2010 Mazda MAZDA5 Consumer Reviews

Great Car for a Young Family of 4

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "cheap, fun, really roomy, Mazda driving experience"

Cons: "Avg MPG, low-profile tires, not good for 3+ kids"

"We've had our car a little over a year and put almost 20k on it. Pros - Fun to drive, Lots of cargo space for small footprint, Sporty-ish exterior, good value for the relatively-low purchase price, Love the sliding doors! Cons - MPG is unimpressive (23 avg for us), Driver's seat is pretty tight for large people, must use low-profile tires and they wear down quickly, interior is boring, 3rd-row seats only work for children All things considered we really like this car - it's literally the only car my wife has ever enjoyed driving! We can deal with the MPG although I miss the 32 MPG I was getting from the Accord this replaced. We really love the 2nd row for our kids (7&5): dual sliding doors are large and awesome, seats are roomy - great for car seats - and sit up nice and high, dedicated 2nd row cold air vent is great for warm summer weather. These 2nd row assets really set this above typical sedans in our mind, AND you get the expansive cargo room of a hatch-back with pop-up 3rd row if the grandparents ever need to ride with us. This wouldn't work for us if we had 3 kids, but we love it for our family of 4."

best family car

By on Monday, July 12, 2010

"Bought it because didn't want a minivan but needed a car for a family of 5. Never owned a Mazda before and was a bit reluctant to buy but did anyways. Really glad I did. In 2 years had no problems, so reliability it's been excellent so far. Performance is great. To those that say/think a 4-cylinder engine cannot have sufficient power I say: try the zoom-zoom. Even with 2 (big) adults, 2 young children and a teenager the engine is always on top of the situation, if anything too much so. I got 2 speeding tickets and I could barely feel like I was going 75 mph on the highway. The transmission is my favorite feature. In automatic mode it works great, very smooth and shifting up and down at the appropriate time, but to get teh most out of it use it in manual mode. My wife just didn't want to deal with it until I made her try. Now she is always in manual too and loves to shift down when slowing before a turn, makes her feel like she is "in control" of the vehicle. Fuel mileage is great both in the city and the highway mostly because the engine is so peppy that you need to use a minimum of the gas pedal at anytime. The car being so light also helps a lot to keep fuel burn down. The only thing I didn't like was the brakes but when time came to replace them I just had premium rotors and pads (350$) installed and now the car stops on a dime. Trunk space is great with the rear seats down but limited if 6 passengers on board. If you need lots of trunk space and normally have 6 people on board then you need a full size minivan. The ride is quiet inside the car and very comfortable for everybody, however the 3 row seats are good for children up to 9-10 years old, after that they would be cramped. The 2nd row seats are fine for kids or adults and the driving seat is comfortable for me (6'3" and 210 lbs). I love the "sit-high" stance compared with my other car (Ford taurus) where I seat much lower. Air conditioner is good for front and middle seats but in the summer cool the car down for a few minutes before driving if you have 5 or 6 people riding. I really like this car bause it saved me a ton of money first when I purchased it and then every time at the pump, and has delivered everything that was supposed to."

Very practical, unlike any other

By on Sunday, November 01, 2009

"Bought a 2008 Touring model used with 33,000 miles on it for $15k and have now owned it for approximately 3 months. All in all, I really like this car but will stop short of declaring neverending love and devotion. The fuel economy is pretty darned good. I do love the utility of the sliding doors (especially with kids in carseats!) and that the rear windows go down. And I love that it doesn't look or feel like a minivan. Everyone is shocked when I tell them that it's technically a minivan. Personally, I think of it as a crossover with sliding doors. As other reviews will note, the third row is a joke. We have used it once in a pinch, and it's OK, but 99% of the time, it is folded down so we can actually have useful space in the back. My biggest complaint about the car is the lack of any storage for the driver! Where am I supposed to put my sunglasses? A pen? Coins for tolls? A map? (The map pocket is behind the driver's seat - should be the passenger seat so I can actually reach it from the driver's seat.) I can't fit much in the door pockets, either, and the glove box is pretty much filled up with just the manual in there. NONE of the storage compartments are covered, so there's no easy way to hide my phone while I run into a convenience store or something. Even the power outlet is in an inconvenient location, because the cord starts to get in the way of the cup holders. I have noticed a squeaking/grinding noise with the brakes, but I've been assured by the dealer and an independent party that they are fine. Still investigating that noise. So, while I don't love it, I don't think there would have been another car to fit our needs (Crossovers have sliding doors and worse fuel economy; SUVs cost much more and also have worse fuel economy; a regular sedan wouldn't be big enough, a "real" minivan would be WAY too big and, again, poor fuel economy). I do hope there are more options like this when I make my next car purchase, because the idea is sound but there are many tweaks that could make the everyday driving experience much better"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted