2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 829 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Do major research!!

By on Monday, May 04, 2009

"1> Not all reviews here for same model, as this category is rather broad '2001 - 2007 C-Class'. I have 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport.. bought used and rather disappointed. Major mechanicals work fine and have no complaints, but minor things keep failing on me (SRS, ABS, Traction Control, entry system failure, alarm failure, etc). One could assume maybe I just got a bad pick, but no, when I research my problems on the internet, I find many other Benz owners w/ same problems and ZERO solutions. As my 1st Benz, I'm really disappointed. The seats aren't even real leather but leatherette. Engine runs nicely and it definitely will move you if you slam the gas pedal (love the whine of that supercharger!), but the minor problems make me wonder how long I have before major problems. Also, with the intro of the new C-series, the old C's have dropped vastly in value... so until I can pay it down and not be upside down, it looks like I'm stuck w/ this car. I plan on running it into the ground since its worthless now, and will never buy Benz again after this experience."

I've had this car 7 years and still LOVE it!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Drives great & great styling."

Cons: "Seat sits a little low even if you move it up."

"This car drives like a dream with a responsive feel. I purchased mine new in 2006 and still have it. It gets good gas mileage 21 city and up to 28-29 on highway. Mine is silver w/black interior and it is still beautiful."

Pretty good car, some cheap plastic parts

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Great car, very reliable, maintenance is not very expensive since it does not need it as frequently as other cars. There are some plastic parts (door handles, cup holders) that are poorly made and have broken from regular use. Considering the price of the car and reputation of the company, I would have expected the interior door handles (all 4 front and back) to not BREAK within the first 5 years of the cars life....But everything else is pretty great."

awesome

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "just excellent"

Cons: "a little small now that we have 2 grandchildren"

"110,000 miles and the only breakdown has been a flat tire. There is 1 complaint and that is the front brakes throw off a lot of break dust so the wheels look dirty even when the rest of the car looks clean."

a delight to drive

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Use of the S or C in automatic transmission helps with bad weather driving. Repairs are more expensive yet there's NOTHING like the service of a Mercedes Benz dealer. Worth the investment to purchase an extended warranty through the local MBz dealer. Premium extended warr. $2300, but if you plan to keep the car do it. Fluids -- Replacement of fluids $130 each; NOTE do NOT change your transmission fluid as that can mess up delicate clearances (this is per my service advisor at the dealer!) -- Change coolant every 30K miles. MPG -- Uses synthetic oil only and premium gasoline. Worth how the engine runs! Mine is averaging 22 mpg in city with summer a/c and stop & go traffic - 32 to 36 mpg on highway 32 with a/c. This car performs best at 70 mph cruise control. I have Kompressor engine. BODY & PAINT -- Be certain to ONLY use a certified Mercedes Benz paint and body shop. My car has orangeing bumbling / pealing where touch up done horridly by previous owner. There is NO comparison to quality of paint repairs done properly. Used certified paint shop. Can't stress that enough!! TRANSMISSION. I have an automatic, so far doing fine at 33,500 miles. Told to not change the transmission fluid at all. Do not mess with it. My dealer told me that there are close clearances and this can actually mess up the transmission. -- DRIVING FEEL - Overall, it is a joy to drive, I get comments on my 2-door coupe all the time. Even whistles from the guys at a small town chicken place when I did the drive through. Fun to drive, watch spin out on fast acceleration - use the C / S for wet pavement and you'll do fine. This car has an amazing passing gear acceleration! Great for highway and city driving. Repairs - brakes $230 to $440 per axle Fluids - $130 coolant, $130 brakes should replace at about 30,000 miles Transmission Fluid - do not change it, leave the transmission intact! Alignment - $295 due to part kit required; important to keep tires in good condition, esp on low profile tire wear Flat tires - keep the tire, there are sensors inside!! if anyone fixes a flat for you other than the dealer make sure they know about internal sensor inside the tires So the repairs are about $1,000 per year is what I am estimating to maintain it. I have only had mine for a little over a year and just met with dealer service adviser last week. I plan to purchase $2300 Premium level extended warranty. Hope this helps you reach your decision. The 2-door Kompressor Coupe with sun roof gets head turning looks all the time. SEATS -- I have fabric seats and really prefer them to leather, but that is personal choice. They have leather conditioner at the parts and service department for those with leather seats... A true joy to drive! A head turner, nice comments on my car every time I take it to the car wash, to local stores, never a dull moment!"

