2009 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Mazda5 for a family of 6

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"I had a small sedan that I was a bit sad to sell, but with four kids, it just was too difficult to not have a second vehicle to take us around. I have a large minivan that gets about 20 MPG, but it is a land whale and not great in traffic nor parking lots. The 2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring has been a great car for us. It is nimble and speedy in traffic, the automatic/manual shifting is available for if I want a bit more fun and the quad seating for six is great. My kids are all under ten years old, so the leg room issues in the back are not a problem in the back, though I'd like a little more space for the driver. Would this be the preferred vehicle for six NFL linebackers? Probably not. But for a family, it has been very nice, even when my parents change the composition to 4 adults and 2 kids. The gas mileage has been around the listed of 24 MPG, with a couple of times getting to 27 MPG. After a year's driving, the only problem was a faulty gas cap that would not allow me to fill the tank, and the same thing happened with the replacement. My dealership told me the problem was fixed so hopefully this third gas cap won't have a problem. I love the features on it that I have not previously had in a car: automatic windshield wipers, automatic temperature control, automatic lights that also can be turned off (unlike my minivan), nice controls at the hands on the wheel, side doors that easily open for a five year old, storage under the middle seats. I don't find myself using the adjustable feature on the HID headlights, though I like how bright they are. The four seats in the back also fold down and there is a surprising amount of storage capacity for a vehicle that's more than half a foot shorter than the Camry. Speaking of which, the Mazda5 has about three times the maximum cargo capacity than the Camry and the turning radius is again more than half a foot shorter than said sedan. I have the GT model, and it was certainly worth the price for the included upgrades of leather, sound, moon roof and Blue-tooth phone connection, which is very easy to use. We take the large minivan out for vacations, but the Mazda5 drives so well it has us thinking of buying a roof racket and luggage holder. I would definitely buy this vehicle again, even though I am not a Mazda fan. There are no other vehicles with the sliding doors that are this versatile at this size and performance with this seating at this price."

Meets all the needs!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"We purchased this car a while back and have been very pleased with the gas mileage as well as the sportiness and handling. We have traveled long distances and around town and everything is great about the M5. We think it is the best kept secret of mini(micro-mini) vans. MPG city is about 20, on hwy we have gotten 30 with the car loaded down, but regularly about 28. Fits our large fam, and saves on gas! What else could you want in a daily ride??"

Best bang for the buck.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "vibration, wind noise, tire wear unevenly"

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

"Mazda5 black, sport, has leather option, fun to shift manual. The rear sliding doors are great with my two young boys. Folding seats makes for plenty of room for gear. I can see over most traffic. I think high brake light on back make it easy to keep cars from tailgating. The tires are 205/50-17’s which I think is too sporty for a minivan. The ground clearance limits it to street driving though watch out for steep driveways. I have attempted to put snow chains and pretty much gave up as there’s little room to get your arm between the tire and wheel well. The 2.3 gas engine model averages 24-25MPG combined. The tire wear unevenly and there is no camber adjustment for rear suspension. There is a kit that can be installed for $700 by the pros."

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

Great Car for a familiy

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Great Car, lots of space, great for all ages"

Cons: "no rear AC, only one arm rest n front, small tires"

"Perfect family car but also practical for the college student! I had this car in college and thru my first family. Works great for traveling, lots of room. The storage spaces under the seat is great during shopping season. Only bad thing... Tires couldn't handle my driving. I needed something with bigger/thicker tires. The Mazda5 has sporty tires that can't handle bumps and bruises all too well... Overall it is a great car! Would recommend this car to all ages, all sizes!"

The Swiss Army Knife of Vans!

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"My wife bought a used 2006 Mazda5 Sport Automatic...and we LOVE it!. This van is truly "mini" and really fun to drive. It handles like a sporty car and has a really tight turning radius which makes it very easy to park. You don't get that floating feeling you get when driving a larger minivan like an MPV or Honda Odyssey. While the rear 2 rows of seats cannot be removed, they flip down real easily. It's also very easy to get in and out of. The seat height is such that you just plop down in the seat - no big step up like on some larger vans. The van we bought had an aftermarket DVD system installed, which the kids really enjoy. The factory AM/FM multi-CD player sounds very, very good. The integrated radio controls on the steering wheel (along with cruise control) is a nice touch. Hats off to Mazda for creating what I think is one of the most practical, good looking, fun to drive minivans out there. The only thing you give up VS a larger minivan is seating for one more person (the Mazda5 seats 6) and space behind the rear seat. I bought the optional roof rack and a hard shell luggage roof carrier and plan to use them for longer trips. Overall, I couldn't be happier. I have read reviews about it being under powered, but I have found it to be plenty quick enough for me. I haven't paid much attention to fuel economy, but I figure it has to be better than the larger vans since it has only a 4 cylinder engine. If you are hesitant to buy a minvan like I was, choose the Mazda5. It really is a joy to own and drive! The only mechanical issue we've had so far was a knocking sound from the front end. The front stabilizer bushing were replaced by the dealer for free as there was a tech bulletin out on this, which is why I only gave 4 starts for reliability. Overall - I highly recommend this van! ZOOM ZOOM!!!"