2014 Mazda MAZDA6 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,355 - $20,194.

10/8.5

9.3

Based on 122 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

9.7/10

Test Drive It Before You Purchase Any Other

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Everything so far"

Cons: "Nothing so far"

"Nothing I write here would justify what you actually feel driving one. If you're considering purchasing/leasing a mid-sized sedan, don't make any decision without test-driving a Mazda6. I was planning to get a Manual Transmission car going into my car hunting. For some reason the I Touring Manual model I test-drove had more road noise on highway and its crutch is a bit heavier than I expected. Therefore I ended up going with the I-Touring Automatic version. My old car was the worst in the parking lot at my office. Now I don't have any hesitation to park my car next to a BMW/Benz and my Mazda6 actually looks better than many of them."

We made a Great pick!

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "gas, style, driver control, safety, bose system"

Cons: ".................................................."

"my wife and I got a brand new mazda6 touring package and its all that we thought it was. gas is the afterthought after driving this car around.do your research and I promise you wont find much better than this model car. the price and quality equal happiness for my family and I. this car looks better than any other car I see on the road today. the bose system is stellar and it sounds just as good as any system you may have installed elsewhere so its worth the package upgrade. my wife and I also love the rear camera for driving in reverse and the interior is very comfortable for bucket seats."

Great car, great value, love to look at it

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Style is great, nice interior, nice ride"

Cons: "Slightly sluggish 0-15 but picks up much quicker t"

"So after searching the small sized car market and doing my research I had narrowed down one of my options to the Mazda 3. After sitting in the 3, I realized it was a bit small for someone my size (6'2", 220 lbs). While in the showroom I noticed the 6 which I immediately love stylistically and thought was without a doubt a $35K car. I was shocked to see sticker of $22k (Sport model). After a test drive I knew this car was for me, I had that "wow" enjoyment that I did not get from other test drives. I continued to do some research on similar priced cars in the mid segment and without conclusion the Mazda 6 wins, hands down. The May 2013 MotorTrend issues compares to the Camry and Accord and the 6 was the favorite. Take a test drive, you will not be disaapointed. Fun to drive, nice interior, GREAT looking car. Get the Touring, worth the money for the leatherette and touch screen with Pandora."

Best sedan out there

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Responsive, MPG, Horsepower, Look"

"I bought this care after researching almost every other sedan on the road. For a car of this size, it has top MPG while also having a top ranking in horsepower. The car looks awesome from the outside and is extremely responsive. The only other car I even considered buying was the Mazda3, but I have only owned a Honda Accord before this and had no history with Mazdas. Very impressed."

Good value + fun to drive

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Great price, lots of room, fun to drive, good MPG"

Cons: "steering is light, needs some more power (for me)"

"I have the 2014 sport with 6sp manual. At 6'3" I fit very comfortably in the seats and have plenty of room. I got the black mica and had the dealer install full leather interior. The exterior style is eye catching and it drives like a car costing thousands more.The steering feel is a little light for my taste, but not that bad. The transmission is tight and exact with good feel. Extremely good value. My mileage numbers are around 28 for city driving and 37 for highway.. Go drive one now and decide for yourself!"

deal killers for me

By on Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "In it's class, by far the coolest looking car."

Cons: "not DIY friendly"

"Let me start by saying this car is really good looking and drives great. In my heart I really wanted this car but a few things killed it for me. I do my own work on my cars and there will be times I need to jack up the front of the car and unfortunately this Mazda 6 model does not have a front cross-member to put a hydraulic jack under. That's a huge hassle. Additionally the underside of the car is covered by a big plastic shield. It covers the entire lower engine compartment. Imagine every time you need to look under the engine you have to remove this giant panel...no thanks. One more thing I don't like, no engine temp gauge, really? Come on. Some people actually understand engines and this gauge is critical. My heart is telling to overlook these issues because she's a beauty but sadly my brain is telling me to look elsewhere. I would however recommend this car to a friend because most of my friends don't do their own work. Great car, just not for me."

base model is awesome value, great car for the $!

