2000 Mazda Miata MX-5

9.5

Based on 258 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

9.7/10

Best poor man's sports car since the MGB went out.

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Best poor man's sports car since the MGB went out."

Cons: "Tonneau covers are impossible to find."

"When the last MGB was sold in the US in 1980 (after suffering all the import emissions and safety requirements that killed that car) the Miata came in to fill that market with a new (affordable) version of the 2 seater roadster in 1989. Performance and reliability were added, Lucas electronics and twin SU carburetors were dumped. I loved my MG(s) but I think I loved my Miata(s) a little better. Mac"

Handles great, needs more power, deadly reliable

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cons: "Average 25 mpg; not great for such a small car."

"I've never had a mechanical failure of any kind. I'm the second owner, and in the seven years I've had it, the car hasn't needed anything except fluid changes...oil, trans,and differential; not even a blown fuse. It handles great, but I wouldn't have gotten it with power steering. The car needs to have 200 horsepower; not the 140+ it has, and if it did, it would be as much fun to drive as a base Porsche Boxster, at a lot less money. Even with new Miatas, they are still under powered...or I think they are. These days, economy cars have over a 200 horsepower, so a sports car not being able to outrun a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima, or a V.W. Golf, or just about every other car in a straight line, is just ridiculous. Yeah, it handles better than all of those kinda cars, but it should since that is what you have to look forward to when you have a car as low as it is, and with such a short wheelbase. It's a great car, but with 60 more horsepower it would be impossible to catch on a curvy road, and if it had just 250 horsepower, it would be a world class sports car; then it would have Porsche performance, and unmatched Japanese reliability. Imagine Porsche performance, and not having to see a Porsche dealer for constant expensive maintenance/repairs, or doing anything but oil changes for 100,000 miles."

Best used car I ever bought

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "Plenty of power, super fun to drive."

Cons: "hard to drive with coffee in the car."

"I bought this way below blue book, and love it. Perfect car for me. It was always kept in a garage so the paint ( original) is pristine and interior is also. I have all the extras except the rear spoiler and would not have wanted that anyway. This is a numbered car as only so many were made, and fewer were sold in the U.S. My number is in the first 1000. As far as performance, not one problem and rides much smoother than earlier models of Miatas'. I would recommend one to someone who is not shy of small cars. as this is a small car, with lots of leg room ( my 6'5'' son fits right in).Not so good if you are wider in the girth, harder to get in and out."

A joy to drive.

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Great fun to drive."

Cons: "Small"

"Miata is a great joy to drive. Excellent handling, Nardi Steering feels like part of your body. Have enjoyed owning this car but ready to part with it."

Clean, garage kept

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Manual top goes on and off in a snap"

Cons: "Uncomfortable for taller people."

"My son's car. He Decided to sell it. He cannot use it without a parking hassle (he lives in NYC)I've been storing it in my garage. I start it periodically and drive it locally just to make sure the battery won't go dead and too keep it currently driveable."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda Miata MX-5 near Honolulu. See local deals