Great Value for the cost

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"The Mercedes line is a GREAT value for the money. Sure, you can spend 30,000 elsewhere for a new car, but you won't get years of free service, the millions of dollars of research built into your car to make it the best on the road. With regard to our supercharged C class, we have had only ONE problem in 4 years of owning it. The lock on the driver door bounces up and down, which required a quick trip to the dealership. This is why I rated it 4/5 for reliability. I have owned TONS of cars from sport to saloon, domestic to exotic, and by far this was our best purchase. Performance wise, the engine and transmission runs like new. With the suggested tire pressures, it will handle like a large sports car. The 6 speed manual is notchy in first, but shifts flawlessly and solifdly each change of the gate. There is just NO slop in the construction. The lines and beauty are second to none for this price point. The plastic inside is not cheap flimsy garbage you find on US cars, and the cupholder is a funny example of how much engineering money went into even the lowest line of Mercedes Benz models sold in the US. I rated comfort a 4/5 because it is a Mercedes, but with sport suspension, the idea is not truly comfort. It is stiffer than the "base model" luxury line but that is a good point. Most people don't buy an AMG version to drive it nicely across the highways, rather go bash it on a hill or twisty road, or even out on a track for a club event. Regardless, it is still quiet as can be, and the rear seating is akin to a fine buisness jet seat with it's a/c vents and well thought out lighting and access points. The front cockpit area featured heated seats, a large navigation screen, fiber optic controls on the steering wheel for your drivers information screen, individual thermostats, and so much more. The car checks tires, oil, fluids, brake pad wear, and even tells you if a bulb is out from INSIDE the car. We've NEVER had the hood up on our car. The braking assist is a nifty safety feature coupled with the full compliment of auto locking seat belts and airbags throughout. If the car senses you screaming down toward a large object, it will begin to deploy the brakes before you can reach your foot to the pedal. Phone intergration is simple with a small module added to an ethernet plug in the chilled and heated center console. the console has a vent control to allow heat or cooled air from the hvac system to flow into it near the rear. This was good for carrying a sandwich and a drink on a recent trip to Wyoming. The other little features that make this car far excel it's comeptitors are the icing on the cake. A rear window shade the automatically deploys, self dimming mirrors, auto-up and down window switches on all sides, heated seats (that actually heat), durable seats that show no wear even after 73,000 miles (check a lexus after 1/4 that many miles), vented disc brakes, ABS and Stability systems are just some. Bottom line. If you want a car that is YOURS and not makes you conform to the rat race, if you want something that doesn't cause your wallet to cry each time you reach for it, and if you enjoy adorning your drive with something you can appreciate for yearrs to come, Mercedes Benz C class is the way to go. I would shy away from any used luxury line Mercedes benz because they were less expensive than the sport models. The engines produced less power and the first owner would have had to wring it out to get the same speed you'd get from a sport engine, causing more end result wear. Further, the more expensive your mercedes was when it came from the factory, the likely it was better maintained because the owner could afford to do so. Not something you'll find often in a Caddy, 3 series BMW, Lex, or many other US or Oriental cars. Merc spent MILLIONS on development of this car, and it really shows. Beauty, classy lines, reliablility, heritage, and a quickly appreciating value, not to mention OUTSTANDING dealer network support of any of their cars. This is the way to go. The best way to fall in love with a Mercedes is to simply go drive one."

Love it if your single

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "supper cute, very nice, reliable"

Cons: "interier way too small, expensive to upkeep"

"I love this car! But there isn't enough room once I had kids. My husband hates it because it is way too small for him to be comfortable. My Dad can barely squeeze himself into the passanger seat. But, for me, when I was a single girl... it was PERFECT!"

awesome vehicle - Great gas mileage 30mpg

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"One of the best cars I ever own. Fun to drive. Great gas milealge for a 10 yr old car. MB must have known something with this one."

Reliable, solid as a bank vault, reasonable mpg.

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "solidity, reliability, prestige, safety."

Cons: "can't think of any"

"Have owned this '02 model since '05. It has not developed one single squeak or clunk since we've had it. Everything still works just like the first day we owned it. Drives really easy and good on long trips for two. Service a little pricey, but it doesn't need much besides oil changes. I'd get in it and drive to New York tomorrow with no reservations."

