2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 817 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Why buy a cookie cutter car ?

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Quality Looks Sport performance Big trunk"

Cons: "Low stance Back seat room"

07 c230 sport

"When my wifes 01 Cherokee broke, I started looking at cars I felt fit her personality, gorgeous looks and driving style. I looked here at kbb.com for info and reviews of many, many cars. I reviewed for a month or so and couldn't find a fit. Someone here in the neighborhood owns, and drives by the house in a C350 that I covet. So I thought hmm, let's look at the Germans. We decided to look at a used BMW 3 series. We both drove the beemer and felt it was sub-par in the interior fit and finish(cupholder issue). Luckily just in on trade was an 07 230 sport, black on black(pictured). We drove it the same day the guy traded it in. The dealership hadn't gone through it yet, it needed a bath and some of his things were still in the console (business cards change and pens). The first noticable improvement over the 325i was the cockpit layout, overall quality, comfort and support of the seats,the console(cupholders), A/C, window switches, radio controls and even the feel of the pedals. Driving the 230 was heads above the BMW as well, crispy shifting triptronic-esq 6 spd trans, and throttle response. The suspension was smooth, quick and firm, I blasted over R/R tracks to feel and listen to the suspension. What really shocked me was the brakes, race car like big drilled/slotted rotors and hi performance multi-piston calipers bring the car to a halt right now. I have upgraded the brakes in my other cars(Mustangs, Volvo S60) with the good stuff(EBC) and the little Merc is right there in factory form. This car zooms around much better than I would have figured with just over 200 hp. I think it has to do with the 6 speed trans and MB engineers calculating the gearing right. It lacks low end torque like my v8 Mustangs or the insane boost of the Volvo(9.5psi), but past 3k rpm's the motor growls and builds speed magically, it doesn't make sense but it accelerates very well. On the Interstate the car is a blast to drive! The car is very sticky and smooth the faster it goes. The feeling from 75mph to the century mark is mostly unchanged. I've gone as fast as 120mph confidently. The high beam headlights are insanely bright and reach way out front. Driving in heavy rain is very good as well. Driving this car gives you confidence in your safety, it feels like fitted armor. The bad is road noise, it is a bit intrusive without the stereo on. The driver menu's ( mpg's, distance traveled, clock etc.) is confusing without the manual. Shifting the trans manually is weird (but worth the increased rpm's) push right for up, and left for down. I am used to up for up, and down for down. I accidentally tested the rev limiter pushing the shifter upwards into neutral @ 5500 rpm's(not good)I'm used to it now. I am 6ft 2in and 225 lbs, my wife is 5ft 10in and we fit good in the car up front, getting in and out is daunting because the car is very, very low. When our equally heighted boys are in the back seat, it's tight for them. We drove 3 hours to Tampa and they didn't complain about comfort, but were happy to get out and stretch by the end. I have owned the car 6 months and am very happy with the $15000 purchase. I purchased a 100k mile powertrain warranty just in case. My wife likes it but wants a taller vehicle, but, she looks so dang good driving it. Thanks for reading."

07 c230 sport

You Get What you Pay For

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Never had a significant issue with this car and have obviously put plenty of miles on it. Others I talk to say it has to 300K mi easy. Really a joy to drive and as reliable as they come."

I love my car, all 162000 miles

By on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"The C coupe is the most misunderstood Mercedes in the US. For the 4 short years it was sold, people in the US just didn't embrace it. It's an excellent compromise between a sports car and a sport ute. With the seats folded down, you have 5 ft of cargo space. It's a bit pricey to maintain. For me I've been lucky, I bought it new, and got the extended warranty which easily paid for itself. After 100K I've been on my own, but nothing terrible has happened. As to be expected the brushes in the alternator gave out at 120K, the spark plugs had to be replaced again, as they were stressing the ignition coils and causing to fail and odd thing, but the coils are only $35. Despite the dealer hype of a "lifetime fill" of the transmission, it is imperative to replace the fluid, which I did at 120K as the tranny began to act erratically. Very irresponsible of MB to tell people that, when everywhere else in the world it's considered a maint. item every 60K Kilometers. Changing it regularly will increase the life of the tranny. Since at the time it was free maint they just didn't want to do it. The starter failed recently, and I had to replace the Catalytic converter, Other than that, rear brakes, and tires. Put Akebono ceramics pads on and you'll only have to do the brakes every 100K miles. I replaced the suspension with stiffer springs and sway bars, and it's drives like it's on rails. AMG bar in the front, HR in the rear is the perfect combo for the coupe. I added Bixenons, and lots of other goodies. A great value for the money. Beware of 2003-2004 1,8L engines. 2005 or 2002 2.3L is best."

Great car, handles excellent... Repairs $$$

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, sleek its a MBZ"

Cons: "Repairs and tires $$$$"

"We have had this car for almost 10years, driven it hard and put a lot of commute miles on it. My only complaint is after getting 8-9 years old things start to break and repairs are expensive.. fan belt pulley tensioner, rear window screen, passenger door handle, mass air flow sensor, wiper washer reservoir,all after about 7 years old. I highly recommend a one time wheel alignment contract with your favorite repair shop front alignment goes out a lot...I have a son who is a auto mechanic and he saved me lots of money on service fees and when things needed work to be done. I do not like the tires being front and back specific they can not be rotated so tire costs are high over the life time. With that said Benny has been a great car. I would recommend Mercedes C-class to any new MBZ newby but be ready to afford what you are buying."

