1999 Mazda Miata MX-5

9.5

Based on 271 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

9.7/10

Miata. Bang for the buck

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Holds value. Good price for such a fun car."

Cons: "Lack of trunk space. Placement of cup holder."

My baby GaGa

"This is my second Miata. My last car was a 1994 Miata. Had it for 4 good years until the head went out on it. Only 110,000 miles on it too. I was spoiled by this time and had to have another. I recently bought the 1999 Miata from a dealer. I got what i want and for now i couldn't be happier. Master cylinder went out on it. Replaced that last week. Did regular maintenance on it when i purchased it. I have nothing bad to say about the car except i do not like having a cup holder in the middle console. Still selfish on the trunk space, but otherwise a well rounded comfortable tight car. Big scare recently when i took it in to a major well known quick oil chain, only to have them not tighten the filter and all the oil leaked out and i drove for days not knowing i had no oil. I would of thought a warning light would of come on. Got spoiled to cruise control which this car lacks. Other than that, i'm good to go."

My baby GaGa

Mazdaratti

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "Sturdy, well built, great value, cheap to maintain"

Cons: "Trunk space limited"

"I have owned various 275+ hp cars (z28, Trans Am, 1991 Miata) but really, this is as fun as they get. My 1999 10th anniversary edition #705/7500 car. Even at slow speeds, I look forward to driving to work every day. Gets 27+ MPG combined!!! I love this car like a child, and it's no wonder that Miata owners are so reluctant to sell them, and if they do, it's usually over KBB price."

Love it

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun at any speed"

Cons: "Ride is a little rough, but who cares"

"15 years old still handles like new The most fun to drive"

Best poor man's sports car since the MGB went out.

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Best poor man's sports car since the MGB went out."

Cons: "Tonneau covers are impossible to find."

"When the last MGB was sold in the US in 1980 (after suffering all the import emissions and safety requirements that killed that car) the Miata came in to fill that market with a new (affordable) version of the 2 seater roadster in 1989. Performance and reliability were added, Lucas electronics and twin SU carburetors were dumped. I loved my MG(s) but I think I loved my Miata(s) a little better. Mac"

Handles great, needs more power, deadly reliable

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cons: "Average 25 mpg; not great for such a small car."

"I've never had a mechanical failure of any kind. I'm the second owner, and in the seven years I've had it, the car hasn't needed anything except fluid changes...oil, trans,and differential; not even a blown fuse. It handles great, but I wouldn't have gotten it with power steering. The car needs to have 200 horsepower; not the 140+ it has, and if it did, it would be as much fun to drive as a base Porsche Boxster, at a lot less money. Even with new Miatas, they are still under powered...or I think they are. These days, economy cars have over a 200 horsepower, so a sports car not being able to outrun a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima, or a V.W. Golf, or just about every other car in a straight line, is just ridiculous. Yeah, it handles better than all of those kinda cars, but it should since that is what you have to look forward to when you have a car as low as it is, and with such a short wheelbase. It's a great car, but with 60 more horsepower it would be impossible to catch on a curvy road, and if it had just 250 horsepower, it would be a world class sports car; then it would have Porsche performance, and unmatched Japanese reliability. Imagine Porsche performance, and not having to see a Porsche dealer for constant expensive maintenance/repairs, or doing anything but oil changes for 100,000 miles."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda Miata MX-5 near Honolulu. See local deals