2014 Mazda MAZDA6 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,953 - $21,722.

10/8.5

9.3

Based on 103 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Feels like a luxury car!

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

Pros: "Awesomely fun to drive, comfortable, convenient"

Cons: "Small side door storage pockets"

"This car is amazing. I wanted something with more personality than a Camry or Accord, and had been looking at Audis, Lexuses, and other luxury cars. This car feels like a bridge between mid-size sedans and their luxury cousins. Awesome features, great comfort, class-leading handling. Luxury-feel in every way but price. It's perfect. It's sleek and aggressively styled; I've gotten several compliments from strangers. Interior is just as good; nothing feels cheap. The transmission is amazingly smooth and it's really got some serious kick. I test drove a V6 Camry, and it would kick into higher gear and get some power, but it did it with a rough hesitant jerk and it jumped gears. This car doesn't do that, ever. It's very comfortable with a smooth, quiet ride and lots of leg room for passengers. The trunk is huge and doesn't have any weird curves or edges. My large golf bag fits straight back or sideways. The back seats fold down flat, which is nice and was a strong knock against the Accord which for some unexplainable reason don't fold down at all. Gas mileage is great, pushing 40 mpg, which is especially impressive given how sporty the car is. Doesn't hurt that Mazda was just recognized by KBB as the Best Brand for 5-year cost to own. Beyond the styling and interior, the tech features in particular make the Mazda 6 feel like a luxury car. Automatic windshield wipers and headlines with auto brights. Lane watch and blind spot monitoring work great and help prevent me from doing anything stupid. The assisted cruise control in the Grand Touring tech package works like a charm, making it so I don't have to constantly come out of cruise control whenever I come up on a slower car. It smoothly slows down to a set follow-distance until the lane is clear. Some reviewers were concerned about the large tires causing a rougher ride. I didn't notice this. Maybe if you were used to a huge truck or something, you would feel that, but I didn't. The biggest knock against the Mazda 6 I've seen has been the touch display system in the front. Everything has worked fine for me and the system seems pretty intuitive and easy to use. The touch screen buttons seems slightly laggy though, and I think some other cars have bigger displays if that's important to you. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the car. After some serious research on Toyotas, Accords, VWs, and Lexuses among others -- including several test drives -- I am convinced I made the best choice."

Nice Family car for long trips

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

Pros: "No motion sickness, great auto transmission"

Cons: "Interior Lights can kill battery"

"This car keeps everyone in my family happy. My wife and sons don't get motion sickness on winding roads like all the other cars we have tried and its fun to drive. I'm not sure what Mazda has done to the suspension that's different from all the other midsize cars (we tried everything from Ford, Kia, Toyota and Honda) but it's the only car that doesn't make my wife motion sick. The suspension is slightly stiffer than the Kia, Toyota, Honda but softer than the Ford. The interior noise is slightly more than the Honda but not by much. The automatic transmission is the best I have driven in any car of any type. It is smooth shifting quiet and quick. After it learns your driving (a couple hundred miles, I know because it looses its settings after the battery goes dead, see con section below) it seems it's never in the wrong gear. The manual mode is great too and allows very precise and quick shifts which allows precise engine breaking for long down slopes. The car handles the curves nicely without being too harsh or rolling too much and the breaking is smooth and linear and handles dry roads to slick ice well. The steering has the best driver feedback of all the current midsize cars. On long stretches of highway the car seems to glide along effortlessly but never puts you to sleep. The blind spot monitoring system and backup monitoring is brilliant. Its never obtrusive and extremely reliable and it definitely adds an extra layer of safety to everyday driving without being annoying. The interior is exactly like I like it simple, clean and convenient. Modern Hondas are exactly the opposite, with lots of very complicated and confusing controls, so if you like Honda interiors you will probably dislike the Mazda 6 interior and vice-versa. Fuel economy in my car is entirely dependent on the driver. It never gets bad economy but it can get amazing economy. My Brother drives like the police are chasing him and gets about 26mpg but on long trips I can drive it gently and get 45mpg easily, my wife gets about 33mpg average. The cars fuel monitor is almost exactly 9% pessimistic in my car reporting 9% less mpg than I actually get. I keep a log of every fill-up and its always consistent. The interior is roomy even with two car seats an adult can sit in the back comfortably and the two front seats keep plenty of leg room for anyone under 6 feet tall. My friend who is 6'4" cannot fit comfortably in the drivers seat but another who is 6'1" can. I'm 5'9" and I fit great, my wife is 4'11" and she fits great. So I can't recommend the car for a driver who is much over 6' tall but even very short drivers like my wife fit great with great visibility. Cons: The automatic cabin light system can drain the battery. My sons love to play with any buttons they can find and there are several ways to turn on the cabin lights so that they stay on continuously which will drain the battery if your not careful, everything else in the car shuts off after a while just not the cabin lights in specific modes. A good design is like Fords I have owned, they shut off everything accidentally left on after an hour or so. Also the I-drive knob (or some other such stupid name) between the passenger and driver seats is stupid and useless but at least its not intrusive, everyone simply ignores it. My wife doesn't like the sound of the trunk when it closes she says it sounds cheap. The other doors sound nice when you close them."

