in a C350 that I covet. So I thought hmm, let's look at the Germans. We decided to look at a used BMW 3 series. We both drove the beemer and felt it was sub-par in the interior fit and finish(cupholder issue). Luckily just in on trade was an 07 230 sport, black on black(pictured). We drove it the same day the guy traded it in. The dealership hadn't gone through it yet, it needed a bath and some of his things were still in the console (business cards change and pens). The first noticable improvement over the 325i was the cockpit layout, overall quality, comfort and support of the seats,the console(cupholders), A/C, window switches, radio controls and even the feel of the pedals. Driving the 230 was heads above the BMW as well, crispy shifting triptronic-esq 6 spd trans, and throttle response. The suspension was smooth, quick and firm, I blasted over R/R tracks to feel and listen to the suspension. What really shocked me was the brakes, race car like big drilled/slotted rotors and hi performance multi-piston calipers bring the car to a halt right now. I have upgraded the brakes in my other cars(Mustangs, Volvo S60) with the good stuff(EBC) and the little Merc is right there in factory form. This car zooms around much better than I would have figured with just over 200 hp. I think it has to do with the 6 speed trans and MB engineers calculating the gearing right. It lacks low end torque like my v8 Mustangs or the insane boost of the Volvo(9.5psi), but past 3k rpm's the motor growls and builds speed magically, it doesn't make sense but it accelerates very well. On the Interstate the car is a blast to drive! The car is very sticky and smooth the faster it goes. The feeling from 75mph to the century mark is mostly unchanged. I've gone as fast as 120mph confidently. The high beam headlights are insanely bright and reach way out front. Driving in heavy rain is very good as well. Driving this car gives you confidence in your safety, it feels like fitted armor. The bad is road noise, it is a bit intrusive without the stereo on. The driver menu's ( mpg's, distance traveled, clock etc.) is confusing without the manual. Shifting the trans manually is weird (but worth the increased rpm's) push right for up, and left for down. I am used to up for up, and down for down. I accidentally tested the rev limiter pushing the shifter upwards into neutral @ 5500 rpm's(not good)I'm used to it now. I am 6ft 2in and 225 lbs, my wife is 5ft 10in and we fit good in the car up front, getting in and out is daunting because the car is very, very low. When our equally heighted boys are in the back seat, it's tight for them. We drove 3 hours to Tampa and they didn't complain about comfort, but were happy to get out and stretch by the end. I have owned the car 6 months and am very happy with the $15000 purchase. I purchased a 100k mile powertrain warranty just in case. My wife likes it but wants a taller vehicle, but, she looks so dang good driving it. Thanks for reading."

07 c230 sport

You Get What you Pay For

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Never had a significant issue with this car and have obviously put plenty of miles on it. Others I talk to say it has to 300K mi easy. Really a joy to drive and as reliable as they come."

I love my car, all 162000 miles

By on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"The C coupe is the most misunderstood Mercedes in the US. For the 4 short years it was sold, people in the US just didn't embrace it. It's an excellent compromise between a sports car and a sport ute. With the seats folded down, you have 5 ft of cargo space. It's a bit pricey to maintain. For me I've been lucky, I bought it new, and got the extended warranty which easily paid for itself. After 100K I've been on my own, but nothing terrible has happened. As to be expected the brushes in the alternator gave out at 120K, the spark plugs had to be replaced again, as they were stressing the ignition coils and causing to fail and odd thing, but the coils are only $35. Despite the dealer hype of a "lifetime fill" of the transmission, it is imperative to replace the fluid, which I did at 120K as the tranny began to act erratically. Very irresponsible of MB to tell people that, when everywhere else in the world it's considered a maint. item every 60K Kilometers. Changing it regularly will increase the life of the tranny. Since at the time it was free maint they just didn't want to do it. The starter failed recently, and I had to replace the Catalytic converter, Other than that, rear brakes, and tires. Put Akebono ceramics pads on and you'll only have to do the brakes every 100K miles. I replaced the suspension with stiffer springs and sway bars, and it's drives like it's on rails. AMG bar in the front, HR in the rear is the perfect combo for the coupe. I added Bixenons, and lots of other goodies. A great value for the money. Beware of 2003-2004 1,8L engines. 2005 or 2002 2.3L is best."

