2010 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 246 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

noisy car

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "price"

Cons: "quality lacking"

"had some minor squeaks in the suspension when bought used, got much worse over time and needs full suspension work. is a common problem as these cars age, i never ever had a car do this before."

Worst Car Ever

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

"Only 8 years old and totally rusted through in the rear wheel wells and the rest of the paint is pitted with numerous chips & rust spots. On my 3rd suspension (struts & shocks) and 5th set of brakes. And to top it off, the sliding doors freeze shut in the winter which in upstate NY is a real issue. I'm very disappointed in the build quality. I'll never buy a Mazda again."

Good Little Car

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Cons: "easier access to the third row seating."

"Great for getting the grandchildren around town. Average leg room and ample head room. would purchase another one."

great car

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

"great car"

Overall good vehicle

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Plenty of interior space"

Cons: "Lots of road noise, especially on freeway"

"For driving around town or even for short weekend trips, this car is great! More space than a regular sedan without being huge like an SUV or minivan. Would NOT suggest for a weeklong road trip with 4 adults, however. Sometimes driving can be jerky, especially turns and stops, so not suggested for people that can get carsick. Handles fine in rain, slush, ice, and a little snow, but tends to drift and slide in deep snow."

Wife loves her "zoom zoom!"

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle for what it is"

Cons: "Needs about 20 more hp to get the real zoom-zoom!"

"Bought 2008 Mazda 5 for wife. Touring model with sunroof. Currently have nearly 93000 miles on it. Love it. Only complaint is engine is a bit small for this size vehicle, but for what we do with it, it's not a problem. It will cruise on the highway just fine. Interior is nearly perfect. Third-row of seats is definitely "kid only," but we hardly ever use them. No problems at all with power train. Only complaint is that Mazda decided to use low profile tires on this vehicle, and they don't last as long as I think they should. Got 30K out of the last set of Kumho's. Went to Pirelli's and ride quality improved immensely, so we will see how these last. We will be in the market for another one just like this one next year. BTW...a previous review mentioned that there were no vents in the rear for air. The 2008 has vents for the second row, but none for the third. No problem for us, as mentioned earlier, we don't use the third row often. One more small complaint...Mazda needs to put a power plug in the second row console or somewhere. There is one in the dash and one in the very back. Needs another one badly."

Great vehicle!

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "small, but fits lots of stuff/people;easy to drive"

Cons: "no air conditioning/heat vents for back rows"

"This car has been great! It's super reliable and comfortable. The back row of seats is small - adults can fit there, but it's not good for long rides. This model year did not have air conditioning vents for the back rows, so it can get pretty hot in any seats except the front row. I'm pretty sure they fixed that in the following model year. I love the fact that it's a small car, but has space for so much stuff. The seats all fold down easily in all sorts of configurations, so you can fit practically anything in the car. Also, it fits in any parking spot easily!"

Do not buy this piece of junk

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Good price"

Cons: "Everything else"

"This is the most unstable car you can own. The car is not stable and does not give you the sense of control. The breaking is horrible. Good luck stopping the car on a short notice. The breaks just dont work if you have to stop quickly."

It's been a great car

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

"I bought this car new. I have a long commute and 4 kids, so having a car with seating for 6 and (at the time) a 4 cyl for gas mileage was the most important. The car handles awesome (zoom zoom) and has been extremely reliable. But the handling is due in part to the low profile soft rubber tires that you have to use. Even if you keep your rotation schedule you'll be lucky to get 30k miles out of a set, and at $500 to $600 per having a long commute = a new set of tires per year. And it's not ideal for a big family trip, since once you have the 3 row seating in place your "trunk space" is limited to a few cubic feet and cannot hold more than a few folding chairs and a small bag. But for the other 99% of usage time it's great. It's a safe vehicle, dependable, kinda sporty and it seems to have held it's value. I've put 199,000 miles on it and have no plans to replace it any time soon."

Bad paint job, very noisy inside, mech. problems

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"Paint job is razor thin. any little nick will show primer underneath. Bird stuff on the hood lifted dime size dots of paint. Suspension makes constant knocking noise after just couple of years. Very noisy inside"

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

"To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. However I think that's just the maker guarding against the backlash that might result from some idiot towing way too much for the light duty transmission. I found a good class-1 hitch specifically designed for the Mazda 5 that I had put on our 2008 Mazda 5 and towed a U-Haul 5' x 8' box trailer full of furniture twice from Oklahoma to Tennessee. Total weight was less than 2K pounds and I took it very easy accelerating. But it pulled just fine and no strain on the drive train. I also found a YouTube video showing an install of this hitch. I think those two OK-TN trips may have caused the rear tires, which were aging anyway, to each slip a belt, so maybe the trailer was a bit over-weight or maybe the typically rough highways in OK and AR put a beating on the tires with the added weight on them. Can't be sure. In any case the Mazda 5 would certainly have no problem towing a pop-up camper or an open trailer with a lawn tractor on it. I wouldn't haul yards of gravel or lots of lumber, etc., and just go easy on loading if you pull a box trailer. And just to be safe, accelerate lightly. As for long trips, it's comfortable enough. The front seats are heated and 4-way adjustable manually. I do miss the 6-way power adjust of the Town and Country but the heavy motors were probably one of the many things sacrificed to get the overall weight down and the fuel economy up, which for us has been as high as 28 gallons per mile highway. Loaded down we'll get about 23 to 26 depending on road conditions and wind. One major complaint: the six CD changer that came standard with the Grand Touring is totally worthless. The place I bought the van was kind to replace the whole entertainment system with a new but identical system and within one day the CD changer wouldn't work properly. The receiver and sound system is quite good, though, and we love the integrated voice and steering wheel controls for our smart phones. But we plan to buy and install a new system at Best buy."

