2012 Mazda MAZDA5

8.1

Based on 32 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Basic, no frill "C" level car

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "seating for 6, quiet ride,"

Cons: "no storage w/all seats used, cheap cloth seats"

"This car is great if you have 2 kids and can leave the back seats folded down like a wagon for storage. It's good if you only carry additional children sometimes. If you are planning a 3rd child or 5 passengers, I would skip this car. With all seats up there is very little storage. A single Maclaren stroller can fit but forget any other type of stroller. I miss a trunk more than I thought I would. With 2 back seats, there is no 'middle' safer seat. My car has 33K miles on it and someplace after 20K started dropping gas mileage. Serviced regularly/tires inflated etc. Warranty conveniently expired now with no resolution. I haven't driven a big van but it is nice to drive forward and is easy to park between the huge cars/vans/SUVs most people have. It has a lot of windows and isn't much bigger than my old Honda Accord, but I feel like I can't see when backing up, especially with back seats up. Blind spots when switching lanes, especially to right,...even when doing shoulder checks. For the visibility reason, I wouldn't recommend this car. For 2 or 3 kids, I'd stick w/a regular car w/better gas mileage, more frills and probably the same or lesser cost. I've always had the lowest end model of cars...but this Sport version just feels 'cheap' inside. Cloth seats especially seem cheap and stain w/kids. Back rubber floor mats are nice!"

Great vehicle for a family of four

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Flexible seating, fun to drive, handles great"

Cons: "5 speed tranny, no power seat options,"

"I have owned my car for almost 3 years now and it has 82,500 miles. As a daily driver in mixed traffic situations I average between 23.5-25mpg. On a recent trip to Detroit mostly highway miles I averaged just over 30mpg @65mph. The car has plenty of storage and cubbies and my over 6 foot kids love to ride in the second row with the bucket seats and plenty of leg room. What drew me to the car was the value, interior flexibility between passengers and cargo and the size of the vehicle. The car is great to drive aggressively in curves and has plenty of pep to get your blood flowing if that is what you like to do. The interior cleans easily and getting into and out of the vehicle is easy with the dual sliding doors. The cons to this vehicle are the lack of power seats, front leg room, no power outlets for the second row and the 5 speed automatic transmission, an extra cog would improve gas mileage I believe."

Paint adhesion problem not covered by warranty

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "ease of access"

Cons: "poor paint adhesion"

"We have a 2013 Mazda5 Sport with 22,000 miles. The car has a serious paint adhesion problem. It has flaked off around the wheel wells to bare metal, and on both sides of the car from the rocker panels up about 18" on the doors. I have taken it to the dealer for warranty repair, and that was declined. I also called Mazda North America and requested warranty reaper, and they declined it too. We are very disappointed in the paint quality of this car and will not purchase another Mazda (we bought a CX-9 on the same day as the Mazda5 for about $60,000)."

A sports wagon in a minivan costume.

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "Handling, room, MPG, willing engine, great value"

Cons: "Options list a bit sparse, 3rd row seat is tight."

"This car is Mazda's best kept secret. I planned to buy a Mazda CX-5 until I drove the Mazda 5. It handles like my Audi wagon did and is just as easy to park, yet it's got room for 6 people or 97 cubic feet of cargo--that's full size SUV territory! I'm averaging 29 mpg and it's not even broken in yet. Oh, and you can easily buy one for well under $20k out the door. What's not to like? Sure it's not the sexiest car on the road, but if you can get past that superficial nonsense, you will quickly realize this is an astoundingly useful car at great price that is genuinely FUN to drive. I even got mine with slick-shifting 6 speed manual (don't worry, there's a fun "sport shift manual for you ninnies that can't handle a clutch) Listen, I'm a single guy and an avid driver, I don't have a baby-on-board sign and I love this car, that should tell you something. Don't punish yourself with an SUV or crossover with numb steering and a mashed potato suspension just because you need a roomy vehicle. If you're looking at SUV's because you need the room, but you don't NEED 4 wheel drive or off-road ability, do yourself a favor and take a serious look at the Mazda 5. Go for a test drive while you still can because Mazda is sadly discontinuing this model. A vigorous test drive of this car on a windy road WILL make you a believer in the Zoom-Zoom. You can chuck it into corners with near reckless abandon and it carves through them like a scalpel. You can take it down a 30 mph highway exit ramp at 55 mph with total confidence, no exaggeration. If you can find a car that does as many things as well as this one does for under $30-40K, then buy it. I promise you if you enjoy driving at all and you need a roomy car, you will NOT find a better value than this, period."

a quite good balance between price and functions

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "great price, roomy, and comfortable seats"

"I with my wife and two kids, 15 and 13, traveled around California, Oregon and Washington. Our Mazda 5 is fun to drive and very quiet. It is roomy for us to carry 4 big Baggage and 3 small ones in our trip."