2010 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Not really satisfied with this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks good, price is fair."

Cons: "Uncomfortable, blinds spots, small gas tank."

"Here are the reason I'm not satisfied with this vehicle. 1-Blind spots. I've never had a vehicle with so many blind spots. 2- Cockpit is designed for a small person not an average person. 3-Middle row has no cup holder. Come on, we are in the 21st Century. This model has been out since 2006 so you would think they could have improved this situation. I have yet to back up straight, as all other cars I have driven (24) you follow the body line and you back up straight, not this vehicle. Mileage is not so good, not as advertised, highway or city driving."

I feel smart when I drive mine

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "stickshift, value, versatility, cost of ownership"

Cons: "The carpet could be more durable"

"I bought my 06 Mazda5 Sport new in 2006. I had looked at the 5 for some time before making the purchase and tested it against the sportier Mazda3 hatchback. I purchased the 5 primarily because of it's incredible value....the features available for such a low price was so impressive. I have only had one unscheduled service stop when the air conditioning compressor failed prematurely at approximately 27000 miles. The wait for a replacement was inordinately long but it has worked perfectly since....blasting cold air on the hottest summer day in Buffalo. The fix was graciously covered under warranty. Since the ac fix, I have had only one unscheduled repair stop on my 5-speed manual equipped Mazda5. I have replaced the tires at least four times (value tip: ask for all-season tires....they cost far less than the standard sport tires) although the handling does suffer a little bit. I replaced the rear shocks around the 120000 mile mark. I replaced the brake pads only once around 80000 miles. I have had zero problems otherwise. I like the utility and versatility of the Mazda5. I have hauled large pieces of furniture with ease....I even hauled a full-size refrigerator from Buffalo to Toronto last year. I seldom have more than four people in my vehicle so the back seats spend most of their time folded flat. The cargo shield behind the third row seats is brilliant and makes hauling delicate items very worry-free. I am also still impressed with my vehicle's road manners. The car handles better than most sedans and even some sporty cars. The driving position is commanding, the manual seat adjusters are intuitive to use and the instrument panel is very well laid out and distraction-free. The only gripe I have is that the instrument panel lighting is less than adequate. I have friends who have traveled throughout Europe and enjoy renting sporty cars that we can't get here. They always comment on how beautifully the 5 drives and handles and the 5-speed manual makes it even more engaging. I had one accident and one collision since 2006. I was struck from behind in a severe collision that did about $4000 damage to the back of my vehicle. The structural integrity held up beautifully despite the amount of damage. The car is still squeak and rattle free after 140000 miles (I wish I could say the same about my back.) I also had to replace the windshield three times. I once replaced the windshield due to my hitting a large piece of steel diamond plate that fell off a truck driving ahead of me in 4-lane, busy 75mph+ traffic (QEW in Toronto) I mention this because had I not been able to manoeuver as well the diamond plate would have gone through the windshield. I did hit the metal but it only tore the front bumper cover in half, smashed the grille, the plastic engine shroud and the radiator. The repairs were another $1700 but the car still drives like NEW! I currently have over 141,000 miles on my Mazda5. I paid it off over two years ago and I look forward to many more miles in what is unquestionably the best of 20+ cars I have owned over almost 30 years.....that list includes BMW, Honda, Mazda, Ford and Merkur(don't ask.) I feel intelligent everytime I drive! Oh, I forgot to mention that the fuel efficiency has been great, average of about 25mpg. Oh, and the turning circle is the smallest of any vehicle I have ever driven. Oh, and the car has maintained it's like new appearance and luster despite it's age. I could go on and on and on....."

One heck of a high mileage vehicle!

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Rough running tires, needs daytime lights"

"You may not believe this, but I'm getting ready to purchase my company vehicle that I've driven over 293,000 miles in four years since I received it as new. Other than the headlights burning out frequently, the power steering assist pump replaced under warranty, the a/c compressor replaced at 110,000 and routine maintenance it's been a great vehicle. As you can imagine, I was driving about 1,400 miles a week with mostly highway miles on cruise control. It averaged 27 mpg, with occasionally getting 30 mpg. Mazda should change the lower profile tires for more comfortable tires."

