2010 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 247 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great car, versatile, fun, good value

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Handling, versitility,"

Cons: "Traction when starting, rack noise, gas milage"

"I bought this new at the end of 2008. Found it by accident while checking legroom on the 3, and CR7. I was comparing it to Fits, and used minivans. More fun to drive than my Odyssey (which I still like a lot). Handles great. A bit slow on accel response in auto, but switching to manual mode fixes that. Over torqued at the low end, it is pretty easy to spin the tires at a stop sign, especially when wet. Interior space is excellent. I am 6'4" and can wear a cowboy hat in the drivers seat. I fit reasonably in the second row of seats also. The third row is only big enough for kids under 11. Second row cup holders are in the fold out center console. There is always something in the back, my mtn bike, sports gear bags, kids, groceries etc. It all fits. The seats fold to a flat surface. The tailgate is easy to open with full hands. Unusually loud noise using my thule rooftop rack, compared to having it on an Accord, Bonneville, Catera, and Odyssey. Unbearable over 35 mph. I resorted to homemade streamling the bars. Aero style bars might work better. Gas milage is ok, about the same as the Odyssey."

love Love LOVE this car!

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Great Value; Roomy; Fun Drive;Terrific Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Rear should also heat, not just a/c."

"Car has been in two accidents and had things replaced like shocks, bearings, and engine mounts but overall I still Love this car (bought new in 2009). I am a "voluptuous" woman and do not feel 'cramped' in the car. The versatility of having three rows of seating is wonderful. They fold flat when needed which turns my car into a bit of truck for hauling mulch and bicycles. I get about 330 miles to a tank with a mixture of city & highway driving. Draw backs are rear vent system only does A/C and not heat. Seems to go through tires quickly."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfy! Great with gas!"

Cons: "a little more room for 3rd row legs lots to clean"

"Great car! Very convenient! Has no astray or lighter but I like that!"

Not really satisfied with this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks good, price is fair."

Cons: "Uncomfortable, blinds spots, small gas tank."

"Here are the reason I'm not satisfied with this vehicle. 1-Blind spots. I've never had a vehicle with so many blind spots. 2- Cockpit is designed for a small person not an average person. 3-Middle row has no cup holder. Come on, we are in the 21st Century. This model has been out since 2006 so you would think they could have improved this situation. I have yet to back up straight, as all other cars I have driven (24) you follow the body line and you back up straight, not this vehicle. Mileage is not so good, not as advertised, highway or city driving."

I feel smart when I drive mine

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "stickshift, value, versatility, cost of ownership"

Cons: "The carpet could be more durable"