Very nice car

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Dealer maintenance costs"

"I never had an import until I bought my 2003 C320 when it was 5 yrs old with 93k miles. Now have ~155k on it. My car had previously been owned by 2 women and I suspect that the second owner was scared into selling it by dealer maintenance cost shock. MB dealers treat you as if you have money to burn. I did a brake job and corrected some minor wiring issues with a few dollars worth of parts. Since then, the only thing that has gone wrong is that the rear sunshade will not retract and the oil level sensor failed. The car handles well, rides well, accelerates at least adequately, and is very comfortable. It is handy to be able to do some of your own maintenance to avoid stealership prices. Oil changes don't require you to get under the vehicle. Brakes and plugs are far easier than a Chevy truck. The car is assembled like a swiss watch. There really is something to be said for German engineerng."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, perfect size"

Cons: "Not cheap to maintain, but very little maint req"

"I have owned my C230 for 6 years and haven't found anything else that I would even consider driving. This has been a fabulous and FUN car. My only complaints are cosmetic. I have had to replace the interior front door handles on both the driver and passenger side, the cd player has been fixed 2 or 3 times, and the driver's window motor broke. The replacements are not inexpensive, but I would still recommend this car, and it's value."

Bought it w/ 90K, won't give it up with 190K !!!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "looks, overall pwr, AWD, heated seats, sound syst"

Cons: "front cup holder(s), console nooks and crannies"

"I purchased my 2003 Mercedes C240 4-Matic in 2010 with just under 90,000 miles on it. I paid $12,000 for it, which may have been a bit high, but the dealer helped me out of a car I was upside-down on. The Mercedes is just about to hit 200,000. I will own this car forever. As has been said in other reviews, you'll spend $300 to $1000 a year to have it repaired, BUT--it you're without a car payment at all (as most 2003 owners would be, one way or another), even $1,500 a year (for this car) is peanuts! This is a fantastic car. the 4-Matic all-wheel-drive system takes me where four-wheel trucks will not go, and I have a 4-wheel truck to compare it to. I get roughly 30 mpg on the highway, and 24-25 mpg in the city. It doesn't have the snappiest 6-cyl engine on the planet, but it whispers at 100 mph, and sounds, feels and drives like a much larger car at all times. If this car died today, I'd be looking for another--with 100,000 miles on it. I'm not paid to extol the virtues of this car...I'm just a guy who loves his little Mercedes sedan."

Great to drive, not to keep for long.

By on Friday, October 23, 2009

"Let me just say that I've had this car from the very beginning in 2004. Here I am 46,100 miles later. Just finished Service A @ 42000 miles and paid around 1000 (little more) for synthetic fluids, new spark plugs, and windshield wipers. At the time my sunroof wouldn't "auto express close," my cd changer was no longer recognized (cant get my cds out anymore), and my rear fog light has fused. No biggie. I figured after a service that cost that much, I would be good to go till 10,000 miles later. Yeah right...more than 6000 miles more before my next service, and I get a battery/alternator warning. ESP, ABS, SRS warning lights come on (probably because there was not enough power) but the car still works. I think its a faulty alternator. I figured since my battery wasn't replaced since 04, and its now 09, its time to change it. After replacing it for $240, my tech says, all should work, but if you get an alternator warning light in the future, keep in mind that you may need to replace that as well. Yeah, nice try man, not gonna happen...o wait, it happened. Same problems. Gonna cost me $850. So its time to sell this thing before I spend anymore on servicing it. Probably should go for a toyota. Ill miss the fun times I had driving it (a lot of fun) and the really cool german precision engineering. Seriously, this thing would tell me when a light stopped working, would let me know exactly how much fuel I had remaining, I loved the 3 click indicator while switch lanes, auto wipers, fake leather -4 stars for quality (yeh fake leather...paid 40K for fake leather, but it looks new and great 5 years later), everything feels like quality, unlike a plastic gmc yukon. I did feel embarrassed to have paid 40K for an inline 4 for less than 200hp... too bad I never got a chance to see how fast it would go either. Only reached up to around 120mph. I wanted to keep this car forever and say proudly that this was my first car. a classic. tear. but i cant. Servicing this killed me and sadly, no more mercedes for me. Dont recommend A solid 2.67 stars."

I've had this car 7 years and still LOVE it!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Drives great & great styling."

Cons: "Seat sits a little low even if you move it up."

"This car drives like a dream with a responsive feel. I purchased mine new in 2006 and still have it. It gets good gas mileage 21 city and up to 28-29 on highway. Mine is silver w/black interior and it is still beautiful."

I love this car. Best car ever!

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pros: "Everything. The ultimate dream car"

Cons: "Repair costs"

"The more I drive this car the better it gets. It has somehow learned the best interior setting for my personal comfort. I do believe it is the best car on the market! A true joy to drive. If there any negatives, I would have to say that you have to pay for such a great car when it comes to repairs. Even oil change prices shocked me. Now that I no longer employed and disabled I am afraid that I may have to sell it. It's in great shape now but have just been told that it will need brakes eventually. My heart is broken but I hope the next owner appreciates what he/she has...the greatest car I have EVER owned!!!"