2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 822 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Very nice car

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Dealer maintenance costs"

"I never had an import until I bought my 2003 C320 when it was 5 yrs old with 93k miles. Now have ~155k on it. My car had previously been owned by 2 women and I suspect that the second owner was scared into selling it by dealer maintenance cost shock. MB dealers treat you as if you have money to burn. I did a brake job and corrected some minor wiring issues with a few dollars worth of parts. Since then, the only thing that has gone wrong is that the rear sunshade will not retract and the oil level sensor failed. The car handles well, rides well, accelerates at least adequately, and is very comfortable. It is handy to be able to do some of your own maintenance to avoid stealership prices. Oil changes don't require you to get under the vehicle. Brakes and plugs are far easier than a Chevy truck. The car is assembled like a swiss watch. There really is something to be said for German engineerng."

Great car, handles excellent... Repairs $$$

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, sleek its a MBZ"

Cons: "Repairs and tires $$$$"

"We have had this car for almost 10years, driven it hard and put a lot of commute miles on it. My only complaint is after getting 8-9 years old things start to break and repairs are expensive.. fan belt pulley tensioner, rear window screen, passenger door handle, mass air flow sensor, wiper washer reservoir,all after about 7 years old. I highly recommend a one time wheel alignment contract with your favorite repair shop front alignment goes out a lot...I have a son who is a auto mechanic and he saved me lots of money on service fees and when things needed work to be done. I do not like the tires being front and back specific they can not be rotated so tire costs are high over the life time. With that said Benny has been a great car. I would recommend Mercedes C-class to any new MBZ newby but be ready to afford what you are buying."

Bought it w/ 90K, won't give it up with 190K !!!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "looks, overall pwr, AWD, heated seats, sound syst"

Cons: "front cup holder(s), console nooks and crannies"

"I purchased my 2003 Mercedes C240 4-Matic in 2010 with just under 90,000 miles on it. I paid $12,000 for it, which may have been a bit high, but the dealer helped me out of a car I was upside-down on. The Mercedes is just about to hit 200,000. I will own this car forever. As has been said in other reviews, you'll spend $300 to $1000 a year to have it repaired, BUT--it you're without a car payment at all (as most 2003 owners would be, one way or another), even $1,500 a year (for this car) is peanuts! This is a fantastic car. the 4-Matic all-wheel-drive system takes me where four-wheel trucks will not go, and I have a 4-wheel truck to compare it to. I get roughly 30 mpg on the highway, and 24-25 mpg in the city. It doesn't have the snappiest 6-cyl engine on the planet, but it whispers at 100 mph, and sounds, feels and drives like a much larger car at all times. If this car died today, I'd be looking for another--with 100,000 miles on it. I'm not paid to extol the virtues of this car...I'm just a guy who loves his little Mercedes sedan."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, perfect size"

Cons: "Not cheap to maintain, but very little maint req"

"I have owned my C230 for 6 years and haven't found anything else that I would even consider driving. This has been a fabulous and FUN car. My only complaints are cosmetic. I have had to replace the interior front door handles on both the driver and passenger side, the cd player has been fixed 2 or 3 times, and the driver's window motor broke. The replacements are not inexpensive, but I would still recommend this car, and it's value."

Great to drive, not to keep for long.

By on Friday, October 23, 2009

"Let me just say that I've had this car from the very beginning in 2004. Here I am 46,100 miles later. Just finished Service A @ 42000 miles and paid around 1000 (little more) for synthetic fluids, new spark plugs, and windshield wipers. At the time my sunroof wouldn't "auto express close," my cd changer was no longer recognized (cant get my cds out anymore), and my rear fog light has fused. No biggie. I figured after a service that cost that much, I would be good to go till 10,000 miles later. Yeah right...more than 6000 miles more before my next service, and I get a battery/alternator warning. ESP, ABS, SRS warning lights come on (probably because there was not enough power) but the car still works. I think its a faulty alternator. I figured since my battery wasn't replaced since 04, and its now 09, its time to change it. After replacing it for $240, my tech says, all should work, but if you get an alternator warning light in the future, keep in mind that you may need to replace that as well. Yeah, nice try man, not gonna happen...o wait, it happened. Same problems. Gonna cost me $850. So its time to sell this thing before I spend anymore on servicing it. Probably should go for a toyota. Ill miss the fun times I had driving it (a lot of fun) and the really cool german precision engineering. Seriously, this thing would tell me when a light stopped working, would let me know exactly how much fuel I had remaining, I loved the 3 click indicator while switch lanes, auto wipers, fake leather -4 stars for quality (yeh fake leather...paid 40K for fake leather, but it looks new and great 5 years later), everything feels like quality, unlike a plastic gmc yukon. I did feel embarrassed to have paid 40K for an inline 4 for less than 200hp... too bad I never got a chance to see how fast it would go either. Only reached up to around 120mph. I wanted to keep this car forever and say proudly that this was my first car. a classic. tear. but i cant. Servicing this killed me and sadly, no more mercedes for me. Dont recommend A solid 2.67 stars."

I've had this car 7 years and still LOVE it!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Drives great & great styling."

Cons: "Seat sits a little low even if you move it up."

"This car drives like a dream with a responsive feel. I purchased mine new in 2006 and still have it. It gets good gas mileage 21 city and up to 28-29 on highway. Mine is silver w/black interior and it is still beautiful."

I love this car. Best car ever!

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pros: "Everything. The ultimate dream car"

Cons: "Repair costs"

"The more I drive this car the better it gets. It has somehow learned the best interior setting for my personal comfort. I do believe it is the best car on the market! A true joy to drive. If there any negatives, I would have to say that you have to pay for such a great car when it comes to repairs. Even oil change prices shocked me. Now that I no longer employed and disabled I am afraid that I may have to sell it. It's in great shape now but have just been told that it will need brakes eventually. My heart is broken but I hope the next owner appreciates what he/she has...the greatest car I have EVER owned!!!"

excellent car

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I just have to say my 05 230 Sport Sedan is the most economical car I have ever owned. Insurance is cheaper, gas mileage is exceptional 32+ on the hwy and I always have people ask me about the car or thumbs up as I drive by-even though it is 4 years old! I have 57,000 miles on it now and will drive it over 100,000. It has been a stunning car from day one. Why they do not import the 1.8 supercharged engine anymore-not sure. It definitely beats any other luxury sedan in MPG and has great performance. Snow is no problem with Blizzak tires! If you can find one-BUY IT! You will not be disappointed!"

awesome

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "just excellent"

Cons: "a little small now that we have 2 grandchildren"

"110,000 miles and the only breakdown has been a flat tire. There is 1 complaint and that is the front brakes throw off a lot of break dust so the wheels look dirty even when the rest of the car looks clean."

Pretty good car, some cheap plastic parts

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Great car, very reliable, maintenance is not very expensive since it does not need it as frequently as other cars. There are some plastic parts (door handles, cup holders) that are poorly made and have broken from regular use. Considering the price of the car and reputation of the company, I would have expected the interior door handles (all 4 front and back) to not BREAK within the first 5 years of the cars life....But everything else is pretty great."