2008 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 252 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great Car for a Young Family of 4

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "cheap, fun, really roomy, Mazda driving experience"

Cons: "Avg MPG, low-profile tires, not good for 3+ kids"

"We've had our car a little over a year and put almost 20k on it. Pros - Fun to drive, Lots of cargo space for small footprint, Sporty-ish exterior, good value for the relatively-low purchase price, Love the sliding doors! Cons - MPG is unimpressive (23 avg for us), Driver's seat is pretty tight for large people, must use low-profile tires and they wear down quickly, interior is boring, 3rd-row seats only work for children All things considered we really like this car - it's literally the only car my wife has ever enjoyed driving! We can deal with the MPG although I miss the 32 MPG I was getting from the Accord this replaced. We really love the 2nd row for our kids (7&5): dual sliding doors are large and awesome, seats are roomy - great for car seats - and sit up nice and high, dedicated 2nd row cold air vent is great for warm summer weather. These 2nd row assets really set this above typical sedans in our mind, AND you get the expansive cargo room of a hatch-back with pop-up 3rd row if the grandparents ever need to ride with us. This wouldn't work for us if we had 3 kids, but we love it for our family of 4."

best family car

By on Monday, July 12, 2010

"Bought it because didn't want a minivan but needed a car for a family of 5. Never owned a Mazda before and was a bit reluctant to buy but did anyways. Really glad I did. In 2 years had no problems, so reliability it's been excellent so far. Performance is great. To those that say/think a 4-cylinder engine cannot have sufficient power I say: try the zoom-zoom. Even with 2 (big) adults, 2 young children and a teenager the engine is always on top of the situation, if anything too much so. I got 2 speeding tickets and I could barely feel like I was going 75 mph on the highway. The transmission is my favorite feature. In automatic mode it works great, very smooth and shifting up and down at the appropriate time, but to get teh most out of it use it in manual mode. My wife just didn't want to deal with it until I made her try. Now she is always in manual too and loves to shift down when slowing before a turn, makes her feel like she is "in control" of the vehicle. Fuel mileage is great both in the city and the highway mostly because the engine is so peppy that you need to use a minimum of the gas pedal at anytime. The car being so light also helps a lot to keep fuel burn down. The only thing I didn't like was the brakes but when time came to replace them I just had premium rotors and pads (350$) installed and now the car stops on a dime. Trunk space is great with the rear seats down but limited if 6 passengers on board. If you need lots of trunk space and normally have 6 people on board then you need a full size minivan. The ride is quiet inside the car and very comfortable for everybody, however the 3 row seats are good for children up to 9-10 years old, after that they would be cramped. The 2nd row seats are fine for kids or adults and the driving seat is comfortable for me (6'3" and 210 lbs). I love the "sit-high" stance compared with my other car (Ford taurus) where I seat much lower. Air conditioner is good for front and middle seats but in the summer cool the car down for a few minutes before driving if you have 5 or 6 people riding. I really like this car bause it saved me a ton of money first when I purchased it and then every time at the pump, and has delivered everything that was supposed to."

Very practical, unlike any other

By on Sunday, November 01, 2009

"Bought a 2008 Touring model used with 33,000 miles on it for $15k and have now owned it for approximately 3 months. All in all, I really like this car but will stop short of declaring neverending love and devotion. The fuel economy is pretty darned good. I do love the utility of the sliding doors (especially with kids in carseats!) and that the rear windows go down. And I love that it doesn't look or feel like a minivan. Everyone is shocked when I tell them that it's technically a minivan. Personally, I think of it as a crossover with sliding doors. As other reviews will note, the third row is a joke. We have used it once in a pinch, and it's OK, but 99% of the time, it is folded down so we can actually have useful space in the back. My biggest complaint about the car is the lack of any storage for the driver! Where am I supposed to put my sunglasses? A pen? Coins for tolls? A map? (The map pocket is behind the driver's seat - should be the passenger seat so I can actually reach it from the driver's seat.) I can't fit much in the door pockets, either, and the glove box is pretty much filled up with just the manual in there. NONE of the storage compartments are covered, so there's no easy way to hide my phone while I run into a convenience store or something. Even the power outlet is in an inconvenient location, because the cord starts to get in the way of the cup holders. I have noticed a squeaking/grinding noise with the brakes, but I've been assured by the dealer and an independent party that they are fine. Still investigating that noise. So, while I don't love it, I don't think there would have been another car to fit our needs (Crossovers have sliding doors and worse fuel economy; SUVs cost much more and also have worse fuel economy; a regular sedan wouldn't be big enough, a "real" minivan would be WAY too big and, again, poor fuel economy). I do hope there are more options like this when I make my next car purchase, because the idea is sound but there are many tweaks that could make the everyday driving experience much better"

Great overall vehicle, gas mileage and space

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "Unbelievably good gas mileage around town"