Pizza Delivery :D

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Price, looks, LED headlights, gas mileage"

Cons: "Tiny things, steering wheel leather fades quickly"

"I actually owned a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport from May to December of 2014. Once I saw the Grand Touring model on the street, I traded it in within a month for it. Since getting my GT in mid December of 2014, I have put almost 20,000 miles on my car. I actually delivery pizza and I couldn't think of a better car to drive every day, I love it. I get so many compliments, people thinking the car costs $40K< and turns so many heads even though the car has almost been out for 2 years. I can't think of a single complaint about this car, everything about it is perfect."

You won't be sorry with this gorgeous car

By on Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun, gorgeous, thrifty and all sport"

Cons: "Noisy on a rough road, hard to get in and out"

"I've owned this vehicle about 5 months now and have a second car so it doesn't get a ton of miles on it. But, every time I take it out for a drive, I enjoy myself. The car could probably use a few more horsepower to be a super driver, but it also gets great gas mileage. I don't really feel its underpowered, I would say its adequately powered for most situations. No, you won't scream from the stoplight, but it has sprightly acceleration and its smooth. When you need to speed up on the highway, you simply go faster without any harsh transmission kicks. I used the cruise control on a mountain pass and you literally could not feel the switches in RPM's and shifts. The Bose stereo option is excellent. Everything in the car is where you expect it to be and of good quality although I'm not in love with the look or feel of the headlight and wiper arms on the steering wheel. I've had much more expensive sport sedans and this is on a par with all of them. It is a perfect mix of fun to drive with a great value and great gas mileage on regular to boot. It is a long time between fill ups. One other minor gripe is as a tall guy, it isn't an easy car to get in and out of, being so low to the ground and I have to watch my head on the door too, but once in, I'm very comfortable for a long drive."

Bought the car to replace a 7 yr old Pacifica

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "Gas milage, sound system, handling, styling"

Cons: "Seats could be a little wider at the shoulders"

"We had owned Mazda autos before so buying the Mazda6 Grand Touring was like coming home. The Mazda6 is a load of fun to drive much like the Mazda3S that we had before. Steering is light yet responsive. Acceleration is good when in Auto but much better when using the shift paddles on the steering. The 11 speaker sound system is amazing and the tonal range is outstanding. The seats are heated and comfortable. The radio is also Navigation and phone. the large touch screen is to navigate and as a safety feature is locked out to minimize playing with the Navigation while driving, a feature my wife loves. We have the Almond interior and we replaced the headrest with ones that have a DVD system in them. I found a local upholstery shop able to match the interior color and texture. The 184 hp engine (while not a muscle car) responses very well when the gas is pushed. I have found that in manual mode and shifting at 4000 rpm, the Mazda6 gets up to highway speed very quickly. We have absolutely no regrets on purchasing this vehicle. We offered my daughter a new car when we bought ours, but we were told that her car (Mazda3S hatchback 2004 model) had better be at home when she came back from studies in Japan. I guess you can say we as a family enjoy our Mazdas."