Very nice car

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Dealer maintenance costs"

"I never had an import until I bought my 2003 C320 when it was 5 yrs old with 93k miles. Now have ~155k on it. My car had previously been owned by 2 women and I suspect that the second owner was scared into selling it by dealer maintenance cost shock. MB dealers treat you as if you have money to burn. I did a brake job and corrected some minor wiring issues with a few dollars worth of parts. Since then, the only thing that has gone wrong is that the rear sunshade will not retract and the oil level sensor failed. The car handles well, rides well, accelerates at least adequately, and is very comfortable. It is handy to be able to do some of your own maintenance to avoid stealership prices. Oil changes don't require you to get under the vehicle. Brakes and plugs are far easier than a Chevy truck. The car is assembled like a swiss watch. There really is something to be said for German engineerng."

Great car, handles excellent... Repairs $$$

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, sleek its a MBZ"

Cons: "Repairs and tires $$$$"

"We have had this car for almost 10years, driven it hard and put a lot of commute miles on it. My only complaint is after getting 8-9 years old things start to break and repairs are expensive.. fan belt pulley tensioner, rear window screen, passenger door handle, mass air flow sensor, wiper washer reservoir,all after about 7 years old. I highly recommend a one time wheel alignment contract with your favorite repair shop front alignment goes out a lot...I have a son who is a auto mechanic and he saved me lots of money on service fees and when things needed work to be done. I do not like the tires being front and back specific they can not be rotated so tire costs are high over the life time. With that said Benny has been a great car. I would recommend Mercedes C-class to any new MBZ newby but be ready to afford what you are buying."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, perfect size"

Cons: "Not cheap to maintain, but very little maint req"

"I have owned my C230 for 6 years and haven't found anything else that I would even consider driving. This has been a fabulous and FUN car. My only complaints are cosmetic. I have had to replace the interior front door handles on both the driver and passenger side, the cd player has been fixed 2 or 3 times, and the driver's window motor broke. The replacements are not inexpensive, but I would still recommend this car, and it's value."

Bought it w/ 90K, won't give it up with 190K !!!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "looks, overall pwr, AWD, heated seats, sound syst"

Cons: "front cup holder(s), console nooks and crannies"

"I purchased my 2003 Mercedes C240 4-Matic in 2010 with just under 90,000 miles on it. I paid $12,000 for it, which may have been a bit high, but the dealer helped me out of a car I was upside-down on. The Mercedes is just about to hit 200,000. I will own this car forever. As has been said in other reviews, you'll spend $300 to $1000 a year to have it repaired, BUT--it you're without a car payment at all (as most 2003 owners would be, one way or another), even $1,500 a year (for this car) is peanuts! This is a fantastic car. the 4-Matic all-wheel-drive system takes me where four-wheel trucks will not go, and I have a 4-wheel truck to compare it to. I get roughly 30 mpg on the highway, and 24-25 mpg in the city. It doesn't have the snappiest 6-cyl engine on the planet, but it whispers at 100 mph, and sounds, feels and drives like a much larger car at all times. If this car died today, I'd be looking for another--with 100,000 miles on it. I'm not paid to extol the virtues of this car...I'm just a guy who loves his little Mercedes sedan."

Great to drive, not to keep for long.

By on Friday, October 23, 2009

"Let me just say that I've had this car from the very beginning in 2004. Here I am 46,100 miles later. Just finished Service A @ 42000 miles and paid around 1000 (little more) for synthetic fluids, new spark plugs, and windshield wipers. At the time my sunroof wouldn't "auto express close," my cd changer was no longer recognized (cant get my cds out anymore), and my rear fog light has fused. No biggie. I figured after a service that cost that much, I would be good to go till 10,000 miles later. Yeah right...more than 6000 miles more before my next service, and I get a battery/alternator warning. ESP, ABS, SRS warning lights come on (probably because there was not enough power) but the car still works. I think its a faulty alternator. I figured since my battery wasn't replaced since 04, and its now 09, its time to change it. After replacing it for $240, my tech says, all should work, but if you get an alternator warning light in the future, keep in mind that you may need to replace that as well. Yeah, nice try man, not gonna happen...o wait, it happened. Same problems. Gonna cost me $850. So its time to sell this thing before I spend anymore on servicing it. Probably should go for a toyota. Ill miss the fun times I had driving it (a lot of fun) and the really cool german precision engineering. Seriously, this thing would tell me when a light stopped working, would let me know exactly how much fuel I had remaining, I loved the 3 click indicator while switch lanes, auto wipers, fake leather -4 stars for quality (yeh fake leather...paid 40K for fake leather, but it looks new and great 5 years later), everything feels like quality, unlike a plastic gmc yukon. I did feel embarrassed to have paid 40K for an inline 4 for less than 200hp... too bad I never got a chance to see how fast it would go either. Only reached up to around 120mph. I wanted to keep this car forever and say proudly that this was my first car. a classic. tear. but i cant. Servicing this killed me and sadly, no more mercedes for me. Dont recommend A solid 2.67 stars."

