2000 Mazda Miata MX-5

9.5

Based on 268 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

9.7/10

Fun to drive (5 speed), reliable, good product for

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Good value for sports car-fun to drive"

Cons: "Hard to enter/exit"

"I have enjoyed this vehicle for almost 5 years and use as my daily transportation . The Miata handles great and is economical to operate. Have 165, 000 miles on vehicle and purchased w/ approximately 43,000 in Sept of 07. Only one problem w/car and dealership repaired; we're zoom-zoom again... Keeping new tires or shaving them after approx 25,000 miles helps the ride. The cornering, acceleration, traffic maneuvering and parking abilities are great. I am only considering selling because my wife will not drive a manuel and seats are not comfortable to her. I am 64 and entrance and exiting is a problem for some. You, as the primary driver, must remember this is a "2002 sports car" and the 2011's (I test drove) provide a better ride. I really enjoy the easily raised and lowered soft top. I added a luggage rack for our box fan and other needs. The levers for the gas cap and trunk openers are inconveniently placed. I've almost decided to keep it because: "it's so much fun to drive" ...."

Most fun car with a great overall value

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Excellent handling, top down driving, value"

Cons: "only 7500 10th AE were made heh"

"This is the best car I have ever owned. It is super fun to drive around and for the price it easily is the best value roadster and sports car money can buy. Plus these seem to be very reliable and they hold their value very well over time. As it is the 10th AE special edition, the owners tend to look after it with a lot of care and therefore if you find one then it is a very good buy. I simply love my Miata. It is a lot of fun to drive it around even on wet roads."

FUN FUN Drive

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Low cost of ownership, handling and FUN to drive."

Cons: "Tight ride on rough roads"

Passenger side rear view.

"I have the LS model with the blue leather package. The car is as fun to drive as reported by many other owners. I never thought I would rejoy a U-turn as much as I do. Althought this is a small car, my wife don't feel too close for comfort. The combination of reliablity and handling make this an idea weekend car."

Passenger side rear view.

A Drivers car

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, easy to repair, very reliable"

Cons: "no cup holders, no storage space"

Group cruise

"The 00 Miata LS is an excellent car if you like to actually drive a car as it was intended to be driven. This car is not a gas sipper. It it meant to be ridden hard, and often put up wet. The stock suspension is quite stiff and you may surprise yourself at the forgiving feel of this car in high speed turns and raw cornering ability. Additionally there is an enormous following of enthusiasts for this car. It is possible to spin this car easily in wet conditions. Some design flaws inherent to the 00 Miata LS: if you purchase a california version of this car (As opposed to a federal emmisions version). You will find a cast iron exhaust manifold with an inline catalytic converter that costs nearly $1000 to replace when the cat goes bad. This can be cheaply replaced with an after market header. Or simply an exhaust manifold from a federal emmisions vesion Miata. Coil pack placement. This car uses coil packs in the ignition system to control spark. The coil packs are located between the firewall and the valve cover. This is a very hot location, and the coil packs are prone to failure if they become saturated with grease due to a failed valve cover gasket. Quite expensive to replace. Main thrust bearing. This is generally not an issue after 36000 miles, as the faulty bearing has always presented itself before 36000 miles. This failure could potentially mean you're in the market for a new engine. Rain Rail: The OEM rain rail that the top dumps water into tends to become brittle with age and crack. Check the trunk and parcel shelf for dampness before you purchase this. You will need to remove the top to replace the rain rail. Interior: Aesthetically this car is gorgeous. But it's not particularly comfortable for people over 5' 11". At 5'9" myself, it feels like this car was designed for me specifically, as everything is within perfect distance for me to reach everything in the car without strain. The 00 LS center console could have been done better however. Exterior: It is a beautiful car to admire, and very easy to clean and wax as you can reach everything on it easily due to its low stance. There are several appearance packages available, and the stock ground effects really enhance the appearance. It's a very noticeable car, and people may pick on you out of jealousy. Ease of mechanics: This car is very easy to work on. Surprisingly there is a fair amount of room in the engine bay so you don't feel cramped when you're working on it. The only time you do have issues is when changing the oil. It's not in a very practical spot. I reccomend removing the passenger front tire to change the oil filter. I drive my miata daily, and it is always a joy to drive. The only thing that is missing is a bit more horse power."

Group cruise

My favorite of the 11 cars I've owned, handling!!!

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, handling is excellent!"

Cons: "Needs a little more trunk space"

"The best handling I've ever had, easy to work on, and just plain fun"

SUPER FUN

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

"I have a blast in this car every day... bought it two years ago with 60,000 miles on it and since then I have driven this car as my daily driver... I literally feel like speed racer in it... PROs - Reliable, fun, quick, Rear wheel drive, hard top and soft top, leather, kickin sound system good on gass with 26mpg (when im ricky racing it) and super cute, I call mine Jelly Bean because I joke that a jelly bean is actually bigger Cons - the steering wheel doesn't tilt, and the place ment of the cup holders on the center consol was not the best although it is the most convient. Overall - love this car... would buy another one with the hard top convertable... would be a lot easier then putting on and taking off the hard top like I do... I love that everyone loves my car.. and I love that i steal all those small spaces that usually a SmartCar or Mini get... lol... and I love the 6speed manual transmission... although I am in the process of trying to get out of yet another speeding ticket... USE THE CRUISE CONTROL.. lol"

Great vehicle

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

"This is a great car"

Good car. Better with ABS.

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "Don't Taxi your friends around, Beat Civics"

Cons: "NO ABS is a Problem!"

"Great fun until I had to use my brakes and the guy in front of me had ABS... Turns out I didn't... So it's totaled now, even though it still drives great. The other car had no visible damage, but my car got the headlight bashed out and the front fiberglass nose, the hood and the passenger side quarter-panel destroyed. GET ABS!!!"