Beautiful design on this Mazda 6

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Very refined, great ride/handling,beautiful design"

Cons: "lack of horsepower, lack of leg room, nav screen"

"Was able to spend a few hours driving this car, which is owned by a close friend. It's probably the best looking car in this mid-size class. It's really an amazing looking car. Was able to drive the car around town and 85mph interstate speeds. The quality and fit and finish are great. The car feels and drives like it's built very high quality. When compared to the new Accords it feels much tighter and better engineered (I personally own a '15 accord lx). The ride quality is fantastic and road noise is minimal. It handles great. It handles and rides better than the new camry. The cons: it feels under powered--won't thrill you in any way. Power is what I'd call just adequate. The leg room both up front and in the rear will be bad for anyone much over 6ft tall. This car is just not engineered for taller drivers or passengers trust me. It's a beautiful car(especially in red). It drives and feels wonderfully refined and smooth. With another 60-70 HP this would be a near perfect vehicle (excluding drivers much over 6ft tall. Quality is on par or better than Toyota and hugely better than the new Hondas."

Nicest car I have owned

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, blind spot warning"

"Have enjoyed owning this car. About 20 more HP would be nice, but overall a good value. I am hearing impaired and enjoy the quiet interior. Many complain about the 19 inch wheels. I had my dealer swap out to the 17 inch wheels for a $150 charge. Now I have the Touring comforts with a smoother ride. By all means, ask the dealer to swap the wheels if you want a quieter ride. Most will not offer this but will do it for little or no charge. Blind spot warning lights are great for those of us who are >55 and can't always twist our necks as far as we once could."

Reliable and great value!! [Crash Tested!]

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, Fun to drive(seriously...), Safe, Quiet"

Cons: "Cheaply made center console/divider"

[The rims come standard in silver, not black. These are Plasti-dipped]

"After owning this car for about 10 months, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with this car overall! Originally, I was planning on buying the 2013-2014 Ford Fusion. While researching the car, I came across a comparison on Youtube between the Fusion and the 2014 Mazda 6. I fell in love with it instantly!! I purchased the car at the end of December of 2013. Here are some quick specs: 2014 Mazda 6 i-Touring 6-speed Manual [Black] So far, after almost a year, this car has not disappointed me. I took a road trip to Georgia earlier this year-from Virginia- and was averaging 37mpg!! Though only advertised at 25mpg in the city, I get around 32mpg; And i live in the suburbs. The design of this car is impeccable. I've received many glances and comments. I even have had people walk up to my car in the parking lot to get a closer look at it. In April, I unfortunately collided with a deer on the going about 55-60 mph . The driver side airbag deployed and I walked away from the incident with only a small bruise from my seat-belt. After about $8,000 in repairs, the car is still running just as strong and hasn't given me any problems since then. My one and only gripe about this car is the center console/divider is cheaply made. With very little pressure, the whole thing wiggles a bit. Also one of the bolts on the armrest came loose so i'm getting that fixed this weekend. Overall, hands down, I would recommend this car to anyone and everyone! It has amazing value and tons of options for the money. It's also very safe and I would feel safe putting my baby cousins in it. Summary: Sporty looks and handling, Safe, Reliable, Quiet interior, Head-turner, Incredible Torque for a 4 cylinder (thanks to 13:1 compression ratio), and overall just a well made car under $30k!! A must buy!"