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

Great family and or teen car for college

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

"Loved it selling it - but would do it all again"

A grocery-getter that doesn't act like it!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "24 MPG, agile, fun to drive, 6 passenger"

Cons: "Dash lighting control, limited room in front"

"If you love driving, but need a van, this is the car for you! Better than average MPG (24 city when I'm not trying) for a mini-van and responsive driving. Starts getting cramped for anyone over 6'1". Fit a family of 5 inside for a vacation. Cartop carrier for vacation a NECESSITY. Back doors are sliders-wicked convenient! All you have to do is watch Mazda racing, the high-revving MX-5s, to know these cars are reliable."

Quality of a Lexus for the price of a Mazda

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, quality of workmanship, practicality"

Cons: "No daytime running lights, no automatic door lock"

"We have owned this car for 3.5 years now. This is the best value we have ever gotten in a car. The quality of workmanship is extraordinary. This is a true Lexus quality car. With two little kids and occasional visitors, this car fits our needs. It is small enough to not feel like delivery truck when driven or parked in the garage but the sliding doors and large trunk space still provide the benefits of a minivan. It fits two strollers and all the stuff our kids need. They could get in an out by themselves at the age of two. You can also fold down the second row sets and haul large pieces of furniture in it. The standard equipment is great, and includes automatic AC and traction control. We are expecting our 3rd kid and we feel we have outgrown it but for a starting family this is a perfect choice. Couple of things that are missing are the daytime running lights and automatic door lock, which are not available in the 2010 model and you would expect them standard in a family oriented car."

great value

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

"drives and parks like a small car but has great interior room"

Great for families with small kids!

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, versatile, value"

Cons: "Could use more power, but fun to drive anyway"

"This has been a great car for our family. We bought a 1 year old used Mazda5. It was a great buy at a great price, very low miles, and fit our family perfectly (we had 4 small kids ages 5, 4, & 2 year old twins at the time). The kids are older now, and we've pretty much out grown the vehicle. But all though we now have a full-size minivan and an SUV, we still have a special place in our hearts for this vehicle, and can't bear to part with it. It gets great gas mileage and is fun to drive. It's been a great car, served our family well, and we simply love it!"

this is a great vehicle. Very reliable

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

"This has been a great vehicle for my family. It is very comfortable and I love the safety features!"

Great Car for a Young Family of 4

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "cheap, fun, really roomy, Mazda driving experience"

Cons: "Avg MPG, low-profile tires, not good for 3+ kids"

"We've had our car a little over a year and put almost 20k on it. Pros - Fun to drive, Lots of cargo space for small footprint, Sporty-ish exterior, good value for the relatively-low purchase price, Love the sliding doors! Cons - MPG is unimpressive (23 avg for us), Driver's seat is pretty tight for large people, must use low-profile tires and they wear down quickly, interior is boring, 3rd-row seats only work for children All things considered we really like this car - it's literally the only car my wife has ever enjoyed driving! We can deal with the MPG although I miss the 32 MPG I was getting from the Accord this replaced. We really love the 2nd row for our kids (7&5): dual sliding doors are large and awesome, seats are roomy - great for car seats - and sit up nice and high, dedicated 2nd row cold air vent is great for warm summer weather. These 2nd row assets really set this above typical sedans in our mind, AND you get the expansive cargo room of a hatch-back with pop-up 3rd row if the grandparents ever need to ride with us. This wouldn't work for us if we had 3 kids, but we love it for our family of 4."

Great car, versatile, fun, good value

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Handling, versitility,"

Cons: "Traction when starting, rack noise, gas milage"

"I bought this new at the end of 2008. Found it by accident while checking legroom on the 3, and CR7. I was comparing it to Fits, and used minivans. More fun to drive than my Odyssey (which I still like a lot). Handles great. A bit slow on accel response in auto, but switching to manual mode fixes that. Over torqued at the low end, it is pretty easy to spin the tires at a stop sign, especially when wet. Interior space is excellent. I am 6'4" and can wear a cowboy hat in the drivers seat. I fit reasonably in the second row of seats also. The third row is only big enough for kids under 11. Second row cup holders are in the fold out center console. There is always something in the back, my mtn bike, sports gear bags, kids, groceries etc. It all fits. The seats fold to a flat surface. The tailgate is easy to open with full hands. Unusually loud noise using my thule rooftop rack, compared to having it on an Accord, Bonneville, Catera, and Odyssey. Unbearable over 35 mph. I resorted to homemade streamling the bars. Aero style bars might work better. Gas milage is ok, about the same as the Odyssey."

love Love LOVE this car!