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "handling, poise, fuel economy, coef of drag"

Cons: "interior storage places, 16.6 gallon fuel tank"

"I bought it on a whim and overall I am very satisfied. Was going to buy a Camry or Accord, maybe, but this car at the base level is superior to the SE or other base models by the two makers, in my opinion, have driven both. I even looked at Ford Focus and Chevy Cruze models and when they are nicely appointed they are easily more than I paid for the 6. This car seems to hunker down on the highway the faster you go, like a German car, and is very poised and stiff and all of one piece in hard cornering, for a large FWD car. I have a mixed drive to work and I get 32mpg all the time easy. Best highway tank was 39.9 mpg and I am sure I can get 40 plus mpg with no traffic jams on a highway trip. Car never seems to work hard, engine is overachiever for 185 horsepower. Fast car when you really get on it and tell the computer "GO"!. Wish they had kept the 18.5 gallon tank from the previous model, 16.6 is too small for a car in this class. Seats are good, interior OK in base model but Mazda put the paddle shifters in all the cars, would cost almost nothing. Wish the key was smaller and lighter too, I do not like the new chip keys, too big and heavy. Important: the coefficient of drag (cd) of the car is .26, like a Prius, and I cannot believe Mazda does not advertize that! The relaxed gearing and cd means the car gets great MPG, but still goes fast when you wake up the computer and put your foot down. Low cd is super important at speeds over 50 mph, makes all the difference in the world. Overall a great car for the money, very agile for size. Car feels all of one piece, sturdy, light, people comment that it is a good looking car. Way better than an Accord or Camry, overall, in my opinion."

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, good on gas, great interior"

Cons: "Ambient lighting would be nice"

"Hello Everyone, This is my first Mazda. I've always wanted one, but never bought one. I'm glad I've waited until the 2014 model. I bought the I Grand Touring Model in red. I get positive comments on it all the time. It does look stunning. As far as driving dynamics. Backgrgound: I've owned 2 Dodge Chargers prior to this one and I live in the Washington, DC area. The Mazda 6 is enough power to merge onto the freeway with no problem. Although I do wish it was a tad bit faster. So you may notice the difference if you come from a V-6. However, you'll forget the difference when you go fill up at the pump. I usually spend $39 or less to fill it up and it last for a little over a week. I drive to work and sit in traffic everyday. I push it through curves purposly. It handles them nicely and the steering firms up just right, so you know who's in control. It feels very nimble and turns on a dime, so to speak. Interior quality is great. The almond leather seats with the black carpet looks awesome. The dashboard is soft touch and even the doors are. Very Nice interior. The thing that needs slight improvement is a better refined engine sound. It sounds very rough at first start. But quiets down nicely when cruising."

Say goodbye to Ford, say hello to 100% Jpns qual.

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Great options, mpg's, handling, comfort."

"I liked the test drive so much that I decided NOT to wait for the diesel/e-loop. As it stands, I am getting 31.5 MPG city and 45 highway anyway, so, maybe I made the right decision given the added expense of dies. fuel. All I can say is that the road feel and driving dynamics are comparable to more expensive sedans that I have owned in the past, yes, including my 2009 Audi S5! When I take the time to review, I always consider pricing, and this car is very well priced considering the options, mpg's, etc. Got the Black Mica, next one Soul Red. One for the both of us!"

very nice vehicle to drive and own.

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "tom-tom nav system could be better."

"I purchased the grand touring model, which is fully loaded. This is a fun car to drive, handles very well.The bose system in this car is great.where ever I park, People come up to me to tell me how good this car looks. Before I purchased this car, i drove the new toyota, the new honda and chevy malibu, I find the new mazda to be the best of the bunch."

SINCE '91 ALL OF MY MAZDAS HAVE BEEN VERY RELIABLE

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "excellent price, relaxing to drive"

Cons: "arm rest too far back or just too short."

