1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 270 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

by far the best car i have ever owned,98 c230

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "great cheap luxury reliable mercedes benz"

Cons: "it gets some surface rust on body nothing major"

"i have owned this mercedes c230 for 5 1/2 years and never had one single major issue with it only little wear for the age and very very very easy to work on,drives excellent and handles excellent,i have never had this car at any shop only for alignments and tire balance.excellent gas mileage and looks great,i get lots of complements about it,the more custom work i do to it the better it looks"

Excellent car value ( 20 years )

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "C220 1995 a gem undiscovered"

Cons: "non working a/c, radio, doors"

"Car probably one of the better if not best car value MBZ made that year .Served well but like all cars that moved through time -it breaks down little by little -not major but maintenance well done and followed help this car go and drive well after almost 20 years. The only drawback from keeping this car this long is the gas -super unleaded, when parts and repair go -they go for it --cost and labor ( glad I had good honest mechanics that serviced this car all these years) , Now it is time to part. I have to retire you -Mercedes 2 -Not that I don't want to keep you further( even though I myself have retired) But cant afford to maintain and have you running on Super Unleaded anymore ( never fed you anything but except one time due to my absence mindedness ) Hate to give you up really -wish I have the finances to make you new once more(in and out) -you won't need much but imported items are expensive for us. I'll hold on till I need to let you go, I think Bonding is hard"

Mercedes in very good condition. Always in garage

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Have to see car to appreciate. Its beautiful."

Cons: "2 door dings."

"I purchased the Mercedes new in 1998. We installed new inside roof and side liners. The car shows very well. Its glossy black. Fun to drive. We really hate to part with it. Just bought a new 2014 Mercedes."

My Mercedes was more reliable then my honda

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "I already tried to sell it to my friends!"

Cons: "German cars scare peple"

white on black, you cant go wrong.

"Car has a rear tire rim cover part scrape which i took care of with auto zone supply, little highway kinks from road pebbles."

white on black, you cant go wrong.

LOVED THIS CAR SHOULD NEVER SOLD IT!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

"ONE OF THE BEST CARS I'VE EVER OWNED, JUST A BIT PRICEY TO HAVE FIXED WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG"

Saved my life!

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

"While driving down the interstate at 70mph (OK maybe a little faster) I could not avoid a 6x6 piece of lumber and struck it with my right front tire. I held the wheel waiting for something to go bad, nothing happen! I continued for another 35 miles before arriving to work. In the parking lot, the lower control arm gave out. If this had happened at 70mph on the highway, it would have been ugly. Thank you MB. Great on gas, fun to drive....I am fixing it and getting back on the road."

Excellant for use and reliable good on Gas

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "grat price"

"This car iw with me for the total years and never have any major problem Oil change regulaly exceot need front oil seak replacement"

First Car and Loving It!!!!

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Great comfort, reliable, lots of space, versatile"

Cons: "Premium unleaded only, not good on gas."

"I got this car as a birthday present and as a graduation gift at the same time when I graduated high school. Honestly iy is a really nice car and i enjoy driving it. My only problem was that the suspension hadn't been changed for 16 years and was still dealer stock. I love this car and i plan to keep this car all through out college and later customize it. I have taken a full load of people through mountain roads just for a fun drive, to the beach, through traffic, and almost anywhere i can imagine. I love it, the comfort the low end torque, and the stiff feeling of the steering wheel. Truly a sweet first car. Trunk space is amazing and it comes with a full sized spare tire. As long as you drive it like a Benz, it will be reliable and make you feel like you're driving a high end car, for the price of a basic clunker. Affordable luxury. I plan to buy the C43 AMG in the future if i can find one."

one of the most reliable cars

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "excellent car to drive around"

Cons: "zero!"

"Excellent gas mileage: great economy car, comfort, secure and the real thing, no plastic car!"

Excellent entry-level M-B

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Reason: 2007 ECONOMY CRASHED

Pros: "Handling, safety, big-car luxury in a small pkg"

Cons: "Maintenance costs"

"For the brief time I owned this car, it was fantastic. Plenty of power, good retained build quality for its age and a lot of fun to drive. Maintenance costs and the economy forced me to return it. If I had bought the car in cash, I probably would still have it. The best feature about this car was its safety. It took a rear-end collision from a '93 Bonneville and came away with a scratched bumper. Their insurance paid $1100.00 to repaint, but that's all it needed. Solid cars, built like a bank vault."

Nice car for small family

By on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

"Nice car for small family or for single person."

Best car I ever owned

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Excelleant safety, ride, comfort,"

Cons: "only 1 cup holder, no GPS, outdated car phone"

"I have owned this car for 4 years. Good ride, comfortable, quite, full featured, safe, good style, repairs infrequent and inexpensive."

