2005 Mazda MAZDA6

Based on 959 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Simple mechanical goodness

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "value, fun to drive, great dynamics, reliable"

Cons: "could be more efficient"

"At almost 164000 miles, it runs pretty strong. Mechanically sound, fairly efficient, runs great so far. I've only put 1500 miles or so on it since I bought it but I haven't had one problem yet. And although you can pick them up cheap, they have proven reliable (especially the 4cyl). Common problem... wheel well rust on one rear wheel well, almost all of them have it. The suspension is a bit firm, the engine is a little coarse, and the 4cyl power is only average (although it does have a lot of miles and is almost 10 years old). This car is SUPER FUN! The 5-speed manual transmission is superb, the steering is a little light but very precise and loads up very naturally. Its nimble, corners flat, and has just enough power to keep the speed up in the corners. I would highly recommend this car with the four cylinder and 5-speed manual, its the best combination of speed, efficiency, and weight balance."

Hard to replace this car

By on Thursday, April 7, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, smooth drive, nice styling"

Cons: "Burns through a little oil, rusts easily"

"I bought my 04 V6 5 speed manual at 130,000 miles. This one's fully loaded with every option. And this car is something else. It really is a drivers car; the perfect smooth shifting, the continuous availability of power all throughout the rev range (V6 at least), smooth drivability, and reliability, I have such a hard time even trying to compare most new vehicles that I've driven with my 6s. I've only had to do routine maintenance. Actual parts replace in the 26,000 miles I've had this car: lower engine mount and front lower control arm. For the time this car was made, the design to me is flawless. People continue to ask me if it's a newer car only for them to be shocked when they find out it's 12 years old. If this car did not have the typical surface rust build up under the rear wheel wells (I try to keep it under control but Michigan winters...), this car would exceed the shine it has. For how sporty I continue to drive it, it never ceases to amaze me in the characteristics I listed above."

I Love this Car

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "smooth, comfortable, fun to drive, a lot of space"

Cons: "they should all have an aux unit,"

"I always wanted a mazda6 so when i got the chance to buy a new car i went for it. I didn't expect too much comfort seeing how everyday they seem to come out with a new idea for a car, but to my surprise its everything and better. Its got a lot of room which i need because i'm a mother. Its comfortable for long drives. Its very smooth! and the steering on it and brakes are smooth and right on point. this was a definite great buy!"

I love my Mazda6

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Low maintenance, fun to drive, looks good"

Cons: "Handles poorly in snow"

"I love the way this car looks and the zig-zag gear shifter. I also like the red dashboard lights, no glare. The front seats are very comfortable even on long drives, but the back seat is quite small. This does provide for better gas mileage however. The trunk is quite big and the back seats can fold down so I am able to put my mountain bike in the car quite easily. The only problem I have had is driving in the snow can be quite a chore in this car. It rides low to the ground and doesn't seem to have as much weight to it as one might think. But go slow around corners and allow for extra breaking time and it is fine. Oh, and one more thing, with regular oil changes this car has been a dream come true for me. No major repairs in almost 150,000 miles :)"

Mazdaspeed6 - Completely different from the base 6

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pros: "Quality, handling, acceleration, feel, options"

Cons: "Styling a bit too conservative, stiff clutch"

"The Mazdaspeed6, while similar in appearance, is actually a completely different vehicle than the regular Mazda6. The difference between the two is not just cosmetic, nor that it just has a bigger engine and sportier suspension. It is much more than that. Up through the 2008 model year, the standard 6 was built in the U.S. alongside it's American "cousin" the Ford Fusion, and shares many characteristics with the Fusion. The speed 6 and the RX-8 were at the time the only Mazdas built in Japan by Mazda Motor Corporation, not by the Mazda-Ford joint venture. Mazda Motors focused on pure performance, and it shows with this vehicle. It may look like the standard 6, but it is a wolf in sheep's clothing. With 274 horsepower, 280 ft-lbs of torque, a turbocharged engine with direct injection, a standard 6-speed manual transmission (with no automatic option), a 0-60 time in the mid-5's, all-wheel drive, and handling very close to that of a pure sports car, the Mazdaspeed6 means business, and is for the serious driving enthusiast. It's conservative styling (which is actually a little TOO conservative) makes it an unassuming sleeper, and mine has eaten many Mustangs and WRX's for breakfast. But people who know this car, KNOW. But the fun thing about this car is the Jekyll and Hyde persona it has. It is also a very capable and comfortable commuter car, and with the AWD system and excellent traction and stability control system, is especially nice in snowy or rainy climates. The grand touring model has every comfort feature you could imagine, from heated seats, to power moonroof, Bose audio system, xenon headlamps, keyless entry/ignition, and many more. It is a luxury car with a sports car alter-ego. I will add also that it has been very reliable since I bought my 2007 model new in early 2008. If you ever have a chance to buy one of these, by all means do it. There just are not many other cars like it, and they only sold 10,000 in the U.S. for 2 model years (2006 and 2007). I like it every bit as much as I liked my RX-8 that I had before it, and even a little bit more because it is much more reliable and versatile."

