2009 Mazda MAZDA6

Based on 199 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

By on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"This an updated review. I've owned the Mazda 6 almost a year now and had a few issues. 1) rattle under the dash area when cold weather sets in. 2) A/C compressor failed. 3) Keyless entry fob broke. All issues were taken care of in a timely manner by the dealer. Rattle still persists but can be lived with. The V-6 is a real zoom-zoom performer with 28mpg highway and 20 city. Looks as though this car is a keeper."

Excellent driving and handling sports sedan

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Good price, sporty looks and handling, quality"

Cons: "Firmer seating, rear seat cooling/heating"

"Mine is the std. 4 cyl and I'm impressed with the power and acceleration this vehicle has. It's handling is well balanced with good ride. Going on four years ownership I still admire its good looks and design. Fit and finish on mine is very good with no annoying noises inside or out. Changing the OEM Michelins when the time came helped even more in handling and quietness. My only suggestion for improvement is the front seats could use a bit more padding in the lower half. The pwr seats have infinite adjustments but I still have trouble on longer rides without a little added cushioning. Overall a very good quality car built in Flatrock, MI"

Great car, some quirks

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pros: "Nice styling, character, handling, a driver's car"

Cons: "Some cheap plastic bits, base radio stinks."

"I've owned my '09 Kona Blue s Touring 6 for about three years and like it very much. It has the "convenience package" which includes Bluetooth, rain-sensing wipers, BSM, xenon lights, etc. A seal was leaking in the power steering pump requiring an entire replacement at 3500 miles. An unbearable "flapping" noise caused by a loose piece of under-body trim required fixing however that's the extent of the problems other than a small rattle in the dash. The exterior of the car is gorgeous and very unique, the interior is laid out very well but suffers from some cheap plastic bits here and there - mostly the door panels and center console. The seats are exceptionally comfortable and the car has a MUCH more sporting character than the plain vanilla Camry or Accords. The V6 engine has tons of low and high-end power and accelerates the car effortlessly. It's quiet, refined and is happy on regular gas. OK it doesn't get the best gas mileage with the V6 but that's the price you pay for a 3.7 liter engine. The engine is actually a Duratec variant made by Ford and has been well regarded over the years - it's terrific. The transmission is an Aisin AWTF-80 SC. It's a high-torque transmission that's used in other Mazdas, Volvo's and a few others. It has a good reputation for being reliable. Mazda definitely got the "manual" shift pattern right - pull it down to advance to the next gear, up for previous. That's the way it SHOULD be in a driver's car. Handling is definitely a strong point of the 6. The suspension is tuned well for the twisties and the car has front and rear anti-sway bars. It stays well planted in the corners. The ride is a bit harsher than others but by no means uncomfortable. At speed the car is quiet and composed. The Michelin's that came on the car are quiet at first, are OK for dry traction but absolutely atrocious for wet traction. The more they wear the worse they get - I can't wait to replace them! Mazda if you're listening, get rid of the Michelin MXM4s and put Yokohama AVIDs, Continental ExtremeContacts, anything but those Michelins! The only other rant I have is regarding the base audio system. It's adequate but not one of the better units I've had in a vehicle. The car has grown on me over the years and I am more attached to it now than when it was new - this is something that's not happened to me before and I've owned an Acura TL-S, an Infiniti G35 and a bunch of Toyotas. My 6 was leased and I'm gonna buy her next month when the lease is up. This is also something I've never done before when a lease was up. Bottom line is the Mazda6 won't disappoint you and will likely grow on you as the car ages. It actually has character, which is a rarity among Japanese cars these days."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "Power, handling, style, ride"

Cons: "Expensive. FWD"

"I test drove 8 different models of vehicles before buying the Mazda 6. I traded my 2006 Legacy in for it. Other cars driven, Legacy (too slow and too small), WRX (Too small but plenty fast), G-6 (too small too slow), G-8 (Great size, real compfy but too spongie in corners), Jetta (too small too slow), A4 (Sweet car too expensive), Camry (Plush but too slow n spongie), Accord (Sweet tide, great car. A bad dealership experience drove me away but I will look at this car again)and CC (Sweet car too expensive for the options I was looking for. I will look at this car again too. very nice). The Mazda 6 was about $8k over my budget but I loved it so much I made a few consesions in order to own it and have not been disapointed. I got the GT-S version with virtually every option except the navigation and spoiler. I drive a lot and really wanted a comfortable car and I am still a knucklehead on the streets and wanted something sporty. I do drive too fast and make some bonehead moves from time to time but this car has the oomph needed to get out of it's own way. The ONLY thing I do not like about the car is front wheel drive only. I would prefer all wheel drive for rain and snow."

Practical sports sedan that looks/handles great

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Handling, style, fun to drive, value"

Cons: "fit/finish is great but too much plastic on dash"

"I get bored quick when it comes to cars. At 39 years old I have owned well over 20 different vehicles. I have had everything from pick-up trucks to sports cars. Now that I have a wife, 3 kids, and a picket fence I need something practical. I have both a 2009 Mazda6 I Grand Touring, and a 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring. The 5 gets daily driving chores, and the 6 is used as a second car. Both are well equipped for the price and they do exactly what they are designed to do. Nothing out there handles like a Mazda. Obviously I can not compare my Mazda6 to a Shelby GT500. But compared to a Camry, Accord, or Altima, or other similarly priced mid-size sedans nothing comes close. You can look at specs all day long and make arguments for every car out there. What matters in the end is how the car feels on the road, and the Mazda won't disappoint."