2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 822 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

So incredibly reliable

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "a nice, busy, 189bhp engine which is very reliable"

Cons: "maintenance costs"

"Very reliable which is great considering how much repairing german cars can cost. I have absolutely no complaints about this car, the steer might be a little heavier than i would want in a perfect world but the wheel provides a great deal of feedback from the tires. The engine, a small inline 4 produces a very respectable 189 bhp and a similar torque number is great and supercharged! i would have loved a bit more power but the fuel economy i get from this engine keeps me from giving in to what would have been my only complaint on the car."

Solid as a Rock

By on Thursday, August 06, 2009

"This is my sixth MB (in 15 years) and my fourth c-class. The two non c-classes were the 1) first generation clk-class, which was my absolute favorite of all of them, hands down, and 2) the first generation ml-class, which I also loved. This is the first MB I actually bought (the others were all leases) four years ago and have not had ANY trouble whatsoever! This car gets great fuel economy, considering it's a heavy little rocket ship. I average around 20-22mpg/city and up to 26mpg/hwy. The seven-speed, inline 6 cyl, auto trans is flawless and takes off like a bullet when I need it to, especially when merging onto the highway. It also stays glued to the road in even the heaviest rains and takes corners like a dream! I have no fears when I drive this car. I don't know how MB got all that power in to such a small engine, but they did and I've never wished I had more power; you simply don't need it! I have one more payment left on my loan, and was considering getting a new MB (because I've NEVER driven a car for more than three years), but I'm going to drive this car until it gives me a reason not to. This car drives and looks just as good as the day I bought it. The exterior is flawless, and the interior trim parts are that way too! For example, the leather MB uses is the best in the biz; no cracks, splits or color changes like you'd see in other cars of this age. It's been a little gem and I'm as in love with it as I was four years ago!"

Great Value for the cost

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"The Mercedes line is a GREAT value for the money. Sure, you can spend 30,000 elsewhere for a new car, but you won't get years of free service, the millions of dollars of research built into your car to make it the best on the road. With regard to our supercharged C class, we have had only ONE problem in 4 years of owning it. The lock on the driver door bounces up and down, which required a quick trip to the dealership. This is why I rated it 4/5 for reliability. I have owned TONS of cars from sport to saloon, domestic to exotic, and by far this was our best purchase. Performance wise, the engine and transmission runs like new. With the suggested tire pressures, it will handle like a large sports car. The 6 speed manual is notchy in first, but shifts flawlessly and solifdly each change of the gate. There is just NO slop in the construction. The lines and beauty are second to none for this price point. The plastic inside is not cheap flimsy garbage you find on US cars, and the cupholder is a funny example of how much engineering money went into even the lowest line of Mercedes Benz models sold in the US. I rated comfort a 4/5 because it is a Mercedes, but with sport suspension, the idea is not truly comfort. It is stiffer than the "base model" luxury line but that is a good point. Most people don't buy an AMG version to drive it nicely across the highways, rather go bash it on a hill or twisty road, or even out on a track for a club event. Regardless, it is still quiet as can be, and the rear seating is akin to a fine buisness jet seat with it's a/c vents and well thought out lighting and access points. The front cockpit area featured heated seats, a large navigation screen, fiber optic controls on the steering wheel for your drivers information screen, individual thermostats, and so much more. The car checks tires, oil, fluids, brake pad wear, and even tells you if a bulb is out from INSIDE the car. We've NEVER had the hood up on our car. The braking assist is a nifty safety feature coupled with the full compliment of auto locking seat belts and airbags throughout. If the car senses you screaming down toward a large object, it will begin to deploy the brakes before you can reach your foot to the pedal. Phone intergration is simple with a small module added to an ethernet plug in the chilled and heated center console. the console has a vent control to allow heat or cooled air from the hvac system to flow into it near the rear. This was good for carrying a sandwich and a drink on a recent trip to Wyoming. The other little features that make this car far excel it's comeptitors are the icing on the cake. A rear window shade the automatically deploys, self dimming mirrors, auto-up and down window switches on all sides, heated seats (that actually heat), durable seats that show no wear even after 73,000 miles (check a lexus after 1/4 that many miles), vented disc brakes, ABS and Stability systems are just some. Bottom line. If you want a car that is YOURS and not makes you conform to the rat race, if you want something that doesn't cause your wallet to cry each time you reach for it, and if you enjoy adorning your drive with something you can appreciate for yearrs to come, Mercedes Benz C class is the way to go. I would shy away from any used luxury line Mercedes benz because they were less expensive than the sport models. The engines produced less power and the first owner would have had to wring it out to get the same speed you'd get from a sport engine, causing more end result wear. Further, the more expensive your mercedes was when it came from the factory, the likely it was better maintained because the owner could afford to do so. Not something you'll find often in a Caddy, 3 series BMW, Lex, or many other US or Oriental cars. Merc spent MILLIONS on development of this car, and it really shows. Beauty, classy lines, reliablility, heritage, and a quickly appreciating value, not to mention OUTSTANDING dealer network support of any of their cars. This is the way to go. The best way to fall in love with a Mercedes is to simply go drive one."

Love it if your single

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "supper cute, very nice, reliable"

Cons: "interier way too small, expensive to upkeep"

"I love this car! But there isn't enough room once I had kids. My husband hates it because it is way too small for him to be comfortable. My Dad can barely squeeze himself into the passanger seat. But, for me, when I was a single girl... it was PERFECT!"

awesome vehicle - Great gas mileage 30mpg

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"One of the best cars I ever own. Fun to drive. Great gas milealge for a 10 yr old car. MB must have known something with this one."