2008 Mazda MAZDA6

Based on 906 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Excellent niche vehicle, very exclusive and fun.

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Good bang for buck and excellent driving dynamics."

Cons: "Engineering lapses leaves room for improvement."

"I purchased my 2006 Speed6 new in December 2006 for an excellent price. When these cars were new, they essentially rotted away on dealer lots, as, for one reason or another, Mazda had poor success marketing the car to the public, and couldn't sell them. Those who waited around for the left overs, such as myself, were able to nab these cars new for next to nothing. So, for that reason, I consider it a great value. The car is alot of fun to drive. The moment I laid on the throttle during that first test drive, it was intoxicating. I had to have it. The car is very swift. It is a heavy car, but still very manageable and predictable when wrung out around corners. My car still has the original finicky clutch, for which Mazda issued a TSB. I always appreciated the on/off, firm feel of the clutch, and never asked Mazda to perform the TSB. The gear 6-speed transaxle is great, and the gearbox is a pleasure to paddle through. Though, in later years, has lost some of its fluidness. Features a very capable, well designed AWD system. Though, the rear LSD mounts are weak and prone to shearing mounting bolts. This is one of the weakest aspects of the design of this car. The engine is excellent. It was the recipient of Ward's top engines award for a number of years. It is no slouch, but also very tame and efficient when subdued. The car is capable of very modest mileage on the freeway. However, this engine suffered from several weak design aspects. Certain early builds of this engine, featured in the CX-7, MS6 and MS3, had poor variable valve timing actuator design - imminent and premature freeze pin failure, in addition to a stretching of the timing chain. Mazda's extended warranty, to 7 years, 7,000 miles replaces these parts with a freeze treated pin and a beefier chain. Mazda also extended warranty on another common issue - smoking turbocharger. Also extended to 7/70. The smoking turbo issue is quite heinous. When it smokes, it SMOKES. There's a few other weak areas in design here and there. But, overall the car's quality is not bad. Materials are good throughout. Build is good. Though, paint is thin. Mine, 7 years and 73K miles later still looks new. Thanks in part, of course, to my care, but Mazda also crafted a nice piece of workmanship here, completely capable of fun, speed AND longevity. As the 7th and final year with the car comes to a close, I have mostly good memories of the car. I am authoring this review as an ode and a last hoorah. The car is up for sale, and expected to sell at the end of the week. It'll be a great addition to the stable for its next owner. As for myself, I will miss it dearly."

I wish they still made this car, Id buy another!

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "Engine, Transmission, cargo space, suspension, fun"

Cons: "they dont offer the wagon anymore :-("

"It is fun, and sporty but has a ton of room in it!! Super reliable and Im very happy with it. I have never had any major problems with the car at all. 290k and still going strong!!"

sporty, but needs improvement

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "looks good, goes fast."

Cons: "4 speed automatic. interior quality."

"bought new in 2004. its slow up to 15 mph then a rocket up to 120 mph. auto trans could use at least one more gear. i have 2.3 liter 4 banger. would like 24 mpg but get about 20 city. headliner fell down all ready. the front seats are very uncomfortable. the rear seats are great. the interior is very nice but doesnt last. exterior paint is good. 84000 miles on it now. handles corners awesome if i shift it, handles average if left in drive. great brakes."

Simple mechanical goodness

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "value, fun to drive, great dynamics, reliable"

Cons: "could be more efficient"

"At almost 164000 miles, it runs pretty strong. Mechanically sound, fairly efficient, runs great so far. I've only put 1500 miles or so on it since I bought it but I haven't had one problem yet. And although you can pick them up cheap, they have proven reliable (especially the 4cyl). Common problem... wheel well rust on one rear wheel well, almost all of them have it. The suspension is a bit firm, the engine is a little coarse, and the 4cyl power is only average (although it does have a lot of miles and is almost 10 years old). This car is SUPER FUN! The 5-speed manual transmission is superb, the steering is a little light but very precise and loads up very naturally. Its nimble, corners flat, and has just enough power to keep the speed up in the corners. I would highly recommend this car with the four cylinder and 5-speed manual, its the best combination of speed, efficiency, and weight balance."

