2014 Mazda MAZDA5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,398 - $19,159.

10/7.0

8.1

Based on 32 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Basic, no frill "C" level car

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "seating for 6, quiet ride,"

Cons: "no storage w/all seats used, cheap cloth seats"

"This car is great if you have 2 kids and can leave the back seats folded down like a wagon for storage. It's good if you only carry additional children sometimes. If you are planning a 3rd child or 5 passengers, I would skip this car. With all seats up there is very little storage. A single Maclaren stroller can fit but forget any other type of stroller. I miss a trunk more than I thought I would. With 2 back seats, there is no 'middle' safer seat. My car has 33K miles on it and someplace after 20K started dropping gas mileage. Serviced regularly/tires inflated etc. Warranty conveniently expired now with no resolution. I haven't driven a big van but it is nice to drive forward and is easy to park between the huge cars/vans/SUVs most people have. It has a lot of windows and isn't much bigger than my old Honda Accord, but I feel like I can't see when backing up, especially with back seats up. Blind spots when switching lanes, especially to right,...even when doing shoulder checks. For the visibility reason, I wouldn't recommend this car. For 2 or 3 kids, I'd stick w/a regular car w/better gas mileage, more frills and probably the same or lesser cost. I've always had the lowest end model of cars...but this Sport version just feels 'cheap' inside. Cloth seats especially seem cheap and stain w/kids. Back rubber floor mats are nice!"

Great vehicle for a family of four

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Flexible seating, fun to drive, handles great"

Cons: "5 speed tranny, no power seat options,"

"I have owned my car for almost 3 years now and it has 82,500 miles. As a daily driver in mixed traffic situations I average between 23.5-25mpg. On a recent trip to Detroit mostly highway miles I averaged just over 30mpg @65mph. The car has plenty of storage and cubbies and my over 6 foot kids love to ride in the second row with the bucket seats and plenty of leg room. What drew me to the car was the value, interior flexibility between passengers and cargo and the size of the vehicle. The car is great to drive aggressively in curves and has plenty of pep to get your blood flowing if that is what you like to do. The interior cleans easily and getting into and out of the vehicle is easy with the dual sliding doors. The cons to this vehicle are the lack of power seats, front leg room, no power outlets for the second row and the 5 speed automatic transmission, an extra cog would improve gas mileage I believe."

Paint adhesion problem not covered by warranty

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "ease of access"

Cons: "poor paint adhesion"

"We have a 2013 Mazda5 Sport with 22,000 miles. The car has a serious paint adhesion problem. It has flaked off around the wheel wells to bare metal, and on both sides of the car from the rocker panels up about 18" on the doors. I have taken it to the dealer for warranty repair, and that was declined. I also called Mazda North America and requested warranty reaper, and they declined it too. We are very disappointed in the paint quality of this car and will not purchase another Mazda (we bought a CX-9 on the same day as the Mazda5 for about $60,000)."

A sports wagon in a minivan costume.

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "Handling, room, MPG, willing engine, great value"

Cons: "Options list a bit sparse, 3rd row seat is tight."

"This car is Mazda's best kept secret. I planned to buy a Mazda CX-5 until I drove the Mazda 5. It handles like my Audi wagon did and is just as easy to park, yet it's got room for 6 people or 97 cubic feet of cargo--that's full size SUV territory! I'm averaging 29 mpg and it's not even broken in yet. Oh, and you can easily buy one for well under $20k out the door. What's not to like? Sure it's not the sexiest car on the road, but if you can get past that superficial nonsense, you will quickly realize this is an astoundingly useful car at great price that is genuinely FUN to drive. I even got mine with slick-shifting 6 speed manual (don't worry, there's a fun "sport shift manual for you ninnies that can't handle a clutch) Listen, I'm a single guy and an avid driver, I don't have a baby-on-board sign and I love this car, that should tell you something. Don't punish yourself with an SUV or crossover with numb steering and a mashed potato suspension just because you need a roomy vehicle. If you're looking at SUV's because you need the room, but you don't NEED 4 wheel drive or off-road ability, do yourself a favor and take a serious look at the Mazda 5. Go for a test drive while you still can because Mazda is sadly discontinuing this model. A vigorous test drive of this car on a windy road WILL make you a believer in the Zoom-Zoom. You can chuck it into corners with near reckless abandon and it carves through them like a scalpel. You can take it down a 30 mph highway exit ramp at 55 mph with total confidence, no exaggeration. If you can find a car that does as many things as well as this one does for under $30-40K, then buy it. I promise you if you enjoy driving at all and you need a roomy car, you will NOT find a better value than this, period."

