1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 278 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

You cant buy a car this god for the cost!

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "price, fuel economy, quality"

Cons: "one cup holder, back seat space"

"My father owned this C220 before I bought it from him and the only thing he had to say was, "park it in a safe place." he treated this car better than his newer ones. Let me just jump into the specs. Everything up to 125k miles was original up to Jan. 1 of 2012. The only thing to go out in the car prior to this extensive repair was the air conditioning. This is a car that if taken car of will last 20 something years if you do not get tired of it. Form experience, the car get about 25 miles to the gallon city and 28-29 freeway. This is outstanding for a vehicle of its time. Overall between all the driving that I do, it comes in around 17 MPG. One downside to this mileage is the fact that it takes supreme gas, which isn't the cheapest out there."

Great value for a lower end luxury car

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Very smooth ride, even at old age"

Cons: "More expensive to fix"

"My family bought our C230 1999 in 2002 (used) and it's been great. Now at 203,000 it's only 'broken down' twice. We take very good care of it and as a result, it takes very good care of us. I get so many compliments on how well my 200,000 mile car rides. Along with the smoothness most riders think this is a fairly new car, and are shocked when I say it's a '99. Maintenance and repairs are more expensive but it's 'luxury'. You spend a little more and in return get something that is very smooth and fun."

love my CLK Coupe 134,000 miles

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Handling. MPG."

Cons: "CD changer in trunk. No real cup holder. Rust."

"I love driving this coupe. Handles well (except in snow). 134,000 miles so it's starting to show rust in several spots. But still gets 20 mpg in town; 29 on highway Fold-down rear seats"

HANDS DOWN BEST VEHICLE ON PLANET EARTH!!!!

By on Sunday, March 21, 2010

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR FOR OVER 7 YEARS! I BOUGHT IT WITH 76000 MILES ON IT. iT NOW HAS OVER 208,000 AND DRIVES AS GOOD AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT..SOMETIMES I THINK EVEN BETTER...LIKE A FINE WINE....I AM A MERCEDES MAN FOR LIFE! if you don't own this car yo are missing out!!!!!"

Reliable Luxury

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"I've owned this car for almost 5 years and put almost 100K miles on it with no mechanical problems except for 2 minor things. These vehicles are designed and built very well. Much better than any American or Asian manufacturer. They were made to be driven very hard on the Autobahn, so puttering around at 75 MPH is nothing to them. The C230 Kompressors motor mounts are filled with silicone which may eventually leak at around 100k. If you feel any vibration this is probably the cause. It's an inexpensive fix that can be done by a DIY. I did mine. Note: Only use synthetic fluids. These are great inexpensive luxury cars that last forever."

Cannot Get Rid of it.

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"I have owned my 2000 C230 Kompressor for 3 years now and I still love to get in and drive it. I have had no major issues with the car. I bought it with 52k miles and it now has 83k miles. This is my 4th Mercedes and it is going to be with me for quite a long time. I really can't say enough good things about this car... it has a bullet proof engine and transmission combo... the acceleration is insane for a 4cyl and it is soooo comfortable to drive long distances. People cannot believe that the car is 8 years old... it is very well taken care of and the paint and interior are still flawless."

Simply the Best!!!

By on Thursday, June 26, 2008

"I bought my 1996 C280 a little over a year ago and it had been the BEST car I have ever owned and I bought it not knowing anything about them. I always owned Ford/Mercury cars. Let me tell you... The comfort, reliability, gas milage, sound system, space, ect..... Was a 10 + *****'s I had 1 major repair in the time I owned it and that was the ignition which had to be replaced and a new key made costing a whooping $800 bucks. I just sold it with 199,000 miles and it still runs & looks 10 + ******'s . I am looking foward to my next Mercedes Benz purchase!"

excellent car

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"C230, 99, 96k. A simple oil change(mobil 1 full synthetic) is the only thing it asks. Lovely car that met all of my expectations. Good to go for 300k atleast."