After 5 Years and 100k Miles Later

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Gas (27 Mpg Avg.), Reliable, Looks good for an 03"

Cons: "Interior not made to stand the test of time."

"I picked up my 2003 Mazda6 in 2008 with roughly 80k miles on it. When I bought the car I figured at best I would get 2 years out of it considering that I paid less than $5,000, but it has been incredibly reliable and still drives great considering the high mileage. Besides regular maintenance here is list of the things I've had to fix on the car. 110k - Intake Manifold ($600) 140k - Patch the exhaust pipe behind muffler (Free, a quick and easy job for a welder) 165k - O2 Sensor ($150) 170k - Gas Cap ($25) 185k - Vapor Canister Purge Valve ($65 for the part, really easy to install) Obviously since I have owned the car I've had to do several oil changes (every 3-4k miles religiously), brake pads and rotors 2x, shocks and struts 1x, and tires 2x-3x. The only negative to this car in my opinion is the interior just doesn't age well. The headliner sags a bit now, the seats seem to stain easily (no pets/kids/smoking), and the radio display is constantly having pixels go out. Overall this has been a great car, and even though I've recently been looking to replace it there's no doubt in my mind I could easily get the car up to 225-250k miles with very little cost if I wanted to."

Electrical Issues

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Styling, strong engine and good brakes & steering"

Cons: "Electrical issues in general & poor headlights"

"Electrical issues are the problem: Poor headlights on low beam and next to impossible to replace the bulb yourself without tiny hands. Alternator replaced twice in last two years and now a recommendation to replace the computer from my mechanic who suggested that it was time to let go of this vechicle for good. Thought I could get 200,000 miles from it but not with a bum computer. On the plus side, a strong engine, good brakes and precise steering. I personally like the styling quite a bit and the car "fits" me well."

Fantastic and reliable!

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

"My MazdaSpeed6 is THE best car I have ever owned. The reliability and quality of this entire vehicle has impressed me since day one. I would buy another one tomorrow."

nice,roomy,quiet,comfortable,fun to drive,economic

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "handling,comfortable,fun to drive,great features."

"I bought this car as a "Sunday driver"only car.For a mid-sized vehical,it is a very roomy,comfortable,easy driver.I fell in love with it so much,I found myself driving it every time I wanted to go anywhere.The gas milage is excellent for around town.As for long trips,it is a very comfortable,economical car.I have owned every American make of vehical,and a few other "foreign" imports.This is as good, if not better, as any car I have owned to this point."

If I had it to do over, I would still choose you!

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "handles good, good breaks, big trunk"

Cons: "broke 6 disk cd player(mine only), no aux jack"

"I love this car, I have owned it now for about 4 years. I haven't had any problems out of this car that haven't been routine maintenance problems. The reliability is the best part, I had a car previously that I couldn't rely on at all. My Mazda6 has never let me down!(knock on wood!) There are very few things that I would change about my car, one being the 6CD changer CD player, unfortunately it has been broken since I bought my car. The previous owner got a CD stuck in there some how, so adding a auxiliary jack so I could use my iPod would be nice. I love how comfortable the ride in my car is. I very rarely get uncomfortable. I also love the enormous trunk space! Very useful when moving. Overall I have loved this car and haven't had any problem out of it. I would most definitely buy Mazda again!"

A perfect 10 - No doubt, best car I've owned!!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "As solid as a sledge hammer!!!"

Cons: "It is now nearly 9 years old!"

"I bought this car new in 2006 as a dealer left over. Stickered for almost $28K and got it for $25K. We've owned new Lincolns, Volvos, Nissans, Audis, VWs, Chevys, Jeeps, Dodges and more. Yes, we are car crazy! Now at 98K miles, I love it just as much as the day I drove it home. I am considering selling it to buy a new Kia Forte and really hate the thought of that too. Never one issue, always started when needed and never left me stranded. Handles so darn good!!! and its a wagon to boot!!! Mazda needs to bring the wagon version of the new Mazda 6 so I could buy it instead of a Forte! That Mazda refuses to bring their wagon to the States is why I refuse to buy their sedan! Dang shame too!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25