Bad suspension, sporty drive

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Sporty driving. Roomy. Nice handling."

Cons: "Suspension. Suspension. Suspension."

"Already replaced part of the suspension which seems designed for perfect roads only. Noisy over 60 mph. Excellent driving position and feels even sporty. Great at the pump, either if you drive it in town or travel. Allignment of wheels needed more frequently than in other models I had. Service costs at Mazda dealers quite affordable and justifies choice. A/C vents become noisier after some years."

Best bang for the buck.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "vibration, wind noise, tire wear unevenly"

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

"Mazda5 black, sport, has leather option, fun to shift manual. The rear sliding doors are great with my two young boys. Folding seats makes for plenty of room for gear. I can see over most traffic. I think high brake light on back make it easy to keep cars from tailgating. The tires are 205/50-17’s which I think is too sporty for a minivan. The ground clearance limits it to street driving though watch out for steep driveways. I have attempted to put snow chains and pretty much gave up as there’s little room to get your arm between the tire and wheel well. The 2.3 gas engine model averages 24-25MPG combined. The tire wear unevenly and there is no camber adjustment for rear suspension. There is a kit that can be installed for $700 by the pros."

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

Falling apart

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "MPG"

Cons: "Falling apart"

"We really loved this Mazda5 but at present I'm very unhappy with this vehicle. Vibration everywhere, steering, brakes, ETC. I have had it to the shop many times to find this vibration. Alignment good, tires balanced, on lift with car in gear you can see the front axles are warpped. Even though Mazda has issued a shop bulletin to this problem they have refused to take care of the problem. And to answer the question the car has not been wreck. Looking to get rid of soon since mazda wants to charge me $$$$$$$$$ to fix."

GREAT family vehicle

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

Pros: "6 passeger, great handling,versatile"

Cons: "road noise, lack of storage with 6 passengers"

"a bit short on storage if you have 6 passengers and the road noise is a bit bothersome, but a great car for families! We love the versatility. We have recommended the Mazda5 to several people."

Needs auto headlights badly. safety hazard!

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Reason: no auto headlights in sport model

Pros: "Lots of conveniences like a/c in rear"

Cons: "wimpy in snow, no autoheadlights, too low to grnd"

"I agree with the person who said the van is too low to the ground and the worst experience I had with it was that it had lights on in the dash continuously, so I often forgot to put my lights on at night. I'm surprised no one else is bothered by this. It was too much of a safety hazard for me for the three years that I had it. Obviously, I test drove it during the day like most people do, but if I had known it didn't have auto headlights, I never would have. I was so glad to trade it in for a car with some meat on it that will handle wind and rain and of course snow- that of course being the Subaru Outback Limited. Pricier, but worth it."

Most practical vehicle

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "Practice and best value available."

Cons: "OEM TOYO tires."

"Have been very satisfied with vehicle since I purchased it new. No problems in 16K miles. Size of a small sedan and interior size of original Dodge caravan. Convienience of sliding doors and handling like a small sedan. Mileage from 23 to 31.7 with average of 26. Vehicle has adequate power but could use more, especially when fully loaded. A Mazda Speed3 engine would make a great option for performance and a diesel (which i believe is offered in other countries) should be offered for economy. Only complaint is excessive road noise from OEM (TOYO) tires which will be replaced by another brand."

Great Car for a familiy

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Great Car, lots of space, great for all ages"

Cons: "no rear AC, only one arm rest n front, small tires"

"Perfect family car but also practical for the college student! I had this car in college and thru my first family. Works great for traveling, lots of room. The storage spaces under the seat is great during shopping season. Only bad thing... Tires couldn't handle my driving. I needed something with bigger/thicker tires. The Mazda5 has sporty tires that can't handle bumps and bruises all too well... Overall it is a great car! Would recommend this car to all ages, all sizes!"