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Great Value; Roomy; Fun Drive;Terrific Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Rear should also heat, not just a/c."

"Car has been in two accidents and had things replaced like shocks, bearings, and engine mounts but overall I still Love this car (bought new in 2009). I am a "voluptuous" woman and do not feel 'cramped' in the car. The versatility of having three rows of seating is wonderful. They fold flat when needed which turns my car into a bit of truck for hauling mulch and bicycles. I get about 330 miles to a tank with a mixture of city & highway driving. Draw backs are rear vent system only does A/C and not heat. Seems to go through tires quickly."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfy! Great with gas!"

Cons: "a little more room for 3rd row legs lots to clean"

"Great car! Very convenient! Has no astray or lighter but I like that!"

Not really satisfied with this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks good, price is fair."

Cons: "Uncomfortable, blinds spots, small gas tank."

"Here are the reason I'm not satisfied with this vehicle. 1-Blind spots. I've never had a vehicle with so many blind spots. 2- Cockpit is designed for a small person not an average person. 3-Middle row has no cup holder. Come on, we are in the 21st Century. This model has been out since 2006 so you would think they could have improved this situation. I have yet to back up straight, as all other cars I have driven (24) you follow the body line and you back up straight, not this vehicle. Mileage is not so good, not as advertised, highway or city driving."

I feel smart when I drive mine

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "stickshift, value, versatility, cost of ownership"

Cons: "The carpet could be more durable"

"I bought my 06 Mazda5 Sport new in 2006. I had looked at the 5 for some time before making the purchase and tested it against the sportier Mazda3 hatchback. I purchased the 5 primarily because of it's incredible value....the features available for such a low price was so impressive. I have only had one unscheduled service stop when the air conditioning compressor failed prematurely at approximately 27000 miles. The wait for a replacement was inordinately long but it has worked perfectly since....blasting cold air on the hottest summer day in Buffalo. The fix was graciously covered under warranty. Since the ac fix, I have had only one unscheduled repair stop on my 5-speed manual equipped Mazda5. I have replaced the tires at least four times (value tip: ask for all-season tires....they cost far less than the standard sport tires) although the handling does suffer a little bit. I replaced the rear shocks around the 120000 mile mark. I replaced the brake pads only once around 80000 miles. I have had zero problems otherwise. I like the utility and versatility of the Mazda5. I have hauled large pieces of furniture with ease....I even hauled a full-size refrigerator from Buffalo to Toronto last year. I seldom have more than four people in my vehicle so the back seats spend most of their time folded flat. The cargo shield behind the third row seats is brilliant and makes hauling delicate items very worry-free. I am also still impressed with my vehicle's road manners. The car handles better than most sedans and even some sporty cars. The driving position is commanding, the manual seat adjusters are intuitive to use and the instrument panel is very well laid out and distraction-free. The only gripe I have is that the instrument panel lighting is less than adequate. I have friends who have traveled throughout Europe and enjoy renting sporty cars that we can't get here. They always comment on how beautifully the 5 drives and handles and the 5-speed manual makes it even more engaging. I had one accident and one collision since 2006. I was struck from behind in a severe collision that did about $4000 damage to the back of my vehicle. The structural integrity held up beautifully despite the amount of damage. The car is still squeak and rattle free after 140000 miles (I wish I could say the same about my back.) I also had to replace the windshield three times. I once replaced the windshield due to my hitting a large piece of steel diamond plate that fell off a truck driving ahead of me in 4-lane, busy 75mph+ traffic (QEW in Toronto) I mention this because had I not been able to manoeuver as well the diamond plate would have gone through the windshield. I did hit the metal but it only tore the front bumper cover in half, smashed the grille, the plastic engine shroud and the radiator. The repairs were another $1700 but the car still drives like NEW! I currently have over 141,000 miles on my Mazda5. I paid it off over two years ago and I look forward to many more miles in what is unquestionably the best of 20+ cars I have owned over almost 30 years.....that list includes BMW, Honda, Mazda, Ford and Merkur(don't ask.) I feel intelligent everytime I drive! Oh, I forgot to mention that the fuel efficiency has been great, average of about 25mpg. Oh, and the turning circle is the smallest of any vehicle I have ever driven. Oh, and the car has maintained it's like new appearance and luster despite it's age. I could go on and on and on....."

One heck of a high mileage vehicle!

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Rough running tires, needs daytime lights"

"You may not believe this, but I'm getting ready to purchase my company vehicle that I've driven over 293,000 miles in four years since I received it as new. Other than the headlights burning out frequently, the power steering assist pump replaced under warranty, the a/c compressor replaced at 110,000 and routine maintenance it's been a great vehicle. As you can imagine, I was driving about 1,400 miles a week with mostly highway miles on cruise control. It averaged 27 mpg, with occasionally getting 30 mpg. Mazda should change the lower profile tires for more comfortable tires."