[The rims come standard in silver, not black. These are Plasti-dipped]

My take after a 3000 mile road trip

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "MPG,"

Cons: "Poor Shift programming at low speed. Radio design"

"Overall I like this car, I am 6'2" 200 (athletic) and the seats are a bit small, especially on upper back. My wife and I took this car a 3000 mile road trip and averaged 40 mpg and it was comfortable. When I purchased the car I got the big rims with the low profile tires . . . wife hated the ride and refused to drive or ride in it. Dealer swapped out the tires and saved my marriage . . much better ride. The car is gas mileage oriented so you will never be in the power band when you want quick pickup. At 10 mph you are in 3rd gear, press the gas and no one's home. Press hard and traction control takes over and it's whoa, slow down cowboy, not going to let you do that. I miss the days when your foot was connected to a carburetor by a direct cable and the car did what you asked of it. Now I turn off the traction control and use the paddle downshift when I need power. . . that works. The radio has nice sound and 3 banks of presets (5 p/bank) but switching from bank 1 to 2 requires fumbling about and taking your eyes off the road . . .very bad design. Feeling like I got snookered paying 30k. . .will not keep this car long term."

Great car but narrow front seats

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "Overall, a great car."

Cons: "Driver's side front seat too narrow."

"Just leased a Gran Touring model last week. The car is red, gets lots of positive comments when people see it. It has all the tech options available and this car has a lot of value for the money. The pick up is good, ride is a bit stiff, but this is expected with the sporty character of the car. Interior space is very good, especially in the rear seats. With the rear seats down, the storage space is great. So far, the only negative I have is that I find the drivers seat to be uncomfortable. I am 6 ft, 180 lbs, not what I consider a big guy. My problem with the seat is that it is too narrow. Maybe it will soften with use, but for now, I'll have to use a pillow."

Great pick up w the this car

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "Gas miles, pick up when entering highway."

"I had a mazda3 which had 80K on it and it was time for something bigger. This car has great room inside and a very large trunk. Love the backup camera and sensors in mirrors so you can see people. Only issue was when heavy rain the car almost shut down, but this issue was covered under warranty. You should take this car for a test drive for sure."

Elegant & sporty midsize sedan

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Looks, great value, comfort"

Cons: "Lack of power, Center display"

"This car has a beautiful design from every angle, it also has a a expensive look for an affordable vehicle and best of all it is not en every other driveway or parking space. it lacks power but it is such a gas saver that I'm willing to compromise. I got the Red Soul Touring with the moonroof package which includes the Bose 11 speaker system. I opted for the wheat interior leatherette which contrasts with the black paneling inside and it creates a cool contrast. The standard 19 inch wheels, and the double exhaust make this car look very sporty. I find the radio and back camera display small and not up to par with the competition also many of the interior materials feel cheap but overall this is a great option for a midsize car."

Traded in my Audi

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Power, features, gas mileage, zoom-zoom"

"Traded in my Audi A4 because I needed more room as the family grows. I was pleasantly surprised at the driving experience; available features, roominess, comfort, power, and yes the gas mileage. Averaging 32mpg around town. Even though I enjoyed my Audi, the 2014 Mazda 6 has not disappointed me."

Awsome looking reliable car

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "Camera, 17", driving & handling, mpg, phone"

"I have been owning the car for two weeks now and its been serving me great. The Looks can't be beat, and getting 30/mph mix city and hgwy for a large sedan is awesome. The fact that its gets good mileage and accelerates fast is something that is not much found in other cars. I wish I had more options, but HD radio and rear view camera is ok too. Over all a good driving experience."

Fun to drive, quiet 4 cylinder engine, great MPG

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, very fun to drive, striking looks"

Cons: "small screen in infotainment center"

"This car is great fun to drive (like most Mazdas), has a surprisingly quiet 4 cylinder engine, is comfortable (although I haven't taken any long trips in it yet), and gets really great gas mileage, which is one of main reasons I bought it. I am getting 35.0 MPG in mixed driving, which I think is about the best you can do for a non-hybrid or non-electric mid size sedan. Plus, I think it's a very good looking car, esp, in the red. And you don't see all that many on the road like Accords and Camrys. Only negative is small screen in infotainment center. Overall a wonderful car, and I am very picky about the cars I buy."