What a great design

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Handels great and has good visability"

Cons: "Hard to read displays in sunlight. Cannot use snow"

"Fun to drive, good visability, functional,love the sliding doors and not a huge van!"

grand touring a little low to the ground.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"other than having issues with front end low and hitting ground, great car."

Love my car!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Not a lot of space when 4 of us travel w/luggage."

"I love this car. It is perfect for a mom with two kids. They can each take a friend places and there is also room for our dog. It really drives like a car. I didn't want to give in to the mini-van lifestyle and this was the perfect choice! The sliding doors are also great; keep the kids from dinging cars parked next to us. And the price was right. I got the grand touring version, fully decked out with leather upholstery and MP3 hook up for under 23,000 (in 2007)."

Love this car

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"I love the style and convenience of this car however for some reason even after alignment the tires wear unevenly. Never had any major problems at besides when I bought the car w 30k miles there was a banging noise which turned out to be the bushings. Once I hit 100,000 miles I had to get a lot of maintenance done and also the check engine light came on because of the thermostat! This car requires low profile tires which are more expensive than regular tires so be forwarned about that because when I bought it I had no idea I was gonna have to pay 500 for new tires"

Bluetooth

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reason: Negatives become very annoying over time

Pros: "Handling and Steering Good"

Cons: "Electronic Options Need Work"

"The bluetooth functionality allowing you to make hands-free calls using the steering wheel stopped working after 1 month. I took it into the dealer who fixed it but then it happen again, and again, and again. I could never get it to work more than 2 weeks at a time. I finally gave up. The phone I am using is on the supported list and I was told it had nothing to do with my carrier or phone model. The DVD player works intermittently and will often not recognize DVDs even though my children watched the same DVD the day before in my home DVD player. It does not work well with the Satellite Radio. I often have to choose one or the other. I cannot put headphones on the kids to watch the DVD and listen to the radio myself. Over time, it seems to take longer to accelerate from 0 to 60. Consumer Reports says it takes 9.6 seconds. This was true when I initially purchased the car, but over time, my experience is closer to 12 seconds, which matters when you are trying to merge onto a busy interstate highway. I am up to date with all maintenance, so this is not the reason for the degrading performance. The tires do not last as long as advertised. I had to replace all 4 tires when I reached 18,000 miles. I am a fairly cautious driver, rarely driving over the speed limit and not an aggressive driver. I would hav expected the tires to last longer. The fit and finish inside the car also leaves something to be desired. I hit a pothole and panels popped out. It turned out that the panels were held together with nothing but double-stick tape. It was rather unnerving. I never came close to the EPA miles per gallon (MPG) estimate of 21 in city driving and 28 on the highway. It was more like 17 in city driving and 23 on the highway. Still good numbers, but not great. Handling and steering are good. It feels similar to driving a Honda, which is what I owned prior to buying this car. While the car is a good value from a sticker price perspective, the things I mentioned became major annoyances over time to where I regretted buying the car and could not wait to get rid of it."

Not reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "It was a nice car in the beginning!"

Cons: "The car is a piece of junk!"

"The car starting falling apart at 73000 miles. I have had it back to the dealer at least 8 times. They continue to tell me there is nothing wrong with it. It surges, dies when idleing. the motor mount is cracked (they wouldn't fix it while it was still under warranty, they said it wasn't broke only cracked)???? The fuel pump is going out, the seat belts will not retrack, the tensioner is broke and therefore the the airbags would not work. I am very disappointed and will NEVER buy a MAZDA again!"

great car

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "value for the price!"

"we love this car!"

The most useful car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Perfect family car."

Cons: "Not a sports car."

