2014 Mazda MAZDA6 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,124 - $28,290.

10/8.5

9.3

Based on 122 Ratings for the 2014 - 2016 models.

9.7/10

Best thing since the RX7

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "handling, comfort, looks"

Cons: "no lock on the glovebox"

"The last Mazda I owned was an RX7, which was really fun until ice hit the road. Well, the Mazda 6 is nearly as much fun, and handles ice a lot better. Although it doesn't like quick handling as much as the RX7, it does a lot better than my '83 5.0 Stang. Eveything is located well, the interior is outstanding for a mass production car, getting 38mpg, and it's just a very pretty car from the outside. Even my wife loves it."

For the money in its class, simply unbeatable

By on Monday, August 17, 2015

Pros: "Great fuel economy, nice price, excellent dynamics"

Cons: "Check for blind-spot concerns"

"I now have just over 50,000 miles on this car, having owned it for about 18 months. Yes, you read that right on the mileage. It has gone through one set of tires in that time. Driving dynamics are excellent; this is a car you can do 12 hour road trips in without feeling like you got hit by a bus halfway there -- and I have made many of them. My average fuel economy since new is right near 35mpg -- no, that's not an error either. It runs on regular, so no pricey premium fuel is required. For a gas-powered vehicle of this size to get into the mid-to-upper 30s on AVERAGE fuel consumption is simply outstanding; I've tracked every tank since it was new. I've had zero maintenance issues with the car; it has required only routine oil and filter changes, plus a new set of tires. Incidentally, consider the BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S (if you want/need all season tires) when the time comes; they are a big upgrade from the Yokohama Adavan A83s that come from the factory and are reasonably priced. I bought the sport specifically to get the manual gearbox and "non-fancy" radio, since I intended to (and did) immediately replace it with an aftermarket unit. Note that the 2016s lose this capability, since they have gone to an integrated unit rather than an easily-replaced 2-DIN size. That, and the loss of the manual handbrake, are two reasons I prefer the '15 to the '16. I drove pretty-much everything in this class with an under $50,000 MSRP before buying the "6", and in my view it's a superior car to those costing twice as much -- if the driving experience is a major part of your requirement set. That it also obtains class-leading fuel economy is a large bonus and one that materially lowers the cost of ownership (if you put on a lot of miles.) There are compromises at this price-point, of course. The 2.5L I4 engine is plenty 95% of the time, but in the mountains the lack of forced induction means it does suffer somewhat. The MT benefits from a heavier and shorter shift knob than stock (which I changed), and I'd like it if the accelerator and brake were a bit closer together, as heel/toe downshifting is a challenge at best. I suspect you can thank the lawsuit lobby for that, unfortunately. Nonetheless if you're looking for something in the mid-sized class that can handle 4 adults without turning the rear passengers into sardines, has excellent fuel economy with outstanding driving dynamics (Mazda actually managed to fashion electric-assist steering that doesn't feel like a rubber band, for example) while at the same time returning astounding real-world fuel economy, you'll find that combination in this vehicle -- and nowhere else at anything approaching the asking price. One downside to mention -- visibility is a bit of an issue forward due to the slope of the hood, so you do have to pay attention when pulling in to parking spaces, and as with most modern sedans the B and C pillars produce a bit of a blind spot, especially if you're coming from a wagon or small SUV. The good side is that unlike many modern cars ground clearance is quite-generous so you won't rip the forward skirt off the car with normal-sized curb stops -- a very good thing that many modern vehicles get wrong."

Wow!

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Superb handling, design, fit and finish, seats."

Cons: "Radio is average."

"I have the manual. It is FUN to spin around in. Great chassis, balance, transmission, build quality, seats ...and svelte enough to really get noticed. Gas mileage is 5 mpg better than my manual 2010 Accord coupe and the ride/ handling are much more refined. It drives better than the 2005 TSX I had and way less $. This car is unbelievable from a value perspective...and has razor sharp styling. The interior is simple (a good thing) and elegant, but could use a little better sound system. I look forward to my 17 mile city commute each day!"

Best Mazda6 by far

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

"I have owned 3 Mazda 6's. (2004 hatchback, 2012 sedan, and my 2014). This one by far is my favorite. The 2012 that I owned had been in a hit and run. Minimal damages, however I went to my Mazda dealership to get an estimate. I saw the new 2014 and I knew I was going to try to trade in my 2012 for it. I didn't even have the 2012 for a full year! Much happier with this one:)"

Good family sedan with sporty traits

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Styling and driving feels"

Cons: "Road noise, driver seat too firm"

"I previously owned Accord, Maxima, and Impreza. I decided to get another sedan with better mileage. The finalist was the 2014 Accord or the Mazda 6. I went with the Mazda 6 for better driving feels and super gorgeous exterior. The Touring model has all the features I needed. The driver door armrest could be higher. The wind noise is bad with windows down. Road noise is average. Love the 19" wheel. So far average about 30 mpg with some spirited driving. I do miss the V-6 engine but good trade off for better mileage."