1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 272 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

Very good car, except for a couple design flaws.

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Great value, drives excellent"

Cons: "Cylinder head gasket & wiring harness design flaws"

"I picked up a 1994 C280 with 105k miles. Being a couple without kids, it's an excellent car for our needs. It drives great, just what you would expect from Mercedes-Benz. Definitely a fine vehicle. I can't figure out why anybody would buy a Japanese car when you can pick a used Mercedes for a great price, and quality wise they dont even compare. There are two major design flaws after extensive research, I discovered. The first is the cylinder head gasket, from what I've read from multiple sources is that 90% of C-Classes with the M104 engine have a oil leak from the cylinder head. Mercedes has redesigned the gasket, and the replacements will not have the same problem. It is between $1500 to $2000 to replace. Luckily I was a Mercedes mechanic for a short period of time and was able to replace it myself. The head gasket itself is about $50, but is a major repair to perform. The second design flaw is the Wiring harnesses. Mercedes from about 1990-1996 were required by the German government to use bio-degradable materials for the wiring harnesses. As a result after a period of time they are very brittle and the insallation cracks and falls right off the wire. I found one on e-bay for about $270, if you were to buy a new one you would be looking at approximately $1200 just for the part. I installed mine while I had the head gasket off and it was about 5 hours labor. A bad wiring harness can cause numerous problems including gauges not functioning, loss of fuel mileage, codes to pop up on the OBD system, even unexpected acceleration, and fires! If you are planning on buying a Mercedes from the early to mid 1990's, be sure to check the state of the wiring harnesses. Other than these issues, the car is excellent, the M104 inline 6 cylinder engine is pretty much indestructible, and performs great."

great car only trade ni value should be more

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

"a 96 with only 140 thousand miles is considered low in todays cars. our car is in like new condition and trade in value is only somewhere UNDER 2 grand? not right"

2000, C-280 Excellent

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

Cons: "a little cramped"

"Just bought last month. Took on a 2000 mile vacation. 4people and gear. 27-29 MPG! A little cramped at times(I am 6'2" 215 lbs). Great Handling. Comfortable seats."

This care handles the road beauifully!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

"I have had this car for 10 years. I have kept this car in perfect condition while it is was in my care. It is great to handle. It is a great second hand car. The only problem with this car is that I need to move on and can't bring the car with me :)"

Best car ever, for my needs.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "A 20 year car, for sure. Speedy and reliable."

Cons: "Compact. Not for tall/large people."

"This is the right car for me, a singleton driving in FL. Superbly reliable, classic style, zippy in it's responsiveness in bumper to bumper traffic and a nice smooth ride for road trips. Beware, ceiling is a bit low for anyone 6'1" or above and back seat is fine, but not roomy. I have owned the car for 8 years and it has never required anything more than routine maintenance, which I urge you to always have performed at a dealership. It has proven to be a fantastic value. I purchased it certified pre-owned and never regretted it. It is a very popular car in Florida, with the old money and country club set. So it makes a nice impression and has high resale in the area."

Solid car with no major ploblems!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "MPG 19-28 in that range sometime better,rear drive"

Cons: "no tall cups or large diameter in holders no cd"

"Driven across country like a champ"

Love the reliability, drive, and overall car.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Well built car and excellent drive."

"I bought this car brand new and have had it for 12 years. It is in excellent condition, looks great, and I would still drive it anywhere out of town. The drive is good and it picks up speed quickly. Not very good in the snow. I love this car!"

Best car I've ever owned

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable can cruise all day at speed."

Cons: "Needs premium fuel"

"I have owned 5 MB's and this is by far the best of the bunch. It trained two teenaged drivers, did daily "Mom" duty for over 15 years, and it gets nearly 30 mpg. Who could ask for more."

This was my first Mercedes Benz and I love it.

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Excellent to drive."

Cons: "No cup holders or items that are in the newer cars"

"It is a dependable car and roomy. I have thoroughly enjoyed it."

C43 AMG

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Fast, Incredible Quality, Timeless look"

Cons: "I only have one C43 - two would be better!"

AMG!

"Bought this 1999 C43 with 75000 miles on it for $10,000 in 2009. Wow, what a car, here we are in 2012 and I can still smoke just about any car on the road if I want some fun, handles better than most sedans, but the age is showing in that department. Talk about a rock solid engine, it just growls and goes! Mileage around town is 19 mpg, 23 to 25 on the highway depending on how much I push it. Amazing features for a car this old, it feels better than just about every new or newer car I've driven. This car sold me on Mercedes build and quality - they've got a lifetime customer - I've had Audi, BMW, SAAB, VW and domestics - won't ever buy anything but MB again. Next one up? C63 AMG - woo hoo!. Great cars!"

AMG!

230 c m.b. kompress is the best used car even

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "great price. love drivein it hate to get out of th"

Cons: "very lite; climbing up the hill when it snows"

"bought this car 8 months ago and only problems with it was the air cond. unit and the oxg.sensor. other then that the guy i bought it from had it sittin in the grass got rust and mold on the rim and some rust on the bottom of the car. going to fix that this week other then that it drive great like a new car. only complain is when it snow had a hard time gettin up the hill. car is very lite. love this car."

You cant buy a car this god for the cost!

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "price, fuel economy, quality"

Cons: "one cup holder, back seat space"

"My father owned this C220 before I bought it from him and the only thing he had to say was, "park it in a safe place." he treated this car better than his newer ones. Let me just jump into the specs. Everything up to 125k miles was original up to Jan. 1 of 2012. The only thing to go out in the car prior to this extensive repair was the air conditioning. This is a car that if taken car of will last 20 something years if you do not get tired of it. Form experience, the car get about 25 miles to the gallon city and 28-29 freeway. This is outstanding for a vehicle of its time. Overall between all the driving that I do, it comes in around 17 MPG. One downside to this mileage is the fact that it takes supreme gas, which isn't the cheapest out there."

