2005 Mazda MAZDA6

Based on 941 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Mazdaspeed6 - Completely different from the base 6

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pros: "Quality, handling, acceleration, feel, options"

Cons: "Styling a bit too conservative, stiff clutch"

"The Mazdaspeed6, while similar in appearance, is actually a completely different vehicle than the regular Mazda6. The difference between the two is not just cosmetic, nor that it just has a bigger engine and sportier suspension. It is much more than that. Up through the 2008 model year, the standard 6 was built in the U.S. alongside it's American "cousin" the Ford Fusion, and shares many characteristics with the Fusion. The speed 6 and the RX-8 were at the time the only Mazdas built in Japan by Mazda Motor Corporation, not by the Mazda-Ford joint venture. Mazda Motors focused on pure performance, and it shows with this vehicle. It may look like the standard 6, but it is a wolf in sheep's clothing. With 274 horsepower, 280 ft-lbs of torque, a turbocharged engine with direct injection, a standard 6-speed manual transmission (with no automatic option), a 0-60 time in the mid-5's, all-wheel drive, and handling very close to that of a pure sports car, the Mazdaspeed6 means business, and is for the serious driving enthusiast. It's conservative styling (which is actually a little TOO conservative) makes it an unassuming sleeper, and mine has eaten many Mustangs and WRX's for breakfast. But people who know this car, KNOW. But the fun thing about this car is the Jekyll and Hyde persona it has. It is also a very capable and comfortable commuter car, and with the AWD system and excellent traction and stability control system, is especially nice in snowy or rainy climates. The grand touring model has every comfort feature you could imagine, from heated seats, to power moonroof, Bose audio system, xenon headlamps, keyless entry/ignition, and many more. It is a luxury car with a sports car alter-ego. I will add also that it has been very reliable since I bought my 2007 model new in early 2008. If you ever have a chance to buy one of these, by all means do it. There just are not many other cars like it, and they only sold 10,000 in the U.S. for 2 model years (2006 and 2007). I like it every bit as much as I liked my RX-8 that I had before it, and even a little bit more because it is much more reliable and versatile."

Love this Car!

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "Style, Room, Reliability, Fun to drive, Sporty"

Cons: "Headlights difficult to change"

"I love this car. I wanted it ever since it came out on the market but it was expensive brand new so I purchased it 2 years old in 2007 and have had it for 5 years. I live in Buffalo and it holds up in the snow... I have a set of Blizzak snow tires that I switch on every year and put cinderblocks in the trunk to keep it weighed down. The gas tank is a great size for this car I don't drive to far to work less than 5 miles and I can normally get two weeks out of the tank without a problem. I like the sporty look and handling is great - I have the lifetime alignment package with Firestone that I use yearly due to the potholes created from the Buffalo winters. There is so much space in this car, I have the hatchback version and if you fold down the seats and remove the headrest from the passenger seat you can fit a 10ft drainage tube in your vehicle with the trunk closed, I have always impressed people with how much stuff I can fit into my car, firewood, construction materials, lumber, not that this is the best car for that sort of thing but for a novice person who likes to tinker around with projects this car is perfect, it has done the job for me and I plan to keep it as long as I can. The only problem that I ran into outside of normal maintenance is the lights are very difficult to replace I had one headlight go out and it was very tough to get to the lights and replace them - I took off my front wheels and removed the wheel wells (removed easily by clips - be sure to not break them or replace as needed) which gave me a lot more space to work with behind the lights, if you have to replace your lights I recommend doing it this way first its really easy to replace the lights once you open up the wheel wells. I hope this helps, I recommend ignoring the negative reviews, I love my Mazda and I am sure you will too!"

love it!

By on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

"This is a great car, have had it for 7 yrs w/o any problems and would get another if we didn't have kids and want a bigger car. The trunk is huge and it real nice. The back seats are big w/plenty of leg room as well as the front seats."

Love My Mazda 6

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"I bought my NEW 2004 Mazda 6S the last week of Jan 2005. I got a great deal on it since it was a previous model year still on the lot. Paid ~$5700 below sticker. Overall, I really love this car, but I'll start with the cons just to lay them out. Cons: I have the 3.0L V6. It's more sluggish than I'd expect from a 6-cyl. The low end torque just isn't there. The gear ratios for 4th and 5th aren't where I'd like them either. I usually skip 4th because it's not much use. 5th should bring the RPMs down farther at highway speeds... cranking >3500 at 60mph. Pros: The 5-speed is really fun to drive. Like most Mazdas, the engine really likes higher RPM's. Great pickup with RPM's 2500+. Tight steering and nice engine tone really make the car feel like it has more under the hood than it really does. The Bose stereo is decent. Leather seats are really comfortable. The car has been really solid. No problems to speak of aside from a squeak in the clutch & brake pedal that was fixed under warranty (degraded brake fluid TSB). The engine compartment is laid out well so it's fairly easy to maintain. My Mazda6 is silver with tinted windows and sports package w/spoiler. Looks great. If you want a reasonably-priced, fun-to-drive, anti-Accord sedan with Zoom-Zoom and room for the family too, this is the car for you."

Good vehicle, poor quality material

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Good price, great acceleration, comfortable drive"

Cons: "Poor quality materials, AC weak, mileage so so"

"I bought this car new and it has always had a quirk that no one could fix. It hesitates and then lurches slightly on inclines. Other than that it has been a great car to drive and has given me no mechanical trouble until recently. I wish I could say the same about the interior and side mouldings. Little by little things fell off or broke. The header fell in the front, then in the back, the storage box on the dash (poor placement directly in the sun) one hinge broke and then the other. The digital clock went out, the side mouldings fell off one by one (the adhesive gave out). Then both window motors went out."