2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 817 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Why buy a cookie cutter car ?

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Quality Looks Sport performance Big trunk"

Cons: "Low stance Back seat room"

07 c230 sport

"When my wifes 01 Cherokee broke, I started looking at cars I felt fit her personality, gorgeous looks and driving style. I looked here at kbb.com for info and reviews of many, many cars. I reviewed for a month or so and couldn't find a fit. Someone here in the neighborhood owns, and drives by the house in a C350 that I covet. So I thought hmm, let's look at the Germans. We decided to look at a used BMW 3 series. We both drove the beemer and felt it was sub-par in the interior fit and finish(cupholder issue). Luckily just in on trade was an 07 230 sport, black on black(pictured). We drove it the same day the guy traded it in. The dealership hadn't gone through it yet, it needed a bath and some of his things were still in the console (business cards change and pens). The first noticable improvement over the 325i was the cockpit layout, overall quality, comfort and support of the seats,the console(cupholders), A/C, window switches, radio controls and even the feel of the pedals. Driving the 230 was heads above the BMW as well, crispy shifting triptronic-esq 6 spd trans, and throttle response. The suspension was smooth, quick and firm, I blasted over R/R tracks to feel and listen to the suspension. What really shocked me was the brakes, race car like big drilled/slotted rotors and hi performance multi-piston calipers bring the car to a halt right now. I have upgraded the brakes in my other cars(Mustangs, Volvo S60) with the good stuff(EBC) and the little Merc is right there in factory form. This car zooms around much better than I would have figured with just over 200 hp. I think it has to do with the 6 speed trans and MB engineers calculating the gearing right. It lacks low end torque like my v8 Mustangs or the insane boost of the Volvo(9.5psi), but past 3k rpm's the motor growls and builds speed magically, it doesn't make sense but it accelerates very well. On the Interstate the car is a blast to drive! The car is very sticky and smooth the faster it goes. The feeling from 75mph to the century mark is mostly unchanged. I've gone as fast as 120mph confidently. The high beam headlights are insanely bright and reach way out front. Driving in heavy rain is very good as well. Driving this car gives you confidence in your safety, it feels like fitted armor. The bad is road noise, it is a bit intrusive without the stereo on. The driver menu's ( mpg's, distance traveled, clock etc.) is confusing without the manual. Shifting the trans manually is weird (but worth the increased rpm's) push right for up, and left for down. I am used to up for up, and down for down. I accidentally tested the rev limiter pushing the shifter upwards into neutral @ 5500 rpm's(not good)I'm used to it now. I am 6ft 2in and 225 lbs, my wife is 5ft 10in and we fit good in the car up front, getting in and out is daunting because the car is very, very low. When our equally heighted boys are in the back seat, it's tight for them. We drove 3 hours to Tampa and they didn't complain about comfort, but were happy to get out and stretch by the end. I have owned the car 6 months and am very happy with the $15000 purchase. I purchased a 100k mile powertrain warranty just in case. My wife likes it but wants a taller vehicle, but, she looks so dang good driving it. Thanks for reading."

07 c230 sport

You Get What you Pay For

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Never had a significant issue with this car and have obviously put plenty of miles on it. Others I talk to say it has to 300K mi easy. Really a joy to drive and as reliable as they come."

I love my car, all 162000 miles

By on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"The C coupe is the most misunderstood Mercedes in the US. For the 4 short years it was sold, people in the US just didn't embrace it. It's an excellent compromise between a sports car and a sport ute. With the seats folded down, you have 5 ft of cargo space. It's a bit pricey to maintain. For me I've been lucky, I bought it new, and got the extended warranty which easily paid for itself. After 100K I've been on my own, but nothing terrible has happened. As to be expected the brushes in the alternator gave out at 120K, the spark plugs had to be replaced again, as they were stressing the ignition coils and causing to fail and odd thing, but the coils are only $35. Despite the dealer hype of a "lifetime fill" of the transmission, it is imperative to replace the fluid, which I did at 120K as the tranny began to act erratically. Very irresponsible of MB to tell people that, when everywhere else in the world it's considered a maint. item every 60K Kilometers. Changing it regularly will increase the life of the tranny. Since at the time it was free maint they just didn't want to do it. The starter failed recently, and I had to replace the Catalytic converter, Other than that, rear brakes, and tires. Put Akebono ceramics pads on and you'll only have to do the brakes every 100K miles. I replaced the suspension with stiffer springs and sway bars, and it's drives like it's on rails. AMG bar in the front, HR in the rear is the perfect combo for the coupe. I added Bixenons, and lots of other goodies. A great value for the money. Beware of 2003-2004 1,8L engines. 2005 or 2002 2.3L is best."

Great car, handles excellent... Repairs $$$

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, sleek its a MBZ"

Cons: "Repairs and tires $$$$"

"We have had this car for almost 10years, driven it hard and put a lot of commute miles on it. My only complaint is after getting 8-9 years old things start to break and repairs are expensive.. fan belt pulley tensioner, rear window screen, passenger door handle, mass air flow sensor, wiper washer reservoir,all after about 7 years old. I highly recommend a one time wheel alignment contract with your favorite repair shop front alignment goes out a lot...I have a son who is a auto mechanic and he saved me lots of money on service fees and when things needed work to be done. I do not like the tires being front and back specific they can not be rotated so tire costs are high over the life time. With that said Benny has been a great car. I would recommend Mercedes C-class to any new MBZ newby but be ready to afford what you are buying."

Very nice car

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Dealer maintenance costs"

"I never had an import until I bought my 2003 C320 when it was 5 yrs old with 93k miles. Now have ~155k on it. My car had previously been owned by 2 women and I suspect that the second owner was scared into selling it by dealer maintenance cost shock. MB dealers treat you as if you have money to burn. I did a brake job and corrected some minor wiring issues with a few dollars worth of parts. Since then, the only thing that has gone wrong is that the rear sunshade will not retract and the oil level sensor failed. The car handles well, rides well, accelerates at least adequately, and is very comfortable. It is handy to be able to do some of your own maintenance to avoid stealership prices. Oil changes don't require you to get under the vehicle. Brakes and plugs are far easier than a Chevy truck. The car is assembled like a swiss watch. There really is something to be said for German engineerng."