2000 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 279 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

Car for a lifetime.

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Solid build, sweet handling, power, very good MPG"

Cons: "Premium fuel, sketchy defroster."

"I bought my 2000 C230 Kompressor with 70K miles on it in 2005. Liked it so much I bought one for the wife, too, and we still have them both. I've driven mine 115K more and now my daugher is using it for her college car. I like all the safety built in to these. Styling is getting a bit dated, but looks young for its age. Factory paint is excellent, interiors are solid and well-designed. I have had to replace the windhield wiper motor (in Oregon? duh..) but neither car has ever left us stranded. It is beautifully built, and if you are the sort to do your own minor repairs (lightbulbs and such) you will appreciate how thoughtfully-designed the details are. My only problem is that the defoggers (on both cars) fog the windows before they de-fog them. Have to be careful to not accidentally blind yourself at a bad time. Internet research reveals the proper fix for almost any ailment. With reasonable maintenance they will last forever. After 14 years, they still have the original batteries, fr' cryin' out loud. Electronic key eventually failed, that was $250 (ouch). Premium fuel is a drag, but I have gotten as high as 34 mpg on the freeway at 70 MPH. Car was pulling strongly at 120 MPH before I chickened-out. Claimed 132 MPH is quite likely. Not to put down any other car (and I have had many), but these are GREAT cars. When the kids move out, I will probably get a used 230SLK. Two seat roadster with much of the same running gear as the C230. I would probably not recommend a 14 year old vehicle to anyone who expects a drive-it-and-forget-it car. But on the used car market, these were an exceptional value."

Love My Car

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, and classy sporty style"

Cons: "No cup holders in rear"

My Benz

"I bought this car used in 2006, regularly maintain it and follow suggested repairs and maintenance and it's never stranded me or let me down. When I take it to the dealership for yearly tune-up/oil changes, etc... they give me another C230, new, as a loaner. My vehicle handles and performs better overall than the new vehicle. The center of gravity is much lower on this C230, giving me better performance in cornering and maneuvering. The brakes on the new models are way too touchy, I have power brakes but you know you are pressing on them, it doesn't jerk you but stops on a dime. Annual maintenance ranges from 600-2000 dollars high per year - depending on what is worn or needs to be replaced. The transmission is great, doesn't burn oil, gets 30mpg on highway, 25 city and I've never run out so the indicator is spot on. I can't say enough about this car - it looks great, handles like a dream, and I know what I've got. I think I'll be driving this car forever and based on it's performance so far I know that's a true statement. Bought it for 7k used, best deal ever on a car!"

My Benz

This care handles the road beauifully!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

"I have had this car for 10 years. I have kept this car in perfect condition while it is was in my care. It is great to handle. It is a great second hand car. The only problem with this car is that I need to move on and can't bring the car with me :)"

Fun and solid

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"I am a repeat MB owner. (Wish I still had my 1956 190SL!) My 2000 C230 has been everything I expected since the day I took delivery. This car is fun with all the zip one could ask for from a supercharged 4. Pure solid MB from the quirky cruise control lever that Consumer Reports will always hate, to the dependability one expects from the engineers at Daimler-Benz. Yes, the dealer maintenence is expensive but preventive maintenence will deliver reliable transportation without grief. I appreciate this vehicle and love the 24MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway. Comfort, dependability with style. Would I buy another? Well after 5 MBs over the past 50 years I would say so."

Amazing Value

By on Sunday, May 03, 2009

"C280 Sedan gets you probably the best value for your money. It's built is rock solid and feels very safe while driving. Amazing steering wheel radius; it can take a U turn where even a Honda Civic (2 Door) won't be able to! Great gas mileage; great acceleration; slip control; cornering. All in all, this is an Amazing Car for the money."