I've had this car 7 years and still LOVE it!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Drives great & great styling."

Cons: "Seat sits a little low even if you move it up."

"This car drives like a dream with a responsive feel. I purchased mine new in 2006 and still have it. It gets good gas mileage 21 city and up to 28-29 on highway. Mine is silver w/black interior and it is still beautiful."

I love this car. Best car ever!

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pros: "Everything. The ultimate dream car"

Cons: "Repair costs"

"The more I drive this car the better it gets. It has somehow learned the best interior setting for my personal comfort. I do believe it is the best car on the market! A true joy to drive. If there any negatives, I would have to say that you have to pay for such a great car when it comes to repairs. Even oil change prices shocked me. Now that I no longer employed and disabled I am afraid that I may have to sell it. It's in great shape now but have just been told that it will need brakes eventually. My heart is broken but I hope the next owner appreciates what he/she has...the greatest car I have EVER owned!!!"

excellent car

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I just have to say my 05 230 Sport Sedan is the most economical car I have ever owned. Insurance is cheaper, gas mileage is exceptional 32+ on the hwy and I always have people ask me about the car or thumbs up as I drive by-even though it is 4 years old! I have 57,000 miles on it now and will drive it over 100,000. It has been a stunning car from day one. Why they do not import the 1.8 supercharged engine anymore-not sure. It definitely beats any other luxury sedan in MPG and has great performance. Snow is no problem with Blizzak tires! If you can find one-BUY IT! You will not be disappointed!"

awesome

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "just excellent"

Cons: "a little small now that we have 2 grandchildren"

"110,000 miles and the only breakdown has been a flat tire. There is 1 complaint and that is the front brakes throw off a lot of break dust so the wheels look dirty even when the rest of the car looks clean."

Pretty good car, some cheap plastic parts

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Great car, very reliable, maintenance is not very expensive since it does not need it as frequently as other cars. There are some plastic parts (door handles, cup holders) that are poorly made and have broken from regular use. Considering the price of the car and reputation of the company, I would have expected the interior door handles (all 4 front and back) to not BREAK within the first 5 years of the cars life....But everything else is pretty great."

So incredibly reliable

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "a nice, busy, 189bhp engine which is very reliable"

Cons: "maintenance costs"

"Very reliable which is great considering how much repairing german cars can cost. I have absolutely no complaints about this car, the steer might be a little heavier than i would want in a perfect world but the wheel provides a great deal of feedback from the tires. The engine, a small inline 4 produces a very respectable 189 bhp and a similar torque number is great and supercharged! i would have loved a bit more power but the fuel economy i get from this engine keeps me from giving in to what would have been my only complaint on the car."

Solid as a Rock

By on Thursday, August 06, 2009

"This is my sixth MB (in 15 years) and my fourth c-class. The two non c-classes were the 1) first generation clk-class, which was my absolute favorite of all of them, hands down, and 2) the first generation ml-class, which I also loved. This is the first MB I actually bought (the others were all leases) four years ago and have not had ANY trouble whatsoever! This car gets great fuel economy, considering it's a heavy little rocket ship. I average around 20-22mpg/city and up to 26mpg/hwy. The seven-speed, inline 6 cyl, auto trans is flawless and takes off like a bullet when I need it to, especially when merging onto the highway. It also stays glued to the road in even the heaviest rains and takes corners like a dream! I have no fears when I drive this car. I don't know how MB got all that power in to such a small engine, but they did and I've never wished I had more power; you simply don't need it! I have one more payment left on my loan, and was considering getting a new MB (because I've NEVER driven a car for more than three years), but I'm going to drive this car until it gives me a reason not to. This car drives and looks just as good as the day I bought it. The exterior is flawless, and the interior trim parts are that way too! For example, the leather MB uses is the best in the biz; no cracks, splits or color changes like you'd see in other cars of this age. It's been a little gem and I'm as in love with it as I was four years ago!"

