2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 818 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Great entry level Benz

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Quality of a Benz, the price of a domestic car"

Cons: "fronted too low, easy to hit curb stops."

"Overall this is a great car. a couple of little quirks though. such as the transmission doesn't alway know how to respond. sometimes its sluggish, sometimes its snappy, depending on my recent driving habits. But sometimes there is a need to be snappy and it just doesn't get up and go. I found if I tap the accelerator as if I were double clutching it will go back to being responsive. kinda weird behavior. only other thing that is less than positive is it fogs up pretty easily. fortunately the front defrost will take care of it in a quick hurry. The maintenance cost on this car is not as bad as I expected for it being a Benz. although it costs quite a bit just for an oil change, if you factor in that the recommended changes are 13,000 instead of 3,000 the cost is about the same as other vehicles."

Great car

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, picks up well, comfy"

Cons: "maint. can be expensive, space"

"I really like my car. I have put 100k on it in 4 years and it runs great. Very solid and safe. Hopefully I can put another 100k on it."

champange on a beer budget

By on Saturday, July 24, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2004 and while some problems have come up overall the car has been a great value for the money. I have had to get used to the German "over engineering" but for the 30 k I spent it is ok once I quit using the dealer for maintenance. The good: ride, milage, comfort, style, fit, and finish. The bad: dealer knowledge, diagnosing (sp) German engineering, small problems can cause major headaches to find solutions. Once found (ie air leak in rubber vac hose) prob solved. Sound system- multi cd player died and cost just doesn't justify repair. also ipod only works with fm interface unit."

Very Best Car on the Road

By on Saturday, March 27, 2010

"This is the very best car I've ever owned and/or driven. I am the original owner and have had absolutely no problems with this car in my seven years of ownership. One reason I bought a Mercedes is that Mercedes cars retain more trade-in/resale value, for longer, than any other car. It's somewhat of an investment. Yes, the initial price for the car was more than that for similar cars of other brands, but the cost of maintenance for this car has been LESS than it was for other cars I bought new; and the total costs of owning this car over time thus ends up being about, and eventually less, than for other cars of its style and size. I have kept up with the recommended service visits, which have been about four in seven years (granted, my mileage is low, just under 40,000m). The only other service visit was to replace a side mirror that I, myself, knocked off when backing out of my garage crookedly. There just aren't the maintenance headaches one has with other cars. Other cars I have bought new needed service and/or replacement of parts several times a year to the tune of at least about $700 (often much more) per visit. To say nothing of frequent oil changes. And, those other cars at some point, usually several points, stalled, or wouldn't start, etc., requiriing unscheduled service. I have never had any problems with starting, stalling, or any function of this car. Service for this car has cost only about $2000 over seven years, and other than labor costs, the costs were for normal wear and tear and discretionary items, such as new tires (once), wheel balancing, windshield wiper replacement (only once), minor scratch touch-ups, etc. I have never had to have the battery replaced. And Merccedes recommends that oil changes be made only every 10,000 miles or so. I've thus had the oil changed only about four times, or the humber of times I took it in for the recommended service visits. The helfpul information on the car panel, among other nice things, includes reminding me when it's time to take it in for service. All this, even though the first two years I owned the car I had to keep it parked outside because I had no garage in my previous residence. The car feels wonderful to drive and as if it intuitively does what I want it to do. It moves from, say, 30 miles an hour to 65 almost instantly, turns almost on a pin, etc. It's almost as if it is part of my body. After driving this car, I feel like our secondary car drives like a boat. Yes, you need to use the most expensive gas for Mercedes cars, but the mileage is so good on my Mercedes that I end up spending more for gas on our second car, which requires only standard gas. The technology, features, luxury add-ons of Mercedes cars are several years ahead of those on other cars; in fact, Mercedes invents most of the innovations that evenually end up on other cars. For instance, Mercedes had a system similar to the "OnStar" system of other cars, years before "OnStar" appeared. The first time I stopped to fill up the car, I didn't realize there was no need to press a gas cap release button inside the car,, and, being a totally non-mechanical female, I searched fruitlessly for one awhile before thinking to press the help button to ask where to find it. Someone was sitting there, just waiting to help me immediately, politely nonplussed, in the midst of my embarrassment. Before the current navigation devices came out on other cars, I was able to ask someone "up there in the sky" for directions when I was lost, and once pressed the button to tell someone that a man I passed on an isolated mountain road was stranded, periously walking along for help for his car, without a coat, in an unexpected spring snowstorm. The Mercedes person on the other end knew just where I was and contacted the police for a rescue. Thus, my car is still just as "modern" as new cars now coming on line. I can't say enough about this car -- it does everything I could want or need but make coffee! And Mercedes has a standard of service superior to that of any company I have encountered in or out of the auto business. Its employees are always extremely courteous in an understated way and go out of their way to help customers or solve problems. Long before some other car companies began offering a free loaner car during service visits, my Mercedes service center was providing me free loaners of Mercedes or other high-end cars when I visited. On top of all this, my Mercedes is a gorgeous, classy-looking car with a luxurious interior that I love - still. The styling of Mercedes cars is "understated taste," keeping them in style for years. I just can't see any reason to trade my car in, even after seven years, until our car-fueling techonology changes. Mercedes is just the classiest act around"