I love this car

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "no cup holders..."

"Great engine- never lose on highway. Comfortable huge seats-- driving is an enjoyment! Bose stereo--nothing comparable, great music! Cruise--necessary! Overall stability--as reliable as a german car!"

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet, great on long trips"

Cons: "Parts can be rare and expensive"

"This is the first Mercedes-Benz I have owned, and I can assure you, once you own one, you never want anything less! Comfortable, roomy, good MPG (I get about 30 overall), classy, and quality built. I only wish the genuine Mercedes parts were more affordable."

My Dream Come True

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pros: "Perfect Handling, Everlasting Model, fully loaded"

Cons: "nothing that i can think of"

"I have 1999 c280 sport package, just one more step to c43 amg, I've had this car for almost two years, my dream car since i was teenager, i bought this car when it was still 99000 miles, nothing really cost me except for oil change, and tires, since i installed 18 inch AMG, I really love this car, i will keep this car and will never sale it, fully loaded with optional, powerful if we compare with BMW, Audi,Saab, I think Benz is the best car for German Technology, can't ask for more from this car... Love it"

Love My Car

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, and classy sporty style"

Cons: "No cup holders in rear"

My Benz

"I bought this car used in 2006, regularly maintain it and follow suggested repairs and maintenance and it's never stranded me or let me down. When I take it to the dealership for yearly tune-up/oil changes, etc... they give me another C230, new, as a loaner. My vehicle handles and performs better overall than the new vehicle. The center of gravity is much lower on this C230, giving me better performance in cornering and maneuvering. The brakes on the new models are way too touchy, I have power brakes but you know you are pressing on them, it doesn't jerk you but stops on a dime. Annual maintenance ranges from 600-2000 dollars high per year - depending on what is worn or needs to be replaced. The transmission is great, doesn't burn oil, gets 30mpg on highway, 25 city and I've never run out so the indicator is spot on. I can't say enough about this car - it looks great, handles like a dream, and I know what I've got. I think I'll be driving this car forever and based on it's performance so far I know that's a true statement. Bought it for 7k used, best deal ever on a car!"

My Benz

I love this car. High Mileage, but looks brand new

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Just beautiful"

Cons: "Expensive parts and labor"

"Expensive to fix, but this car is a beauty! Extremely safe. Has been in an auto accident, it totaled the Honda, and this car came out of it without a scratch!"

Very good driving car and powerful

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "Good highway gas mileage"

Cons: "Gas mileage not good with city driving"

"However, I had to change the head gasket that I was charged quite a bit for, and I heard that they usually go quickly in those models. Considering the low mileage, I was really surprised the gasket went bad. The gasoline hose also had to be replaced because it had dried brittle that caused cracks that resulted in leaking gas. That wasn't expensive because I came across a decent mechanic that was kind enough to be fair. Price I paid for the car wasn't worth the head gasket I had to get fixed. Cost me over $2,000."

It's still going strong!!

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "no regrets of this purchase"

Cons: "tempermental positioning of driver's seat."

"In 1999 I selected a 2000 C230 Kompressor off the showroom floor and it's still going strong! Opted to change from BMW to Mercedes. Yes, there's been some repairs but I'm happy overall with it's performance. My mechanic is no longer the dealership ($$$) but very reliable and reasonable charges for factory parts that are only replaced on my car. I cruise @ 80mph as often as possible and it still handles my demands. Been through a few sets of tires but expected. Only problems aesthetically is the cup holder broke, my driver-side visor has too much use and now to save money it flips towards the windshield! :) Also, finicky moments for the power positioning of the driver's seat. Otherwise, it could be worse!"

A well-optimized, balanced, and beautiful ride

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, design, interior, handling"

Cons: "Tire life"

"A pleasing and durable car. Its ride, handling, and appearance are remarkably similar to the day it left the dealership (I bought it new 18 years ago). It’s required a few repairs, but nothing very unusual or troublesome. Repair costs can be a bit pricey, but the car’s worth it. Minor maintenance and repairs can be done by the reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer. It’s a well balanced car and handles well in all weather conditions, including Colorado’s snow (with the right tires). Tire tread life is low, however, averaging 20K no matter the manufacturer (with the right warranty you can compensate). Gas mileage with this 4-cylinder is reasonable at ~26 mpg in balanced usage. I’d buy this car again, absolutely, and plan to keep this one for as long as I need a car (and maybe longer)."

Car for a lifetime.

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Solid build, sweet handling, power, very good MPG"

Cons: "Premium fuel, sketchy defroster."