"The following is just a testament of how I fell about Mazda vehicles. I've owned the following Mazdas: 1991 Mazda 626, 1993 Mazda Protege (close to 300,000 miles and still going). A '09 Mazda 3, a '10 CX-9, an '11 CX-7 which was the only Mazda vehicle I didn't like, a second CX-9 in 2013. I just traded the '13 for a 2014 Mazda6 lease and so far I am loving it more than any of the other Mazda's I've owned. I leased this time because I wanted to make sure that this was what I really wanted. When my lease expires, I plan on buying the new model or buy a certified pre-owned Mazda6 iGrand Touring."

Great car, has a lot of get up and go.

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Every thing"

Cons: "You will feel the road"

"Fun car to drive. Love the lane warning in mirrors. Has a lot of pep for a car that averages 30 miles to the gallon, all stop and go driving. You will feel the road which is good and bad. The bad is you feel the potholes, but on the good side you feel like your driving in a sports car. I am tight with my money and did a lot of shopping and test driving before I bought this car. I still feel like I bought the best car for my money every time I look at it in a parking lot next to all the other boring cars. Once in the leather seats and pushbutton start, great sounding engine. I know I bought the best car for my money. If you buy this car be ready for people to stop you and tell you how much they love your car."

Wow!

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Superb handling, design, fit and finish, seats."

Cons: "Radio is average."

"I have the manual. It is FUN to spin around in. Great chassis, balance, transmission, build quality, seats ...and svelte enough to really get noticed. Gas mileage is 5 mpg better than my manual 2010 Accord coupe and the ride/ handling are much more refined. It drives better than the 2005 TSX I had and way less $. This car is unbelievable from a value perspective...and has razor sharp styling. The interior is simple (a good thing) and elegant, but could use a little better sound system. I look forward to my 17 mile city commute each day!"

Fun to drive, quiet 4 cylinder engine, great MPG

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, very fun to drive, striking looks"

Cons: "small screen in infotainment center"

"This car is great fun to drive (like most Mazdas), has a surprisingly quiet 4 cylinder engine, is comfortable (although I haven't taken any long trips in it yet), and gets really great gas mileage, which is one of main reasons I bought it. I am getting 35.0 MPG in mixed driving, which I think is about the best you can do for a non-hybrid or non-electric mid size sedan. Plus, I think it's a very good looking car, esp, in the red. And you don't see all that many on the road like Accords and Camrys. Only negative is small screen in infotainment center. Overall a wonderful car, and I am very picky about the cars I buy."

Great look and drive, poor infotainment

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Design, great price, great drive"

Cons: "Infotainment, infotainment, infotainment"

"I just bought the Mazda 6 iSport Automatic yesterday, so I'm obviously only going off of one day of driving, but within this one day, I think I have a fairly good handle on the things I love and don't love about this car. First of all, I love the way this car looks and drives. Gorgeous vehicle. I traded in my 2012 Camry because, honestly, I didn't love the way it looked. It drove well, and was/is a reliable vehicle that gave me no problems, but it was not the most visually appealing car. I'm 23-years-old and wanted a car that looked sexy, and the Mazda 6 delivered on that. The all-black interior feels extremely luxurious. The interior is especially great for people with dogs as it hides stains/paw prints really well. The shape of the car is beautiful-- nice and sporty. The car also drives SO well. I would say in terms of drivability, the Mazda 6 comes out on top. My Camry drove great and smooth, but the Mazda 6 is no comparison. It's speedy, handles turns well, and overall is just a better drive. With that said, my biggest gripe with the Mazda 6 is the infotainment system. TERRIBLE. Literally, the worst thing I have ever used. And before purchasing the vehicle I assumed it was so slow because I was going through the initial set up-- NOPE. It's slow ALL THE TIME. The bluetooth system takes roughly 30 seconds to a minute to begin playing my music (it literally took milliseconds in the Camry). The USB/iPod port-- Good luck. You'll probably get to your destination before it finishes "reading iPod". I have roughly 3500 songs on my iPhone and it takes ~5 minutes EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR to play my music. Again, this took milliseconds in the Camry. Literally the moment I attached my iPod in my Camry, my music was ready to play. So naturally, transitioning to this ridiculous excuse for an infotainment system was quite shocking. In addition to that, the infotainment system is so slow responding. If you press a button, the action happens roughly 2-3 seconds after you pressed the button. Want to skip a song? Hit skip... wait 2 seconds... song skips. It's incredibly irritating. With a car that is SO perfect in every other conceivable way, this subpar infotainment system is such a disappointment. While I still love the car and give it a 9/10... Mazda really needs to release an update that gets this system to the level of other vehicles. There are a ton of great features, but if it's too slow and takes too long, what's the point?"