Awesome Car

By on Monday, April 14, 2008

"I love this car. If you maintain this car correctly, it will last you forever. It's durable, reliable and handles great. It's not bad on looks either!!! Before, you buy, remember that maintenance/repairs are expensive, even on older models!!!"

Great car, great value, great performance

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"We purchased this car with 60,000 miles and now have almost 125,000 on it. With the exception of a few minor mechanical problems, this has been one of the best cars I've ever owned. I love driving highways. I love curving backroads even more. Great handling. Great performance. And I get between 25 and 30 miles per gallon along with almost 200 horsepower. With the gearing, it performs more like the 268 HP 430 I used to have."

Great car for the $$

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"I bought my '97 C-230 used in 2000 and have had no major (non wear) issues since. After driving Caddys and Jags I can attest that while it is more expensive to maintain than a Ford, it comes nowhere close to the Jag or Caddy! Even though the C-230 doesn't deliver the same zip and style as the aforementioned vehicles, it does deliver a great deal of class and security for the money. If you have the chance for a decent price, I'd say "buy it"."

Quality and Quirks

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"My 2000 C-230 Kompressor puts a smile on my face every time I start it up. A car that does that is something special. It feels solid and safe, and it exudes maturity and respectibility. And if you need to go fast, it does so eagerly (while sipping high-test gas -- at better than 30 mpg). The one drawback is the cost of maintenance, for which I thought I was prepared, having owned several Volvos. I just brought it in to the dealership for its 50K servicing, and the bill will be $2,300 for B-service, filters, brakes, and some motor mounts that have apparently cracked with age (the car is seven years old). In addition, little things such as the cup holder, seem over-complex and a tad fragile. The controls for everything from the windows to the radio and door locks are often counter-intuitive and seem designed intentionally to remind you that you are not in some run-of-the-mill car from the States or Japan. This can be either charming or fussy, depending on your perspective. However, if you can accept the maintanence costs, the car is a delight to drive, achieving a wonderful balance between comfort and performance."

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"I purchased a 1999 C-230 in 2003. It had about 23,000 miles. This is the only car I have ever owned that has 1) gas mileage in the range of 25-30 mpg (it is a 4 cylinder engine), 2)acceleration like a V8 (Kompressor engine), and 3)built like a tank -- very safe. Repairs generally will be 2 to 3 times as expensive as for , say, a Ford, but they have been few. Oil change every 10,000 miles is nice. Would highly recommend this as long as you are prepared to pay a little more in maintenance -- but you get a great vehicle. The 4 cylinder Kompressor engine (which I believe is no longer made) is one of the great automotive engineering accomplishments."

98 C230

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I bought this vehicle used with 30K miles. I now have 230K miles and the car is running strong. Maintenance costs are higher than most vehicles, but I have certainly gotten my money's worth. Engine and transmission are still solid. I have had to replace alternator, compressor, and water pump, but it is still cheaper than buying a new vehicle every 3-4 years."

Eight Years in the Saddle

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"I have had this C230 Kompressor since new in August, 1999. It is truly an amazing car. In the city it is highly maneuverable and can make a U-turn in a single pass on a a side street. On the highway it is quiet, fast and gets about 32mpg. Around town, the mileage is half that. The maintenance cost is very high - around $350 for the A service and around $550 for the B service. I had to replace a lug bolt for one of the tires and MB charged me $7! I bought an extended warranty and I still have about a year left on it. Once it hits the out of warranty mark, I will sell it. Although it is a great car, I don't think I will ever buy another one due to the extremely high cost of ownership."

1998 C230

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"I bought my 98 C230 with over 140,000 miles as a second car. I have driven it exculsively since I've owned it. After 162,000 miles the ride is still excellent and with the exception of a vacuum hose I've had no other problems. I hope that with proper maintenance the car will last me for at least two more years."

2000 MBZ C230 Kompressor - love that turbo sound!!

By on Monday, May 11, 2015

Pros: "Fast, fun to drive, great turbo sound"

Cons: "Premium gas only but who cares!!!"

