2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 830 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Great value, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Awesome handling."

Cons: "Tire burner"

"We bought this 2004 car in 2008 in anticipation duaghter driving it. My wife decided to drive it instead and gave her car to my daughter to drive. When I finally gave it to ny daughter, she immediately fell in love with the car. It's fun to drive, economical, can jump when you push it, and rides smooth at autobahn speeds. Been reliable, runs great - biggest downside: we have the sport model (which is like driving on rails) but the low-profile, high performance tires we kept on that car were not cheap. Upside, better gas mileage than reported."

Great car.

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, 13000 miles between services."

Cons: "When the 13000 miles are up, expect $200.00 bill"

"I did alot of research before making my purchase and found a few negative issues which seemed to occur in regaurds to the car. Of these the only one I have experienced was the interior handle on the driverside door breaking loose. I fixed it myself. I average 25.5-28 mpg depending on the time of year and how agressive I feel like driving. I drive 29 miles to and from work every day and to the gym 18 miles each way three times a week for an average of 398 miles. To do this on one tank or less of fuel is important to me. I also have ran the car with midgrade fuel and never had a problem 50,000 miles without any so far. I love this car and would reccomend it to anyone who wants a sporty car with all the comforts of a Benz, and in my oopinion also gets above average gas milage."

great performance but lots going wrong

By on Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Many thing have gone wrong with this car over the years that I would never have expected based on my Infiniti and Toyota. Replacing lights is a monthly routine. The electrical system shorts easily and drains the battery. Many of the interior trim components have cracked , broken and/ot fallen off, (Geershift shroud, specker covers, pop up cup holder, AM reception) Brake and tire replacement are about twice what is required on my other cars (not to mention the excessive brake dust) Recently the AC and sunroof have stopped working. This is all par for the course with this car. On the plus side the engine power and handling have been excellent. Overall, if this is what all Mercedes are like then I wouldn't get one."

Electronic problems

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"Suprisingly good gas mileage for a fairly high-performance car. Very comfortable and quiet. Has had problems with electronics since day-1. Still running well after 8 years and 140,000 miles."

Great car

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"THIS AUTOMOBILE has all the E-Class bells and whistles but in a more managable size. Gets 30 mpg on the highway and 18 in city driving, solid as a bank vault."

Best car ever !!

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, very soft."

Cons: "No GPS included and no back camera."

"I simply loved it, the way it drives, the steadiness, the comfort, versatile, the perfect power when needed. Not bad on gas quantities."

Bpoght it new in 2002

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Drives grest"

Cons: "has some rust."

"This is my third Mercedes and it still drives great. Just got a newer one and like the 2002 better."

Fabulous car!

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

Pros: "sporty, classy and fun to drive."

Cons: "poor tire wear"

"Slightly underpowered but a blast to drive. Manual transmission is crisp and has the perfect throws. Consistently 30+ mpg on trips.One ouchy AC compressor replacement but other than that just tires, oil and maintenance. Sport model handles better than most high end sports cars. A wolf in sheeps clothing on the twisty roads."

Sexy

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

"I love this car I bought mine used in 2007. It has held up pretty well, however my car has gotten a lot louder as it has gotten up in mileage. Overall the cars design is sexy and classy. I love the pep the car has and feel great driving it. I would definitely buy another one. Maintenance is expensive but what do you expect its a benz."

Under "9" review is only it's not a BMW.

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Heavy and safe."

Cons: "None, if one is looking for a well kept 2002 Benz."

"I bought this car, certified pre-owned, in 2004. Being really good about maintaining service for all the years and mileage since...it's been a safe, heavy and reliable car for me. I still love driving a Benz, but I just want to go back to VW. Personal choice. I owned 3 of them before I got the Benz. The VW CC has turned my head. That's my next car."

I love my lil Whitey!

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "Maintenance and repairs!"

"I recieved this car 9/12/11 when I was 17. This was my second car. I had just sold my '94 Accord. It was a big come up from that. It's well equipped and very attractive. The maintenance is what hurts me the most. "But it's a Mercedes", you would say, to me, it seems to need something a little too often. The driving experience in this car is great. I love to drive when I'm behind the wheel of my car. MPG is not bad either. I make 21-22 mpg."

Great entry level Benz

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Quality of a Benz, the price of a domestic car"

Cons: "fronted too low, easy to hit curb stops."

"Overall this is a great car. a couple of little quirks though. such as the transmission doesn't alway know how to respond. sometimes its sluggish, sometimes its snappy, depending on my recent driving habits. But sometimes there is a need to be snappy and it just doesn't get up and go. I found if I tap the accelerator as if I were double clutching it will go back to being responsive. kinda weird behavior. only other thing that is less than positive is it fogs up pretty easily. fortunately the front defrost will take care of it in a quick hurry. The maintenance cost on this car is not as bad as I expected for it being a Benz. although it costs quite a bit just for an oil change, if you factor in that the recommended changes are 13,000 instead of 3,000 the cost is about the same as other vehicles."