Best Family/Sport Sedan on the Market

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Looks, Impressive Interior, Price"

Cons: "USB & Ipod take forever to load"

"I have the 2015 Mazda6 Touring with the Bose/Moonroof Pkg in liquid silver. Have only had the car for a few months, but I'm very impressed so far! I averaged 39mpg on 2 of my most recent trips with the cruise set at 75. I thought it may be a tad underpowered initially (my other car is an Infiniti G37xS coupe), but it's surprisingly quick around town and has good passing power on the highways. Interior fit and finish is nicer than most cars $10-15k more! I also considered the Honda Accord Sport, but found the Mazda6 to be the better buy with loads more standard features and sharper looks! I highly recommend this car to anyone shopping for a $25-30k car!"

Best car I've ever had - attracts lots of complime

By on Thursday, April 02, 2015

Pros: "Good value for money, nice driver's car"

Reflex Blue Color with Tinted Windows

"I've had my M6 for about 3 weeks now. It's Touring with automatic transmission and Bose/Moonroof package. I hadn't considered a Mazda before, but now I'm certain I got great value for money and a car that is fun to drive, comfortable, classy, stylish, and practical. I won't gush about the things I like, instead I'll address the things I see others writing negatively about. Some professional reviewers have been very critical of Mazda's navigation systems. I didn't get navigation, knowing it wasn't a great system and that I could easily have one installed later once the technology improves. Instead I have the excellent navigation on my smartphone (which is always hooked up via bluetooth the sound system anyway) direct me when needed. This is an audio and not visual solution, but it's perfectly fine for me. Otherwise the rest of the audio/screen system is great. It even displays your text messages on the dashboard screen or reads them out loud to you. I get more compliments on the interior than anything. A couple people have said it looks and feels like a Mercedes, meaning I guess it's roomy, it's comprised of high-quality materials, and it has lots of straight lines. If you like all the bubbly, curvy, 'space-pod'-looking dashboards that many car companies are relying on to make their vehicles look 'modern' or updated, then this is not the car for you. As for noise, I admit it can seem a little loud. But when did we decide that drivers weren't supposed to hear the engines they're using? I like hearing it rev, and it sounds great when you first start the car. I think Mazda let their enthusiastic drivers keep the engine noise on purpose (besides if you have the Bose sound system on or the sunroof open you won't hear the engine anyway). It's the first Mazda in my family and the only one parked on my block right now, but judging by the many looks and questions I get about it I'm sure there will be more to come."

Reflex Blue Color with Tinted Windows

An exceptional sedan

By on Saturday, May 30, 2015

Pros: "An exceptional sedan with class and character."

Cons: "Bose Centerpoint system not best in class."

Living in Arizona, white was the obvious choice!

"Having owned my 6 for over 9 months and 10K+ miles, I haven't a single bad thing to say about it. It's a stunningly beautiful vehicle with CHARACTER. How many mid-size sedans can say that? The 3rd-gen car is a massive improvement over the previous generation. The engine is definitely no slouch in the power department, but won't win many drag races. Still, what the car can do in the handling department quickly makes up for any power deficiency. What Mazda has achieved with its SkyActiv system is nothing short of an amazing technical achievement - a car that has a 13:1 compression ratio that is happy on regular gas. Mazda had to build a winner if it wanted to survive and they have certainly done it, across their model line. For the price the interior has quality materials and there is thoughtful design and amenities. The Bose Centerpoint sound system is above average, but not exceptional like the rest of the vehicle. The nav system is a bit on the small side but that was addressed in the 2016 model. Still I've never had any issues with it. It works well for my purposes indeed. The ride is stiffer than others but that is exactly what I wanted. Some road noise on rough roads, but I don't mind that either. I wanted a driver-oriented family sedan and this is the best in class, bar none. Mileage has been great in mixed driving ~ around 34 mpg. If Mazda continues to build vehicles like these, I will remain a loyal customer. Don't overlook the 6 by going directly to Honda and Toyota. Give the 6 a look and you're sure to love it just as much as I did."