a quite good balance between price and functions

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "great price, roomy, and comfortable seats"

"I with my wife and two kids, 15 and 13, traveled around California, Oregon and Washington. Our Mazda 5 is fun to drive and very quiet. It is roomy for us to carry 4 big Baggage and 3 small ones in our trip."

The Tall Front Wheel Drive Miata Minivan

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "Price"

"“50/50 Weight Distribution” is touted as the all-encompassing term thrown around for balanced rear-wheel drive sports cars. Remember, this is the company that removes weight and simplifies with cars like the Mazda Miata, a car with 51%/49% weight distribution. Why hasn’t Mazda bragged about its sporty minivan's weight distribution? After many failed Google searches for “weight distribution Mazda5 NOT Miata”, I finally stumbled upon Consumer Reports, which reports that this vehicle has 51%/49% Front / Rear weight distribution. The engineers at Mazda have done well to keep the weight down. It’s the lightest vehicle with sliding doors and three rows of seats. The sliding doors are very light, so there is no need for heavy electric motors. "It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." Toss the 157hp Mazda5 into some tight curves and it will only beg to go faster. Sure everyone expects the boy racers in two door coupes, and sporty looking cars to tackle a corner with some zest. I think there’s something to be said about a vehicle with sliding doors, barreling down an onramp in second gear, screaming toward the redline to accelerate onto the highway as quickly as possible. I’ve passed a good number of German cars like BMW M3s, and Porsche 911s around two lane onramps. The double-take I get is priceless. After the my wife and son are tucked away at home, going for a late night drive for the heck of it still has some meaning. I have not given up on life by buying a Mazda5. My wife has brought a life into this world, and I picked a vehicle that allows me to maybe one day show my son that he doesn’t have to compromise passion for practicality."

I am disappointed overall

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "no room for purse,no glasses holders,"

"IT rides very smooth and has good power and pick up. Love the leather, heated seats and moon roof. Not near enough room in the front for anything, like glasses,or coffee, or your purse. I feel cramped compared to the Plymouth minivan. I also do not think it gets any better mileage than the 1999 minivan I had."

Excellent Family hauler, but know your priorities

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great drive, very functional."

Cons: "mpg / power trade-off could be be better"

"We just bought a 2013 Touring with the moonroof package. I commute 60+ miles every day, and I needed something efficient but also able to haul my kids around (they are 4, 2, and almost 1). We traded in a Nissan Armada, and I haven't had any regrets. This thing is genuinely fun to drive, and while I won't be winning any drag races, I smile in the turns. It is very easy to park, the little ones have no problem getting in and out, and I love driving it! The Mazda5 isn't fancy, but it does what it is meant to do extremely well. My advice to potential buyers is: know what you are getting. This is an economical, around-town, point-A-to-point-B gem; it isn't meant to be a large scale gear hauler like a regular minivan or a large SUV (unless you have a roof rack). One stroller and some groceries are no problem, but I would be hard pressed to fit my family of 5 inside along with weekend bags and a stoller. To be fair, however, I haven't tried."

