2007 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 249 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great Car for a Young Family of 4

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "cheap, fun, really roomy, Mazda driving experience"

Cons: "Avg MPG, low-profile tires, not good for 3+ kids"

"We've had our car a little over a year and put almost 20k on it. Pros - Fun to drive, Lots of cargo space for small footprint, Sporty-ish exterior, good value for the relatively-low purchase price, Love the sliding doors! Cons - MPG is unimpressive (23 avg for us), Driver's seat is pretty tight for large people, must use low-profile tires and they wear down quickly, interior is boring, 3rd-row seats only work for children All things considered we really like this car - it's literally the only car my wife has ever enjoyed driving! We can deal with the MPG although I miss the 32 MPG I was getting from the Accord this replaced. We really love the 2nd row for our kids (7&5): dual sliding doors are large and awesome, seats are roomy - great for car seats - and sit up nice and high, dedicated 2nd row cold air vent is great for warm summer weather. These 2nd row assets really set this above typical sedans in our mind, AND you get the expansive cargo room of a hatch-back with pop-up 3rd row if the grandparents ever need to ride with us. This wouldn't work for us if we had 3 kids, but we love it for our family of 4."

best family car

By on Monday, July 12, 2010

"Bought it because didn't want a minivan but needed a car for a family of 5. Never owned a Mazda before and was a bit reluctant to buy but did anyways. Really glad I did. In 2 years had no problems, so reliability it's been excellent so far. Performance is great. To those that say/think a 4-cylinder engine cannot have sufficient power I say: try the zoom-zoom. Even with 2 (big) adults, 2 young children and a teenager the engine is always on top of the situation, if anything too much so. I got 2 speeding tickets and I could barely feel like I was going 75 mph on the highway. The transmission is my favorite feature. In automatic mode it works great, very smooth and shifting up and down at the appropriate time, but to get teh most out of it use it in manual mode. My wife just didn't want to deal with it until I made her try. Now she is always in manual too and loves to shift down when slowing before a turn, makes her feel like she is "in control" of the vehicle. Fuel mileage is great both in the city and the highway mostly because the engine is so peppy that you need to use a minimum of the gas pedal at anytime. The car being so light also helps a lot to keep fuel burn down. The only thing I didn't like was the brakes but when time came to replace them I just had premium rotors and pads (350$) installed and now the car stops on a dime. Trunk space is great with the rear seats down but limited if 6 passengers on board. If you need lots of trunk space and normally have 6 people on board then you need a full size minivan. The ride is quiet inside the car and very comfortable for everybody, however the 3 row seats are good for children up to 9-10 years old, after that they would be cramped. The 2nd row seats are fine for kids or adults and the driving seat is comfortable for me (6'3" and 210 lbs). I love the "sit-high" stance compared with my other car (Ford taurus) where I seat much lower. Air conditioner is good for front and middle seats but in the summer cool the car down for a few minutes before driving if you have 5 or 6 people riding. I really like this car bause it saved me a ton of money first when I purchased it and then every time at the pump, and has delivered everything that was supposed to."

Very practical, unlike any other

By on Sunday, November 01, 2009

"Bought a 2008 Touring model used with 33,000 miles on it for $15k and have now owned it for approximately 3 months. All in all, I really like this car but will stop short of declaring neverending love and devotion. The fuel economy is pretty darned good. I do love the utility of the sliding doors (especially with kids in carseats!) and that the rear windows go down. And I love that it doesn't look or feel like a minivan. Everyone is shocked when I tell them that it's technically a minivan. Personally, I think of it as a crossover with sliding doors. As other reviews will note, the third row is a joke. We have used it once in a pinch, and it's OK, but 99% of the time, it is folded down so we can actually have useful space in the back. My biggest complaint about the car is the lack of any storage for the driver! Where am I supposed to put my sunglasses? A pen? Coins for tolls? A map? (The map pocket is behind the driver's seat - should be the passenger seat so I can actually reach it from the driver's seat.) I can't fit much in the door pockets, either, and the glove box is pretty much filled up with just the manual in there. NONE of the storage compartments are covered, so there's no easy way to hide my phone while I run into a convenience store or something. Even the power outlet is in an inconvenient location, because the cord starts to get in the way of the cup holders. I have noticed a squeaking/grinding noise with the brakes, but I've been assured by the dealer and an independent party that they are fine. Still investigating that noise. So, while I don't love it, I don't think there would have been another car to fit our needs (Crossovers have sliding doors and worse fuel economy; SUVs cost much more and also have worse fuel economy; a regular sedan wouldn't be big enough, a "real" minivan would be WAY too big and, again, poor fuel economy). I do hope there are more options like this when I make my next car purchase, because the idea is sound but there are many tweaks that could make the everyday driving experience much better"

"The Great Compromise"

By on Monday, January 17, 2011

"Doesn't sound like the best title in the world I know, but it is true and I believe compromise is a very very important part of buying a new vehicle. I wanted a good handling, high mpg, very versitile car with a manual transmission. I wanted a 6 speed, I wanted great low end grunt, and I wanted a good amount of cargo space. I wanted heated seats, a sunroof, and AWD. However, I needed a car that fit two car seats and still had extra space for 4 adults. I needed a car that could fit a ton of stuff for home projects and trips with the family, I needed a minivan. But the mazda 5 was able to be a jack of all trades. It has the manual (5 spd only), it handles better than any minivan and many sedans, it gets 30 plus mpgs if you drive right and it has enough low end grunt to keep up with traffic and stay around 2000 rpms. Its fun to drive yet i can fit 6 people, i can have the front seats all the way back with both car seats installed (i am 6'4" very important for me to have leg room). It looks better than most minivans, the interior is cheap but doesnt look that way of function that way. The seats look good and are comfy. The cargo room is amazing. I fit a kitcen table, 4 chairs a bench, an xbox, a cabinet, and a coffee table in the mazda 5 with room to spare. I bought the car out the door for 16500 brand new and i got a pair of Jacks (1 for all my needs and 1 for all my wants). The bad but not too bad. A few of the body panels on the car had outward bends in them when i bought the car, very weird and i dont know what caused them, however the dealer covered all the issues under warranty."

Great overall vehicle, gas mileage and space

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "Unbelievably good gas mileage around town"

Cons: "slightly cramped front seats for a person 6 foot 3 inches"

"Bought the Mazda5 to have more space than in my standard 4 door sedan - it has a lot of space! And bought for the reasonable price compared to competition. And bought because gas mileage rating was better than competion - after 12,000 miles I've averaged exactly 30mpg, significantly higher than the sticker advertised - most amazingly, 32mpg city and 28 highway - 28 highway on four 1,500 mile trips probably because avg 70-75 mph - gets much better gas mileage at slow speeds. Around town - 32 mpg. I calculated mileage by writing down exact mileage and gallons at each fillup (not by the automated mpg that displays), so this mpg calculation is very accurate - go slow if you want unbelievable gas mileage - I expected low 20's around town."