2008 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 247 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Bad paint job, very noisy inside, mech. problems

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"Paint job is razor thin. any little nick will show primer underneath. Bird stuff on the hood lifted dime size dots of paint. Suspension makes constant knocking noise after just couple of years. Very noisy inside"

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

"To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. However I think that's just the maker guarding against the backlash that might result from some idiot towing way too much for the light duty transmission. I found a good class-1 hitch specifically designed for the Mazda 5 that I had put on our 2008 Mazda 5 and towed a U-Haul 5' x 8' box trailer full of furniture twice from Oklahoma to Tennessee. Total weight was less than 2K pounds and I took it very easy accelerating. But it pulled just fine and no strain on the drive train. I also found a YouTube video showing an install of this hitch. I think those two OK-TN trips may have caused the rear tires, which were aging anyway, to each slip a belt, so maybe the trailer was a bit over-weight or maybe the typically rough highways in OK and AR put a beating on the tires with the added weight on them. Can't be sure. In any case the Mazda 5 would certainly have no problem towing a pop-up camper or an open trailer with a lawn tractor on it. I wouldn't haul yards of gravel or lots of lumber, etc., and just go easy on loading if you pull a box trailer. And just to be safe, accelerate lightly. As for long trips, it's comfortable enough. The front seats are heated and 4-way adjustable manually. I do miss the 6-way power adjust of the Town and Country but the heavy motors were probably one of the many things sacrificed to get the overall weight down and the fuel economy up, which for us has been as high as 28 gallons per mile highway. Loaded down we'll get about 23 to 26 depending on road conditions and wind. One major complaint: the six CD changer that came standard with the Grand Touring is totally worthless. The place I bought the van was kind to replace the whole entertainment system with a new but identical system and within one day the CD changer wouldn't work properly. The receiver and sound system is quite good, though, and we love the integrated voice and steering wheel controls for our smart phones. But we plan to buy and install a new system at Best buy."

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

Great family and or teen car for college

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

"Loved it selling it - but would do it all again"

A grocery-getter that doesn't act like it!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "24 MPG, agile, fun to drive, 6 passenger"

Cons: "Dash lighting control, limited room in front"

"If you love driving, but need a van, this is the car for you! Better than average MPG (24 city when I'm not trying) for a mini-van and responsive driving. Starts getting cramped for anyone over 6'1". Fit a family of 5 inside for a vacation. Cartop carrier for vacation a NECESSITY. Back doors are sliders-wicked convenient! All you have to do is watch Mazda racing, the high-revving MX-5s, to know these cars are reliable."