2015 model too many steps back from 2007

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks, 185 hp, milage, ext design"

Cons: "Blind spots, int design, aud controls,"

"We bought the Mazda 6 for my wife to drive. She had the 2007 for 7 years and loved it. So our "pros and cons" are mostly based on a comparison. She's a shorter person (5'3") and it can be hard to find a car that gives her good visibility out over the hood and back through your blind spots. This was our first priority in shopping both times. The 2015 meets the visibility forward test but after a few months of driving we've both found that the blind spots are huge. The shape and design of the windows and position of the seats create larger than average gaps where you can't see over your shoulders. The 2007 M6 had awesome interior design- great use of space for storage and cubbies and great vent design for the A/C. The 15 has done away with most all of that. The front doors have ONLY a drink holder space for storage; there's wasted space for audio controls in the center consol; the center arm rest is tiny; the visors are tiny; it's hard to get the air vents positioned effectively. AUDIO The IPOD hookup is nice... but it always starts playing the first song on your IPOD instead of what you were listening to last! And we paid for the BOSE sound system upgrade. I'm a musician and audiophile and I'm completely unimpressed with the sound. It's nice to have a more modern car- the HP is good, the MPG is good, and it is fun to drive. We compared the Mazda 6 to the Ford Fusion and the Hyundai Sonata. We'll get used to the drawbacks of the design on the Mazda, but we're both starting to think we should have gone with one of the others..."

Best thing since the RX7

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "handling, comfort, looks"

Cons: "no lock on the glovebox"

"The last Mazda I owned was an RX7, which was really fun until ice hit the road. Well, the Mazda 6 is nearly as much fun, and handles ice a lot better. Although it doesn't like quick handling as much as the RX7, it does a lot better than my '83 5.0 Stang. Eveything is located well, the interior is outstanding for a mass production car, getting 38mpg, and it's just a very pretty car from the outside. Even my wife loves it."

Best sedan out there

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Responsive, MPG, Horsepower, Look"

"I bought this care after researching almost every other sedan on the road. For a car of this size, it has top MPG while also having a top ranking in horsepower. The car looks awesome from the outside and is extremely responsive. The only other car I even considered buying was the Mazda3, but I have only owned a Honda Accord before this and had no history with Mazdas. Very impressed."

Great gas milage

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "great gas milage, great power, looks great"

Cons: "resale value (?) front seats need to be redesigned"

"Fun to drive with the exception of the seats, they are uncomfortable, they hug me more than I like. I have to adjust the seat backwards in order to get out of the car. I was told by my sellsman that Madza's hold more of their value than American cars. MSRP on mine $30K, paid $26K. According to KBB it's only worth $19K trade in, $21.6K private party sell with only 5K miles on it. That translates into $.88 cent a mile for depreciation, (private party sell). That's not good in my book."

Best Value

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

"I replaced a 2004 Mazda6, with a 2015 Mazda6 GT w/tech package. I swore that I would never buy another Mazda. But I could not pass this car up. The looks, equipment, mileage and overall ride of the car for the money was like a dream come true. I have taken in on a couple of road trips and have gotten over 40 mpg. My average is in the low 30's, which is 7-8 better than my old Mazda."

Wow.....

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Great Price and Great Drive"

Cons: "Nothing at all."