Cons: "slightly cramped front seats for a person 6 foot 3 inches"

"Bought the Mazda5 to have more space than in my standard 4 door sedan - it has a lot of space! And bought for the reasonable price compared to competition. And bought because gas mileage rating was better than competion - after 12,000 miles I've averaged exactly 30mpg, significantly higher than the sticker advertised - most amazingly, 32mpg city and 28 highway - 28 highway on four 1,500 mile trips probably because avg 70-75 mph - gets much better gas mileage at slow speeds. Around town - 32 mpg. I calculated mileage by writing down exact mileage and gallons at each fillup (not by the automated mpg that displays), so this mpg calculation is very accurate - go slow if you want unbelievable gas mileage - I expected low 20's around town."

Mazda5 for a family of 6

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"I had a small sedan that I was a bit sad to sell, but with four kids, it just was too difficult to not have a second vehicle to take us around. I have a large minivan that gets about 20 MPG, but it is a land whale and not great in traffic nor parking lots. The 2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring has been a great car for us. It is nimble and speedy in traffic, the automatic/manual shifting is available for if I want a bit more fun and the quad seating for six is great. My kids are all under ten years old, so the leg room issues in the back are not a problem in the back, though I'd like a little more space for the driver. Would this be the preferred vehicle for six NFL linebackers? Probably not. But for a family, it has been very nice, even when my parents change the composition to 4 adults and 2 kids. The gas mileage has been around the listed of 24 MPG, with a couple of times getting to 27 MPG. After a year's driving, the only problem was a faulty gas cap that would not allow me to fill the tank, and the same thing happened with the replacement. My dealership told me the problem was fixed so hopefully this third gas cap won't have a problem. I love the features on it that I have not previously had in a car: automatic windshield wipers, automatic temperature control, automatic lights that also can be turned off (unlike my minivan), nice controls at the hands on the wheel, side doors that easily open for a five year old, storage under the middle seats. I don't find myself using the adjustable feature on the HID headlights, though I like how bright they are. The four seats in the back also fold down and there is a surprising amount of storage capacity for a vehicle that's more than half a foot shorter than the Camry. Speaking of which, the Mazda5 has about three times the maximum cargo capacity than the Camry and the turning radius is again more than half a foot shorter than said sedan. I have the GT model, and it was certainly worth the price for the included upgrades of leather, sound, moon roof and Blue-tooth phone connection, which is very easy to use. We take the large minivan out for vacations, but the Mazda5 drives so well it has us thinking of buying a roof racket and luggage holder. I would definitely buy this vehicle again, even though I am not a Mazda fan. There are no other vehicles with the sliding doors that are this versatile at this size and performance with this seating at this price."

Meets all the needs!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"We purchased this car a while back and have been very pleased with the gas mileage as well as the sportiness and handling. We have traveled long distances and around town and everything is great about the M5. We think it is the best kept secret of mini(micro-mini) vans. MPG city is about 20, on hwy we have gotten 30 with the car loaded down, but regularly about 28. Fits our large fam, and saves on gas! What else could you want in a daily ride??"

One heck of a high mileage vehicle!

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Rough running tires, needs daytime lights"

"You may not believe this, but I'm getting ready to purchase my company vehicle that I've driven over 293,000 miles in four years since I received it as new. Other than the headlights burning out frequently, the power steering assist pump replaced under warranty, the a/c compressor replaced at 110,000 and routine maintenance it's been a great vehicle. As you can imagine, I was driving about 1,400 miles a week with mostly highway miles on cruise control. It averaged 27 mpg, with occasionally getting 30 mpg. Mazda should change the lower profile tires for more comfortable tires."

Best bang for the buck.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "vibration, wind noise, tire wear unevenly"

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

"Mazda5 black, sport, has leather option, fun to shift manual. The rear sliding doors are great with my two young boys. Folding seats makes for plenty of room for gear. I can see over most traffic. I think high brake light on back make it easy to keep cars from tailgating. The tires are 205/50-17’s which I think is too sporty for a minivan. The ground clearance limits it to street driving though watch out for steep driveways. I have attempted to put snow chains and pretty much gave up as there’s little room to get your arm between the tire and wheel well. The 2.3 gas engine model averages 24-25MPG combined. The tire wear unevenly and there is no camber adjustment for rear suspension. There is a kit that can be installed for $700 by the pros."

I love the outdoors and need more ground clearance.

Great Car for a familiy

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Great Car, lots of space, great for all ages"

Cons: "no rear AC, only one arm rest n front, small tires"

"Perfect family car but also practical for the college student! I had this car in college and thru my first family. Works great for traveling, lots of room. The storage spaces under the seat is great during shopping season. Only bad thing... Tires couldn't handle my driving. I needed something with bigger/thicker tires. The Mazda5 has sporty tires that can't handle bumps and bruises all too well... Overall it is a great car! Would recommend this car to all ages, all sizes!"