"I bought my 06 Mazda5 Sport new in 2006. I had looked at the 5 for some time before making the purchase and tested it against the sportier Mazda3 hatchback. I purchased the 5 primarily because of it's incredible value....the features available for such a low price was so impressive. I have only had one unscheduled service stop when the air conditioning compressor failed prematurely at approximately 27000 miles. The wait for a replacement was inordinately long but it has worked perfectly since....blasting cold air on the hottest summer day in Buffalo. The fix was graciously covered under warranty. Since the ac fix, I have had only one unscheduled repair stop on my 5-speed manual equipped Mazda5. I have replaced the tires at least four times (value tip: ask for all-season tires....they cost far less than the standard sport tires) although the handling does suffer a little bit. I replaced the rear shocks around the 120000 mile mark. I replaced the brake pads only once around 80000 miles. I have had zero problems otherwise. I like the utility and versatility of the Mazda5. I have hauled large pieces of furniture with ease....I even hauled a full-size refrigerator from Buffalo to Toronto last year. I seldom have more than four people in my vehicle so the back seats spend most of their time folded flat. The cargo shield behind the third row seats is brilliant and makes hauling delicate items very worry-free. I am also still impressed with my vehicle's road manners. The car handles better than most sedans and even some sporty cars. The driving position is commanding, the manual seat adjusters are intuitive to use and the instrument panel is very well laid out and distraction-free. The only gripe I have is that the instrument panel lighting is less than adequate. I have friends who have traveled throughout Europe and enjoy renting sporty cars that we can't get here. They always comment on how beautifully the 5 drives and handles and the 5-speed manual makes it even more engaging. I had one accident and one collision since 2006. I was struck from behind in a severe collision that did about $4000 damage to the back of my vehicle. The structural integrity held up beautifully despite the amount of damage. The car is still squeak and rattle free after 140000 miles (I wish I could say the same about my back.) I also had to replace the windshield three times. I once replaced the windshield due to my hitting a large piece of steel diamond plate that fell off a truck driving ahead of me in 4-lane, busy 75mph+ traffic (QEW in Toronto) I mention this because had I not been able to manoeuver as well the diamond plate would have gone through the windshield. I did hit the metal but it only tore the front bumper cover in half, smashed the grille, the plastic engine shroud and the radiator. The repairs were another $1700 but the car still drives like NEW! I currently have over 141,000 miles on my Mazda5. I paid it off over two years ago and I look forward to many more miles in what is unquestionably the best of 20+ cars I have owned over almost 30 years.....that list includes BMW, Honda, Mazda, Ford and Merkur(don't ask.) I feel intelligent everytime I drive! Oh, I forgot to mention that the fuel efficiency has been great, average of about 25mpg. Oh, and the turning circle is the smallest of any vehicle I have ever driven. Oh, and the car has maintained it's like new appearance and luster despite it's age. I could go on and on and on....."

One heck of a high mileage vehicle!

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Rough running tires, needs daytime lights"

"You may not believe this, but I'm getting ready to purchase my company vehicle that I've driven over 293,000 miles in four years since I received it as new. Other than the headlights burning out frequently, the power steering assist pump replaced under warranty, the a/c compressor replaced at 110,000 and routine maintenance it's been a great vehicle. As you can imagine, I was driving about 1,400 miles a week with mostly highway miles on cruise control. It averaged 27 mpg, with occasionally getting 30 mpg. Mazda should change the lower profile tires for more comfortable tires."

Bad suspension, sporty drive

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Sporty driving. Roomy. Nice handling."

Cons: "Suspension. Suspension. Suspension."

"Already replaced part of the suspension which seems designed for perfect roads only. Noisy over 60 mph. Excellent driving position and feels even sporty. Great at the pump, either if you drive it in town or travel. Allignment of wheels needed more frequently than in other models I had. Service costs at Mazda dealers quite affordable and justifies choice. A/C vents become noisier after some years."

Best bang for the buck.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "vibration, wind noise, tire wear unevenly"

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

"Mazda5 black, sport, has leather option, fun to shift manual. The rear sliding doors are great with my two young boys. Folding seats makes for plenty of room for gear. I can see over most traffic. I think high brake light on back make it easy to keep cars from tailgating. The tires are 205/50-17’s which I think is too sporty for a minivan. The ground clearance limits it to street driving though watch out for steep driveways. I have attempted to put snow chains and pretty much gave up as there’s little room to get your arm between the tire and wheel well. The 2.3 gas engine model averages 24-25MPG combined. The tire wear unevenly and there is no camber adjustment for rear suspension. There is a kit that can be installed for $700 by the pros."

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

Falling apart

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "MPG"

Cons: "Falling apart"

"We really loved this Mazda5 but at present I'm very unhappy with this vehicle. Vibration everywhere, steering, brakes, ETC. I have had it to the shop many times to find this vibration. Alignment good, tires balanced, on lift with car in gear you can see the front axles are warpped. Even though Mazda has issued a shop bulletin to this problem they have refused to take care of the problem. And to answer the question the car has not been wreck. Looking to get rid of soon since mazda wants to charge me $$$$$$$$$ to fix."

GREAT family vehicle

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

Pros: "6 passeger, great handling,versatile"

Cons: "road noise, lack of storage with 6 passengers"

"a bit short on storage if you have 6 passengers and the road noise is a bit bothersome, but a great car for families! We love the versatility. We have recommended the Mazda5 to several people."