"I own this car since last 2 weeks and this is my first car in the USA as I moved to USA last month only.I fell in love with this car on my test drive. There is nothing to hate about this car. it's got everything what I asked for. Performance,quality interior,good MPG (around 40 without ieLoop). Buying one more car in years time and def.. it will be Mazda CX9 (need a big suv)"

BEST ,BEST

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "GOOD"

Cons: "GOOD"

"VERY GOOD"

comparing to it's price, M6 is the best

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Top quality"

Cons: "nothing"

"i own Maz6, and i love it, i've been driving cars since 2002 i tried more than 30 different cars some i own and some i rent. Maz6 got me satisfied. there are so many cars better in specs but nothing in the same price. (Proud to own a mazda 6)."

First time owning a Mazda vehicle- Mazda 6 Touring

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Driving dynamic"

Cons: "Road noise, could use extra 15-20 horse power"

"I was deciding between the 2014 Accord or 2014 Mazda 6. I went with the Mazda because of it good look and dynamic driving characteristic. The Mazda 6-speed automatic transmission was way better than the Accord CVT transmission while getting nearly identical MPG. The Mazda is fun to drive. I wish I could get the Touring model with 17 inch tires instead of 19 to improve ride quality. On rough road, there is definitely more noises coming into the cabin. The A/C vents are a little low on the dash. The safety electronics like Lane Departure Warning take little getting use to but it works well. The reversing camera lack trajectory guide but works well even in dim light condition. The power driver seat is very comfortable with great lumbar support. The driver left side arm rest is a little low and not wide enough. Rear visibility is a little narrow due to low roof line and high front head rest. The Sound system is good but not great. The Ipod integration take WAY TOO LONG to be recognized. HD radio is clear but signal can drop off sometimes. Blue tooth pairing is easy. Voice command is a nice features but not very useful. Rear seat is supportive and can fit 3 comfortably. The trunk is smaller than most cars in this category but the trunk liner make it look nice. 60-40 rear spit seat make it easy to carry longer cargo items."

Great look and drive, poor infotainment

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Design, great price, great drive"

Cons: "Infotainment, infotainment, infotainment"

"I just bought the Mazda 6 iSport Automatic yesterday, so I'm obviously only going off of one day of driving, but within this one day, I think I have a fairly good handle on the things I love and don't love about this car. First of all, I love the way this car looks and drives. Gorgeous vehicle. I traded in my 2012 Camry because, honestly, I didn't love the way it looked. It drove well, and was/is a reliable vehicle that gave me no problems, but it was not the most visually appealing car. I'm 23-years-old and wanted a car that looked sexy, and the Mazda 6 delivered on that. The all-black interior feels extremely luxurious. The interior is especially great for people with dogs as it hides stains/paw prints really well. The shape of the car is beautiful-- nice and sporty. The car also drives SO well. I would say in terms of drivability, the Mazda 6 comes out on top. My Camry drove great and smooth, but the Mazda 6 is no comparison. It's speedy, handles turns well, and overall is just a better drive. With that said, my biggest gripe with the Mazda 6 is the infotainment system. TERRIBLE. Literally, the worst thing I have ever used. And before purchasing the vehicle I assumed it was so slow because I was going through the initial set up-- NOPE. It's slow ALL THE TIME. The bluetooth system takes roughly 30 seconds to a minute to begin playing my music (it literally took milliseconds in the Camry). The USB/iPod port-- Good luck. You'll probably get to your destination before it finishes "reading iPod". I have roughly 3500 songs on my iPhone and it takes ~5 minutes EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR to play my music. Again, this took milliseconds in the Camry. Literally the moment I attached my iPod in my Camry, my music was ready to play. So naturally, transitioning to this ridiculous excuse for an infotainment system was quite shocking. In addition to that, the infotainment system is so slow responding. If you press a button, the action happens roughly 2-3 seconds after you pressed the button. Want to skip a song? Hit skip... wait 2 seconds... song skips. It's incredibly irritating. With a car that is SO perfect in every other conceivable way, this subpar infotainment system is such a disappointment. While I still love the car and give it a 9/10... Mazda really needs to release an update that gets this system to the level of other vehicles. There are a ton of great features, but if it's too slow and takes too long, what's the point?"