2012 Mazda MAZDA5

8.4

Based on 25 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Excellent Family hauler, but know your priorities

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Great value, great drive, very functional."

Cons: "mpg / power trade-off could be be better"

"We just bought a 2013 Touring with the moonroof package. I commute 60+ miles every day, and I needed something efficient but also able to haul my kids around (they are 4, 2, and almost 1). We traded in a Nissan Armada, and I haven't had any regrets. This thing is genuinely fun to drive, and while I won't be winning any drag races, I smile in the turns. It is very easy to park, the little ones have no problem getting in and out, and I love driving it! The Mazda5 isn't fancy, but it does what it is meant to do extremely well. My advice to potential buyers is: know what you are getting. This is an economical, around-town, point-A-to-point-B gem; it isn't meant to be a large scale gear hauler like a regular minivan or a large SUV (unless you have a roof rack). One stroller and some groceries are no problem, but I would be hard pressed to fit my family of 5 inside along with weekend bags and a stoller. To be fair, however, I haven't tried."

Mazda5 - Solid family car option

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value for your money. fun to drive"

Cons: "front seats could be better"

"I have had the Mazda 5 for 4 months now and have put on 5000 miles and so far so good. First, my gripes. This car should get better gas mileage in this day in age. Slightly under powered when loaded up with the whole family and car top carrier. Stock tires are not that great, but have survived winter here in Wisconsin so far (is it over yet) We only have 2 children, if I had a third, which I will not, this car would not work. Now for the goods. Excellent handling for this type of car, actually fun to drive. Very versatile vehicle. Kid hauler, trips to the hardware store, moving furniture, etc. The GT model, which we bought has all the creature comforts, sans a rear camera and touch screen This is a niche vehicle and I knew this before purchasing. It is not for everyone but if you have only 2 kids to cart around, I think it is perfect. Roomy, decent on gas, fun to drive and versatile. Would I purchase this vehicle again, if the reliability holds true, heck yes!"

It meets my needs, for now

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "love the rear sliding doors, drives nicely"

Cons: "no rear heat, no cargo space when all 6 seats used"

"I have 3 kids, 16, 13 and 2. The back row seating is difficult (but not impossible) for anyone older than 10 or so to get to. I'm 5'2", average sized, and it was not comfortable to get back there at all. Once I was back there it wasn't bad LOL! The cargo area when all seats are occupied is extremely small. We could not take anything more than overnight trips as a family; there's not enough room for suitcases and bags. Once you fold down the back seats, the cargo area is nice, though a little irritating if something slips between the bucket seats onto the floor. I do LOVE the sliding back doors. Makes getting the 2 year old in and out of the car much easier! The driver's seat is comfortable, but I personally don't like the headrest. I felt like it was pushing my head and neck into an unnatural and uncomfortable position. That problem solved by turning the headrest around. It looks silly, but it works. I don't care for the armrests in the front. They get in the way if you need access to drinks in the cup holders, so I never use my armrest. Add another adult to the front seat, and it's very awkward to get to your drinks. I'm not crazy about the center storage between the seats - it barely holds a couple CDs and a sewing kit. The radio and 6 disc CD changer are nice - the sound took some getting used to. I never really use the Bluetooth- usually I have the kids with me and don't really like them listening in on the conversations. I like that it gives me the estimated miles left before the gas tank is empty. The AC works nicely, as well as the heater. One of my biggest complaints with it is that there is NO rear heat. It has rear air, but not heat. It takes twice as long to warm up the back of the car, and by the time they get warm, who ever is in the front seat has started cooking. Very frustrating. I have the moonroof, but rarely use it. I had to replace the front tires before 20,000 miles, and the rear tires shortly after. Overall, I wish I had shopped around a little bit before we purchased this little car."

Good gas mileage (25.3 mpg) wind noise problem

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage"

Cons: "Wind noise"

"Ruined 2 tires at 23000 miles account front end was not in alignment when purchased new even thou I rotated tire every 7500 miles. Mazda dealership informed me warranty would not cover new tires or alignment; was done on my dime. Dealership informed me I should have rotated every 5000 miles even thou owner's manual states every 7500 miles. Serious wind noise at highway speeds. Serious lack of power when 6 adults are on board."

fun to drive

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"Love this car - fun to drve. Handles very well. Interior design is awesome."