"This car handles well, is adequately powered, and is very versatile. The split seats in the 2nd row make this an extremely comfortable car for 4 people for a long trip. The seats in the 3rd row are "in a pinch" seats - kids and small adults only for an hour or less. Still it is nice to have that capability. With seats folded down it handles an amazing volume of cargo. The car has very predictable handling and reasonable road feel. The brakes are good. Acceleration is OK, but not like a sports car. Still, you can get on the highway without sweating bullets and it is pleasant to drive, even on a long trip. The controls are very well thought-out and convenient. Gas mileage is 26 in mixed urban/suburban, 30 on the highway. It says "hello" to you when you start it."

Great car!

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Worth the price, drives great, comfortable"

Cons: "Only way to heat back is through floor vents"

"Great car, reliable, havent had any issues with it. Drives GREAT! Doesnt feel like a van, you have a lot of control over it, very secure. Plenty of power, and I have been able to get into the 30s in MPG."

Love the car

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Safe and comfortable"

Cons: "NO heat in the back seats."

"I've had several cars and I think this has been my favorite. My daughter is learning to drive and I feel very comfortable with her driving it and knowing she will be safe. No blind spots, easy to handle etc. Only downfall to this vehicle is NO heat in the back. The only heat comes from under the front seats for the rest of the car. The dealership told me would be enough heat for them, but too large of space for little vents. People in front get hot and sweating before the others get any heat."

Mixed feelings.

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "Corner Handing."

Cons: "Rattles, Squeaks, Tire wear."

"Bought this car with 60k miles on it. This car eats tires like no other!! Paint is very cheap, starting to get HORRIBLE road rash on the hood. The locks are starting to give out on the rear doors, so I have to unlock them manually. Squeaks and rattles galore going over bumps. Im needing to replace all 4 struts as we speak. Front passenger side strut is blown and is leaking. Its time to trade her in for something other than a tin can. She has never left me stranded, well..one time. But, overall, its a fairly good car and I bought it because it was a steal. Hanldes corners well too!!"

Not as good as we thought

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

"we got a 2 year old and after a year, things started to fail: - AC controls (one of them does not lit at night) - Had to replace one rear strut - Sliding doors get stuck on cold weather and it's not even 32 F!! - Needed new tire pressure indicators - Third brake light stopped working and needs to replace the whole assembly costing 205 to do so. Car looks great and it's a delight to drive but our Mazda 3 is of much better quality than the 5."

Not so much!

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "Styling and gas mileage"

Cons: "Tires are too pricey, poor quality overall."

"I purchased this car new. I am very pleased with the styling and side slide door entry which is great for kid entry. The gas mileage is better than average as well. The issues I have with this car is the tires(high preformance which equals $$$$). The tires do not last and need replaced every 4-5 months. 4 tires for this car cost around $800. This is outrageous. The rim are also a problem as they are aluminum which is no match for Pennsylvania potholes. I have also had to have shocks and strutts replaced to the tune of 600 . This car gas proven to be a money pit!"

Good and Reliable

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "Affordable, good gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "Wimpy air, loud, cramped 3rd row"

"This car is all about the practical. Gas mileage is fabulous-better than most sedans. We have had no maintenance issues whatsoever. It is small, so you have to plan accordingly and the 3rd row is getting to be too cramped for our teens. It is not going to win any drag races, but no one buys a minivan to race anyway! The aerodynamics are great and help keep our gas bills low, but the car is unbearably noisy (almost deafening) when the backseat windows are open and you are going over 45 mph. The air conditioning (no rear air on our model) is wimpy and does not keep the backseat really cool (thus the windows), but overall, I cannot complain. This is a very affordable alternative to a big "mini" van or SUV."

Sporty for a minivan - Versatile - Lots of Goodies

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Excellent Value - fun to drive"

Cons: "Under powered - Slightly cheap feel"

"A great value Pros - lots of features, low price, sporty handling, looks, roomy and versatile, reliable, low maintenence, decent economy: Cons - underpowered, slightly cheap feel"