LOVE THIS CAR!!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Gas Miles, Sporty, Sound, Reliability, Space"

Cons: "Sits low; must be careful with parking stumps! lol"

"I never thought I would drive an actual car.. I've always driven trucks for smaller SUVs. This is the first vehicle I have bought on my own and I don't think I could've picked out a better one! Not only does this car look sporty, without actually being a sports car, but it also gets amazing gas millage. I drive a lot on a weekly basis and living in Arkansas, you have at least a 15min drive from home to go anywhere. I'd say I fill up my car about once a week to a week and a half. I took a 10 hour drive (each way) vaca and it only cost my about $80 each way! This car is cost efficient and very reliable! With the mileage I bought my car with, many people thought I would have lots of problems... but I've only had to repair little things here and there that come naturally over the additional miles added. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a reliable car, with good gas mileage, that still looks sporty and "cool." I am a very proud Mazda owner!"

love it!

By on Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"This is a great car, have had it for 7 yrs w/o any problems and would get another if we didn't have kids and want a bigger car. The trunk is huge and it real nice. The back seats are big w/plenty of leg room as well as the front seats."

Love My Mazda 6

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"I bought my NEW 2004 Mazda 6S the last week of Jan 2005. I got a great deal on it since it was a previous model year still on the lot. Paid ~$5700 below sticker. Overall, I really love this car, but I'll start with the cons just to lay them out. Cons: I have the 3.0L V6. It's more sluggish than I'd expect from a 6-cyl. The low end torque just isn't there. The gear ratios for 4th and 5th aren't where I'd like them either. I usually skip 4th because it's not much use. 5th should bring the RPMs down farther at highway speeds... cranking >3500 at 60mph. Pros: The 5-speed is really fun to drive. Like most Mazdas, the engine really likes higher RPM's. Great pickup with RPM's 2500+. Tight steering and nice engine tone really make the car feel like it has more under the hood than it really does. The Bose stereo is decent. Leather seats are really comfortable. The car has been really solid. No problems to speak of aside from a squeak in the clutch & brake pedal that was fixed under warranty (degraded brake fluid TSB). The engine compartment is laid out well so it's fairly easy to maintain. My Mazda6 is silver with tinted windows and sports package w/spoiler. Looks great. If you want a reasonably-priced, fun-to-drive, anti-Accord sedan with Zoom-Zoom and room for the family too, this is the car for you."

Nicest looking car in its price range

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Great looking, fast, hatch is usefull"

Cons: "later models dont look as nice"

"I bought this car 3 years ago used and it has been very dependable. I went shopping to find a new car last week for my wife and when I came home and saw my blue mazda6s (With the spoiler of course) i thought "Man the new cars just dont look as cool as this car". I would definatly buy this car again. Not sure what im going to buy someday when mine dies.... nothing compares."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pros: "Good gas milage and very reliable"

Cons: "Could use a little more room in the back seat"

"This was my first "New" car got it with 12k on it in 2007, It has taken me to Texas several times as well as several trips to New Mexico never a single issue and decent on gas! Never thought I would fit in a mid size car as I am 6 foot 7 but it is very comfortable, it is at 78k miles now and I have yet to do ANY major repairs save for a small factory recall. Resale is good!"

