1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 279 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

Car for a lifetime.

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Solid build, sweet handling, power, very good MPG"

Cons: "Premium fuel, sketchy defroster."

"I bought my 2000 C230 Kompressor with 70K miles on it in 2005. Liked it so much I bought one for the wife, too, and we still have them both. I've driven mine 115K more and now my daugher is using it for her college car. I like all the safety built in to these. Styling is getting a bit dated, but looks young for its age. Factory paint is excellent, interiors are solid and well-designed. I have had to replace the windhield wiper motor (in Oregon? duh..) but neither car has ever left us stranded. It is beautifully built, and if you are the sort to do your own minor repairs (lightbulbs and such) you will appreciate how thoughtfully-designed the details are. My only problem is that the defoggers (on both cars) fog the windows before they de-fog them. Have to be careful to not accidentally blind yourself at a bad time. Internet research reveals the proper fix for almost any ailment. With reasonable maintenance they will last forever. After 14 years, they still have the original batteries, fr' cryin' out loud. Electronic key eventually failed, that was $250 (ouch). Premium fuel is a drag, but I have gotten as high as 34 mpg on the freeway at 70 MPH. Car was pulling strongly at 120 MPH before I chickened-out. Claimed 132 MPH is quite likely. Not to put down any other car (and I have had many), but these are GREAT cars. When the kids move out, I will probably get a used 230SLK. Two seat roadster with much of the same running gear as the C230. I would probably not recommend a 14 year old vehicle to anyone who expects a drive-it-and-forget-it car. But on the used car market, these were an exceptional value."

Love My Car

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, and classy sporty style"

Cons: "No cup holders in rear"

My Benz

"I bought this car used in 2006, regularly maintain it and follow suggested repairs and maintenance and it's never stranded me or let me down. When I take it to the dealership for yearly tune-up/oil changes, etc... they give me another C230, new, as a loaner. My vehicle handles and performs better overall than the new vehicle. The center of gravity is much lower on this C230, giving me better performance in cornering and maneuvering. The brakes on the new models are way too touchy, I have power brakes but you know you are pressing on them, it doesn't jerk you but stops on a dime. Annual maintenance ranges from 600-2000 dollars high per year - depending on what is worn or needs to be replaced. The transmission is great, doesn't burn oil, gets 30mpg on highway, 25 city and I've never run out so the indicator is spot on. I can't say enough about this car - it looks great, handles like a dream, and I know what I've got. I think I'll be driving this car forever and based on it's performance so far I know that's a true statement. Bought it for 7k used, best deal ever on a car!"

My Benz

Fun and solid

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"I am a repeat MB owner. (Wish I still had my 1956 190SL!) My 2000 C230 has been everything I expected since the day I took delivery. This car is fun with all the zip one could ask for from a supercharged 4. Pure solid MB from the quirky cruise control lever that Consumer Reports will always hate, to the dependability one expects from the engineers at Daimler-Benz. Yes, the dealer maintenence is expensive but preventive maintenence will deliver reliable transportation without grief. I appreciate this vehicle and love the 24MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway. Comfort, dependability with style. Would I buy another? Well after 5 MBs over the past 50 years I would say so."

A very Hardworking and reliable Car!

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Safe, Drive Smoothly"

Cons: "Old fashion interior design"

"Still runs like a Champ! With little maintenance and repair!"

This care handles the road beauifully!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

"I have had this car for 10 years. I have kept this car in perfect condition while it is was in my care. It is great to handle. It is a great second hand car. The only problem with this car is that I need to move on and can't bring the car with me :)"

Amazing Value

By on Sunday, May 03, 2009

"C280 Sedan gets you probably the best value for your money. It's built is rock solid and feels very safe while driving. Amazing steering wheel radius; it can take a U turn where even a Honda Civic (2 Door) won't be able to! Great gas mileage; great acceleration; slip control; cornering. All in all, this is an Amazing Car for the money."

Great Car except in snow

By on Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Good on gas, fun to drive, safe. Great in rain. Not recommended in areas where it snows. It does not perform in any snow. Have had problems in as little as one inch of icy snow. Snow tires and low gear help, but could get stuck in a substantial storm."

Lowest Maintenance Vehicle

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Of all of the cars that I have owned, this car has been the most reliable, trouble free and least expensive to operate. Currently it has 127,000 miles. The only problem that I currently have is that the odometer digits are burned out. I am the original owner."