Great sports car

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "highly reliable"

Cons: "not very comfortable on long drives"

"I bought this car used in 2002 with 18k miles and have used it as a daily driver since. The only problems I've had is the battery will just suddenly fail and recently it's been having symptoms of the infamous low idle problem. This car is great for challenging roads and I really enjoy driving with the top down which is really easy to raise and lower. There are lots of performance mods that can be installed very easily which can make a difference with the undersized 1.8L engine. I would not recommend this car to someone who is over 6' or wants comfort. It is a roadster after all."

Awesome car for the price. super performance.

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "This car wants to be driven!"

Cons: "tires are $$$ and hard to find."

"this car looks great, runs great, and turns heads"

Reliable, inexpensive to own, drivers car

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty, Handling, Cost of ownership"

Cons: "Too small for tall drivers, noisy harsh ride."

"I bought the 2001 Miata in 2004 with only 12,800 miles on it - it now has 132,000. Mostly highway and back road driving for fun and commuting. I have never had a costly repair - once I replaced a leaky $250 seal in brakes (but could have ignored it it was so slow)that is it. Brakes went 102K. Living in the NW with lots of rain it has never leaked. Top goes up/down easily. Winter commuting @ 28-29MPG Summer 29-30MPG - Premium Fuel with Mobile 1 oil"

FUN!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Great car. Handles Great."

The Corners Wont Know What Hit Them

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Fun, about 3k used, lots of upgrades, long lasting"

Cons: "no cup holders, soft top can tear"

My car after the rain

"Fun car that zips around corners and flies through the gears! Amazing on gas, with my 4cyl 28.7mpg regularly. On longer trips, if I hyper-mile it, I can get about 32.1 mpg. I am the third owner, putting over 47,000 miles on the car thus far. My willingness to trade up is hard measure with a car like this. Yes it is a two seat-er, so only your best friend is coming along with you and the convertible top is TO DIE FOR on clear starry nights. Imagine sharing an experience like that with someone you love on a trip back from the beach or a movie."

My car after the rain

A joy to drive. Best total value sports car.

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cons: "Side view mirror control location, cabin lighting"

"Great looks, always get complements from guys"

love this car

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

"I bought this car 2 years ago with 10000 miles, was in an estate, love love love this car wouldnt change a thing about it. I am a 60 year old woman, you can imagine the looks, but ITS ALL MINE. My other vehicle is a Dodge 4wd with a Hemi, this Miata is great"

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Great for price. Holds it's value. Reliable."

Cons: "Might be too small for larger people. Road noise."

"Reliable, quick, corners very nice. Roomy trunk. Might be too small for large people. Fun car."

Maria's Miata

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very easy to park!"

Cons: "Two bad cuphodlers, window controls are in center"

"I bought this car after my VW Beetle was rear ended. I wanted to stick with something small and I couldn't resist the cute, red convertible that I saw while car shopping. Since then my Miata has been very reliable. I do all of the regualar maintainence (Oil Changes and all that jazz). It hasn't given me any trouble! Plus, it's really fun to drive. The only things I would critque: It does take a while to warm up. Winter mornings aren't very fun. If your taller than 5'6, you may want to reconsider this car. (I'm a very proud 5'5, but all of my tall friends refuse to ride with me. Which can be good!)And lastly, the convertible top does let in a LOT of air, especially on the highway. Which can make having a conversation difficult. But maybe it's just time to replace it!"

Fun reliable car

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

"This is a fun car to drive. Very responsive and easy on gas (28-30 mpg."

I Love this car! Ton's of Fun to drive!

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "Not so good in snow."

"Great on curves! ...not so great in snow :[ Best vehicle purchase I ever made! Purchased New."

Most favorite car I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "easy handling, price, stylish, fast"

Cons: "hard to get in or out of, handles poorly in winter"

"My Miata is my family's second and these are the most fun cars in Spring and Summer! The Miata handles flawlessly. However, with rear wheel drive they are HORRIBLE in winter and in wet conditions!"

The perfect sports car

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Great fun to drive. Bulletproof mechanicals"

Cons: "Not built for long distance high speed trips"

"The car the British tried for 50 years to build. A well balanced, well engineered, reasonably priced, reliable sports car. Plenty of power, good mileage, a high quality top that can be lowered or raised in 60 seconds from the driver's seat. The low gearing, even with the 6 speed transmission, makes it a little busy at super highway speeds but through the twisties at moderate speeds its great fun. Kudos to Mazda for sticking their neck out for a niche market"

A real driver's car

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great value, good resale"

Cons: "warm foot wells in summer from the engine"

"Wonderful car to own. Runs great with required maintenance. I have had my Miata for six years and have had no issues except for regular wear and tear. I also do a lot of my own work since it is easy to maneuver around the engine. Anyone should own it, young or old. It will bring a smile to your face every time you step into it."

favorite car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, low maintenance"

Cons: "too small for some people"

"even after 10 years, I still love driving this car. It is still responsive, powerful and loves the curves!"

Fun island car with easy convertible up/down.

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Easy up/down convertible"

Cons: "Small trunk space"

"Great island car with easy up/down convertible. Everything is at your fingertips. Great car around turns as it hugs the road. Very sporty and fun for two people. Parking is a breeze and can fit almost anywhere. Cold A/C, great sounds and dependable."

This is a British sports car made by the Japanese.

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Most reasonably priced sports car on the market."

Cons: "Not good on snow and ice."

"Best of both worlds. Fun to drive. Incredibly reliable. In 7 years and 121,000 miles the only trouble I've had is with the CD player. Not a good car on ice or snow."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda Miata MX-5 near Honolulu. See local deals