A great family car

By on Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, sporty looks, stereo, overall quality"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better, LARGE turning radius"

"Every time I am about to say goodbye to a car I like to do an "exit interview" to evaluate my time with my vehicle. For the majority of the years I've owned my Mazda6, my daily commute was a little over 2 hours roundtrip, mostly city driving. In the 6 years I've owned this car, it has been very good to me. Never had a single mechanical problem. Of course, I was pretty on top of my routine maintainence, as anyone should be, but I have very little to complain about this car. I like to get the bad stuff out of the way first. The gas mileage could've been better. This is the main reason I am saying goodbye to this car. I averaged about 20 mpg and with an 18 gallon tank, it really sucked money out of my wallet every week to fill up. Mine was just a 4-cylinder and I expected better gas mileage. My other complaint is the turning radius. I was forewarned about it prior to buying it, but it really was a nuisance sometimes. Can't make a U-turn at an intersection without going into 3 lanes of traffic. This car also made parallel parking impossible. Other than those two things, I have nothing but good things to say about the car. I'm going to just gloss over the good things since there are so many. The looks and styling have aged very well. In 2014 the 3rd generation Mazda6 will be arriving but the 1st generation Mazda6 still looks sharp to this day. Long daily commutes have proven that the seats are more than comfortable enough and are very supportive. The interior is pretty spacious, though it feels closer to a compact car than a midsize by today's standards, which to be quite honest, is fine with me. One more thing I thought stood out was the quality of the stereo. The speakers and cd player are phenomenal, especially considering it's factory installed (and is not the BOSE stereo). All in all this was a great car that got me through the majority of my 20's. I can't say the same for all of my cars but I will be sad when I say goodbye to this car for good (which is mere days from now at the time of this writing). Mazda has been making exceptional products within the last ten years and I can't recommend this car or the company highly enough!"

This is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "Great on trunk space and comfortable."

Cons: "Beige interior gets dirty."

"My Mazda saved my life, if not for the durability of the car I would have lost my life. I enjoy driving this car on the highway, by far its speed, flexibility and comfort of driving this car is incredible. I would not trade it for anything else. I would like to congratulate the Mazda team for building such and incredible car. It saved my life,and even though my car is a total loss, I would like to thank everyone for giving me another chance at life."

Awesome

By on Monday, April 23, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, good MPG, good sound system"

Cons: "led for clock doesnt work properly"

"I bought my car used for $6,900 and have loved it for 2 years!!I have no problems in any weather with this car. It has always worked for me and it is a great car. It now has 135,000 miles and shows no sign of any problems"

LOVE MY MAZDA 6!!!

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros: "great style, great options, VERY reliable"

Cons: "not very tight turning radius"

"I just saw the note someone posted about how much they regret the purchase of their Mazda 6. It inspired me to write about how much I LOVE mine so people could know how great of a car they really are! Mine is an '06 and I bought it brand new. It has just over 99,000 miles on it now and it has been an amazing car. I have not had to do any major repairs on it except replacing the fuel filter last year. I have NEVER regretted purchasing my car. It has been VERY reliable for me. The ONLY issue I would say I have with it is the turning radius. It's not very tight so I have to do the whole back up and pull back in to park sometimes. But that's just if I'm making a tighter turn. Overall I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone!! They look great and run great!"

great car!

By on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"my wife was the one who wanted to look at this car to begin with. i didn't really have much interest in it but after driving it for 3 months i already know we made the right choice! i get excellent gas mileage and it rides so nice. i just wish it had a sunroof and external input for my ipod."

Very nice car's,

By on Monday, June 7, 2010

"I, have a 2005 i. and yes, it's been wonderful. i, really love this car."

Excellent value

By on Thursday, May 13, 2010

"An excellent value for our 2005 we got used from a co-working moving out of the country. The only things to be aware of are: turning radius is not tight, the stereo speakers are not the richest sounding and the car could have better side mirror visability. Overall this is a GREAT car and would highly recommend it anytime. The Mazda6s hatchback that we have has superior trunk storage room and makes the car very practical while looking like a race car - ZOOM, ZOOM!"

rented it, had to buy it!

By on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"After a car accident put me in the market for a new (to me!) car, I went to the rental agency and ended up riding out in a 2007 mazda6. After driving it for two days I began shopping for my own. I ended up with a 2004 with the sport package and have zero regrets. When I looked to buy one used I found almost none for sale in my area. There are certainly plenty on the road so this tells you that no owner will part with theirs. My boyfriend loves it so much he keeps urging me to get a second car so he can borrow it more. My only complaints are that the strereo went bad when the car was 5 years old. Also, the leather seats are slightly less roomy than the cloth ones in the 2007 were. Maybe this is a change between years or maybe its due to the interior. It was worth the loss of space for the heated seats. I can't imagine ever parting with this car. I get lots of compliments from passengers and colleagues. Everyone thinks I must have gotten a raise b/c of the hot new luxury car I am driving. Little do they know it is cheaper than a base model compact from most other automakers."