2003 C320

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Bought in august 2008 with 72000 miles - since purchase spent 500 on service B and 450 on alternator. Drive 80 miles a day - mostly highway and get 28 mpg going 60 - 65 mph. very comfortable and has plenty of power for a v-6. love the car and will keep it for a long time. when it dies, i willl buy another C-class Benz."

saved my life

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I have had this car for a year and a half (bought it used) and was recently t-boned by a Mack truck...I believe this car saved my life. I walked away from the accident with injuries, but walked away, nonetheless!!! This is a great car and I will never drive anything but another Mercedes!"

04 c230 kom

By on Sunday, August 03, 2008

"bought right off the trailer. I have 82K miles and no problems at all. I have found the brakes and tires do need replacing more then most. I'm on my 3rd set of tires. The tires that came with my car (michilens) didn't last long. I was shocked. I have researched diff. tires and have found one that has lasted the longest wth a good ride. Falken 452's As far as the brakes, i've had 1 set of front brakes replaced and i still have the original back brakes. My next brake job will be front and back with rotors...approx cost 600.00 from the dealer. Dealer has seen these cars come in with only 8-10K on brakes needing to be replaced. Same for tires. I believe it depends on how you drive you car. If you take care of your baby it will last for quite a long time. I love my car and have no complaints. My next car is the new C300.."

My first MB and I'm not impressed

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"I purchased the 2004 C240 wagon as a dealer loaner when it was 1-1/2 years old, about 2-1/2 years ago. For the money, it is not that great a car. The workmanship is generally OK, but certain details like the cup holder and armrest on the console are very shoddy. MB is not cutting edge when it comes to occupant convenience and it is obvious that a lot of the features such as the CD changer (located in the glove box) were afterthoughts. Mechanically the car is quite good and the body is solid, but the performance of the V-6 is only so-so. It has been and I believe it will continue to be reliable as far as the engine and transmission go, but the accessories will probably not last as long. Personally, I think the Japanese luxury brands give an overall higher level of quality and luxury for a lower price. I would not buy another MB given my impression of this one."

Great Car, Highly Suggest Purchasing!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"I have owned this car for almost 3 years and still love it! Great styling and very peppy for a 4 cylinder - no one will ever guess how affordable they are by the "looks"! With gas prices soring, it is also extremely economical. There is no other substitute - it's a Mercedes. I have had no service issues or concerns."

Great car - but not for tall people

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"My wife - 5'6" loves the C320 4matic; but I'm 6'3" and need to get out to stretch every two hours if we are traveling. We go to Myrtle Beach SC from NE PA alot; and go from snnow to ice to sun and fun... The 4 matic is the best AWD on the market; we've owned BMW's,Subaru's, SUV's and the like...NOTHING beats this drive train. We were the only vehicle on I-81 not stranded last winter during that east coast mess on Valentine's Day 2007. Plus we get 31 highway mpg; yes 31 ... No dealer problems in NE PA; they even come to pick us up with a spare 320 if necessary for service."

not for the snow

By on Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Love the car but very hard to drive in the snow"

2006 C55 AMG Rocks!

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "Power. Interior. Seats are awesome. HK Stereo."

Cons: "MPG. Repairs and maintenance is expensive."

"We have owned our C55 for 6 years. The car is an excellent from the drivers seat and boring in the passenger seat. You just want to drive it. Great power. Great seats. Steering is tight but not heavy. Car is a bit thirsty when it comes to gas consumption. The paint and interior surfaces have held up excellent. Maintenance costs are on the high side but not unexpected for an AMG model. Get an extended warranty through the MB dealer to offset long term costs and repairs if any. We have experienced issues with the air conditioning system and valve cover gaskets. They are known to commonly leak, especially when not driven as ours has low mileage so I have had to replace them during ownership. Exhaust note is throaty but not loud. Overall great ownership experience."

Superb vehicle

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Exceptionally responsive and fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive to repair at M-B dealerships"

"Purchased my 2002 C240 in 2006 from a very reputable dealership. The vehicle has performed beyond my expectations, both in reliability, quality and performance, with only minor issues over the past eight years. Quality of workmanship is as expected from a premium German automobile company. I will soon be purchasing another C-Class as I am now sold on Mercedes-Benz products."

I really like this car, the ride is excellent

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "nice to drive, very comfortable."