The Swiss Army Knife of Vans!

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"My wife bought a used 2006 Mazda5 Sport Automatic...and we LOVE it!. This van is truly "mini" and really fun to drive. It handles like a sporty car and has a really tight turning radius which makes it very easy to park. You don't get that floating feeling you get when driving a larger minivan like an MPV or Honda Odyssey. While the rear 2 rows of seats cannot be removed, they flip down real easily. It's also very easy to get in and out of. The seat height is such that you just plop down in the seat - no big step up like on some larger vans. The van we bought had an aftermarket DVD system installed, which the kids really enjoy. The factory AM/FM multi-CD player sounds very, very good. The integrated radio controls on the steering wheel (along with cruise control) is a nice touch. Hats off to Mazda for creating what I think is one of the most practical, good looking, fun to drive minivans out there. The only thing you give up VS a larger minivan is seating for one more person (the Mazda5 seats 6) and space behind the rear seat. I bought the optional roof rack and a hard shell luggage roof carrier and plan to use them for longer trips. Overall, I couldn't be happier. I have read reviews about it being under powered, but I have found it to be plenty quick enough for me. I haven't paid much attention to fuel economy, but I figure it has to be better than the larger vans since it has only a 4 cylinder engine. If you are hesitant to buy a minvan like I was, choose the Mazda5. It really is a joy to own and drive! The only mechanical issue we've had so far was a knocking sound from the front end. The front stabilizer bushing were replaced by the dealer for free as there was a tech bulletin out on this, which is why I only gave 4 starts for reliability. Overall - I highly recommend this van! ZOOM ZOOM!!!"

Awesome!

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"Pros: looks sporty hot, car handles great, smooth rides, turns are better than anyother minivvan, you will not feel the tilt, comfortable seats that can adjust to have a wide open front view. Cons: if you live in the upper states, during the winter time the shocks and struts are very stiff you can hear squeaks on every bump in the road, breaks squeaks when you reverse your car. took to dealer cannot find anything, only happens in the winter time"

Postives & Negatives

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I went into the dealership to purchase a Tribute and walked out with the Mazda 5. I don't have kids but fell in love with the car and all the extra features you get for the money that the Tribute doesn't offer. The mini is very roomy for 4 and has great storage space in the back with the seats down. Love all the extras like the moon roof, controls for the radio on the steering wheel, 6 disc changer and safety features of anti lock brakes, front & side air bags. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the car and how unique it is. Great exterior features too! Looks very sporty. Only a few negatives: Major one is that there are no a/c vents in the back. Living in Florida this is a huge negative when you have people sitting in the back. Also, no armrest for the front passenger seat (of course thats the main passenger complaint) and last...the car has get up and go only when there are 2 people in the car. Once you get 4 adults or more, the car has trouble getting off to a quick start. I suggest a bigger engine on it since it is a heavier car than the Mazda 3 that has the same engine. If they can fix those 3 things I think the car would rate a 10. Currently I rate it an overall 8. Zoom Zoom."

Right For The Times

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008

"I have 30 months and over 100,000 miles in my 2006 Mazda5. I average 29mpg in decidedly heavy interstate driving but 27-28mpg average on the weekends chasing my 5 children around. I know of no other vehicle that carries 6 in relative comfort, gets exceptional mileage, and costs $20,000. Reliability is exceptional, maintenance reasonable (7500 mi between oil changes), and utility unparalleled. I bought the roof rack - which installs in 5 minutes - for $200 and a $600 Thule cargo box so I can carry all the kids and stuff my ex wife's $33,000 Tahoe can at twice the MPG. I call that a deal."

Great car

By on Friday, April 11, 2008

"Owned it for almost 2 years, 36,000 miles Good: great MPG, fun to drive, los of room with seats down, good looks, comfortable Bad: tire wore out @30,000 miles, sun visors too short, no passenger arm rest, rear cargo light useless, no rear air The good far out-wieghs the bad, I am actually being somewhat not-picky about the bad stuff. The 2008 model corrects the arm rest and A/C issue."

Sport Wagon

By on Saturday, October 06, 2007

"I was looking for a sport utility vehicle that had more 'sport' while not sacrificing the 'utility'. And a manual transmission was a mandatory feature. This left me with very few choices. Even though Mazda doesn't aknolwedge this cars existance, I remembered seeing one. So after test driving a Sport and a Touring, I chose the Touring. It's not a luxury car, it's a well designed, great handling economy car. But it's not a car (or a minivan). It's a tall wagon. Other companies would have placed buldging fender flares and psuedo skid plates and made it a Soft-Roader (a fake SUV). But that's exactly what I didn't want. I wanted something with good utility, that was fun to drive (on the road) and that looked stylish. The Mazda5 delivers this and more. Mazda should advertise this car and maybe people will learn that someone does make a sporty vehicle that does not sacrifice the utility."