Strong body strong engine

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "still sturdy"

Cons: "MB no longer makes this body type."

"I bought the 2000 C sedan in 2003 when it had 40k miles. I loved the sturdy drive and sense of 'weight' to the car. A few years later, I gave the car to my step-son and bought a 2003 C sedan - I have had phantom electrical problems since day one w/ the newer car. I doesn't have the style or 'weight' of the 2000. I still love to drive my son's 2000 MB and could kick myself for buying the newer C series."

Disappointed

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Beyond reasonable repair bills"

"Had always wanted a Mercedes due to legacy of long life and dependability, purchased used and then began the quest of beyond reasonable repair costs. The comfort and look of this vehicle is superb, fun to drive and reasonably dependable. For the last 6 years this vehicle has cost in excess of over $1,000 EA YEAR in repair costs... ridiculous, I'll take my JEEP anyday that has same mileage and only ONE major repair of $500. I love driving that Mercedes, not a car meant for people who have limited income, leave this car alone if you can't invest in regular expensive repair bills on this one."

I Love My 1995 Mercedes Benz C220

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, fun to drive, stylish."

Cons: "Expensive repairs."

At 16 years old, still looks great.

"Bought this car a year ago, for my wife. Most people don't believe it's a 1995 model. Great car to drive. Luxury appointments. Highly recommend, if you don't mind more than average repair costs."

At 16 years old, still looks great.

Great car

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, price"

Cons: "One wiper"

"My first Mercedes, and what a great experience. From purchase in North Carolina to service in Ohio, great service at three different dealerships. As a brand I love it. As a car it has never let me down."

Almost 14 Years Old and Still Going Strong.

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Timeless Mercedes at 14 looks like new."

Cons: "Cup holder. Little noisy, a little rough ride."

"Purchased new in 1998. Solid car. No major repairs. Maintenance has been very routine. It is now my son's college car."

Tight reliable vehicle. Highly recommended.

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Reason: Upgraded

Pros: "Comfort, reliability, gas mileage."

Cons: "Not enough power. Expensive to repair."

"First Mercedes I have owned. Really enjoyed it. More comfortable than BMW. The main drawback is that local dealerships are not very resourceful in helping to maintain 12 year old Mercedes. Buy from reputable dealerships only!"

I really enjoy this C-Class, vry cmftble

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Quality, reliability, enjoyable"

Cons: "needs more power, would like back up sensors"

"I puchased my C-class new, and have kept it up since 1997. Then it jst departed the Dbl OHC 24 valve for a Single OHC 18 valve engine. I think it was a great choice then, they since have gone back to the Dbl. I like the engine, but would like more puch and pwr from the 194HP. It is smooth and quiet. It also gets ok gas mileage. Not the best by tdays' stndards though. Plenty of room and very well appointed for it's time. The leather and real wood are of top quality. I've noticed newer S-class models w/w cheaper quality inside. I placed 17in tires/rims for sharper handling and performance. Wise choice. It is as many say quite expensive after all warrenties expire. Now I can't get much for the car so I drive it on weekends to spare mileage and repair costs. Sweet car, I defintely reccomend it!"

Only car that lasted 13 years. Just needing an SUV

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Turns on a dime, great gas mileage, minimal repair"

Cons: "All repairs are expensive"

"Little cosmetic things are finally breaking and are too costly to replace. Can't believe the reliability. Incredibly impressed. Wish I could afford to buy another Mercedes."

Very reliable car. Loved owning it!

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride"

Cons: "Expensive maintanance, premium gas"

"I bought my 1995 C280 in 2005, when it was already 10 years old with 98,000 miles. I had just moved to Florida from NYC, where I didn't need a car, and decided to buy a used car because I wasn't sure if I would stay in Florida. I did, and what a great friend this car has been. The car now has 148,000 miles on it and, and with regular oil changes and tune ups, it's performed beyond my expectations. The only thing that has gone is the suction-powered locks. I now have to open the car by unlocking the trunk. Since I live in a safe area, I just leave it unlocked these days. Friends were surprised when I recently mentioned I wanted to buy a new car and they were even more surprised to find out I'd been driving a 1995 model. They thought it was a much more recent model. I always thought MBs needed premium gas but have found out some owners use regular gas. I used premium gas for a smoother ride but I did try the medium grade gas once but didn't care for the "pull" the car had, compared to how it smooth it drove with premium gas. Aside from paying higher gas prices, maintenance and minor repairs can be expensive simply because it's a MB. More than American or Japanese models, from what I understand. All in all, I'd buy this car all over again. I hope the new owner will enjoy it as much as I have."

Great value for a lower end luxury car

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Very smooth ride, even at old age"

Cons: "More expensive to fix"

"My family bought our C230 1999 in 2002 (used) and it's been great. Now at 203,000 it's only 'broken down' twice. We take very good care of it and as a result, it takes very good care of us. I get so many compliments on how well my 200,000 mile car rides. Along with the smoothness most riders think this is a fairly new car, and are shocked when I say it's a '99. Maintenance and repairs are more expensive but it's 'luxury'. You spend a little more and in return get something that is very smooth and fun."

Great car for small family and single

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Good price for used car, reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance, small for family."

"Real German performance and quality. Driving this car is pleasure. Reliable and comfortable. Maintenance is a little bit expensive, but as well as it luxury car it's understandable. This car is very comfortable for single student or small family with 1 kid, but as soon as your family growing up, you fill that you need bigger car"

Great Ride

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

"enjoy it."

mint condition

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

"mint condition everything new second owner"