By on Monday, March 15, 2010

"I have a 2007 mazda6 sport and I love it. It gets awesome gas milage which is great because I travel back and forth to school everyday. It is a really comfortable ride very smooth and stylish. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for something dependable and stylish without breaking the bank. What can I say it's a great car and you can't beat the price!!!"

By on Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"i have owned for 6 years very reliable and practical with great handling, power, and fun to drive. great sproty styling as well"

2005 mazda 6-s Hatchback

By on Saturday, November 7, 2009

"Purchased this car for my wife as a birthday present. It was a great deal and has tons of included options-we do not have leather or nav but everything else. The ride is exceptional-braking is great, the stereo sounds terrific, the room in the back of the car when the seats are down is outstanding-58.7 cubic feet. The hatch back allows you to have the comfort and gas mileage of a mid-sized sedan, without having to get into an SUV. Very disappointed that Mazda did not continue a hatchback in their current 6 production series. The car has been very reliable-things that I don't like and they are minor-I don't like the dial controls-too confusing for heat and cooling, and fan. The back seats in this vehicle are not as comfortable as the 626 predecessor-because the hatch seats fold down flat, so passengers even though there is decent room in the back do not have as luxurious seating in the model previous. The stock tires, michellin are nice for the summer-but put snows on for safety and overall performance in the winter-the car handles great with them in the snow. Routine maintenance-oil changes every 5K, rotors at 43K-one interesting issue- we had a leak from the seam inside the engine compartment-efforts to have addressed revealed were it was coming in from, then we took it to the dealer, and they fixed it for a nominal cost. The mazda product is affordable and reliable-I think they are one of the best cars out there for the price, I have had three of them and all of them were great cars."

Electrical Issues

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Styling, strong engine and good brakes & steering"

Cons: "Electrical issues in general & poor headlights"

"Electrical issues are the problem: Poor headlights on low beam and next to impossible to replace the bulb yourself without tiny hands. Alternator replaced twice in last two years and now a recommendation to replace the computer from my mechanic who suggested that it was time to let go of this vechicle for good. Thought I could get 200,000 miles from it but not with a bum computer. On the plus side, a strong engine, good brakes and precise steering. I personally like the styling quite a bit and the car "fits" me well."

Speed6- Wish I could buy this brand new again

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "corners like a go-kart, very fast"

Cons: "Can't buy them new anymore"

"2007 Speed6. Love this car. Bought new in 2008.Very disappointed that Mazda changed the body style. Personally, I don't like the 2nd gen body style. I would buy another one of these if they were still making them. 98,000 miles and never once broke down. AWD is essential where I live. Awesome traction in snow(with real snow tires). Average 24.9 mpg on my 60 mile round trip to work. Very fun to drive. Six speed manual was the only transmission offered on this limited edition model, and its a joy to run through the gears. The ride is probably too firm for some, and there isn't much low end torque until the turbo is making some boost. The interior is not as spacious as some sport sedans, but I've taken 300 mile trips with adults in the back seat, with no major complaints. All in all, a very good value in a car that's somewhat rare."

Explanation of lower ratings/what i love about it

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, read review"

Cons: "read review"

"Quality: i rate this "9" because both front control arms have been replaced - the passenger side under warranty and they aren't cheap. Driving Dynamics: of the Mazda 3's and 6's (not Speed 6) this 6i model (sport) has the best pick-up; although, it hesitates a bit too much when you punch it. it is still better than the others, though. not bad, though, for a car that isn't really a sports car:-) love everything else about it- the styling, love the console, love all the cubby holes. my son drove it and liked it so well he traded his car in on one! awesome little car!"

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned!

By on Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, powerful engine, looks good"

Cons: "I haven't found any."

"I love my Mazda6! I keep all my maintenance service dates and this car is wonderful! It drives like a tank through snow (even though we haven't had much). I love the option of putting it in manual and changing gears (I miss the clutch though). This has been the best car I have ever owned!"