Mazda5 - Solid family car option

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value for your money. fun to drive"

Cons: "front seats could be better"

"I have had the Mazda 5 for 4 months now and have put on 5000 miles and so far so good. First, my gripes. This car should get better gas mileage in this day in age. Slightly under powered when loaded up with the whole family and car top carrier. Stock tires are not that great, but have survived winter here in Wisconsin so far (is it over yet) We only have 2 children, if I had a third, which I will not, this car would not work. Now for the goods. Excellent handling for this type of car, actually fun to drive. Very versatile vehicle. Kid hauler, trips to the hardware store, moving furniture, etc. The GT model, which we bought has all the creature comforts, sans a rear camera and touch screen This is a niche vehicle and I knew this before purchasing. It is not for everyone but if you have only 2 kids to cart around, I think it is perfect. Roomy, decent on gas, fun to drive and versatile. Would I purchase this vehicle again, if the reliability holds true, heck yes!"

It meets my needs, for now

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "love the rear sliding doors, drives nicely"

Cons: "no rear heat, no cargo space when all 6 seats used"

"I have 3 kids, 16, 13 and 2. The back row seating is difficult (but not impossible) for anyone older than 10 or so to get to. I'm 5'2", average sized, and it was not comfortable to get back there at all. Once I was back there it wasn't bad LOL! The cargo area when all seats are occupied is extremely small. We could not take anything more than overnight trips as a family; there's not enough room for suitcases and bags. Once you fold down the back seats, the cargo area is nice, though a little irritating if something slips between the bucket seats onto the floor. I do LOVE the sliding back doors. Makes getting the 2 year old in and out of the car much easier! The driver's seat is comfortable, but I personally don't like the headrest. I felt like it was pushing my head and neck into an unnatural and uncomfortable position. That problem solved by turning the headrest around. It looks silly, but it works. I don't care for the armrests in the front. They get in the way if you need access to drinks in the cup holders, so I never use my armrest. Add another adult to the front seat, and it's very awkward to get to your drinks. I'm not crazy about the center storage between the seats - it barely holds a couple CDs and a sewing kit. The radio and 6 disc CD changer are nice - the sound took some getting used to. I never really use the Bluetooth- usually I have the kids with me and don't really like them listening in on the conversations. I like that it gives me the estimated miles left before the gas tank is empty. The AC works nicely, as well as the heater. One of my biggest complaints with it is that there is NO rear heat. It has rear air, but not heat. It takes twice as long to warm up the back of the car, and by the time they get warm, who ever is in the front seat has started cooking. Very frustrating. I have the moonroof, but rarely use it. I had to replace the front tires before 20,000 miles, and the rear tires shortly after. Overall, I wish I had shopped around a little bit before we purchased this little car."

Good gas mileage (25.3 mpg) wind noise problem

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage"

Cons: "Wind noise"

"Ruined 2 tires at 23000 miles account front end was not in alignment when purchased new even thou I rotated tire every 7500 miles. Mazda dealership informed me warranty would not cover new tires or alignment; was done on my dime. Dealership informed me I should have rotated every 5000 miles even thou owner's manual states every 7500 miles. Serious wind noise at highway speeds. Serious lack of power when 6 adults are on board."

fun to drive

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"Love this car - fun to drve. Handles very well. Interior design is awesome."

happy owner

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "flexible, meets lot of needs."

Cons: "wish the gas miliage was slightly better"

"Meets our needs with third row. Easy to drive, easy to park. Not great on gas, but not bad. Very happy. No thrills, but I bought it new for great price."

Very good car for the money

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

"Been a good car overall. Great for two kids we did get the optional DVD system. Works well but obscures rear visibility when I'm use. Would recommend checking other aftermarket options. Ours is the 6 spd manual, makes the car feel much quicker and fun to drive, although we've had some issues with it. Dealership has already had to replace 1-2 nd gear synchro. Some concern there maybe ongoing issues hopefully Mazda will take care of us. Other than that I believe the poor snow performance is more a tire issue since the bridgestones that came on the car are awful tires replace ours after 30k because felt downright dangerous in the rain. Lots of tread left too. Great fun to drive family car. Just don't let my wife hear you call it a minivan! Oh yeah, get the windows tinted much better looking and cooler"

Car does not perform well in snow or at night.