Great Value for the cost

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"The Mercedes line is a GREAT value for the money. Sure, you can spend 30,000 elsewhere for a new car, but you won't get years of free service, the millions of dollars of research built into your car to make it the best on the road. With regard to our supercharged C class, we have had only ONE problem in 4 years of owning it. The lock on the driver door bounces up and down, which required a quick trip to the dealership. This is why I rated it 4/5 for reliability. I have owned TONS of cars from sport to saloon, domestic to exotic, and by far this was our best purchase. Performance wise, the engine and transmission runs like new. With the suggested tire pressures, it will handle like a large sports car. The 6 speed manual is notchy in first, but shifts flawlessly and solifdly each change of the gate. There is just NO slop in the construction. The lines and beauty are second to none for this price point. The plastic inside is not cheap flimsy garbage you find on US cars, and the cupholder is a funny example of how much engineering money went into even the lowest line of Mercedes Benz models sold in the US. I rated comfort a 4/5 because it is a Mercedes, but with sport suspension, the idea is not truly comfort. It is stiffer than the "base model" luxury line but that is a good point. Most people don't buy an AMG version to drive it nicely across the highways, rather go bash it on a hill or twisty road, or even out on a track for a club event. Regardless, it is still quiet as can be, and the rear seating is akin to a fine buisness jet seat with it's a/c vents and well thought out lighting and access points. The front cockpit area featured heated seats, a large navigation screen, fiber optic controls on the steering wheel for your drivers information screen, individual thermostats, and so much more. The car checks tires, oil, fluids, brake pad wear, and even tells you if a bulb is out from INSIDE the car. We've NEVER had the hood up on our car. The braking assist is a nifty safety feature coupled with the full compliment of auto locking seat belts and airbags throughout. If the car senses you screaming down toward a large object, it will begin to deploy the brakes before you can reach your foot to the pedal. Phone intergration is simple with a small module added to an ethernet plug in the chilled and heated center console. the console has a vent control to allow heat or cooled air from the hvac system to flow into it near the rear. This was good for carrying a sandwich and a drink on a recent trip to Wyoming. The other little features that make this car far excel it's comeptitors are the icing on the cake. A rear window shade the automatically deploys, self dimming mirrors, auto-up and down window switches on all sides, heated seats (that actually heat), durable seats that show no wear even after 73,000 miles (check a lexus after 1/4 that many miles), vented disc brakes, ABS and Stability systems are just some. Bottom line. If you want a car that is YOURS and not makes you conform to the rat race, if you want something that doesn't cause your wallet to cry each time you reach for it, and if you enjoy adorning your drive with something you can appreciate for yearrs to come, Mercedes Benz C class is the way to go. I would shy away from any used luxury line Mercedes benz because they were less expensive than the sport models. The engines produced less power and the first owner would have had to wring it out to get the same speed you'd get from a sport engine, causing more end result wear. Further, the more expensive your mercedes was when it came from the factory, the likely it was better maintained because the owner could afford to do so. Not something you'll find often in a Caddy, 3 series BMW, Lex, or many other US or Oriental cars. Merc spent MILLIONS on development of this car, and it really shows. Beauty, classy lines, reliablility, heritage, and a quickly appreciating value, not to mention OUTSTANDING dealer network support of any of their cars. This is the way to go. The best way to fall in love with a Mercedes is to simply go drive one."

Love it if your single

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "supper cute, very nice, reliable"

Cons: "interier way too small, expensive to upkeep"

"I love this car! But there isn't enough room once I had kids. My husband hates it because it is way too small for him to be comfortable. My Dad can barely squeeze himself into the passanger seat. But, for me, when I was a single girl... it was PERFECT!"

awesome vehicle - Great gas mileage 30mpg

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"One of the best cars I ever own. Fun to drive. Great gas milealge for a 10 yr old car. MB must have known something with this one."

Do major research!!

By on Monday, May 04, 2009

"1> Not all reviews here for same model, as this category is rather broad '2001 - 2007 C-Class'. I have 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport.. bought used and rather disappointed. Major mechanicals work fine and have no complaints, but minor things keep failing on me (SRS, ABS, Traction Control, entry system failure, alarm failure, etc). One could assume maybe I just got a bad pick, but no, when I research my problems on the internet, I find many other Benz owners w/ same problems and ZERO solutions. As my 1st Benz, I'm really disappointed. The seats aren't even real leather but leatherette. Engine runs nicely and it definitely will move you if you slam the gas pedal (love the whine of that supercharger!), but the minor problems make me wonder how long I have before major problems. Also, with the intro of the new C-series, the old C's have dropped vastly in value... so until I can pay it down and not be upside down, it looks like I'm stuck w/ this car. I plan on running it into the ground since its worthless now, and will never buy Benz again after this experience."