Great car

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, picks up well, comfy"

Cons: "maint. can be expensive, space"

"I really like my car. I have put 100k on it in 4 years and it runs great. Very solid and safe. Hopefully I can put another 100k on it."

If there were 2 of me...i'd buy another one

By on Friday, January 7, 2011

"Found this 07 C230 at a Mercedes dealership with 9700 miles. Never owned a Mercedes... we are spoiled for future vehicle purchases. First one but not the last one. Very classy styling, handles beautifully, fits me like a glove. Now, where do I safely park it ?"

champange on a beer budget

By on Saturday, July 24, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2004 and while some problems have come up overall the car has been a great value for the money. I have had to get used to the German "over engineering" but for the 30 k I spent it is ok once I quit using the dealer for maintenance. The good: ride, milage, comfort, style, fit, and finish. The bad: dealer knowledge, diagnosing (sp) German engineering, small problems can cause major headaches to find solutions. Once found (ie air leak in rubber vac hose) prob solved. Sound system- multi cd player died and cost just doesn't justify repair. also ipod only works with fm interface unit."

Very Best Car on the Road

By on Saturday, March 27, 2010

"This is the very best car I've ever owned and/or driven. I am the original owner and have had absolutely no problems with this car in my seven years of ownership. One reason I bought a Mercedes is that Mercedes cars retain more trade-in/resale value, for longer, than any other car. It's somewhat of an investment. Yes, the initial price for the car was more than that for similar cars of other brands, but the cost of maintenance for this car has been LESS than it was for other cars I bought new; and the total costs of owning this car over time thus ends up being about, and eventually less, than for other cars of its style and size. I have kept up with the recommended service visits, which have been about four in seven years (granted, my mileage is low, just under 40,000m). The only other service visit was to replace a side mirror that I, myself, knocked off when backing out of my garage crookedly. There just aren't the maintenance headaches one has with other cars. Other cars I have bought new needed service and/or replacement of parts several times a year to the tune of at least about $700 (often much more) per visit. To say nothing of frequent oil changes. And, those other cars at some point, usually several points, stalled, or wouldn't start, etc., requiriing unscheduled service. I have never had any problems with starting, stalling, or any function of this car. Service for this car has cost only about $2000 over seven years, and other than labor costs, the costs were for normal wear and tear and discretionary items, such as new tires (once), wheel balancing, windshield wiper replacement (only once), minor scratch touch-ups, etc. I have never had to have the battery replaced. And Merccedes recommends that oil changes be made only every 10,000 miles or so. I've thus had the oil changed only about four times, or the humber of times I took it in for the recommended service visits. The helfpul information on the car panel, among other nice things, includes reminding me when it's time to take it in for service. All this, even though the first two years I owned the car I had to keep it parked outside because I had no garage in my previous residence. The car feels wonderful to drive and as if it intuitively does what I want it to do. It moves from, say, 30 miles an hour to 65 almost instantly, turns almost on a pin, etc. It's almost as if it is part of my body. After driving this car, I feel like our secondary car drives like a boat. Yes, you need to use the most expensive gas for Mercedes cars, but the mileage is so good on my Mercedes that I end up spending more for gas on our second car, which requires only standard gas. The technology, features, luxury add-ons of Mercedes cars are several years ahead of those on other cars; in fact, Mercedes invents most of the innovations that evenually end up on other cars. For instance, Mercedes had a system similar to the "OnStar" system of other cars, years before "OnStar" appeared. The first time I stopped to fill up the car, I didn't realize there was no need to press a gas cap release button inside the car,, and, being a totally non-mechanical female, I searched fruitlessly for one awhile before thinking to press the help button to ask where to find it. Someone was sitting there, just waiting to help me immediately, politely nonplussed, in the midst of my embarrassment. Before the current navigation devices came out on other cars, I was able to ask someone "up there in the sky" for directions when I was lost, and once pressed the button to tell someone that a man I passed on an isolated mountain road was stranded, periously walking along for help for his car, without a coat, in an unexpected spring snowstorm. The Mercedes person on the other end knew just where I was and contacted the police for a rescue. Thus, my car is still just as "modern" as new cars now coming on line. I can't say enough about this car -- it does everything I could want or need but make coffee! And Mercedes has a standard of service superior to that of any company I have encountered in or out of the auto business. Its employees are always extremely courteous in an understated way and go out of their way to help customers or solve problems. Long before some other car companies began offering a free loaner car during service visits, my Mercedes service center was providing me free loaners of Mercedes or other high-end cars when I visited. On top of all this, my Mercedes is a gorgeous, classy-looking car with a luxurious interior that I love - still. The styling of Mercedes cars is "understated taste," keeping them in style for years. I just can't see any reason to trade my car in, even after seven years, until our car-fueling techonology changes. Mercedes is just the classiest act around"

2003 C320

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Bought in august 2008 with 72000 miles - since purchase spent 500 on service B and 450 on alternator. Drive 80 miles a day - mostly highway and get 28 mpg going 60 - 65 mph. very comfortable and has plenty of power for a v-6. love the car and will keep it for a long time. when it dies, i willl buy another C-class Benz."

saved my life

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I have had this car for a year and a half (bought it used) and was recently t-boned by a Mack truck...I believe this car saved my life. I walked away from the accident with injuries, but walked away, nonetheless!!! This is a great car and I will never drive anything but another Mercedes!"