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "nice to drive in daylight on major highways"

Cons: "Only one electrical port in front cabin."

"Positive reviews: The Mazda 5 grand touring offers a lot of standard features and has plenty of power.The engine and transmission is smooth and the ability to shift it like a manual transmission is very useful if you have to descend a lot of hills. Very comfortable to drive on long trip. Negatives:Low beam headlights are terrible on country roads.You can't see 30-40 yards in front on a undulating road.The car is terrible in snow.The traction control kicks in on a hill and slow the car down to the point where you have to turn around and go back,turn the traction control off and hope you can make it. Don't buy it if you live in the country where it snows."

THIS VAN DRIVES SO WELL - A PLEASURE NOT A CHORE!

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE, HANDLES LIKE OUR LEXUS - CAN YOU BE"

Cons: "WISH IT HAD BUILT IN NAVIGATION"

HUGE ROOM INSIDE W/ SEATS DOWN - THAT'S WHAT WE LOVE THE MOST!

"WE COMPLETELY LOVE OUR MAZDA 5 GRAND TOURING. IT WAS CHEAPER THAN THE OTHER MINIVANS THAT WE LOOKED AT W/ LEATHER."

HUGE ROOM INSIDE W/ SEATS DOWN - THAT'S WHAT WE LOVE THE MOST!

Love this car!

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "roomy, great gas mileage"

Cons: "loud at times, fabric seats"

"I downsized to the Mazda 5 from a minivan and glad i did. Comparitively it gets much better gas mileage. It fits all of my children without too much complaints:) I wish i would have upgraded the fabric seats- with children they are hard to clean and soil easily. It can be loud when on the highway but we turn the radio on which cures the annoyance of the sound. It was a great price for this car that seats 6!"

Love It!!!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable and smooth driving"

Cons: "gas mileage..air does not blow out well"

"Very comfortable,drives awesome. The gas mileage is not great I get about 22mpg and the air does not blow out very good. overall I would recommend it to anybody!"

Exceeds My Expectations

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Agile, stylish family vehicle"

Cons: "No cover on centre console, steering wheel design"

"I know a lot of people who have this car and love it, so when I had a child and needed more space, it was a logical choice. Safety rating, value, and gas mileage were important considerations. Gas mileage isn't as good as the Honda Civic I was driving previously, but that's to be expected. This car makes great use of space, nothing is wasted. The rear-most seats are probably best for kids; my husband and I are both tall, and find the headroom great but leg room lacking back there. The rest of the seating is very roomy. I love that the second row of seats are buckets rather than bench. I drive a lot, and the built-in bluetooth is great for that. The sound system is good enough for me and the heated front seats are a nice touch. As for the exterior, the new Nagare styling is a definite improvement, and the sliding side doors are brilliant. My only gripes: 1) I'm not a fan of the steering wheel which forces my hands into the 2 and 10 position due to the lower crossbar. I can't drive with one hand on the bottom of the wheel which is my preference (not correct I know, but been driving like that for years) and 2) I wish the centre console storage had a lid instead of being completely open. I don't like seeing all the junk I store in there and would rather have the ability to cover it up. I would recommend getting the back windows tinted, which we did. I wish I had sprung for the roof rack."

Great car for $20k

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive AND practical (who knew?)"

Cons: "Air conditioner not big enough for Texas"

"The only downside of the car is the A/C. Even with windows tinted as dark as the law allows, it takes a long time to cool down in Texas summers. Our 20' long Suburban easily cools in 1/3 of the time. That's a big let-down and I'll be hunting for some sort of band-aid to remedy it. Wifey spends her time tooling about the 'burbs with 4-yr old, 2-yr old, and 3-mo old kids. She was driving the Suburban (I'm in that now) and loves the Mazda's ease of parking, maneuvering, and ingress/egress for the kids. No worries of them falling on their heads from 4' up in the air like the Suburban. Two kids ride in the middle row with oldest in back. Half of rear seat is folded down for stroller. Groceries fit on the floor. It's no road machine for 5 w/ luggage, but that's why we have a Suburban. Around town, we only use the Mazda 5. And as a truck guy, I'll admit publicly it ACTUALLY IS FUN TO DRIVE."

