2000 Mazda Miata MX-5

9.5

Based on 264 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

9.7/10

Fun, reliable, classic roadster

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pros: "a blast to drive, economical, styling"

Cons: "could use more torque, a bit cramped if over 6'3""

"If you love to drive, and have another car for practical purposes, the Mazda Miata is a modern affordable classic. The looks won't go out of style, neither will the fun you will have.I owned a MG's and a Triumph in the past. Both cars were great fun, but they consistantly left me stranded on the side of the road. The Miata has been flawless in the 35 thousand miles I've owned her."

Really fun car to drive.Handles like a Go Kart.

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "A drop top race car"

Cons: "Too much for this 70yo guy."

"Bought new in 2002, Has Hard Dog roll bar, Racing Beat headers, Racing Beat dual exhaust, Koni adjustable shocks, Always garaged and never driven in winter, Ziebart diamond gloss and yearly reapplication since new, Bridgestone Potenza tires with less than 5000 miles on them."

Terrific drive,very reliable, Fun fun FUN

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very reliable"

Cons: "smog equipment needed tweaking"

"Bought this 2000 gem (NB model) for my wife, and after 10 years of reliable service, bought her a new sports model Miata. Kept the 2000 for a fun commute for myself. I've added a few modifications to up the performance about 15hp, which was pretty good to begin with, but not quite as much as the latest generation - it's a gas!! Ashamedly, I get into impromptu drag races right out of the toll gates and surprise my opponents by smoking them. YEAH! Even though I'm in my 60's, this car brings out the teen in me - without getting crazy. Outside of oil changes - 23 of them, and occasional tune ups, the only issue with either car has been the smog equipment - and those were fixed under warranty. I have updated the radio, wheels, new top I've owned 4 RX7s, a few Mazda wagons (for business) and a wide variety of domestic and import cars and trucks. This is not counting the Corvettes and Mustangs that I passed on. Even though I have a Mercedes, I usually end up taking the Miata. It is more fun than Vette or Mustang. True, it doesn't have the cache of my Bentleys or Porsches, but it will get you there and back with a big smile on your face. I'm keeping it!"

Miata. Bang for the buck

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Holds value. Good price for such a fun car."

Cons: "Lack of trunk space. Placement of cup holder."

My baby GaGa

"This is my second Miata. My last car was a 1994 Miata. Had it for 4 good years until the head went out on it. Only 110,000 miles on it too. I was spoiled by this time and had to have another. I recently bought the 1999 Miata from a dealer. I got what i want and for now i couldn't be happier. Master cylinder went out on it. Replaced that last week. Did regular maintenance on it when i purchased it. I have nothing bad to say about the car except i do not like having a cup holder in the middle console. Still selfish on the trunk space, but otherwise a well rounded comfortable tight car. Big scare recently when i took it in to a major well known quick oil chain, only to have them not tighten the filter and all the oil leaked out and i drove for days not knowing i had no oil. I would of thought a warning light would of come on. Got spoiled to cruise control which this car lacks. Other than that, i'm good to go."

My baby GaGa

Mazdaratti

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "Sturdy, well built, great value, cheap to maintain"

Cons: "Trunk space limited"

"I have owned various 275+ hp cars (z28, Trans Am, 1991 Miata) but really, this is as fun as they get. My 1999 10th anniversary edition #705/7500 car. Even at slow speeds, I look forward to driving to work every day. Gets 27+ MPG combined!!! I love this car like a child, and it's no wonder that Miata owners are so reluctant to sell them, and if they do, it's usually over KBB price."

Love it

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun at any speed"

Cons: "Ride is a little rough, but who cares"

"15 years old still handles like new The most fun to drive"

Best poor man's sports car since the MGB went out.

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Best poor man's sports car since the MGB went out."

Cons: "Tonneau covers are impossible to find."

"When the last MGB was sold in the US in 1980 (after suffering all the import emissions and safety requirements that killed that car) the Miata came in to fill that market with a new (affordable) version of the 2 seater roadster in 1989. Performance and reliability were added, Lucas electronics and twin SU carburetors were dumped. I loved my MG(s) but I think I loved my Miata(s) a little better. Mac"

Handles great, needs more power, deadly reliable

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cons: "Average 25 mpg; not great for such a small car."

"I've never had a mechanical failure of any kind. I'm the second owner, and in the seven years I've had it, the car hasn't needed anything except fluid changes...oil, trans,and differential; not even a blown fuse. It handles great, but I wouldn't have gotten it with power steering. The car needs to have 200 horsepower; not the 140+ it has, and if it did, it would be as much fun to drive as a base Porsche Boxster, at a lot less money. Even with new Miatas, they are still under powered...or I think they are. These days, economy cars have over a 200 horsepower, so a sports car not being able to outrun a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima, or a V.W. Golf, or just about every other car in a straight line, is just ridiculous. Yeah, it handles better than all of those kinda cars, but it should since that is what you have to look forward to when you have a car as low as it is, and with such a short wheelbase. It's a great car, but with 60 more horsepower it would be impossible to catch on a curvy road, and if it had just 250 horsepower, it would be a world class sports car; then it would have Porsche performance, and unmatched Japanese reliability. Imagine Porsche performance, and not having to see a Porsche dealer for constant expensive maintenance/repairs, or doing anything but oil changes for 100,000 miles."

Best used car I ever bought

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "Plenty of power, super fun to drive."

Cons: "hard to drive with coffee in the car."

"I bought this way below blue book, and love it. Perfect car for me. It was always kept in a garage so the paint ( original) is pristine and interior is also. I have all the extras except the rear spoiler and would not have wanted that anyway. This is a numbered car as only so many were made, and fewer were sold in the U.S. My number is in the first 1000. As far as performance, not one problem and rides much smoother than earlier models of Miatas'. I would recommend one to someone who is not shy of small cars. as this is a small car, with lots of leg room ( my 6'5'' son fits right in).Not so good if you are wider in the girth, harder to get in and out."

A joy to drive.

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Great fun to drive."

Cons: "Small"

"Miata is a great joy to drive. Excellent handling, Nardi Steering feels like part of your body. Have enjoyed owning this car but ready to part with it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda Miata MX-5 near Honolulu. See local deals