I love my car!!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Very safe (built strong), sound system"

Cons: "Price to maintain"

"I bought this car 2yrs ago and I love it. It's just very expensive to maintain I just spent $598.62 for a new alternator. The electrical system sucks lol. But over all this car is very safe I had an accident I was hit from behind by a Jeep Cherokee the front of his truck was a wreck and I had a small dent I was very happy that I chose Mercedes Benz"

so-so

By on Monday, August 10, 2009

"I bought this car 1.5 years ago from original owner keeped all maintance up to date. I dont drive it much (82,600 miles) started dying on me, changed battery,died again, changed seat modules, died again, changed sunroof modules same thing, I checked mercedezbenz forum, read lot's of complaints w/same issue (electrical). Nice but if you don't have $ for this type of car I would not recommended it, also good in gas."

never again

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Stay away of the C class. I have owned a 01 C320 for 2 yrs and had nothing but problems. I have replaced the alternator, starter sensors, and had to have the codes cleared by the dealer many times. Now it is at the dealer needing a $2700 transmission repair. Mercedes does a fine job of over complicating its cars not to mention the outrageous cost of service. You will get the looks but its not worth the cost of keeping it on the road."

Excellent Ride

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Love my Mercedes. I bought it used and it's been about 8 months and I have no complaints. Fun to drive and pretty classy."

Picked this up used, Pleasantly Surprised

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Good engineering,"

Cons: "Everyone tries to rip you off for repairs"

"Mechanically pretty solid. The value depreciates pretty quickly so you can pick up one pretty cheaply. Handles well in all weather even though it's RWD. Fuel economy is good; I get about 8 l/100km city and 7 l/100km on the highway after the engine is warm. The previous owner tried to do some repairs himself and didn't do a very good job, so I had to deal with that. But other than that, the repairs have been routine stuff: battery, tires, brake pads, belts. The only downside is garages try to gouge you for repairs because of the brand. I was quoted $2800 for replacing the springs on the front axle and about $1500 for replacing a front torquing arm. I turned down those repairs."

Exquisitely machined engine

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "best of all worlds"

Cons: "rear sun shade broke after 7 years of working well"

"The performance out of this little 189hb super charged 4 cylinder is impressive. I can hit 120 with ease and she just gets more solid. Handling is about as precise as I have ever experienced (short of the Porsche 911 but for a sedan she's hot) The biggest drawback on this baby is the tires are different circumference on the rear so no rotation is possible front to back, and the Michelins are directional so no rotation right to left (making tire pressure critical) and the low front air dam keeps coming in contact with parking stops, destroys the fiberglass which has been repaired twice in the 8 years I've owned this mean sleek speed machine (top mpg was 35)"

a great car

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

"I really like this car. It responds quickly to everything. I feel in control at all times. It's small, but roomy and I have been getting up to 30 mpg on the highway. It seems to be a reliable and good looking car."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, great perfromance, fun to drive"

Cons: "no diesel"

"Kudo's in every aspect, best car I have ever owned! Only two problems in 6 years.....moisture in connector and fluid leak, both repaired under warranty. Wish a diesel was available in the C class."

2005 C240 4matic sedan Silver/Black

By on Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Bought this car with 86K miles on it. Very nervous about cost of ownership at first but this car has driven like a dream for the 3 months I have owned it. Had to replace outside ambient air temp sensor ($15) installed myself. Not really the cars fault, sensor sticks out of front bumper and is right in the path of any stones that are picked up. Averaging around 20-22 mpg. This car is built very solid and the ride quaility is amazing. 4matic is a drean on wet roads, almost impossible to hydroplane. You just feel safe in it. Acceleration is nothing to brag about, my old RSX/S would have killed it but who cares! Performance on the highway is more than adequate. After reading several reviews I would recommend this model to anyone, BUT take your car on a long test drive and put it through its paces before you buy it so any hidden faults will show themselves. Stayed clear of the 01-04 C-class due to reported reliability issues plus I prefer the post-facelift interior. I also liked the light color gray interior at first, but opted for black because I have read several places the light interior is a pain to keep clean."