Living in Arizona, white was the obvious choice!

Bought the car to replace a 7 yr old Pacifica

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "Gas milage, sound system, handling, styling"

Cons: "Seats could be a little wider at the shoulders"

"We had owned Mazda autos before so buying the Mazda6 Grand Touring was like coming home. The Mazda6 is a load of fun to drive much like the Mazda3S that we had before. Steering is light yet responsive. Acceleration is good when in Auto but much better when using the shift paddles on the steering. The 11 speaker sound system is amazing and the tonal range is outstanding. The seats are heated and comfortable. The radio is also Navigation and phone. the large touch screen is to navigate and as a safety feature is locked out to minimize playing with the Navigation while driving, a feature my wife loves. We have the Almond interior and we replaced the headrest with ones that have a DVD system in them. I found a local upholstery shop able to match the interior color and texture. The 184 hp engine (while not a muscle car) responses very well when the gas is pushed. I have found that in manual mode and shifting at 4000 rpm, the Mazda6 gets up to highway speed very quickly. We have absolutely no regrets on purchasing this vehicle. We offered my daughter a new car when we bought ours, but we were told that her car (Mazda3S hatchback 2004 model) had better be at home when she came back from studies in Japan. I guess you can say we as a family enjoy our Mazdas."

Traded in my Audi

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Power, features, gas mileage, zoom-zoom"

"Traded in my Audi A4 because I needed more room as the family grows. I was pleasantly surprised at the driving experience; available features, roominess, comfort, power, and yes the gas mileage. Averaging 32mpg around town. Even though I enjoyed my Audi, the 2014 Mazda 6 has not disappointed me."

fun to drive, people notice it, sporty

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Skyactiv, 2.5 L, 38 mpg tells it all."

"Been driving up and down between New York and Upstate NY. Fun to drive, sporty, people notice it, the exterior large hood gives an outstanding appearance which makes the car from the opposite eye turning stare every time I drive. The back trunk design is superb. The tapering shape underneath the trunk with a solid black bumper is what makes it "can't get enough look at the trunk" feeling. Driving-wise, kick starting the Mazda car always brings you the feeling of "Are you ready?" because it never fails to drive up fast while other cars might take a lag before you can feel the gas pedal. A few caution to tall people because the hood is large and long from the driver view, if you want to have an eagle eyes view, your seat do not allow you to have a perfect eagle eye view because up lifting your diver seat will make your head touch with the car roof. But once you get past that "I must have the eagle eye views on the hood" phase, everything is awesome about the car. Love the car."

Nice Family car for long trips

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

Pros: "No motion sickness, great auto transmission"

Cons: "Interior Lights can kill battery"