Bullet Proof engine MB

By on Sunday, March 16, 2008

"1998 and 1999 MB C230 are more reliable than any other Mercedes Benz vehicles made at time. Check out the recent consumer report (April 2008) and you will find them both recommended as good used vehicles to buy. I have a 1999 C230 sport with 140K on it. The engine still runs strong. I would recommands two sets of tires/rims(summer all season and Winter snow tires) for this rear wheel drive car. I also suggest K&N air filter. So you can reuse it to save money. Change to Bilstein shocks when you car hits 100K. I only use synthetic oil for my engine but stretch the oil change to every 6000 miles instead. I enjoy my MB very much. I hope you, too."

Best Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 05, 2007

"This car has so much pick up. Quick to use around town and on the hwy. It handles and rides like a dream. The only bummer is you have to use premium gas, otherwise this vehicle is the best! The gas mileage is ok, not bad at all."

My Dream Come True

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pros: "Perfect Handling, Everlasting Model, fully loaded"

Cons: "nothing that i can think of"

"I have 1999 c280 sport package, just one more step to c43 amg, I've had this car for almost two years, my dream car since i was teenager, i bought this car when it was still 99000 miles, nothing really cost me except for oil change, and tires, since i installed 18 inch AMG, I really love this car, i will keep this car and will never sale it, fully loaded with optional, powerful if we compare with BMW, Audi,Saab, I think Benz is the best car for German Technology, can't ask for more from this car... Love it"

C43 AMG

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Fast, Incredible Quality, Timeless look"

Cons: "I only have one C43 - two would be better!"

AMG!

"Bought this 1999 C43 with 75000 miles on it for $10,000 in 2009. Wow, what a car, here we are in 2012 and I can still smoke just about any car on the road if I want some fun, handles better than most sedans, but the age is showing in that department. Talk about a rock solid engine, it just growls and goes! Mileage around town is 19 mpg, 23 to 25 on the highway depending on how much I push it. Amazing features for a car this old, it feels better than just about every new or newer car I've driven. This car sold me on Mercedes build and quality - they've got a lifetime customer - I've had Audi, BMW, SAAB, VW and domestics - won't ever buy anything but MB again. Next one up? C63 AMG - woo hoo!. Great cars!"

AMG!

By on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"good car. easy to work on and solid all around"

By on Sunday, June 01, 2008

"Great car overall. It has good gas mileage and is very reliable. Handles great and performs well. Had very few minor problems. Other than that it still runs the same as the day I bought it. I would recommend this car to anyone."

Great car overall!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"I bought my 2000 C230 used, with low miles (46K) about 2 years ago. I have had no real complaints. Yes, the maintenance is pricey, but worth it. I would rather take care of this car; it has certainly taken care of me! The only drawback that I have seen is during the winter. I live in Chicago, and the car, even in winter mode can be a challenge to maneuver in snow. But, if you are a competent driver, maintain your tires, and utilize the winter mode, you will definitely get where you are going. This is by far the best car I have owned, and I've had everything from a Jeep, to a VW, and even a Volvo. Especially for those who live in a city where traffic jams are the norm, this car is comfortable, safe, and definitely responsive! It's much easier to navigate downtown traffic with my car, and parking is fairly simple as it's not a huge vehicle. This one is definitely worth looking into!"

By on Saturday, December 15, 2007

"I bought this car about eight months ago and loved it since day one. This car got great gas millage, drove amazingly, and had pretty good power for a 4 cyl. I recently lost it though when a truck blew a red light at hit me going highway speeds. The front was crushed verry badly but i walked away with only a brused shin and hurt hand. Besides the fact that this is a nice looking and driving car, it handled a crash amazingly well and i think if i were in any other car i wouldnt have been as lucky. Great car though expecially for the money and i would recomend it to anyone expecially younger drivers who want a nice car but still would like safety involved as well."

Great Car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"The 1997 C230 has been a great car. I love the way it looks, drives and handles. The c230 has a bit less get up and go than the c280 (6 cyl) or the c230 Kompressor (4 cyl w/turbo). However, it still has pleanty of power around town or to pass on the freeway and I get 20- 30 mpg with this 4 cyl. The longer I drive it the more aware I become of the quality and comfort this car offers. Great trunk space too. Also, friends often comment on the comfort of the ride and the ease to enter and exit the vehicle as a rear passenger. It would be five stars for value except for the high cost of dealer maintenance. Based on my experience, only the pro's at MB seem to know how to properly work on these cars."