04 c230 kom

By on Sunday, August 3, 2008

"bought right off the trailer. I have 82K miles and no problems at all. I have found the brakes and tires do need replacing more then most. I'm on my 3rd set of tires. The tires that came with my car (michilens) didn't last long. I was shocked. I have researched diff. tires and have found one that has lasted the longest wth a good ride. Falken 452's As far as the brakes, i've had 1 set of front brakes replaced and i still have the original back brakes. My next brake job will be front and back with rotors...approx cost 600.00 from the dealer. Dealer has seen these cars come in with only 8-10K on brakes needing to be replaced. Same for tires. I believe it depends on how you drive you car. If you take care of your baby it will last for quite a long time. I love my car and have no complaints. My next car is the new C300.."

My first MB and I'm not impressed

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"I purchased the 2004 C240 wagon as a dealer loaner when it was 1-1/2 years old, about 2-1/2 years ago. For the money, it is not that great a car. The workmanship is generally OK, but certain details like the cup holder and armrest on the console are very shoddy. MB is not cutting edge when it comes to occupant convenience and it is obvious that a lot of the features such as the CD changer (located in the glove box) were afterthoughts. Mechanically the car is quite good and the body is solid, but the performance of the V-6 is only so-so. It has been and I believe it will continue to be reliable as far as the engine and transmission go, but the accessories will probably not last as long. Personally, I think the Japanese luxury brands give an overall higher level of quality and luxury for a lower price. I would not buy another MB given my impression of this one."

Great Car, Highly Suggest Purchasing!

By on Sunday, July 8, 2007

"I have owned this car for almost 3 years and still love it! Great styling and very peppy for a 4 cylinder - no one will ever guess how affordable they are by the "looks"! With gas prices soring, it is also extremely economical. There is no other substitute - it's a Mercedes. I have had no service issues or concerns."

Great car - but not for tall people

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"My wife - 5'6" loves the C320 4matic; but I'm 6'3" and need to get out to stretch every two hours if we are traveling. We go to Myrtle Beach SC from NE PA alot; and go from snnow to ice to sun and fun... The 4 matic is the best AWD on the market; we've owned BMW's,Subaru's, SUV's and the like...NOTHING beats this drive train. We were the only vehicle on I-81 not stranded last winter during that east coast mess on Valentine's Day 2007. Plus we get 31 highway mpg; yes 31 ... No dealer problems in NE PA; they even come to pick us up with a spare 320 if necessary for service."

2006 C55 AMG Rocks!

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "Power. Interior. Seats are awesome. HK Stereo."

Cons: "MPG. Repairs and maintenance is expensive."

"We have owned our C55 for 6 years. The car is an excellent from the drivers seat and boring in the passenger seat. You just want to drive it. Great power. Great seats. Steering is tight but not heavy. Car is a bit thirsty when it comes to gas consumption. The paint and interior surfaces have held up excellent. Maintenance costs are on the high side but not unexpected for an AMG model. Get an extended warranty through the MB dealer to offset long term costs and repairs if any. We have experienced issues with the air conditioning system and valve cover gaskets. They are known to commonly leak, especially when not driven as ours has low mileage so I have had to replace them during ownership. Exhaust note is throaty but not loud. Overall great ownership experience."

Superb vehicle

By on Friday, March 7, 2014

Pros: "Exceptionally responsive and fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive to repair at M-B dealerships"

"Purchased my 2002 C240 in 2006 from a very reputable dealership. The vehicle has performed beyond my expectations, both in reliability, quality and performance, with only minor issues over the past eight years. Quality of workmanship is as expected from a premium German automobile company. I will soon be purchasing another C-Class as I am now sold on Mercedes-Benz products."

I really like this car, the ride is excellent

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "nice to drive, very comfortable."

Cons: "the cost of maintenance of vehicle"

"this is a very nice car. I always wanted a mercedes, the look of this car turns heads it is a capri blue (dark blue) It is 2007 model without the navigation system. I take really good care of this car and service when prompted. Its really like taken care of something special, don't park near other cars because they will ding your doors all the time! ahhh! The cost of service is really much more than I had anticipated when I bought the car about a 1.5 years ago. So when I am done paying for this car in a year I will trade or sell private."