Cons: "the cost of maintenance of vehicle"

"this is a very nice car. I always wanted a mercedes, the look of this car turns heads it is a capri blue (dark blue) It is 2007 model without the navigation system. I take really good care of this car and service when prompted. Its really like taken care of something special, don't park near other cars because they will ding your doors all the time! ahhh! The cost of service is really much more than I had anticipated when I bought the car about a 1.5 years ago. So when I am done paying for this car in a year I will trade or sell private."

love the look

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

"wish it were better on gas"

I will NEVER BUY AGAIN

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Well balanced when it has not at repair shop"

Cons: "Too many read my review!"

"I hope Mercedes will take their unreliable cars back and junk them. I should of cash it in at "Cash for Clunkers" Obama should me made this car an exception. I preowned since 2003 with only 19K miles and now its 60K miles and had to fix many components. First under warrant I had the AC vent motor replaced, instrument cluster lights was also replaced, rear window fall of the track ( poor design), G sensor for traction control replaced, Mass Air Flow sensor replaced, rear lights error code and it was easy fix. Ohh can't forget about this one! Rear mail seal is also leaking at 60K miles ---- Are you serious? This is a German car or suppose to be. All the low budget cars that I owned never had the rear mail seal leak ... I owned many cars and I am a weekend mechanic, I drag race, ride dirt bikes and quads, off-road ... I also worked at auto shop selling wrenching and been around cars since age 14 and now I am 34. I had money to spend so I bought it and now I could of use that money for my house!"

comfortable, smooth and reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"This car is awesome. It is absolutely great on gas and it has just enough power. A very smooth ride for long trips, wished it has more space for the passengers. Overall design is the car is great"

Love this Car

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "Great price for all that you get"

Cons: "Little pricy maintenance, but"

"A very fun var to drive. My favorite car i have owned. Maintenance is reliable and rare, but will cost a little to get done. However when you get it done, it is top shelf. Many of the added services actually make the price similar to my Honda (i.e. pricy oil change, but they detail your car inside and out, price balances out with the detail added). Have owned it for over 4 years and have only put new tires/oil changes on this vehicle. Very fast and elegant."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "smooth ride, fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat"

"This car drives so smooth. Looks sporty even with 4 doors. I get compliments on it all the time. The only drawback is the small back seat."

06 Benz C350 4MATIC

By on Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Quick, Good on ice many options. i love it good power and very reliable. surprisingly good gas mileage to. i would recommend it to anyone."

Still driving great

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I am one happy owner of one of only 2,000 u.s. distributed 2002 C230 kompressors. I bought it in 2006, it's been 4 years now and it still drives wonderful. I have heard about electrical issues, and yes I have had to put money into fixing door locks that malfuntioned, but overall this is a great car. It is up to 124k miles now and drives like it did when I bought it at 34k. The services can be pricey, but I have not had to do any major repairs at all. Decent mileage, nice look, reliable engine, comfortable front seats. If you dont need a family car to fit 4 comfortably(back seats can be tight), you'll be happy with this"

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Great car, outstanding gas mileage! Seats are not comfortable and become more uncomfortable on road trips. The car has not retained its value at I though it would!"

Late Lamented MB Hatchback

By on Saturday, July 10, 2010

"My wife and I purchased our C230 coupe as a certified used with about 27K on it. All I can say about its reliability is... I should have never dropped the $2,000 on the extended contract, which is an absolute compliment to this little hatchback. We're nearing 75K three years later, and the darn thing has never needed anything more than oil changes, tires, and some new front brake pads. The C230 has been a little tank. It has terrific hatchback utility with just enough handling bite and a firm yet compliant ride on the highway. My only real beef is with the antiquated 4-spd automatic transmission, which really doesn't like to kick-down, and has too much spacing between the gears. Otherwise, the car is rattle free, the seat fabric looks brand-new, and our standard poddle never gets tired of riding in the back."

mercedes for cheaper than a honda

By on Friday, April 02, 2010

"I bought this car (06 C280 4matic) about a year ago. I only paid $16k. I couldn't find a better car for the money. My previous car was a lexus. I was hesitant about ti being german, my only other experience was with porsche and it was a nightmare. I have changed the oil myself and was very impressed with how the car is put together. I have had no problems with the car. The oil gets changed every 13k miles like recomended and it still looked clean. By the way the one thing I realized is there are no oil dipsticks in Mercedes. Then I realized the only time I had to open the hood in a year was to jump start someone elses car. It holds that much washer fluid and has never given me a reason to open the hood. The only downside if any is that you must use premuim gas."

I would buy it again

By on Friday, January 29, 2010

"This carry is comfortable, affordable and classical stylish. If I had to give it a knock it would be a rear speaker is sub par. After 4.5 years, i hear a tinny vibration in the right rear speaker. Mike"