2012 Mazda MAZDA5

8.4

Based on 25 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Love It!!!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable and smooth driving"

Cons: "gas mileage..air does not blow out well"

"Very comfortable,drives awesome. The gas mileage is not great I get about 22mpg and the air does not blow out very good. overall I would recommend it to anybody!"

Exceeds My Expectations

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Agile, stylish family vehicle"

Cons: "No cover on centre console, steering wheel design"

"I know a lot of people who have this car and love it, so when I had a child and needed more space, it was a logical choice. Safety rating, value, and gas mileage were important considerations. Gas mileage isn't as good as the Honda Civic I was driving previously, but that's to be expected. This car makes great use of space, nothing is wasted. The rear-most seats are probably best for kids; my husband and I are both tall, and find the headroom great but leg room lacking back there. The rest of the seating is very roomy. I love that the second row of seats are buckets rather than bench. I drive a lot, and the built-in bluetooth is great for that. The sound system is good enough for me and the heated front seats are a nice touch. As for the exterior, the new Nagare styling is a definite improvement, and the sliding side doors are brilliant. My only gripes: 1) I'm not a fan of the steering wheel which forces my hands into the 2 and 10 position due to the lower crossbar. I can't drive with one hand on the bottom of the wheel which is my preference (not correct I know, but been driving like that for years) and 2) I wish the centre console storage had a lid instead of being completely open. I don't like seeing all the junk I store in there and would rather have the ability to cover it up. I would recommend getting the back windows tinted, which we did. I wish I had sprung for the roof rack."

Great car for $20k

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive AND practical (who knew?)"

Cons: "Air conditioner not big enough for Texas"

"The only downside of the car is the A/C. Even with windows tinted as dark as the law allows, it takes a long time to cool down in Texas summers. Our 20' long Suburban easily cools in 1/3 of the time. That's a big let-down and I'll be hunting for some sort of band-aid to remedy it. Wifey spends her time tooling about the 'burbs with 4-yr old, 2-yr old, and 3-mo old kids. She was driving the Suburban (I'm in that now) and loves the Mazda's ease of parking, maneuvering, and ingress/egress for the kids. No worries of them falling on their heads from 4' up in the air like the Suburban. Two kids ride in the middle row with oldest in back. Half of rear seat is folded down for stroller. Groceries fit on the floor. It's no road machine for 5 w/ luggage, but that's why we have a Suburban. Around town, we only use the Mazda 5. And as a truck guy, I'll admit publicly it ACTUALLY IS FUN TO DRIVE."

Not up to par

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, versatility,"

Cons: "POOR GAS MILEAGE, lacks features,"

"Extremely dissatisfied with gas mileage. Approximately 4 mpg less than posted mileage on highway, city, and all around. No help from Mazda. Sporty to drive, but not as much as previous model. Lacks features found on pre 2012 model. Do like size and overall sportiness. Doesn't seem as peppy as previous model."

Great family car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

"I have three kids and we bought this car brand new around Thanksgiving last year. After driving it seven months, it has definitely grown on me. At first glance, when we were looking to buy my instinct was that it was way too small. I think it's that full-size minivan mentality I had, which meant that anything smaller wasn't going to work, but I have been shown wrong! My husband felt that the price was right and it seats everybody. I have my six-year-old in the third row in a backless booster (Harmony brand), my six-month-old daughter in the second row, rear facing in a Graco SnugRide, behind the driver. And my three-year-old rides front facing in the second row in his enormous, heavy Graco Nautilus car seat. The second row seats slide easily forwards and backwards to allow for room for my six year old to climb in the back. He can also operate the sliding doors by himself as well as climb in through the hatch and buckle himself in. We haven't taken it on a long road trip yet, but when we do, we are planning to get a roof rack. Our family of five goes grocery shopping together and we find plenty of room between seats and on the floor, as well as when half of the third row is down, to stuff grocery bags. Furthermore, a double stroller can fit behind the third row. I was skeptical and it does take a little ingenuity and perfect positioning, but I can get my Joovy Caboose Sit-and-Stand behind third row with both seats up. I do have to take the sunshade off but it works. So, pretty cool, huh? This car has been an affordable, great fit for our family and as our kids age out of car seats, it will work even better and be even more flexible. ONe more thing: I have used the back half of the third row folded down as a place to change my infant daughter but I've also used the second row captain's chair folded down as a changing "bench", too. Like I said, this car has surprised me with its flexibility. To be honest, I do sometimes wish I had more room behind that third row but after eight months of ownership I have yet to be in a situation where it absolutely didn't work. I have always been able to make the people/cargo calculus work out. Best wishes on your car shopping for your family."