C-230 Sport

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"This is our first Benz and so far we love it. the car handles GREAT! it corners very nicely for weighing almost 4K pounds.. The craftsmen ship is very good. every thing is sealed and covered in the engine bay makes keeping the enigne bay spotless very easy. I really like the brakes. This car stops on a dime. it has vented front disc brakes with huge calipars on the front and rear discs. I love the fact the put the AMG body kit on the sport C-230 it really give it an edgy look. There are only a few things that I don't like about this car. The first is the car is a little under powered. The C-230 sport has a V6 that puts out 209hp with 187ibs of torque. The other thing I dont like about this car is the constant cleaning that needs to be done to the front rims from all the brake dust that is generated. I have to clean the rims every other day to keep the car looking clean. other than that I highly recommend this car to anybody I am 6ft 4 in and fit comfortably. I hope this helps who ever reads this"

I love this car!

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "not cheep to maintain"

"It is a sports car in a soccer mom's body. Handles great with plenty of get-up and go power. I love all the extras and the sound system is the best I have ever heard in a factory install. I have owned mine for almost 3 years and I plan on keeping it for years to come."

Quick,quality,relaible, luxurious and comfortable

By on Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pros: "Really fun to drive. So much less $$$"

Cons: "She needs premium fuel"

"Quality German engineering in a smaller package. Quick as can be - extremely comfortable with none of the luxuries of the larger cars left out. Great in corners and on long highway trips. Never get tired of driving her. From climate control to cruise control to the moon roof and stereo, the car operates as a luxury auto should. Very smooth and quiet. Operating costs a bit higher with premium gas and an average of city/hwy fuel consumption a real 25 mpg. Remember - this is the BIG engine with lots of horses. Don't let the outside size fool you. Very comfortable for 4 people and a good sized trunk. Unless you need or want the larger E or S class - this size car really fills the bill. You will not be disappointed!"

Great value, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Awesome handling."

Cons: "Tire burner"

"We bought this 2004 car in 2008 in anticipation duaghter driving it. My wife decided to drive it instead and gave her car to my daughter to drive. When I finally gave it to ny daughter, she immediately fell in love with the car. It's fun to drive, economical, can jump when you push it, and rides smooth at autobahn speeds. Been reliable, runs great - biggest downside: we have the sport model (which is like driving on rails) but the low-profile, high performance tires we kept on that car were not cheap. Upside, better gas mileage than reported."

Great car.

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, 13000 miles between services."

Cons: "When the 13000 miles are up, expect $200.00 bill"

"I did alot of research before making my purchase and found a few negative issues which seemed to occur in regaurds to the car. Of these the only one I have experienced was the interior handle on the driverside door breaking loose. I fixed it myself. I average 25.5-28 mpg depending on the time of year and how agressive I feel like driving. I drive 29 miles to and from work every day and to the gym 18 miles each way three times a week for an average of 398 miles. To do this on one tank or less of fuel is important to me. I also have ran the car with midgrade fuel and never had a problem 50,000 miles without any so far. I love this car and would reccomend it to anyone who wants a sporty car with all the comforts of a Benz, and in my oopinion also gets above average gas milage."

Need deep pockets...

By on Saturday, May 14, 2011

"In some ways I have loved my C230 Kompressor, but hated it in other ways. The engine/motor, transmission, etc., are brilliant! The car looks and drives great. Mercedes really skimped on quality though. While I love the car, I must say I have also been very disappointed in the quality. I've had to have the sunroof fixed twice, and it is broken again. The A/C has gone out twice, and and is far too overpriced to be worth fixing a second time. Everything on the interior (all cheap little plastic bits), such as window switches and parts of door panels, is either broken, or breaking. Nothing about this car is at all a reasonable expense to fix or replace. That said, the most important parts are still solid German Engineering genius, and have given me no major problems at all. It is such a joy and pleasure to drive (except in muggy Florida summer with no A/C)."

great performance but lots going wrong

By on Sunday, August 01, 2010

"Many thing have gone wrong with this car over the years that I would never have expected based on my Infiniti and Toyota. Replacing lights is a monthly routine. The electrical system shorts easily and drains the battery. Many of the interior trim components have cracked , broken and/ot fallen off, (Geershift shroud, specker covers, pop up cup holder, AM reception) Brake and tire replacement are about twice what is required on my other cars (not to mention the excessive brake dust) Recently the AC and sunroof have stopped working. This is all par for the course with this car. On the plus side the engine power and handling have been excellent. Overall, if this is what all Mercedes are like then I wouldn't get one."