"I purchased this car from an elderly couple. The car is in excellent condition and well maintained. This car has quick acceleration and the turbo sound is music to my ear. This car is fun to drive. I've owned many BMWs in the past and this car ranks right up there with them."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet, great on long trips"

Cons: "Parts can be rare and expensive"

"This is the first Mercedes-Benz I have owned, and I can assure you, once you own one, you never want anything less! Comfortable, roomy, good MPG (I get about 30 overall), classy, and quality built. I only wish the genuine Mercedes parts were more affordable."

I love this car. High Mileage, but looks brand new

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Just beautiful"

Cons: "Expensive parts and labor"

"Expensive to fix, but this car is a beauty! Extremely safe. Has been in an auto accident, it totaled the Honda, and this car came out of it without a scratch!"

Very good driving car and powerful

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "Good highway gas mileage"

Cons: "Gas mileage not good with city driving"

"However, I had to change the head gasket that I was charged quite a bit for, and I heard that they usually go quickly in those models. Considering the low mileage, I was really surprised the gasket went bad. The gasoline hose also had to be replaced because it had dried brittle that caused cracks that resulted in leaking gas. That wasn't expensive because I came across a decent mechanic that was kind enough to be fair. Price I paid for the car wasn't worth the head gasket I had to get fixed. Cost me over $2,000."

WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN EXPECIALLY USED!

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "GOOD GAS MILAGE"

Cons: "TO MANY ISSUES"

"GOT THE 1999 C230 WITH 79000 MILES LAST YEAR ....PLENTY OF LEAKS OVER THE YEAR. EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN. TRANSMISSION PROBLEM AT 95000 MILES $600 JUST TO LOOK AT IT AND THATS NOT AT A DEALER. ALSO LEAK AT FRONT SEAL OF MOTOR...ANOTHER $900. NOT WORTH FIXING ALTHOUGH ITS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION."

$4000 for a mini screamer?

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "great handling, nice interior, not 2 many options."

Cons: "not a car person? I'd stay away..."

"After months of research and driving 10+ e classes, I found this one owner (well, technically 2, dudes dad gave to him) Kompressor. It's the first MB where EVERYTHING works. It's got the leather insert interior which is flawless. The son updated the exhaust to a stainless magnaflow and installed 17" Carlsson wheels. He lowered it a bit too giving it a pretty burly stance. I've only owned the car for 5 days at this point, but after test driving 16 different Japanese and domestic cars, newer ones even, nothing compares to the stealthy, sleeper-like attitude of the 2.3 supercharged 4 banger. Not to mention the stack of receipts and original window sticker in a neatly wrapped folder. The way I see it, TOTAL SCORE. Cleanest w202 out there thus far..."

great car only trade ni value should be more

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

"a 96 with only 140 thousand miles is considered low in todays cars. our car is in like new condition and trade in value is only somewhere UNDER 2 grand? not right"

Almost 14 Years Old and Still Going Strong.

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Timeless Mercedes at 14 looks like new."

Cons: "Cup holder. Little noisy, a little rough ride."

"Purchased new in 1998. Solid car. No major repairs. Maintenance has been very routine. It is now my son's college car."

I really enjoy this C-Class, vry cmftble

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Quality, reliability, enjoyable"

Cons: "needs more power, would like back up sensors"

"I puchased my C-class new, and have kept it up since 1997. Then it jst departed the Dbl OHC 24 valve for a Single OHC 18 valve engine. I think it was a great choice then, they since have gone back to the Dbl. I like the engine, but would like more puch and pwr from the 194HP. It is smooth and quiet. It also gets ok gas mileage. Not the best by tdays' stndards though. Plenty of room and very well appointed for it's time. The leather and real wood are of top quality. I've noticed newer S-class models w/w cheaper quality inside. I placed 17in tires/rims for sharper handling and performance. Wise choice. It is as many say quite expensive after all warrenties expire. Now I can't get much for the car so I drive it on weekends to spare mileage and repair costs. Sweet car, I defintely reccomend it!"