Versatile

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"I have put over 50,000 miles in 2 years. I am 6'2 and weigh too much. The car is very comfortable. I have driven a few 12 hour trips in comfort. Very easy to get in and out. Gas mileage depends on your driving style. I can get anywhere from 24 to 30 M.P.G. (U.S.) Air Conditioner works very well even on 100 degree days. I have had the windows tinted, which made a very big difference. I also have the Navigation System. This is my first time buying the Nav System, but I will never get a car without one now!"

By on Monday, June 18, 2007

"This vehicle is a good buy for the price. What other 6 seater can you get for under $20k? It is a good alternative for those who need more passenger room than a standard car, but cannot afford a minivan."

Awesome Ride

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"I have owned the "5" for a year. I drove mini-vans and a bmw's for 20 years when we had kids. Now that the kids are gone - this is the best of both worlds. The styling is head turning (especially since I tinted the windows). It is my silver bullet. Would like it to be faster, but the handling rivals my beamers - and the versitility of the space is incredible. What a ride - Awesome!"

sport wagon

By on Monday, January 07, 2008

"I had a 2004 Mazda MPV LX piror this car. The MPV was lost in a read-ended accident on the highway and I got 15102 from insurance comapny. I looked around for a van to replace my mpv but cannot found any from toyota, honda, ....... at price below 20k. One day, I saw there are many rental Mazda 5 for sell at many place for a very cheap price. I got a 2007 used at 14900 with fee and tax included. I am very surprised to find this microvan has very good handling. Fewer body roll than most of sendans. This is a good car that offers balance of economic, performance and utility. I highly recommand it"

this is a great vehicle. Very reliable

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

"This has been a great vehicle for my family. It is very comfortable and I love the safety features!"

Bad suspension, sporty drive

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Sporty driving. Roomy. Nice handling."

Cons: "Suspension. Suspension. Suspension."

"Already replaced part of the suspension which seems designed for perfect roads only. Noisy over 60 mph. Excellent driving position and feels even sporty. Great at the pump, either if you drive it in town or travel. Allignment of wheels needed more frequently than in other models I had. Service costs at Mazda dealers quite affordable and justifies choice. A/C vents become noisier after some years."

GREAT family vehicle

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

Pros: "6 passeger, great handling,versatile"

Cons: "road noise, lack of storage with 6 passengers"

"a bit short on storage if you have 6 passengers and the road noise is a bit bothersome, but a great car for families! We love the versatility. We have recommended the Mazda5 to several people."

Good So Far

By on Friday, June 25, 2010

"We bought our 2008 Mazda 5 used last year and have been happy so far. Love the sliding doors to get the kids in and out and the storage in the back (with 3rd row folded down) is perfect for small families. I went to pick-up a patio set with one of my kids in the 2nd row and everything still fit (rectangle table and 4 chairs and umbrella, etc). My only issue is that the low-profile tires don't do well in the New England snow at all. They make the road feel very slippery. If I don't have to go out when it snows, I stay in. With my old car (with regular tires) I'd venture out with no worries. Also, plugging in an iPod is cool, but it would be even cooler if you could control it (skip a song, etc) from the car radio instead of the iPod itself. Of course, this is not the enod of the world, it just would be nice."

Great, affordable family car

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"I bought the Mazda5 in May 2008 and have had no problems. I drive every day but mostly short distances, so I only have about 13,000 miles. Unless your hauling large items, the Mazda5 has a peppy engine and is easy to drive and maneuver. This car is perfect for young families with one or two children. The sliding, minivan-style doors are wonderful and it's easy to get my son in and out. I've also been amazed at the amount of cargo space when all the seats are laid flat. I've moved 6-foot-tall entertainment cabinets, large Step2 toys and other misc. furniture. Being 5-foot-3, the Mazda5 offers me plenty of space, but it could be a challenge for a very tall or very heavy person. Also, I'm currently pregnant with twins and, although I plan to keep the Mazda5, it's definitely going to be a tight squeeze. Probably not the best car for families with three or more children, unless you don't need much cargo space or already own a minivan. But overall, it's been a very affordable, reliable car to own and I get compliments on it all the time."

high maintenance

By on Thursday, March 11, 2010

"I bought this vehicle because it was partially owned by Ford at the time and it was the best priced vehicle that fit our needs. The only 2 complaints that I have are the low mpg and the high maintenance costs. I spent over $1200 on tires, rims, brakes and rotors in a 4 month period. Our car only has 32,000 miles! The newer models have a 5 speed auto instead of a 4. If you buy one with low profile tires, get rid of them immediately. The tires wore out in 28k miles and we had 1 cracked rim and 2 bent ones."