Excellent entry-level M-B

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Reason: 2007 ECONOMY CRASHED

Pros: "Handling, safety, big-car luxury in a small pkg"

Cons: "Maintenance costs"

"For the brief time I owned this car, it was fantastic. Plenty of power, good retained build quality for its age and a lot of fun to drive. Maintenance costs and the economy forced me to return it. If I had bought the car in cash, I probably would still have it. The best feature about this car was its safety. It took a rear-end collision from a '93 Bonneville and came away with a scratched bumper. Their insurance paid $1100.00 to repaint, but that's all it needed. Solid cars, built like a bank vault."

A well-optimized, balanced, and beautiful ride

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, design, interior, handling"

Cons: "Tire life"

"A pleasing and durable car. Its ride, handling, and appearance are remarkably similar to the day it left the dealership (I bought it new 18 years ago). It’s required a few repairs, but nothing very unusual or troublesome. Repair costs can be a bit pricey, but the car’s worth it. Minor maintenance and repairs can be done by the reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer. It’s a well balanced car and handles well in all weather conditions, including Colorado’s snow (with the right tires). Tire tread life is low, however, averaging 20K no matter the manufacturer (with the right warranty you can compensate). Gas mileage with this 4-cylinder is reasonable at ~26 mpg in balanced usage. I’d buy this car again, absolutely, and plan to keep this one for as long as I need a car (and maybe longer)."

Best car ever, for my needs.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "A 20 year car, for sure. Speedy and reliable."

Cons: "Compact. Not for tall/large people."

"This is the right car for me, a singleton driving in FL. Superbly reliable, classic style, zippy in it's responsiveness in bumper to bumper traffic and a nice smooth ride for road trips. Beware, ceiling is a bit low for anyone 6'1" or above and back seat is fine, but not roomy. I have owned the car for 8 years and it has never required anything more than routine maintenance, which I urge you to always have performed at a dealership. It has proven to be a fantastic value. I purchased it certified pre-owned and never regretted it. It is a very popular car in Florida, with the old money and country club set. So it makes a nice impression and has high resale in the area."

Love the reliability, drive, and overall car.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Well built car and excellent drive."

"I bought this car brand new and have had it for 12 years. It is in excellent condition, looks great, and I would still drive it anywhere out of town. The drive is good and it picks up speed quickly. Not very good in the snow. I love this car!"

You cant buy a car this god for the cost!

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "price, fuel economy, quality"

Cons: "one cup holder, back seat space"

"My father owned this C220 before I bought it from him and the only thing he had to say was, "park it in a safe place." he treated this car better than his newer ones. Let me just jump into the specs. Everything up to 125k miles was original up to Jan. 1 of 2012. The only thing to go out in the car prior to this extensive repair was the air conditioning. This is a car that if taken car of will last 20 something years if you do not get tired of it. Form experience, the car get about 25 miles to the gallon city and 28-29 freeway. This is outstanding for a vehicle of its time. Overall between all the driving that I do, it comes in around 17 MPG. One downside to this mileage is the fact that it takes supreme gas, which isn't the cheapest out there."

Great value for a lower end luxury car

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Very smooth ride, even at old age"

Cons: "More expensive to fix"

"My family bought our C230 1999 in 2002 (used) and it's been great. Now at 203,000 it's only 'broken down' twice. We take very good care of it and as a result, it takes very good care of us. I get so many compliments on how well my 200,000 mile car rides. Along with the smoothness most riders think this is a fairly new car, and are shocked when I say it's a '99. Maintenance and repairs are more expensive but it's 'luxury'. You spend a little more and in return get something that is very smooth and fun."

love my CLK Coupe 134,000 miles

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "Handling. MPG."

Cons: "CD changer in trunk. No real cup holder. Rust."

"I love driving this coupe. Handles well (except in snow). 134,000 miles so it's starting to show rust in several spots. But still gets 20 mpg in town; 29 on highway Fold-down rear seats"

HANDS DOWN BEST VEHICLE ON PLANET EARTH!!!!

By on Sunday, March 21, 2010

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR FOR OVER 7 YEARS! I BOUGHT IT WITH 76000 MILES ON IT. iT NOW HAS OVER 208,000 AND DRIVES AS GOOD AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT..SOMETIMES I THINK EVEN BETTER...LIKE A FINE WINE....I AM A MERCEDES MAN FOR LIFE! if you don't own this car yo are missing out!!!!!"