2000 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

It's still going strong!!

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "no regrets of this purchase"

Cons: "tempermental positioning of driver's seat."

"In 1999 I selected a 2000 C230 Kompressor off the showroom floor and it's still going strong! Opted to change from BMW to Mercedes. Yes, there's been some repairs but I'm happy overall with it's performance. My mechanic is no longer the dealership ($$$) but very reliable and reasonable charges for factory parts that are only replaced on my car. I cruise @ 80mph as often as possible and it still handles my demands. Been through a few sets of tires but expected. Only problems aesthetically is the cup holder broke, my driver-side visor has too much use and now to save money it flips towards the windshield! :) Also, finicky moments for the power positioning of the driver's seat. Otherwise, it could be worse!"

A well-optimized, balanced, and beautiful ride

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, design, interior, handling"

Cons: "Tire life"

"A pleasing and durable car. Its ride, handling, and appearance are remarkably similar to the day it left the dealership (I bought it new 18 years ago). It’s required a few repairs, but nothing very unusual or troublesome. Repair costs can be a bit pricey, but the car’s worth it. Minor maintenance and repairs can be done by the reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer. It’s a well balanced car and handles well in all weather conditions, including Colorado’s snow (with the right tires). Tire tread life is low, however, averaging 20K no matter the manufacturer (with the right warranty you can compensate). Gas mileage with this 4-cylinder is reasonable at ~26 mpg in balanced usage. I’d buy this car again, absolutely, and plan to keep this one for as long as I need a car (and maybe longer)."

Car for a lifetime.

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Solid build, sweet handling, power, very good MPG"

Cons: "Premium fuel, sketchy defroster."

"I bought my 2000 C230 Kompressor with 70K miles on it in 2005. Liked it so much I bought one for the wife, too, and we still have them both. I've driven mine 115K more and now my daugher is using it for her college car. I like all the safety built in to these. Styling is getting a bit dated, but looks young for its age. Factory paint is excellent, interiors are solid and well-designed. I have had to replace the windhield wiper motor (in Oregon? duh..) but neither car has ever left us stranded. It is beautifully built, and if you are the sort to do your own minor repairs (lightbulbs and such) you will appreciate how thoughtfully-designed the details are. My only problem is that the defoggers (on both cars) fog the windows before they de-fog them. Have to be careful to not accidentally blind yourself at a bad time. Internet research reveals the proper fix for almost any ailment. With reasonable maintenance they will last forever. After 14 years, they still have the original batteries, fr' cryin' out loud. Electronic key eventually failed, that was $250 (ouch). Premium fuel is a drag, but I have gotten as high as 34 mpg on the freeway at 70 MPH. Car was pulling strongly at 120 MPH before I chickened-out. Claimed 132 MPH is quite likely. Not to put down any other car (and I have had many), but these are GREAT cars. When the kids move out, I will probably get a used 230SLK. Two seat roadster with much of the same running gear as the C230. I would probably not recommend a 14 year old vehicle to anyone who expects a drive-it-and-forget-it car. But on the used car market, these were an exceptional value."

WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN EXPECIALLY USED!

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "GOOD GAS MILAGE"

Cons: "TO MANY ISSUES"

"GOT THE 1999 C230 WITH 79000 MILES LAST YEAR ....PLENTY OF LEAKS OVER THE YEAR. EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN. TRANSMISSION PROBLEM AT 95000 MILES $600 JUST TO LOOK AT IT AND THATS NOT AT A DEALER. ALSO LEAK AT FRONT SEAL OF MOTOR...ANOTHER $900. NOT WORTH FIXING ALTHOUGH ITS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION."

$4000 for a mini screamer?

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "great handling, nice interior, not 2 many options."

Cons: "not a car person? I'd stay away..."

"After months of research and driving 10+ e classes, I found this one owner (well, technically 2, dudes dad gave to him) Kompressor. It's the first MB where EVERYTHING works. It's got the leather insert interior which is flawless. The son updated the exhaust to a stainless magnaflow and installed 17" Carlsson wheels. He lowered it a bit too giving it a pretty burly stance. I've only owned the car for 5 days at this point, but after test driving 16 different Japanese and domestic cars, newer ones even, nothing compares to the stealthy, sleeper-like attitude of the 2.3 supercharged 4 banger. Not to mention the stack of receipts and original window sticker in a neatly wrapped folder. The way I see it, TOTAL SCORE. Cleanest w202 out there thus far..."

Very good car, except for a couple design flaws.

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Great value, drives excellent"

Cons: "Cylinder head gasket & wiring harness design flaws"

"I picked up a 1994 C280 with 105k miles. Being a couple without kids, it's an excellent car for our needs. It drives great, just what you would expect from Mercedes-Benz. Definitely a fine vehicle. I can't figure out why anybody would buy a Japanese car when you can pick a used Mercedes for a great price, and quality wise they dont even compare. There are two major design flaws after extensive research, I discovered. The first is the cylinder head gasket, from what I've read from multiple sources is that 90% of C-Classes with the M104 engine have a oil leak from the cylinder head. Mercedes has redesigned the gasket, and the replacements will not have the same problem. It is between $1500 to $2000 to replace. Luckily I was a Mercedes mechanic for a short period of time and was able to replace it myself. The head gasket itself is about $50, but is a major repair to perform. The second design flaw is the Wiring harnesses. Mercedes from about 1990-1996 were required by the German government to use bio-degradable materials for the wiring harnesses. As a result after a period of time they are very brittle and the insallation cracks and falls right off the wire. I found one on e-bay for about $270, if you were to buy a new one you would be looking at approximately $1200 just for the part. I installed mine while I had the head gasket off and it was about 5 hours labor. A bad wiring harness can cause numerous problems including gauges not functioning, loss of fuel mileage, codes to pop up on the OBD system, even unexpected acceleration, and fires! If you are planning on buying a Mercedes from the early to mid 1990's, be sure to check the state of the wiring harnesses. Other than these issues, the car is excellent, the M104 inline 6 cylinder engine is pretty much indestructible, and performs great."

great car only trade ni value should be more

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

"a 96 with only 140 thousand miles is considered low in todays cars. our car is in like new condition and trade in value is only somewhere UNDER 2 grand? not right"

2000, C-280 Excellent

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

Cons: "a little cramped"

"Just bought last month. Took on a 2000 mile vacation. 4people and gear. 27-29 MPG! A little cramped at times(I am 6'2" 215 lbs). Great Handling. Comfortable seats."

This care handles the road beauifully!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

"I have had this car for 10 years. I have kept this car in perfect condition while it is was in my care. It is great to handle. It is a great second hand car. The only problem with this car is that I need to move on and can't bring the car with me :)"

Best car ever, for my needs.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "A 20 year car, for sure. Speedy and reliable."

Cons: "Compact. Not for tall/large people."

"This is the right car for me, a singleton driving in FL. Superbly reliable, classic style, zippy in it's responsiveness in bumper to bumper traffic and a nice smooth ride for road trips. Beware, ceiling is a bit low for anyone 6'1" or above and back seat is fine, but not roomy. I have owned the car for 8 years and it has never required anything more than routine maintenance, which I urge you to always have performed at a dealership. It has proven to be a fantastic value. I purchased it certified pre-owned and never regretted it. It is a very popular car in Florida, with the old money and country club set. So it makes a nice impression and has high resale in the area."