"This car keeps everyone in my family happy. My wife and sons don't get motion sickness on winding roads like all the other cars we have tried and its fun to drive. I'm not sure what Mazda has done to the suspension that's different from all the other midsize cars (we tried everything from Ford, Kia, Toyota and Honda) but it's the only car that doesn't make my wife motion sick. The suspension is slightly stiffer than the Kia, Toyota, Honda but softer than the Ford. The interior noise is slightly more than the Honda but not by much. The automatic transmission is the best I have driven in any car of any type. It is smooth shifting quiet and quick. After it learns your driving (a couple hundred miles, I know because it looses its settings after the battery goes dead, see con section below) it seems it's never in the wrong gear. The manual mode is great too and allows very precise and quick shifts which allows precise engine breaking for long down slopes. The car handles the curves nicely without being too harsh or rolling too much and the breaking is smooth and linear and handles dry roads to slick ice well. The steering has the best driver feedback of all the current midsize cars. On long stretches of highway the car seems to glide along effortlessly but never puts you to sleep. The blind spot monitoring system and backup monitoring is brilliant. Its never obtrusive and extremely reliable and it definitely adds an extra layer of safety to everyday driving without being annoying. The interior is exactly like I like it simple, clean and convenient. Modern Hondas are exactly the opposite, with lots of very complicated and confusing controls, so if you like Honda interiors you will probably dislike the Mazda 6 interior and vice-versa. Fuel economy in my car is entirely dependent on the driver. It never gets bad economy but it can get amazing economy. My Brother drives like the police are chasing him and gets about 26mpg but on long trips I can drive it gently and get 45mpg easily, my wife gets about 33mpg average. The cars fuel monitor is almost exactly 9% pessimistic in my car reporting 9% less mpg than I actually get. I keep a log of every fill-up and its always consistent. The interior is roomy even with two car seats an adult can sit in the back comfortably and the two front seats keep plenty of leg room for anyone under 6 feet tall. My friend who is 6'4" cannot fit comfortably in the drivers seat but another who is 6'1" can. I'm 5'9" and I fit great, my wife is 4'11" and she fits great. So I can't recommend the car for a driver who is much over 6' tall but even very short drivers like my wife fit great with great visibility. Cons: The automatic cabin light system can drain the battery. My sons love to play with any buttons they can find and there are several ways to turn on the cabin lights so that they stay on continuously which will drain the battery if your not careful, everything else in the car shuts off after a while just not the cabin lights in specific modes. A good design is like Fords I have owned, they shut off everything accidentally left on after an hour or so. Also the I-drive knob (or some other such stupid name) between the passenger and driver seats is stupid and useless but at least its not intrusive, everyone simply ignores it. My wife doesn't like the sound of the trunk when it closes she says it sounds cheap. The other doors sound nice when you close them."

Awesome, Sporty and Green

By on Sunday, June 01, 2014

Pros: "Value for money, mpg, driving dynamics"

"Owned 2014 Mazda6 touring since Oct-13. Enjoyed driving it compared to my 12 Camry LE. More value/features for money (Paid almost same for both car but Mazda6 has more standard features). Commute takes about 40-45 min for 25 miles and still got 32-34 mpg."

Simply Awesome!!

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, unbelievable mileage, parking camera"

Cons: "less acceleration on uphills"

"I have had this i-sport automatic 4dr sedan car for 2 months, and my mileage is 2500 so far! The first thing that I noticed is the mileage. I am a bit cautious driver and I made the highway mileage reach to 38mpg on an average day (over a length of 80 miles, averaged over 10 times). If I am too cautious (like putting the car to neutral on slopes and not exceed 70mph), I can reach 40mpg. I usually believed that car companys lie on the mileage (because none of the almost new cars that I drove ever came close to the recommended mileage, e.g. ford fusion, toyota matrix). But this is impressive. On local driving (a length of 15 miles, averaged over 5-6 times), I achieved average 22-23mpg on automatic, and 26 on semi-automatic, not bad, huh? One thing I love about the car is the handling on sharp turns. On roads with sharp turns having 25mph limit, the car feels comfortable at 40, unlike toyota matrix and ford fusion (tried with both of them, almost new cars). The least attractive thing is the acceleration on uphill slopes. The car has tough time accelerating over 65mph on uphills, although that is a part of the deal for a car with 185HP. And it does not bother me, when I am getting 38mph on highways. Overall, before buying, test drive the car on roads with sharp turns. You won't be disappointed. Oh btw, it has a standard rear-view parking camera, for FREE!!!"

Nice Combination of Practicality and Sportiness!

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Sportiness, Styling, Value"

Cons: "Wind Noise at high speeds"

"Bought a Touring in August 2013. Great car so far as I love the styling, ride, and roominess while getting 30 MPG overall. My only complaints would be wind noise at freeway speeds and the infotainment system has some bugs where a USB or iPod takes forever to load and always starts from the same place (rumor has it that a fix is on the way in April though). Overall, an awesome car and I have no regrets."