"I bought my 2000 C230 Kompressor with 70K miles on it in 2005. Liked it so much I bought one for the wife, too, and we still have them both. I've driven mine 115K more and now my daugher is using it for her college car. I like all the safety built in to these. Styling is getting a bit dated, but looks young for its age. Factory paint is excellent, interiors are solid and well-designed. I have had to replace the windhield wiper motor (in Oregon? duh..) but neither car has ever left us stranded. It is beautifully built, and if you are the sort to do your own minor repairs (lightbulbs and such) you will appreciate how thoughtfully-designed the details are. My only problem is that the defoggers (on both cars) fog the windows before they de-fog them. Have to be careful to not accidentally blind yourself at a bad time. Internet research reveals the proper fix for almost any ailment. With reasonable maintenance they will last forever. After 14 years, they still have the original batteries, fr' cryin' out loud. Electronic key eventually failed, that was $250 (ouch). Premium fuel is a drag, but I have gotten as high as 34 mpg on the freeway at 70 MPH. Car was pulling strongly at 120 MPH before I chickened-out. Claimed 132 MPH is quite likely. Not to put down any other car (and I have had many), but these are GREAT cars. When the kids move out, I will probably get a used 230SLK. Two seat roadster with much of the same running gear as the C230. I would probably not recommend a 14 year old vehicle to anyone who expects a drive-it-and-forget-it car. But on the used car market, these were an exceptional value."

WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN EXPECIALLY USED!

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "GOOD GAS MILAGE"

Cons: "TO MANY ISSUES"

"GOT THE 1999 C230 WITH 79000 MILES LAST YEAR ....PLENTY OF LEAKS OVER THE YEAR. EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN. TRANSMISSION PROBLEM AT 95000 MILES $600 JUST TO LOOK AT IT AND THATS NOT AT A DEALER. ALSO LEAK AT FRONT SEAL OF MOTOR...ANOTHER $900. NOT WORTH FIXING ALTHOUGH ITS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION."

$4000 for a mini screamer?

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "great handling, nice interior, not 2 many options."

Cons: "not a car person? I'd stay away..."

"After months of research and driving 10+ e classes, I found this one owner (well, technically 2, dudes dad gave to him) Kompressor. It's the first MB where EVERYTHING works. It's got the leather insert interior which is flawless. The son updated the exhaust to a stainless magnaflow and installed 17" Carlsson wheels. He lowered it a bit too giving it a pretty burly stance. I've only owned the car for 5 days at this point, but after test driving 16 different Japanese and domestic cars, newer ones even, nothing compares to the stealthy, sleeper-like attitude of the 2.3 supercharged 4 banger. Not to mention the stack of receipts and original window sticker in a neatly wrapped folder. The way I see it, TOTAL SCORE. Cleanest w202 out there thus far..."

Very good car, except for a couple design flaws.

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Great value, drives excellent"

Cons: "Cylinder head gasket & wiring harness design flaws"

"I picked up a 1994 C280 with 105k miles. Being a couple without kids, it's an excellent car for our needs. It drives great, just what you would expect from Mercedes-Benz. Definitely a fine vehicle. I can't figure out why anybody would buy a Japanese car when you can pick a used Mercedes for a great price, and quality wise they dont even compare. There are two major design flaws after extensive research, I discovered. The first is the cylinder head gasket, from what I've read from multiple sources is that 90% of C-Classes with the M104 engine have a oil leak from the cylinder head. Mercedes has redesigned the gasket, and the replacements will not have the same problem. It is between $1500 to $2000 to replace. Luckily I was a Mercedes mechanic for a short period of time and was able to replace it myself. The head gasket itself is about $50, but is a major repair to perform. The second design flaw is the Wiring harnesses. Mercedes from about 1990-1996 were required by the German government to use bio-degradable materials for the wiring harnesses. As a result after a period of time they are very brittle and the insallation cracks and falls right off the wire. I found one on e-bay for about $270, if you were to buy a new one you would be looking at approximately $1200 just for the part. I installed mine while I had the head gasket off and it was about 5 hours labor. A bad wiring harness can cause numerous problems including gauges not functioning, loss of fuel mileage, codes to pop up on the OBD system, even unexpected acceleration, and fires! If you are planning on buying a Mercedes from the early to mid 1990's, be sure to check the state of the wiring harnesses. Other than these issues, the car is excellent, the M104 inline 6 cylinder engine is pretty much indestructible, and performs great."

great car only trade ni value should be more

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

"a 96 with only 140 thousand miles is considered low in todays cars. our car is in like new condition and trade in value is only somewhere UNDER 2 grand? not right"

See if you qualify for