Not up to par

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, versatility,"

Cons: "POOR GAS MILEAGE, lacks features,"

"Extremely dissatisfied with gas mileage. Approximately 4 mpg less than posted mileage on highway, city, and all around. No help from Mazda. Sporty to drive, but not as much as previous model. Lacks features found on pre 2012 model. Do like size and overall sportiness. Doesn't seem as peppy as previous model."

Great family car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

"I have three kids and we bought this car brand new around Thanksgiving last year. After driving it seven months, it has definitely grown on me. At first glance, when we were looking to buy my instinct was that it was way too small. I think it's that full-size minivan mentality I had, which meant that anything smaller wasn't going to work, but I have been shown wrong! My husband felt that the price was right and it seats everybody. I have my six-year-old in the third row in a backless booster (Harmony brand), my six-month-old daughter in the second row, rear facing in a Graco SnugRide, behind the driver. And my three-year-old rides front facing in the second row in his enormous, heavy Graco Nautilus car seat. The second row seats slide easily forwards and backwards to allow for room for my six year old to climb in the back. He can also operate the sliding doors by himself as well as climb in through the hatch and buckle himself in. We haven't taken it on a long road trip yet, but when we do, we are planning to get a roof rack. Our family of five goes grocery shopping together and we find plenty of room between seats and on the floor, as well as when half of the third row is down, to stuff grocery bags. Furthermore, a double stroller can fit behind the third row. I was skeptical and it does take a little ingenuity and perfect positioning, but I can get my Joovy Caboose Sit-and-Stand behind third row with both seats up. I do have to take the sunshade off but it works. So, pretty cool, huh? This car has been an affordable, great fit for our family and as our kids age out of car seats, it will work even better and be even more flexible. ONe more thing: I have used the back half of the third row folded down as a place to change my infant daughter but I've also used the second row captain's chair folded down as a changing "bench", too. Like I said, this car has surprised me with its flexibility. To be honest, I do sometimes wish I had more room behind that third row but after eight months of ownership I have yet to be in a situation where it absolutely didn't work. I have always been able to make the people/cargo calculus work out. Best wishes on your car shopping for your family."

Best vehicle I ever owned!

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

"I have always owned American cars but Consumer Reports Magazine highly rated the Mazda 5 so I test drove it. I fell in love with it instantly! It does not disappoint! Smooth ride, comfortable, lots of room, and good gas mileage for its class of car!"

MAZDA5 GT - GREAT FAMILY FRIENDLY HAULER!!!

By on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pros: "FUNE TO DRIVE, SEATS 6, SLIDING DOORS, SAFE"

Cons: "NONE SO FAR"

"I have owned the Mazda5 Grand Touring for 10 months and it has grown on me. I have 3 kids and it is great for hauling a family of 5 around town. The sliding doors make it very easy to get the kids in and out, the gas mileage suits my budget and the zoom-zoom driving appeal keeps the Mazda5 from being anything but boring. The leather heated seats, rain sensing wipers and moonroof give me the same sporty options found on a more expensive vehicle at an even greater value. This Mazda is an overall winner and a very functional multi-purpose vehicle. I have not experienced any problems whatsoever and highly recommend the Mazda to those budget minded families, like mine, that need a larger vehicle without the large price tag."

I lov this car is my liltle baby

By on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pros: "Great price cheap one"

Cons: "I lov because have cup holder in everything seat"

"Hi i have 4 kids ages4,6,13,14 this car is perfect for my family the space is increible im 6.2 tall im fit good all my girl are tall and the space is perfect when we going to the trip i buy the rack for the roof and put everything on top of my car i lov my car is dynamic look like racing car i put all my windows black make a diferent on this car"