a delight to drive

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Use of the S or C in automatic transmission helps with bad weather driving. Repairs are more expensive yet there's NOTHING like the service of a Mercedes Benz dealer. Worth the investment to purchase an extended warranty through the local MBz dealer. Premium extended warr. $2300, but if you plan to keep the car do it. Fluids -- Replacement of fluids $130 each; NOTE do NOT change your transmission fluid as that can mess up delicate clearances (this is per my service advisor at the dealer!) -- Change coolant every 30K miles. MPG -- Uses synthetic oil only and premium gasoline. Worth how the engine runs! Mine is averaging 22 mpg in city with summer a/c and stop & go traffic - 32 to 36 mpg on highway 32 with a/c. This car performs best at 70 mph cruise control. I have Kompressor engine. BODY & PAINT -- Be certain to ONLY use a certified Mercedes Benz paint and body shop. My car has orangeing bumbling / pealing where touch up done horridly by previous owner. There is NO comparison to quality of paint repairs done properly. Used certified paint shop. Can't stress that enough!! TRANSMISSION. I have an automatic, so far doing fine at 33,500 miles. Told to not change the transmission fluid at all. Do not mess with it. My dealer told me that there are close clearances and this can actually mess up the transmission. -- DRIVING FEEL - Overall, it is a joy to drive, I get comments on my 2-door coupe all the time. Even whistles from the guys at a small town chicken place when I did the drive through. Fun to drive, watch spin out on fast acceleration - use the C / S for wet pavement and you'll do fine. This car has an amazing passing gear acceleration! Great for highway and city driving. Repairs - brakes $230 to $440 per axle Fluids - $130 coolant, $130 brakes should replace at about 30,000 miles Transmission Fluid - do not change it, leave the transmission intact! Alignment - $295 due to part kit required; important to keep tires in good condition, esp on low profile tire wear Flat tires - keep the tire, there are sensors inside!! if anyone fixes a flat for you other than the dealer make sure they know about internal sensor inside the tires So the repairs are about $1,000 per year is what I am estimating to maintain it. I have only had mine for a little over a year and just met with dealer service adviser last week. I plan to purchase $2300 Premium level extended warranty. Hope this helps you reach your decision. The 2-door Kompressor Coupe with sun roof gets head turning looks all the time. SEATS -- I have fabric seats and really prefer them to leather, but that is personal choice. They have leather conditioner at the parts and service department for those with leather seats... A true joy to drive! A head turner, nice comments on my car every time I take it to the car wash, to local stores, never a dull moment!"

Reliable, solid as a bank vault, reasonable mpg.

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "solidity, reliability, prestige, safety."

Cons: "can't think of any"

"Have owned this '02 model since '05. It has not developed one single squeak or clunk since we've had it. Everything still works just like the first day we owned it. Drives really easy and good on long trips for two. Service a little pricey, but it doesn't need much besides oil changes. I'd get in it and drive to New York tomorrow with no reservations."

Picked this up used, Pleasantly Surprised

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Good engineering,"

Cons: "Everyone tries to rip you off for repairs"

"Mechanically pretty solid. The value depreciates pretty quickly so you can pick up one pretty cheaply. Handles well in all weather even though it's RWD. Fuel economy is good; I get about 8 l/100km city and 7 l/100km on the highway after the engine is warm. The previous owner tried to do some repairs himself and didn't do a very good job, so I had to deal with that. But other than that, the repairs have been routine stuff: battery, tires, brake pads, belts. The only downside is garages try to gouge you for repairs because of the brand. I was quoted $2800 for replacing the springs on the front axle and about $1500 for replacing a front torquing arm. I turned down those repairs."

I love my car!!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Very safe (built strong), sound system"

Cons: "Price to maintain"

"I bought this car 2yrs ago and I love it. It's just very expensive to maintain I just spent $598.62 for a new alternator. The electrical system sucks lol. But over all this car is very safe I had an accident I was hit from behind by a Jeep Cherokee the front of his truck was a wreck and I had a small dent I was very happy that I chose Mercedes Benz"

Exquisitely machined engine

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "best of all worlds"

Cons: "rear sun shade broke after 7 years of working well"

"The performance out of this little 189hb super charged 4 cylinder is impressive. I can hit 120 with ease and she just gets more solid. Handling is about as precise as I have ever experienced (short of the Porsche 911 but for a sedan she's hot) The biggest drawback on this baby is the tires are different circumference on the rear so no rotation is possible front to back, and the Michelins are directional so no rotation right to left (making tire pressure critical) and the low front air dam keeps coming in contact with parking stops, destroys the fiberglass which has been repaired twice in the 8 years I've owned this mean sleek speed machine (top mpg was 35)"

a great car

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

"I really like this car. It responds quickly to everything. I feel in control at all times. It's small, but roomy and I have been getting up to 30 mpg on the highway. It seems to be a reliable and good looking car."