2012 Mazda MAZDA5

8.2

Based on 34 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

A bit boring but an excellent car

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"Really good value for money. As far as minivans go, this one's the only one I would consider. Easy to forget that it's so big since it handles so smoothly."

Great car, but poor collision results

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, functionality"

Cons: "safety, ride noise"

"This really is an excellent vehicle - good on gas, no problems at all, nice ride, excellent handling in emergency situation and very functional with 3rd row seats. BUT, it failed the latest offset crash and side impact testing, so I must get a vehicle that has better safety."

Basic, no frill "C" level car

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "seating for 6, quiet ride,"

Cons: "no storage w/all seats used, cheap cloth seats"

"This car is great if you have 2 kids and can leave the back seats folded down like a wagon for storage. It's good if you only carry additional children sometimes. If you are planning a 3rd child or 5 passengers, I would skip this car. With all seats up there is very little storage. A single Maclaren stroller can fit but forget any other type of stroller. I miss a trunk more than I thought I would. With 2 back seats, there is no 'middle' safer seat. My car has 33K miles on it and someplace after 20K started dropping gas mileage. Serviced regularly/tires inflated etc. Warranty conveniently expired now with no resolution. I haven't driven a big van but it is nice to drive forward and is easy to park between the huge cars/vans/SUVs most people have. It has a lot of windows and isn't much bigger than my old Honda Accord, but I feel like I can't see when backing up, especially with back seats up. Blind spots when switching lanes, especially to right,...even when doing shoulder checks. For the visibility reason, I wouldn't recommend this car. For 2 or 3 kids, I'd stick w/a regular car w/better gas mileage, more frills and probably the same or lesser cost. I've always had the lowest end model of cars...but this Sport version just feels 'cheap' inside. Cloth seats especially seem cheap and stain w/kids. Back rubber floor mats are nice!"

Great vehicle for a family of four

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Flexible seating, fun to drive, handles great"

Cons: "5 speed tranny, no power seat options,"

"I have owned my car for almost 3 years now and it has 82,500 miles. As a daily driver in mixed traffic situations I average between 23.5-25mpg. On a recent trip to Detroit mostly highway miles I averaged just over 30mpg @65mph. The car has plenty of storage and cubbies and my over 6 foot kids love to ride in the second row with the bucket seats and plenty of leg room. What drew me to the car was the value, interior flexibility between passengers and cargo and the size of the vehicle. The car is great to drive aggressively in curves and has plenty of pep to get your blood flowing if that is what you like to do. The interior cleans easily and getting into and out of the vehicle is easy with the dual sliding doors. The cons to this vehicle are the lack of power seats, front leg room, no power outlets for the second row and the 5 speed automatic transmission, an extra cog would improve gas mileage I believe."

Paint adhesion problem not covered by warranty

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "ease of access"

Cons: "poor paint adhesion"

"We have a 2013 Mazda5 Sport with 22,000 miles. The car has a serious paint adhesion problem. It has flaked off around the wheel wells to bare metal, and on both sides of the car from the rocker panels up about 18" on the doors. I have taken it to the dealer for warranty repair, and that was declined. I also called Mazda North America and requested warranty reaper, and they declined it too. We are very disappointed in the paint quality of this car and will not purchase another Mazda (we bought a CX-9 on the same day as the Mazda5 for about $60,000)."